Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs?

JediXMan

11 minutes ago, husker61 said:

Everyone saying the colts have to draft a top pass rushing end like it’s easy. There are probably more top qb’s and a better chance of success wit them than getting a top rush end. The colts have other more pressing needs that don’t have all that risk. The d-line is the strongest part of the defense.

Yep. It will be even better once the secondary gets fixed.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:22 AM, chad72 said:

It’s every year - the fans all like some player, and when that player is passed over by Ballard in the first round, you’re always playing what ifs.

I am sure Nabers, Odunze or Bowers might fall into that category where Ballard has someone rated higher than 1 of them at No.15 and ends up passing on 1 of the above 3 and fans get antsy again :) 

Wayne better pound his fists so hard that they bleed for Nabers or Odunze if they’re available.  The importance of getting a WR1 on a rookie deal is big.  Look at the teams who’ve made it to the SB recently.  They’ve all had WR1s and QBs on rookie deals.  Not saying both have to be but usually it’s one or the other, or both that are on rookie deals

KC:  Mahomes and Hill

Eagles: Hurts and Devonta Smith (I believe)

Bengals: Burrow and Chase

Rams and Bucs don’t count, they just threw a lot of capital at the team and put a vet qb in place to drive a loaded team lol

And look at this year, it’s shaping up to be the same.  49ers have Brock purdy and Brandon aiyuk on their rookie deals.  Ravens are an anomaly but they have so much talent on defense that they can get by on offense with Lamar and friends.  You can technically say their WR1 is Andrews but he only costs $14mill/yr.  

Idk, I think we’re in prime position.  We’ll have our vet WR1 in Pittman getting paid and then we draft the second WR1 and have him and Pittman under contract for the next 4 years along with Downs.  Our wide receiver trio would be cheap and the production would be very good.  Versus drafting a CB, paying a vet WR and now we’re spending ~$50mill for our WR trio instead ~$35mill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Wayne better pound his fists so hard that they bleed for Nabers or Odunze if they’re available.  The importance of getting a WR1 on a rookie deal is big.  Look at the teams who’ve made it to the SB recently.  They’ve all had WR1s and QBs on rookie deals.  Not saying both have to be but usually it’s one or the other, or both that are on rookie deals

Rams and Bucs don’t count, they just threw a lot of capital at the team and put a vet qb in place to drive a loaded team lol

And look at this year, it’s shaping up to be the same.  49ers have Brock purdy and Brandon aiyuk on their rookie deals.  Ravens are an anomaly but they have so much talent on defense that they can get by on offense with Lamar and friends.  You can technically say their WR1 is Andrews but he only costs $14mill/yr.  

Idk, I think we’re in prime position.  We’ll have our vet WR1 in Pittman getting paid and then we draft the second WR1 and have him and Pittman under contract for the next 4 years along with Downs.  Our wide receiver trio would be cheap and the production would be very good.  Versus drafting a CB, paying a vet WR and now we’re spending ~$50mill for our WR trio instead ~$35mill.

I wanted Xavier McKinney for safety from NY Giants to shore up the FS position, mainly because safety salaries compared to vet WR/CB/Pass rusher salaries are far more manageable in the modern NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

We already have two starting highly drafted WR’s on rookie deals.  The surest way to upgrade the WR room is to go out and acquire a proven outstanding WR.  I could care less about the money.  We were able to pay Manning, Harrison, and Wayne at the same time.  And right now we have our quarterback on a rookie deal.  The money argument holds no water for me.  The time to upgrade other key positions is when you’re not paying a quarterback or LT or ER for that matter.  

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We already have two starting highly drafted WR’s on rookie deals.  The surest way to upgrade the WR room is to go out and acquire a proven outstanding WR.  I could care less about the money.  We were able to pay Manning, Harrison, and Wayne at the same time.  And right now we have our quarterback on a rookie deal.  The money argument holds no water for me.  The time to upgrade other key positions is when you’re not paying a quarterback or LT or ER for that matter.  

Yeah you can make the cap work so you can pay most players and Ballard is very good at setting up contracts with the cap in mind.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Well, one of those highly drafted WRs is a one trick pony who were hoping can turn into something because our qb has an arm, and the other is good but we won’t see his full capabilities until we open the field.

We were able to pay manning and other people because manning masked so many of our deficiencies that we could bargain shop on other positions.  That caught up to us quick when manning was injured or couldn’t produce the same.  Needless to say. AR isn’t Peyton.

And agreed about the rookie deal qb.  Regarding the ER, we have money to spend so hopefully throw our hand in at chase young.  But one thing you’re not mentioning is that to better the development of said rookie qb, he needs weapons also.  As many as we can possibly get.  Right now the weapons we have are MPJ, JT, and himself (and we see where that got him).  No one is mentioning ARs health and the need to protect him.  Not just from the opposing defense, but himself.  Get him some weapons so he doesn’t feel like he has to run and so Shane can call less qb designed run plays. 

41 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Well, one of those highly drafted WRs is a one trick pony who were hoping can turn into something because our qb has an arm, and the other is good but we won’t see his full capabilities until we open the field.

We were able to pay manning and other people because manning masked so many of our deficiencies that we could bargain shop on other positions.  That caught up to us quick when manning was injured or couldn’t produce the same.  Needless to say. AR isn’t Peyton.

And agreed about the rookie deal qb.  Regarding the ER, we have money to spend so hopefully throw our hand in at chase young.  But one thing you’re not mentioning is that to better the development of said rookie qb, he needs weapons also.  As many as we can possibly get.  Right now the weapons we have are MPJ, JT, and himself (and we see where that got him).  No one is mentioning ARs health and the need to protect him.  Not just from the opposing defense, but himself.  Get him some weapons so he doesn’t feel like he has to run and so Shane can call less qb designed run plays. 

I mentioned now is the time to acquire a veteran a veteran WR for AR.  What are you talking about I didn’t mention he needs weapons.  You need to reread my post.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I mentioned now is the time to acquire a veteran a veteran WR for AR.  What are you talking about I didn’t mention he needs weapons.  You need to reread my post.  

my bad, maybe it’s my wording but I was trying to insinuate that you hamper yourself by throwing cash at the situation when you could use a draft pick and use the cash somewhere else (and might be cheaper).  Basically was trying to say why get one weapon when we could get multiple.

if we were in win now mode, I’d agree with you about grabbing a vet wr.  But this team is in rebuild mode which means longevity is one of the main objectives.  And if we can save money by drafting a stud wr and using that extra money to get him another weapon or a cheaper stud at another position (ex. CB) then that would be ideal.  Signing a stud vet WR is going to cost us over $18million a year, which after we resign our own may be a good chunk of our cap.

of course, this all on the hopes that Ballard actually spends money or tries to on good talent in FA 

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah you can make the cap work so you can pay most players and Ballard is very good at setting up contracts with the cap in mind.

True. It’s staggered well enough that you draft a WR on Day 1 or Day 2 every 2 years, 3 times in a row, and you can manage the cap well, even if 2 out of those 3 are hits.

Having said that, I’m not sure if we look for a later round QB this year. 

On 1/8/2024 at 1:11 AM, ProblChld32 said:

Zaire literally lead the NFL in tackles so why are you suggesting two LBs? 

He's an absolute liability in coverage and has had a ton of missed tackles (despite leading the league in tackles). I wouldn't draft 2 LBs though, just one. Assuming he passes medicals, Payton Wilson would be an absolute monster LB for us. Amazing in coverage, great in the run game, but can be a little too overaggressive at times.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:57 AM, ProblChld32 said:

We can agree to disagree as being able to tackle is a very important technique in the game of football as a defensive player.

As I mentioned above, the pure stats don't tell the whole story, as Franklin has shown to miss a lot of tackles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, husker61 said:

Everyone saying the colts have to draft a top pass rushing end like it’s easy. There are probably more top qb’s and a better chance of success wit them than getting a top rush end. The colts have other more pressing needs that don’t have all that risk. The d-line is the strongest part of the defense.

I dont see edge as a top need but I could see drafting one high.  You dont have to draft your biggest need first.  

We could still use a good edge rusher and you have to draft them high to get them.  You can go years and years without seeing a good one on the board at all 

Paye hasnt quite lived up to his draft spot but you also dont find many DEs better than him past the second round.  

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

He's an absolute liability in coverage and has had a ton of missed tackles (despite leading the league in tackles). I wouldn't draft 2 LBs though, just one. Assuming he passes medicals, Payton Wilson would be an absolute monster LB for us. Amazing in coverage, great in the run game, but can be a little too overaggressive at times.

As I mentioned above, the pure stats don't tell the whole story, as Franklin has shown to miss a lot of tackles.

I think we are firmly in the market for LBs now with Shaq gone.  

To me Franklin is good, not great but a positive starter in my eyes.  Speed is a role player that flashes sometimes but isnt well rounded enough to start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shive said:

Let’s get one thing straight, you can’t make every tackle, the person across from him is a PROFESSIONAL as well. He’s made far more tackles than he has missed. Compare his numbers to the likes of RoQuan and Queen from the Ravens (both made the pro bowl) and his are far more impressive. Is he a coverage allstar? No but the guy simply makes plays. 

15 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Let’s get one thing straight, you can’t make every tackle, the person across from him is a PROFESSIONAL as well. He’s made far more tackles than he has missed. Compare his numbers to the likes of RoQuan and Queen from the Ravens (both made the pro bowl) and his are far more impressive. Is he a coverage allstar? No but the guy simply makes plays. 

Roquan and Queen are significantly better in coverage though. So if you are bad in coverage and are missing tackles, that makes you replaceable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Roquan and Queen are significantly better in coverage though. So if you are bad in coverage and are missing tackles, that makes you replaceable.

That’s a reach both are not known for their coverage abilities both are known for being run stoppers. Both of them combined have 1 interception on the season. Smith has 8 passes defended, Queen has 5, Zaire has 6. Numbers do not lie.