Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Officiating

Zoltan

It seems this year has been worse than most when it comes to officiating. Obviously we can't expect them to be perfect but now there has been two games where bad calls caused one team to lose. We saw it first in the Colts game, where two calls let the opposing team have an easy 1st and goal on the 1 and now the Lions lose.

Both losses have significant effects to the playoffs has the Colts would be leading their division and now the Lions won't have a shot at getting the 1 seed.

Now how they fix this I don't know, but it looks like they need to re-evaulate the referee system.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It seems this year has been worse than most when it comes to officiating. Obviously we can't expect them to be perfect but now there has been two games where bad calls caused one team to lose. We saw it first in the Colts game, where two calls let the opposing team have an easy 1st and goal on the 1 and now the Lions lose.

Both losses have significant effects to the playoffs has the Colts would be leading their division and now the Lions won't have a shot at getting the 1 seed.

Now how they fix this I don't know, but it looks like they need to re-evaulate the referee system.

It has been the worst I have ever seen, and I have been watching since the 1977 season. 1 way to fix it is, is have instant replay in just the final 2 minutes of games on PI's or defensive holding calls - whether it is a penalty or isn't. Just the last 2 minutes so it will not slow the game down any. In the Lions case, I have know idea how to fix that, the REF seemed to hear what he wanted, and his earlobes closed after that lmao .

8 hours ago, Zoltan said:

The replacement officials weren’t this bad overall.

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

You can't fix the human factor as long as they are the last word. Might as well complain about the weather.

Like I said you can’t expect perfection but I think everyone can see there is room for improvement 

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Like I said you can’t expect perfection but I think everyone can see there is room for improvement 

Improve the human factor? Officiating continues to be the best it can be.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:02 AM, Zoltan said:

now the Lions won't have a shot at getting the 1 seed.

I agree with the bolded, for sure.

To the first part, though, I have more mixed feelings. The ref obviously blew it, just listen to what the players are saying and acknowledge the right player as eligible. He totally screwed that up, and the NFL needs to own up to it. (Not the first high profile mistake that ref has made this year, by the way.)

However, because the ref made a mistake on which player was reporting eligible, he also announced the wrong player eligible. Over the PA, he reported #70 as eligible. So the Cowboys defense would have covered #70. They left #68 open, but that's partly because they thought he wasn't eligible. If the ref had handled this properly, he would have announced #68 as eligible, and the Cowboys defense presumably would have adjusted accordingly. Maybe the play still works, but there's no way to know.

I agree that the Lions got hosed, but I don't think it's as simple as 'if the refs handle that right, the Lions would have won.' 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with the bolded, for sure.

To the first part, though, I have more mixed feelings. The ref obviously blew it, just listen to what the players are saying and acknowledge the right player as eligible. He totally screwed that up, and the NFL needs to own up to it. (Not the first high profile mistake that ref has made this year, by the way.)

However, because the ref made a mistake on which player was reporting eligible, he also announced the wrong player eligible. Over the PA, he reported #70 as eligible. So the Cowboys defense would have covered #70. They left #68 open, but that's partly because they thought he wasn't eligible. If the ref had handled this properly, he would have announced #68 as eligible, and the Cowboys defense presumably would have adjusted accordingly. Maybe the play still works, but there's no way to know.

I agree that the Lions got hosed, but I don't think it's as simple as 'if the refs handle that right, the Lions would have won.' 

I also think if the Lions heard the announcement they should have known it was messed up then and said something to the officials then.

I will say I heard an interview with Kerry Rhodes yesterday where he was asked how the wrong number being announced impacts the defense and he said that’s more for the fans as a defender you look at how the team lines up and cover the guys that are the eligible receivers based on the alignment and felt Dallas blew the cover because they didn’t do that.  

Rhodes also said once it got called back Campbell should have kicked the extra point and put the blame on him for not doing that.  He also called out the league for trying to blame the missed tripping call and that the Lions should have never been in that position to start with.  He said let’s say the refs got the eligible man right well then you are still saying the officials messed up only this time you took it away from Dallas.  He was 100% on the issue was the officials and didn’t like the NFL trying to spin it to somehow being the Lions fault.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also think if the Lions heard the announcement they should have known it was messed up then and said something to the officials then.

I will say I heard an interview with Kerry Rhodes yesterday where he was asked how the wrong number being announced impacts the defense and he said that’s more for the fans as a defender you look at how the team lines up and cover the guys that are the eligible receivers based on the alignment and felt Dallas blew the cover because they didn’t do that.  

Rhodes also said once it got called back Campbell should have kicked the extra point and put the blame on him for not doing that.  He also called out the league for trying to blame the missed tripping call and that the Lions should have never been in that position to start with.  He said let’s say the refs got the eligible man right well then you are still saying the officials messed up only this time you took it away from Dallas.  He was 100% on the issue was the officials and didn’t like the NFL trying to spin it to somehow being the Lions fault.  

It's a good point about the alignment, but I don't think announcing the eligible is meant for the fans. I think it's meant for both teams, and I'm sure it impacts how the defense responds. No matter what the alignment, if the refs announce #70 eligible, you have to cover him. 

I get why Campbell went for it despite the penalties. He wanted the do-or-die situation, and had a chance to win the game on one play. He probably also didn't want to go to OT. The "right" call was to kick, but I get what he was trying to do. And if Goff makes a better throw...

As for the tripping penalty, I think just more of a mistake. Two players wearing the same color pants, the refs messed up. Not that it's excusable, it's just a more garden variety mistake. A good example of why replay should be expanded to include certain penalties. Too often there are obvious blown calls that affect the game, and simply watching the replay would allow for a quick correction.

:thinking: 

Good topic with good responses.

From my couch I can see the play(s) which are up for review.

I don’t care about the announcers asking for an opinion from some other official that sees what we see, but they know the rules.

Having said that, I believe there should be a rule change for “ player eligible.”

As subtle as informing the referee that a person is eligible… this is where the change should occur…for example,:excited::rock::banana::jump::yahoo::cheer2::monkeydance::hissy: …:thinking:  “ I’m checking in, did you get that, ref? 

The ref can give a new signal like           ”:neener:

# 68 is eligible.

Here is another thought… the screen the ref looks into is a whole lot smaller than our TV screen. Just look at the Jumbotron to see the play better and at different angles.:thinking:

Has anyone ever seem a referee wearing glasses?:woah:

I know my post is a tiny bit ridiculous:grumpy2:

but I am just pointing out the obvious and I KNOW the NFL officials are discussing this issue, right now:bossy:…well, maybe in Detroit.:censored::hissy:

This is fun!

IMG_3087.jpeg.365e307b76b48d70c8bfc3f06cf60b78.jpeg

I just put this picture in to prove I did not eat the last bag of Lays potato chips :)

Okay, I’ll stop!

The refs are employees of the NFL and just doing what they are told. Do they actually make errors and miss calls? Of course they do as do other officials and umpires in other sports. 

The NFL is satisfied mostly with the work.of refs and don't mind them getting the blame when a outcome is wanted.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

The replacement officials blew a call so badly in such a high profile moment that it ended a strike.

Some of of the calls this season ought to start another strike... by the players...

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

It is high time that the NFL employs FULL-TIME REFEREES!!

As part of their employment - there should consequences for bad calls.

Based on reports it’s not the NFL that doesn’t want full time officials.  It’s the officials.  They don’t want to give up their high paying jobs they do Monday through Friday and since they are an union they have to bargain over that and right now it’s something the officials won’t give in on.

NFL put this trash out today. Basically blaming the Lions for the refs' mistake, even though what the ref said happened OBVIOUSLY isn't what happened, even on the video that the NFL is showing here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Based on reports it’s not the NFL that doesn’t want full time officials.  It’s the officials.  They don’t want to give up their high paying jobs they do Monday through Friday and since they are an union they have to bargain over that and right now it’s something the officials won’t give in on.

Hire NEW full-time officials and train them in the off season.

Thanks for the information - I hadn't heard that before.

Just now, sb41champs said:

Hire NEW full-time officials and train them in the off season.

Thanks for the information - I hadn't heard that before.

As we saw with the replacement refs these guys, despite their mistakes, are the best there are.  Also they have a CBA that won’t let them do that.

They could fix it tomorrow by having every play reviewed upstairs in 10 seconds and relayed back to the refs on the field just like the XFL did it. XFL was even transparent enough to show us the guys with the gaming controllers reviewing the plays and the entire process. 

The NFL does not want this though, they want the refs in their back pocket. Not saying its rigged, not saying its not. I dont know. Just seems real strange that year after year the refs determine the outcomes of so many games and more than often the results favor the Tom Bradys, the Cowboys, the big sellers of the NFL, never the smaller teams. 

The NBA was rigged for gambling purposes by refs and owners as recently as the 00's. So I stay neutral on the subject. I don't fully buy into the conspiracies but I definitely don't brush them off as if not possible like so many do. I think more people should adopt this mindset. The NFL is uber powerful and rich, they can do a lot.

I could understand the lions going for it the first time for the 2pt win, but once they got skrewed I think they should have kicked that extra point and go to OT. That still boggled my mind. Partially I guess they were just probably mad as hell at the refs and figured we show you…but sometimes in that moment when your steamed it’s hard to execute a do or die play which is why I would have kicked the point at that moment.

16 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I could understand the lions going for it the first time for the 2pt win, but once they got skrewed I think they should have kicked that extra point and go to OT. That still boggled my mind. Partially I guess they were just probably mad as hell at the refs and figured we show you…but sometimes in that moment when your steamed it’s hard to execute a do or die play which is why I would have kicked the point at that moment.

In any other game, sure you kick it and go to OT. In that game, the Lions playoff position could be no worse than the third seed, so not much to lose. And when you have a chance to effectively win the game on one play, it's understandable that you go for it. There's actually a school of thinking that says the road team should always play for the win in regulation. And even with all the nonsense, the Lions had a chance if Goff simply makes a good throw.

If you kick it, now you have to go into OT, on the road, where anything can happen. You could lose on one play, a key player can get hurt, etc. 

Even without the craziness, Campbell was raising the stakes for his players. He had a rare chance to simulate the do-or-die nature of the NFL playoffs, and gave his team a chance to be tested. If they had converted, the impact would be immeasurable. Once they failed, now they have something to work on, and a chance to be ready for the playoffs, when basically every high leverage situation is do-or-die. 

The "right" thing to do was to kick it, no doubt. But I have no problem with Campbell's decision in that situation. Maybe it was a stubborn emotional reaction, but I think it has the potential to really help their team moving forward.

• Like 1