Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Basketball 2023-24 thread

I was happy to see Purdue beat #1 Arizons and to see Dayton win.   And the Hoosiers losing was nice too.

I didn't watch any of the Purdue game (same time as the Colts) so I was trying to find a recap.  Nothing on ESPN, I watched sports center for a half hour before they even touched on college basketball and it was the women's game they talked about.  #3 beating #1 doesn't matter I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I was happy to see Purdue beat #1 Arizons and to see Dayton win.   And the Hoosiers losing was nice too.

I didn't watch any of the Purdue game (same time as the Colts) so I was trying to find a recap.  Nothing on ESPN, I watched sports center for a half hour before they even touched on college basketball and it was the women's game they talked about.  #3 beating #1 doesn't matter I guess.

I was excited yesterday because the Colts and my Wildcats played on the same day at the same time. Funny thing though is both games were on CBS and the Colts game was shown locally so I didnt get to watch the Kentucky game. But was excited both of my teams won!!

Purdue is looking really good! Best team in the country right now in my opinion

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Purdue is looking really good! Best team in the country right now in my opinion

They could beat any team on a given night, but they can be only Edey some games and that won't win enough.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep.  When I moved to Lagrange, Indiana when I was 15 it seemed 9/10 people were IU fans and they were cocky at the time.  I decided to go the other way.  

Nice lol. I have always liked Matt Painter. I know they had a few early NCAAT flameouts the past few years but I think he is a very solid coach. I think this Purdue squad will make a deeper run.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Samford is playing some very good ball,may be a mid major to advance a few lines on March bracket.  17-2 and have won 17 in a row after 2 straight losses.  Bucky McMillian can coach and Achor Achor will be in the NBA soon. They have scored more points than any team this season avg 90.4 a game only Kentucky comes close.

23 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Samford is playing some very good ball,may be a mid major to advance a few lines on March bracket.  17-2 and have won 17 in a row after 2 straight losses.  Bucky McMillian can coach and Achor Achor will be in the NBA soon. They have scored more points than any team this season avg 90.4 a game only Kentucky comes close.

I'll be pulling for them.   Looks like they got 1 vote to be in the top 25.   If they keep winning, it will come.  Dayton is another team to watch.  

11 hours ago, Myles said:

I'll be pulling for them.   Looks like they got 1 vote to be in the top 25.   If they keep winning, it will come.  Dayton is another team to watch.  

I'm very familiar with Dayton actually thought last year would be theiur break out and it's coming 1 season later. DaRon Holmes a very talented big man. I thought losing Mike Shravantis to San Fran may set them back some but they are much better this year.

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'm very familiar with Dayton actually thought last year would be theiur break out and it's coming 1 season later. DaRon Holmes a very talented big man. I thought losing Mike Shravantis to San Fran may set them back some but they are much better this year.

They are always a pretty good team with lots of history in Ohio.  i like Holmes but am worried if he can match up against other "big men" once the tourney starts.    He is too thin in my opinion. 

Dayton lost a close one at Richmond.   They will drop to the mid 20'2 in the rankings.   Purdue beat a good Rutgers team and IU lost to Illinois.  Purdue will stay at #2 and IU will still not be ranked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 12:19 PM, Myles said:

I am glad I was wrong about that game.  Purdue kicked IU's tail.  Smith led the way.

The addition of Lance Jones has made a HUGE difference with this team! So glad they whooped those Hoosiers again!

Hoping for a deeper run this season, just seems like they hit a wall ever post season, something has to give!!!! Painter needs to get over that hump!

• Like 1

Washington State is quietly putting together a very nice season out west, 2nd fewest NCAA Tournament appearances among power conferences (Also 2nd longest drought)  they sit second in the Pac 12 at 20-6  (11-4 Pac 12) with 7 wins in a row. They are led by Freshman cancer survivor Myles Rice.. here is a very nice read.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-myles-rice-beat-cancer-and-is-guiding-washington-state-to-its-first-ncaa-tournament-since-2008/

I'm definitely in the minority here for this one. But lol projecting Purdue to be number 1 overall in the tournament 🤣. They lost to unranked 20 hours after UConn blew the doors off the number 4 team in the country.

UConn is a machine. And hoping for a back to back since some are still wondering if we are a blue blood somehow haha.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm definitely in the minority here for this one. But lol projecting Purdue to be number 1 overall in the tournament 🤣. They lost to unranked 20 hours after UConn blew the doors off the number 4 team in the country.

UConn is a machine. And hoping for a back to back since some are still wondering if we are a blue blood somehow haha.

Purdue - man that Edy guy looks like Luke Longley, a tall man with no knees, someone you would think would dominate but he is JUST tall when compared to other tall guys that have played in the NCAA. At least Longley could hit that 10 foot jumper away from the basket. Purdue is destined to lose in the first 2 rounds, IMO.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Purdue - man that Edy guy looks like Luke Longley, a tall man with no knees, someone you would think would dominate but he is JUST tall when compared to other tall guys that have played in the NCAA. At least Longley could hit that 10 foot jumper away from the basket. Purdue is destined to lose in the first 2 rounds, IMO.

I like Edey.  It is great that he gave up the NBA draft to come back to Purdue.  He is shooting 50% from 3 point range for his career.  Ha ha.

I can see Purdue going out in the first 2 rounds but I can also see them making it to the final 4.  Matchups will tell the story.  Edet will get 20 points and 13 rebounds each game, so it'll be Smith who it falls to.  

Just now, Myles said:

I like Edey.  It is great that he gave up the NBA draft to come back to Purdue.  He is shooting 50% from 3 point range for his career.  Ha ha.

I can see Purdue going out in the first 2 rounds but I can also see them making it to the final 4.  Matchups will tell the story.  Edet will get 20 points and 13 rebounds each game, so it'll be Smith who it falls to.  

But he doesn't shoot enough of them and thus Ds don't respect that. That is the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

But he doesn't shoot enough of them and thus Ds don't respect that. That is the issue.

I wouldn't want him to.  Setting picks and being in the middle is his best spots.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't want him to.  Setting picks and being in the middle is his best spots.  

I don't know man. Having his shot blocked by a shorter guy, having a guard throw up a floater right in front of his face with no attempt to block it, not dominating the boards like he can, not recognizing when they are leaving him wide open because they know he won't even attempt a 10-15 foot jumper, too many things I don't like about him came up all in the Ohio State game that Purdue lost this weekend. I was unimpressed and unless he takes care of half those things I specified on a consistent basis, my opinion of his will stay low.

I have seen some big guys UConn trots out, he doesn't seem like he has that kind of twitch like an Okafor, heck even Madsen of Stanford and Hansborough of UNC had better reactions than him.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I was just talking to a co worker about him today. I'm sure he was smart to come back. There really isn't much space for him in the NBA game if he isn't quick enough to switch.. plus we have 7'4" Vic and 7'2" playing C but moving like guards.. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:53 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Washington State is quietly putting together a very nice season out west, 2nd fewest NCAA Tournament appearances among power conferences (Also 2nd longest drought)  they sit second in the Pac 12 at 20-6  (11-4 Pac 12) with 7 wins in a row. They are led by Freshman cancer survivor Myles Rice.. here is a very nice read.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-myles-rice-beat-cancer-and-is-guiding-washington-state-to-its-first-ncaa-tournament-since-2008/

Wow big jump up to 21/22 in the polls...people took note this weekend.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I don't know man. Having his shot blocked by a shorter guy, having a guard throw up a floater right in front of his face with no attempt to block it, not dominating the boards like he can, not recognizing when they are leaving him wide open because they know he won't even attempt a 10-15 foot jumper, too many things I don't like about him came up all in the Ohio State game that Purdue lost this weekend. I was unimpressed and unless he takes care of half those things I specified on a consistent basis, my opinion of his will stay low.

I have seen some big guys UConn trots out, he doesn't seem like he has that kind of twitch like an Okafor, heck even Madsen of Stanford and Hansborough of UNC had better reactions than him.

He has rarely been blocked by a shoter player.  Exceptions happen but he is still good for 20+ and 13+ a game.  I'll take that any day or season.  

Hoefully the Boilers can beat a pretty strong Rutgers team tomorrow.  Even with UConn losing last night, I think they will hold the number 1 ranking next week, but if Purdue wins they will be close.

Purdue ends the regular season with:

Michigan State

At illinois

Wisconsin.  

That is a tough 3 games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Hoefully the Boilers can beat a pretty strong Rutgers team tomorrow.  Even with UConn losing last night, I think they will hold the number 1 ranking next week, but if Purdue wins they will be close.

Purdue ends the regular season with:

Michigan State

At illinois

Wisconsin.  

That is a tough 3 games.

I hope Purdue wins it all. I have always been an IU fan but it was different when Bob Knight was there. If IU stinks now days, I am OK with Purdue doing well. I don't trust Matt Painter though. He coaches like Coach K in the Regular Season then come Tournament time he turns into Frank Kush Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope Purdue wins it all. I have always been an IU fan but it was different when Bob Knight was there. If IU stinks now days, I am OK with Purdue doing well. I don't trust Matt Painter though. He coaches like Coach K in the Regular Season then come Tournament time he turns into Frank Kush Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

With the loss last night, I wonder if IU can even make the tournament this season.  I don't know of anyone who thought that would be the case when the season started.  They could still win a couple in the Big ten tourney and play themselves in but I think the Big Ten may get as many as 8 teams in and that leaves IU on the outside. 

Just now, Myles said:

With the loss last night, I wonder if IU can even make the tournament this season.  I don't know of anyone who thought that would be the case when the season started.  They could still win a couple in the Big ten tourney and play themselves in but I think the Big Ten may get as many as 8 teams in and that leaves IU on the outside. 

Bad loss last night. They are trending toward being out.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:42 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Wow big jump up to 21/22 in the polls...people took note this weekend.

Took down 4 Arizona last night on the road to get control of the PAC 12. probably another big leap in the rankings coming up.

On 2/22/2024 at 7:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bad loss last night. They are trending toward being out.

After thinking about it, IU will not make the tourney.  Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State and IU are out of consideration.  Odd year. 

• Like 2

I really want to see Purdue make a run. I couldn’t believe my eyes when they lost to Virginia in the elite eight a few years ago. They had that game in the bag and watched it slip out of their hands. They would have been favorites to win the whole thing that year. Carsen Edwards was not going to be slowed down, let alone stopped. 

Regardless, what Matt Painter has done at Purdue is incredible. He just needs a final four on his resume. A national championship would be icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 5:44 AM, Myles said:

After thinking about it, IU will not make the tourney.  Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State and IU are out of consideration.  Odd year. 

Michigan State as a lower seed is capable of a few upsets, IMO.

• Like 1