Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And where does that help us next season?

I’m concerned with this season. I want to win now. We can address the quarterback situation next year either through the draft or free agency. Heck Flacco could play another year even. I don’t think the colts are gonna do that though. They are going to stick with Richardson come hell or high water.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

We might accomplish making the  playoffs. Wouldn’t you want that? Would you rather a three win season with the hopes that Richardson might improve? What if he doesn’t? I’m sure most of the players on his team would rather have a shot at the playoffs.

honestly, I’d rather develop a potential future franchise qb than to potentially make the playoffs with a roster that is not going to make it to the SB.  Playing Flacco would be what we’ve done for the past almost 10 years with the “one qb away mentality”.  And I think we can all agree this team is not one qb away.  

look, every nfl team goes through this.  We just so happen to have a good enough roster to where we can trot our young developing qb out there.  I mean, we could be the patriots or panthers and force ourselves to play a vet because the supporting talent is THAT bad.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’m concerned with this season. I want to win now. We can address the quarterback situation next year either through the draft or free agency. Heck Flacco could play another year even. I don’t think the colts are gonna do that though. They are going to stick with Richardson come hell or high water.  

When you take a young QB you have to be prepared for some growing pains. Let’s eee where we are half way through the season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

AR doesn’t even need to takked to about the int. He knows he screwed up and took accountability. He is a grown man.

He needs to be talked to so coaches can find out what the heck he saw, why he threw it. “My bad” means nothing. All these guys are men but they still watch film and get corrected. Belichick used to carve up Brady in film study. If it’s good enough for TB, it’s good enough for AR. 

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

honestly, I’d rather develop a potential future franchise qb than to potentially make the playoffs with a roster that is not going to make it to the SB.  Playing Flacco would be what we’ve done for the past almost 10 years with the “one qb away mentality”.  And I think we can all agree this team is not one qb away.  

look, every nfl team goes through this.  We just so happen to have a good enough roster to where we can trot our young developing qb out there.  I mean, we could be the patriots or panthers and force ourselves to play a vet because the supporting talent is THAT bad.  

One thing Ballard got right was the Oline and dline. Those will always help a young QB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

1.  This is not a win now roster

2.  What qb could we draft next year and would we be bad enough to draft such qb?

3.  What FA qb could we sign and would we have the money and team to entice him to come here?

4.  What QB could we trade for and can we afford the capital we’d have to give up to acquire said qb?

14 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

We might accomplish making the  playoffs. Wouldn’t you want that? Would you rather a three win season with the hopes that Richardson might improve? What if he doesn’t? I’m sure most of the players on his team would rather have a shot at the playoffs.

I doubt the veteran players that just signed multi year deals want another stop gap qb for a season and then back to square one next year.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

IMG_3978.jpeg

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I doubt the veteran players that just signed multi year deals want another stop gap qb for a season and then back to square one next year.

Who’s to say Flacco couldn’t play another year or two?

3 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I totally disagree.  SS has to tell him before the kickoff that if he catches the ball in the EZ, to run it out just to kill the 2 minute warning. 

I mean this is basic coaching 101.  SS just seems like he is not very smart imo.  I also don't feel as if he holds people accountable, similar to Reich.  He takes JT out for the entire 4th Q last week for example, the Colts best players.  Beyond stupid.  And his obsession with running the ball up the middle....very Reich like....and not getting JT into open space is mind bottling. 

I agree SS should know this, but should not the ST coach be saying this??

22 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

IMG_3978.jpeg

Who’s to say Flacco couldn’t play another year or two?

While Flacco did an admirable job to end the season last year in Cleveland, he threw 2 interceptions in his playoff game last year and got blown out by Houston. 

The Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens isn’t really there anymore. And while his arm seems fine now, Father Time sneaks up quickly. 

Flacco would win us a few more games, maybe even reach the wildcard… but he won’t be enough for this team to be considered a Super Bowl contender. With Flacco we’d reach our usual mediocrity that so many hate. 

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

While Flacco did an admirable job to end the season last year in Cleveland, he threw 2 interceptions in his playoff game last year and got blown out by Houston. 

The Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens isn’t really there anymore. And while his arm seems fine now, Father Time sneaks up quickly. 

Flacco would win us a few more games, maybe even reach the wildcard… but he won’t be enough for this team to be considered a Super Bowl contender. With Flacco we’d reach our usual mediocrity that so many hate. 

You may be right…. But what do we get with AR? Maybe 3 more wins at best? No shot at the playoffs. A top five draft pick? I guess on the bright side we’re might get a new GM and D coordinator.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyEV said:

Btw, did AD Mitchell even get looked to this game? I don’t even remember seeing him out there!? Same question goes towards all these so-called TEs the Colts supposedly have!?

He did but on the one throw to him it was under thrown  and defender batted it down

Putting Flacco at QB doesn’t solve the issue of

enticing vets to sign with this team…and it certainly doesn’t change the defensive philosophy by Bradley in any way shape or form…putting Flacco in accomplishes nothing for the future…absolutely bupkus. 

Id sure like that topic to fizzle away sooner than later… 😔 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

You may be right…. But what do we get with AR? Maybe 3 more wins at best? No shot at the playoffs. A top five draft pick? I guess on the bright side we’re might get a new GM and D coordinator.

I’d be okay with another top 5 pick to build this team more. 

In all seriousness, what happened with Flacco last year was more of the exception and not the norm. 

To be honest, if Minshew was still on our sidelines I’d think there would be vastly more calls for him to be the starter compared to Flacco. 

Seriously…people here are genuinely and actively hoping for Richardson to be a total bust and failure just for the sake of being able to gloat “I told you so”…too many fickle “fans” here if you can actually call them that.

Its like people rooting for their president of the USA they didn’t pick to fail miserably and cause severe setbacks and damage just for the sake of saying “I told you so”.

I don’t know about you folks but I don’t cheer and encourage that the Colts do bad just for the sake of “change”…neither do I advocate a sitting or potential president falter despite not agreeing to their methods. 

Sit back and relax…football is fun. We aren’t the best, no reasonable Colts fan should have expected us to be the best, and no reasonable colts fan should want failure just because you don’t agree with how things are run. 

be happy folks! 😊 📣 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’d be okay with another top 5 pick to build this team more. 

In all seriousness, what happened with Flacco last year was more of the exception and not the norm. 

To be honest, if Minshew was still on our sidelines I’d think there would be vastly more calls for him to be the starter compared to Flacco. 

I wonder what position they would take. I doubt it would be a corner or safety that high. Could they take a WR with Pierce playing this well. He will be a FA after next season. Maybe dline with Dayo being a FA. A DT maybe as Buckner gets older and that is a weak spot.

I don’t think they will be that bad though. They will probably draft outside the top ten.

7 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Steichen’s halftime comment that AR’s brutal interception in the end zone was his fault because of the play call was a terrible look. It’s OK to say AR made a bad decision. He’s a man, the face of the franchise — I’d hope he can take some criticism. If the Colts baby AR like this behind the scenes, it’s a concern. 

1.  That’s what coaches/leaders do they take the heat for others.  I am sure had they interviewed AR he would have taken the blame too.

2.  It was a bad play call it was discussed in the game time thread.

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Putting Flacco at QB doesn’t solve the issue of

enticing vets to sign with this team…and it certainly doesn’t change the defensive philosophy by Bradley in any way shape or form…putting Flacco in accomplishes nothing for the future…absolutely bupkus. 

Id sure like that topic to fizzle away sooner than later… 😔 

As said in the game thread play Flacco serves no purpose.  He’s a band aide like Minshew was last year and his ceiling is about the same.  Flirting with the playoffs if he plays like he did last year (let’s not forget he looked awful the past few years before that) but he’s not going to win you a Super Bowl.  

He’s not the long term answer either.  He’s the answer at most for a year or two IF he plays like he did last year and then you have to make a decision on Richardson’s long term future without really knowing if he’s the answer or not.  Then if you don’t think he is the answer you are not in position to get one.  

You have to play Richardson to find out if he’s the guy or not, and no one knows if he is or not after just seven games.  Even the Panthers gave Young more than twice that many games and a lot of people think they are giving up on Young quickly.  

AR is clearly struggling right now.  He’s thinking way too much, you could see that on the late throw to AD first you could see him thinking about running and then go no I should pass which caused it to be late and then he floated it rather than driving it let the safety close and break it up.  

I do think Shane could help him if he started calling plays for what AR is right now rather than what they want him to be.  Quick passes to help him build confidence with deep shots mixed in.  You also have to embrace he’s a running QB.  The last TD drive when he had the big run he had the swagger we saw last year for the first time.  It looked like the Texans game last year.  Hopefully confidence from that can spread to his passing game.  If the Colts wanted a drop back passer they should have drafted Levis.  They didn’t so they need to embrace that AR is at his best when he’s on the move.  

I went on the record draft night saying I didn’t like the pick but I want Richardson to succeed because that means the Colts have their guy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Well I did and I’m not alone.  The Colts were not born in Indy they were born in Baltimore.  

Not to mention the Colts have been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore.  It’s not like the Colts are new to Indy.  They have dedicated fans.  Is it Packers level?  No but pretty much no other team in the league is at the level.

3 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

In the post game interview with AR he said he gets "antsy" when he sees a receiver open and thus the highball passes. Thats not something you can teach/correct from an outside source. Maybe if once the game slows down he can settle down but thats concerning. The great QB's have ice in their veins, can't teach it 

Like I said in another post, happy feet. It’ll slow down for him and that will help with the accuracy and i definitely think that can be taught or learned from

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Next week we will basically see two QB that play the same way. Hopefully that helps colts prepare for Fields. But I don’t have much faith the defense will be great next week. Fields looks really good. Bears fans are melting down. It really looks their Oline was the issue with fields and not Fields.

Fields is a more accurate  version

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Like I said in another post, happy feet. It’ll slow down for him and that will help with the accuracy and i definitely think that can be taught or learned from

I do think there is something to this.  Most rookies say it takes 3/4 of a season at least for the game to slow down for them.  Heck Flacco recently told kravtiz it took 20 games for him to feel comfortable out there.  Richardson has played seven games.  He’s still trying to keep up.  

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

He needs to be talked to so coaches can find out what the heck he saw, why he threw it. “My bad” means nothing. All these guys are men but they still watch film and get corrected. Belichick used to carve up Brady in film study. If it’s good enough for TB, it’s good enough for AR. 

He saw Pittman wide open, but he didnt set his feet and rushed the throw, sailing it over his head.

The thing that gives me hope with Anthony is that he typically makes good reads. He made the right read on that play. Thats not his issue.

His issue is he relies too much on his physical gifts and gets lazy with his feet. 

He also doesnt know when to use touch on his throw and his throw to JT was an example of that. He threw that ball on a line, but if he put a little air under it, JT runs under it and its likely a big gainer. This is what concerns me most with him.

He can fix his footwork, but its gonna be much harder for him to fix that. But hes so raw and inexperienced I wouldnt count him out, yet. 

The kid needs time. They drafted him knowing he needed time, and hes gonna get it. It doesnt matter if we win 4 games this year he will be back next year.

If he fails then, they might go hard after Arch Manning. But I bet they do nothing until then. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

He saw Pittman wide open, but he didnt set his feet and rushed the throw, sailing it over his head.

The thing that gives me hope with Anthony is that he typically makes good reads. He made the right read on that play. Thats not his issue.

His issue is he relies too much on his physical gifts and gets lazy with his feet. 

He also doesnt know when to use touch on his throw and his throw to JT was an example of that. He threw that ball on a line, but if he put a little air under it, JT runs under it and its likely a big gainer. This is what concerns me most with him.

He can fix his footwork, but its gonna be much harder for him to fix that. But hes so raw and inexperienced I wouldnt count him out, yet. 

The kid needs time. They drafted him knowing he needed time, and hes gonna get it. It doesnt matter if we win 4 games this year he will be back next year.

If he fails then, they might go hard after Arch Manning. But I bet they do nothing until then. 

Last year's  injury set him back. What is head scratching is te are missing  and he isn't  running  as much as I thought  he would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Last year's  injury set him back. What is head scratching is te are missing  and he isn't  running  as much as I thought  he would.

Thats what has surprised me. This is not the offense I thought I would see. We seem to be asking him to do too much.

I also dont like Shanes lack of philosophy this year.

I honestly thought we would see a lot of 4 wides (Pittman, Downs, Mitchell, Pierce), with Taylor and Ant in the backfield. Forcing teams to play nickel and dime, then spreading the defense out and attacking with the run, with a lot of deep shots and play action.

But its been kind of all over the place. I cant even tell what they are trying to do philisophically anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well hopefully it pays off. I just hate flushing a season down the toilet especially if AR doesn’t pan out.

Do you honestly think the Colts will win a SB, let alone make the playoffs....with Joe Flacco as QB?  I mean are you seriously pining for a 39 year old retread ala Matt Ryan to lead this team????

I am at a loss for that and the only thing that makes any sense is your complete dislike for AR is clouding your judgement. 

AR is the future of this team.  He has a high ceiling and with him, and IF he progresses, the team could be a SB contender in a year or 2.  But with or without him there is no way in H E double toothpicks that this team wins a SB this year.  Just not enough ELITE talent on the team.  Honestly the only truly elite player on the entire team as of today is JT.  AR could be.  Not now but could be.

Besides that?  Nobody.  By elite I mean game changing talent. 

So you ride with AR, hope he stays healthy and finishes the season, and improves. He makes good decisions for the most part.  The INT in the endzone today was not a good one but for the most part he does.  He just needs to gain experience and technique. 

But saying JF should start, when at best....I mean AT BESt ALL HE DOES IS GET YOU into the first round of the playoffs?  Who cares.

I would rather see progression from AR, even it means suffering through a lot of losses, and get a high pick for next year rather than go through a 9-8 season with JF.  Remember the first Manning year he was not good, but he gained tons of experience.  We then got a super high draft pick where we drafted Edge the and we were off to the races after that.

I mean, haven't you had enough of Rivers, Wentz, Ryan and Mishew?  I cannot honestly believe people want to go back to that.   FJ is Matt Ryan PERSONIFIED. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

As said in the game thread play Flacco serves no purpose.  He’s a band aide like Minshew was last year and his ceiling is about the same.  Flirting with the playoffs if he plays like he did last year (let’s not forget he looked awful the past few years before that) but he’s not going to win you a Super Bowl.  

He’s not the long term answer either.  He’s the answer at most for a year or two IF he plays like he did last year and then you have to make a decision on Richardson’s long term future without really knowing if he’s the answer or not.  Then if you don’t think he is the answer you are not in position to get one.  

You have to play Richardson to find out if he’s the guy or not, and no one knows if he is or not after just seven games.  Even the Panthers gave Young more than twice that many games and a lot of people think they are giving up on Young quickly.  

AR is clearly struggling right now.  He’s thinking way too much, you could see that on the late throw to AD first you could see him thinking about running and then go no I should pass which caused it to be late and then he floated it rather than driving it let the safety close and break it up.  

I do think Shane could help him if he started calling plays for what AR is right now rather than what they want him to be.  Quick passes to help him build confidence with deep shots mixed in.  You also have to embrace he’s a running QB.  The last TD drive when he had the big run he had the swagger we saw last year for the first time.  It looked like the Texans game last year.  Hopefully confidence from that can spread to his passing game.  If the Colts wanted a drop back passer they should have drafted Levis.  They didn’t so they need to embrace that AR is at his best when he’s on the move.  

I went on the record draft night saying I didn’t like the pick but I want Richardson to succeed because that means the Colts have their guy.  

I will say this. AR imo threw the ball much MUCH better in his 4 games last year compared to his first 3 this year.  Not even close.   I have to believe a lot of that is due to him being unable to practice much on his mechanics until August or so.  Remember even during spring practice he was complaining of a sore shoulder and had to take some time off.

I fully believe that once he is totally over his injury that he will be able to take the extra reps needed to get back into a way of throwing without having to think so much.

I play a sport at a highly competitive level, won't say which one, but I broke my thumb this spring and I just now am start to get back into the swing of things.  But I am not even close to where I was before I broke it.