Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Richardson on the Club 520 podcast

CR91

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Interesting he thought he might go number one to Carolina. This backs up the rumors that Carolina was very high on him and was thinking about it. He should thank his lucky stars because his career might of been ruined.

I think what I remember hearing is Reich wanted C.J, the GM wanted Richardson and the owner wanted Young

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think what I remember hearing is Reich wanted C.J, the GM wanted Richardson and the owner wanted Young

I remember watching those what if videos by the NFL. It would be cool later into their careers they did one where Young went to the Texans. CJ to the Colts and Richardson to the Panthers.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Im sure he did want Stroud, but Tepper was not to be denied. I bet frank even wanted Richardson over Young. Ballard was doing the homework on Richardson well before we were even in play for him, and I’m sure he was apprising frank of his findings as well. The first time I remember hearing the Colts were watching Richardson was in late September/early October 2021 on PFT. I’ve tried to find the article it was mentioned in since then, but I haven’t been able to. Overall, Frank probably had more intel on Richardson in that draft than he did any of the other QBs just from the time they were scouting him here. 

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Im sure he did want Stroud, but Tepper was not to be denied. I bet frank even wanted Richardson over Young. Ballard was doing the homework on Richardson well before we were even in play for him, and I’m sure he was apprising frank of his findings as well. The first time I remember hearing the Colts were watching Richardson was in late September/early October 2021 on PFT. I’ve tried to find the article it was mentioned in since then, but I haven’t been able to. Overall, Frank probably had more intel on Richardson in that draft than he did any of the other QBs just from the time they were scouting him here. 

I can believe that. Seemed like Richardson was on the colts rader for awhile

4 hours ago, Dunk said:

AR brought up a point I had never thought of. He said in some ways it was easier than college, because his teammates do their job so much better.

I also thought that was very insightful. And interesting point-of-view that I had not previously considered.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

In what way shape or form is college harder than the nfl? People are nuts. 

Anthony Richardson said that in some ways, the NFL is easier because the other people on his team are all good too. He knows he can rely on them to put in the work and be good at their jobs. He didn't always feel that way about every other college player he knew. In college, not every player takes their responsibilities as seriously as the players on his team in the NFL. That is what he is trying to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

In what way shape or form is college harder than the nfl? People are nuts. 

AR was referring to talent level. College you have to compensate more for lack of talent around you while the NFL everyone is good and does their job at a high level so AR doesnt feel the need to do more outside of his job to make up for the players around him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2024 at 6:07 AM, Dunk said:

Most players say that the NFL is tougher than college, because you are competing against the best.

AR brought up a point I had never thought of. He said in some ways it was easier than college, because his teammates do their job so much better.

He also said it was because you’re not juggling school with the football. It’s all football in the nfl.

• Like 3

I liked that he said one of the reasons he chose Florida is that they talked school, not just football.  Shows he was serious and mature even back then.  So glad we got him.  

Also, I think I cracked Ballards logic when it comes to our D backfield.   He’s trying to build up AR’s confidence!  Can you imagine if he came in as a rookie and had to practice against really good DBs?  It could have broken him mentally.   (I’m half serious about that)

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

I seriously hate when people take a quote and run with it without context just for clickbait. Everyone is talking up AR saying college is harder then the NFL without providing has explanation. So stupid 

Who is everyone?   I’ve never heard that claim before from anyone?   Your writing it is the first time.  

Richardson's point is well taken by anyone that's been in a leadership role in a trade or specific industry. Far easier to manage professionals that don't need help and are accountable than to lead college kids that are hardly accountable, and don't have a clue what is going on. I understood his point and don't think it's ridiculous to say. He doesn't have to worry about how he throws a ball to a guy that struggles to catch a certain type... He just has to throw it how it needs to be thrown and the receiver is accountable/ expected to catch the ball. He doesn't feel the responsibility to get others lined up properly, or tell them what route they are running/how they need to call the blocking scheme. It's their jobs to know. It's his job to read the defense and execute the play. Sad that a 22 year old felt that way about a multiple national championship program, but it's reality. There's a reason some serious talented players don't make it to, let alone in the NFL. 

On 6/11/2024 at 8:31 PM, John Waylon said:

Something seems off on the timeline.  

When the Colts drafted AR in April of 23, Ballard told the story of Morocco Brown finding Richardson in August of 22 during the Florida Gators summer camp leading up to the start of their 22 season.  Brown found him and called Ballard and talked about finding this incredible talent.  Richardson only had 13 college starts. I think it was 12 in 22 and 1 in 21.   He barely played at all in 2021. 

I recently (the last 4-6 weeks) went back and looked at all the interviews from the 23 draft to hear again all the stories that were told about Richardson.  Ballard, Brown,  Dodds, and 4 scouts who offered insight. 

Hope this helps. 

On 6/13/2024 at 12:52 PM, CR91 said:

I seriously hate when people take a quote and run with it without context just for clickbait. Everyone is talking up AR saying college is harder then the NFL without providing has explanation. So stupid 

What Richardson said makes a lot of sense. One's job is a lot easier if one's coworkers (teammates) are more talented and more efficient. So, it makes sense that his job in the NFL may be easier than his job in college, as NFL players are more talented. That does not even factor in that when someone is in college, there is less time to devote to the sport because time has to be used for classes and studying.

Many folks on Twitter/X are not very credible or serious people. Many prefer to criticize than to ask questions to better understand another person's point of view. Unfortunately, it seems to be the world we live in (quick to judge and criticize).

On 6/13/2024 at 10:20 AM, lester said:

I also thought that was very insightful.

I agree. He is a very smart young man.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What Richardson said makes a lot of sense. One's job is a lot easier if one's coworkers (teammates) are more talented and more efficient. So, it makes sense that his job in the NFL may be easier than his job in college, as NFL players are more talented. That does not even factor in that when someone is in college, there is less time to devote to the sport because time has to be used for classes and studying.

Many folks on Twitter/X are not very credible or serious people. Many prefer to criticize than to ask questions to better understand another person's point of view. Unfortunately, it seems to be the world we live in (quick to judge and criticize).

I agree. He is a very smart young man.

Exactly. In the NFL football is their job. No other distractions forced on them (sure distractions happen but that’s on the player, not circumstance). The supporting players are all world class. And the staff is world class as well. He’s got access to the best trainers, dietitians, doctors and coaches. It really makes a difference if the player is mature enough to take advantage of those services. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Something seems off on the timeline.  

When the Colts drafted AR in April of 23, Ballard told the story of Morocco Brown finding Richardson in August of 22 during the Florida Gators summer camp leading up to the start of their 22 season.  Brown found him and called Ballard and talked about finding this incredible talent.  Richardson only had 13 college starts. I think it was 12 in 22 and 1 in 21.   He barely played at all in 2021. 

I recently (the last 4-6 weeks) went back and looked at all the interviews from the 23 draft to hear again all the stories that were told about Richardson.  Ballard, Brown,  Dodds, and 4 scouts who offered insight. 

Hope this helps. 

I must have fat fingered 21 instead of 22. I meant 22. 

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He also said it was because you’re not juggling school with the football. It’s all football in the nfl.

the talent level is lower in college, most of the players in college their first job will be as a doctor, lawyer, teacher, or business professional and will never play football again therefore this results in dropped passes and not getting open, which  makes it harder to complete a pass. bottom line they are not good enough for pro football

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

the talent level is lower in college, most of the players in college their first job will be as a doctor, lawyer, teacher, or business professional and will never play football again therefore this results in dropped passes and not getting open, which  makes it harder to complete a pass. bottom line they are not good enough for pro football

Yep.

Every year there are about 71,000 football players in college. Meanwhile, in the NFL you’re looking at about 1,696 active players. Thats a huge difference. The NFL is truly the best of the best. 

• Like 1