Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do we try to win in 2024?

RunTheBall

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I completely agree. I don’t want Caleb Williams anywhere near this team. But I do think if you have a top 3 pick, you consider it. But it depends on who is on the board to me. Personally, even if we were to somehow end up with number 1, I really want to go WR if there’s one that is truly a game changing type WR. Is that Marv 2.0 or is it someone else? 

If we have a top 3 pick, I'd take Drake Maye and be thrilled about it.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Based off one game?

I agree with the notion that we would have been better served in the long haul to have drafted Levis...but that was my opinion leading up to the draft and afterwards.  Was disappointed when we passed on him for a project...even more disappointed now that our project is out until next season and only finished one game this year...and Levis stepped in 1/4 of the way into the season (when the D is more up to speed on the other team), and had a great game.

It saddens me we’ve just played our week 8 game and the forum is already on to the draft. Not judging, I get it. 

I don’t expect a lot of wins the rest of the season with how the defense is playing. Maybe Stewart will give us a spark when he’s back, but until then at least, this could be a slog. 

The offense is one dimensional with Minshew at the rudder and the defense has more holes than swiss cheese. I hope and root for us to win every game, but I’m honestly down to looking for plays from a few young players at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It saddens me we’ve just played our week 8 game and the forum is already on to the draft. Not judging, I get it. 

I don’t expect a lot of wins the rest of the season with how the defense is playing. Maybe Stewart will give us a spark when he’s back, but until then at least, this could be a slog. 

The offense is one dimensional with Minshew at the rudder and the defense has more holes than swiss cheese. I hope and root for us to win every game, but I’m honestly down to looking for plays from a few young players at this point. 

It’s getting old that half way though the season we are already turning to draft. Just once it would be nice to watch games and have fun watching them. 

In the game thread, I was the only one in favor of tanking before the Saints game. I knew this was coming. Look at the results of the vote if you don't believe me. This year is over as far as contending. The secondary is awful, the D-Line isn't getting pressure, Leonard stinks, and the rest of the LBers can't make up for it. The O-Line is allowing pressure. Minshew is looking like a backup now, and Steichen stopped using Taylor after the first half, so we can't count on him to make correct coaching decisions. 

Bottom line, we need Richardson back and a top 6-8 draft pick where Ballard can dominate the draft like last year. We won't do much in FA, so the only way we can build this team is to do a trade for an elite player, or trade down and get 10-12 picks again where Ballard can hit on some picks for cheap that can contribute. This year is over. Time to tank.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

In the game thread, I was the only one in favor of tanking before the Saints game. I knew this was coming. Look at the results of the vote if you don't believe me. This year is over as far as contending. The secondary is awful, the D-Line isn't getting pressure, Leonard stinks, and the rest of the LBers can't make up for it. The O-Line is allowing pressure. Minshew is looking like a backup now, and Steichen stopped using Taylor after the first half, so we can't count on him to make correct coaching decisions. 

Bottom line, we need Richardson back and a top 6-8 draft pick where Ballard can dominate the draft like last year. We won't do much in FA, so the only way we can build this team is to do a trade for an elite player, or trade down and get 10-12 picks again where Ballard can hit on some picks for cheap that can contribute. This year is over. Time to tank.

We’re not as bad as last season though. I’d rather the team played to win. That’s also the only way to evaluate the team. 

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We’re not as bad as last season though. I’d rather the team played to win. That’s also the only way to evaluate the team. 

The offense is better, but the defense is one of the worst in the league. One step forward, two steps backward. I agree we need to evaluate the team, and it will be throughout the rest of the season. This team can't win though. It's not talented enough. The players are mediocre and the coaching is inconsistent.

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No I do not expect Ballard to shoot for the moon next off-season. It will be another no playoff year of development.

We have a number of players that contribute significantly to make FA decisions on. And a very large number of cap dollars are involved.

I do not believe Steichen is evaluating "the team". I think he will grade players individually, and the same with his coaching staff.

We are now in excellent position for it to be difficult to outscore our opponents. I'm desperately hoping for a much needed top 5 pick in each round.

Let's hope our young guys get better during these 9 games.

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I do not believe Steichen is evaluating "the team". I think he will grade players individually, and the same with his coaching staff.

We are now in excellent position for it to be difficult to outscore our opponents. I'm desperately hoping for a much needed top 5 pick in each round.

Let's hope our young guys get better during these 9 games.

• Like 1

Just now, tweezy32 said:

eh ill take one more year of tanking for Marvin. Can also trade out of our pick for a king ransom if we are high enough for one of the Qbs that are going to go.

If we can get a team to trade up with us for a QB like the Falcons or Pats at the end of the year (if they are below us), I would do that in a heartbeat to accumulate a few picks for this draft and next draft. We need to build for the future so we can keep having draft picks to fill whatever positions we need. I wish we could sign top players in FA, but that doesn't seem possible with Ballard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of you are really forgetting how good Richardson looked in his limited time playing. 

He looked like a good threat running the ball...but not so great as a passer (which is the QBs main duty, obviously).  I just worry that we are going to have another RGIII situation...very talented but unable to play his game and still stay healthy.

I have always said this, it takes a rare circumstance for me not to care about winning and then tanking. As a fan since 1984, I can only think of 3 times in my 40 season fandom where I didn't mind tanking. That was in 1997 once we got to 0-8 because Peyton was coming out, 2011 once we got to 0-8 because Luck was coming out, and last year when we lost to the Texans to end the season because the game was meaningless and secured us getting the 4th pick. In all 3 situations we needed a Franchise QB is why, so in 1997 and 2011 - I wanted us to pick #1 once we got to 0-8 because at that point the season was over and I knew Peyton and Luck were going to be great.

Otherwise to me tanking is a loser mentality. The draft is a crapshoot and you have to be lucky a lot of times to land the right players. For example, a team can pick 7th and another team can pick 15th, the team that picks 15th could easily get the better player. You never know.

I will still root for wins this year until we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Winning is just in my blood, I hate losing but that is how I am built.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have always said this, it takes a rare circumstance for me not to care about winning and then tanking. As a fan since 1984, I can only think of 3 times in my 40 season fandom where I didn't mind tanking. That was in 1997 once we got to 0-8 because Peyton was coming out, 2011 once we got to 0-8 because Luck was coming out, and last year when we lost to the Texans to end the season because the game was meaningless and secured us getting the 4th pick. In all 3 situations we needed a Franchise QB is why, so in 1997 and 2011 - I wanted us to pick #1 once we got to 0-8 because at that point the season was over and I knew Peyton and Luck were going to be great.

Otherwise to me tanking is a loser mentality. The draft is a crapshoot and you have to be lucky a lot of times to land the right players. For example, a team can pick 7th and another team can pick 15th, the team that picks 15th could easily get the better player. You never know.

I will still root for wins this year until we are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Winning is just in my blood, I hate losing but that is how I am built.

Here's the counterpoint. Ballard builds through the draft. He doesn't prefer FA. The team has gotten exposed besides the running game. This just isn't our year. If Richardson was healthy, I would completely agree with you. Without him, there's really no upside to winning 6-8 games and lowering our draft position. We may end up doing that anyway, but I'm just telling you what I prefer. 2018 and 2023 look like two of Ballards best drafts, and he did it with higher draft picks both years. 

I think Ballard is better than the average drafter in the long run. So I disagree it's a complete crapshoot. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s getting old that half way though the season we are already turning to draft. Just once it would be nice to watch games and have fun watching them. 

I can't put into words how much I miss the Peyton Manning days...expected to win every single game (and did, the majority of them)... No matter how much we were down or how much time was left, I always felt like we were still in the game and could/would win...and again, we normally did.   Ever since 2011, I haven't had that feeling with our Colts.  Yes, Luck was good and we all had hope that we would get back to that perineal powerhouse that we were in the 2000s, but we didn't get that, unfortunately.   Nothing against AR, but I just dont think he will have a long career...and I would love to have another QB that we can count on and be excited about for a decade plus!  I hate having to start over every year...knowing we are going nowhere, this early in the season, each year...and having to always wait for "next year"...but now, I feel like we are more than just "next year" away from that... and what top guys we do have now (Buckner, Taylor, Nelson etc) will be old in NFL years, by the time we are ready at other positions.

It's just a frustrating feeling...the reason so many of us fans in our 40s or older hang onto the "glory days", is because it doesn't look like they'll be back, anytime soon.  Not trying to be doom and gloom...but I'm realistic with my expectations.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I can't put into words how much I miss the Peyton Manning days...expected to win every single game (and did, the majority of them)... No matter how much we were down or how much time was left, I always felt like we were still in the game and could/would win...and again, we normally did.   Ever since 2011, I haven't had that feeling with our Colts.  Yes, Luck was good and we all had hope that we would get back to that perineal powerhouse that we were in the 2000s, but we didn't get that, unfortunately.   Nothing against AR, but I just dont think he will have a long career...and I would love to have another QB that we can count on and be excited about for a decade plus!  I hate having to start over every year...knowing we are going nowhere, this early in the season, each year...and having to always wait for "next year"...but now, I feel like we are more than just "next year" away from that... and what top guys we do have now (Buckner, Taylor, Nelson etc) will be old in NFL years, by the time we are ready at other positions.

It's just a frustrating feeling...the reason so many of us fans in our 40s or older hang onto the "glory days", is because it doesn't look like they'll be back, anytime soon.  Not trying to be doom and gloom...but I'm realistic with my expectations.  

Yep. I'm 36 and feel this way. Peyton Manning was my childhood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

I hear the 2047 draft is an all world draft.

We'll start trying to win after that :D..

Every year if we get to 3-5 at the midway point, some just want to tank. Maybe in 2030 we will be good with 50 more draft picks (then again, maybe we won't) lmao . I just take things year by year and enjoy every win possible. To the people saying lets tank, what is the purpose of watching the last half of the season then? If I was a big tank guy. I would just do something else on Sunday to occupy my 4 hours and just see if we won or lost, if we lost then I would be cool. Otherwise if you watch, one is basically rooting for us to lose. I could never do that with the exception of the 3 times I noted above.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

you just did.  read the rest of what you posted.

And what I said, doesn't completely describe the feeling, smart-**...perhaps youre not familiar with the phrase, and that people normally do their best to explain, after they say it.  Either way, I hope you're having a great day. Not looking for childish arguments.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every year if we get to 3-5 at the midway point, some just want to tank. Maybe in 2030 we will be good with 50 more draft picks (then again, maybe we won't) lmao . I just take things year by year and enjoy every win possible. To the people saying lets tank, what is the purpose of watching the last half of the season then? If I was a big tank guy. I would just do something else on Sunday to occupy my 4 hours and just see if we won or lost, if we lost then I would be cool. Otherwise if you watch, one is basically rooting for us to lose. I could never do that with the exception of the 3 times I noted above.

I only feel like tanking at this point because of the combination of the team being bad, and no Richardson as our QB to look forward to watch developing. I said this a couple weeks ago, but without Richardson, the only point of watching is to hope we win if the team is good, and it isn't. You can't watch Richardson develop, and the defense stinks to the point where it destroys our offensive performance every week, so it's not very fun for me. I try to get into it when Taylor, Moss, and Downs do well, but then Steichen does something stupid like stops using Taylor in the 2nd half. Steichen has no concept of game management. 

Generally, I just watch a random game on TV now, and look at gametracker for all the rest of the games (including the Colts). I would have been ok with a win last week to get to 4-4 and then we have a chance, but at this point, at 3-5, with this team, i just want to tank. Hope to sell off a few pieces to make it easier like Moss and Blackmon. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'd be considered an old school fan even though Im not old..Lol

I watch too be entertained regardless if they're favorites or a bottom tier team. I just don't subscribe to tank talk ever because you never know what will happen with players (AR this year is a perfect example).

If you're always looking towards next year what's the point of even watching. That's how I feel, to each their own though.

But It does kill me when I see folks talking tank and draft positioning in September after waiting almost an entire year (9 months basically) for it to come back...

I think some people won't admit it but they're in love with the soap opera of the NFL moreso than the games. Meaning they love draft talk and free agency and live more in a 'what if' fantasy Colts land. To each their own again.

42 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

And what I said, doesn't completely describe the feeling, smart-**...perhaps youre not familiar with the phrase, and that people normally do their best to explain, after they say it.  Either way, I hope you're having a great day. Not looking for childish arguments.

wow.  it was just joke.  thought you would find it funny.

19 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

This was a development year.  We were going to let rookies and schemes develop.  My question is with AR's injury history and Minshew, do we punt on next year too, or do we try to sign players to go as far as possible?  The offensive line is good again, and Raimann and Freeland look like keepers.  Tayor, Downs, and Pittman give us some punch.  Do we try to sign some secondary players and a wr, and go as far as we can, or do we put the brakes on and just develop another year of rookies?  I say give Steichen some defensive toys and go for it.

I’ve tried to think of the proper responses to this post and the best I come up with is just…

Dear God

I think Ballard is average...I think him finding a few "diamonds in the rough" has made him kind of like Polian became in his later years, as in he is trying to look smarter than everyone else, by drafting the guy no one else had on their radar...and it doesnt work that often.   There are so many times that the obvious choice is the right choice, but instead, we pick someone no one has heard of, in hope that he hits and Ballard looks like a genius.

I think Ballard also thinks very highly of himself, which doesnt make him a bad GM...but even when he attempts to portray it, i dont think he really takes responsibility for his failures... as someone else said earlier, it's because of this or that player or coach or injury etc... While Frank may have been on board with it, i feel he kept taking re-tread QBs because it was a way to NOT swing and miss and lose his job...so he played it safe... I think Irsay forced his hand at taking a QB this past draft, and now we have to hope he got it right...but again, he skipped the "obvious choice" on the board in Levis, and took the risky guy (and hopes he looks like the genius if he hits).  But in the NFL, in the top 5 of the draft when you NEED a franchise QB so desperately...you dont draft on hopes and potential etc. (that's more of something that they do in the NBA, taking a guy who is clearly not ready, because they hope he is the next big thing/dont want to pass on the next big thing...this became a bigger trend after Kobe was drafted as a very raw but physically gifted player).

Anyhow...Irsay is always willing to spend money...but we rarely in my 25 years as a fan, have had a GM that will spend on free agency...instead, we always end up with the highest paid guy at a non-premium position, because we drafted them ourselves.   Lots of guys say you cant mortgage your future to win now...but some teams NEVER win a Super Bowl, so whatever it takes to win one, is worth it in my book... we went to TWO with Peyton Manning in 12 years... Denver went to two with him in 4 years, because they werent afraid to go into free agency to fill the holes they had with top caliber players, to capitalize on their window to WIN.

I feel had we done that more when Peyton was HERE, we would have more than 1 Super Bowl win.

I also, while i'm complaining....want to point out that we were a rhythm and timing offense with Peyton...so sitting our starters every year once we locked up the bye week in the playoffs really was *ic...it's why we did so poorly and had so many first game exits in the playoffs.... we always came out super rusty because a team like we had all those years NEEDS the game reps to stay rolling...you sit them for a few weeks and shouldnt be surprised when we come out looking awful in our first playoff game.  That's probably what helped us in 2006, we actually had to play our starters up until the playoffs started.

ok, end of rant... for now! 🤣

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I’ve tried to think of the proper responses to this post and the best I come up with is just…

Dear God

Would it make you fell better if I said rebuilding year instead of development year?  It was clear this was a rebuild year, and it seems reasonable to ask if next year will be the same, or do we have enough talent in the right places to try to acquire the talent to compete with the Jags.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Would it make you fell better if I said rebuilding year instead of development year?  It was clear this was a rebuild year, and it seems reasonable to ask if next year will be the same, or do we have enough talent in the right places to try to acquire the talent to compete with the Jags.

Nope. That still does not mask the stink. 

I don’t think they should tank this current season let alone a season a year from now.

Why can’t players and the team develop while winning?  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Nope. That still does not mask the stink. 

I don’t think they should tank this current season let alone a season a year from now.

Why can’t players and the team develop while winning?  

They are competing at a very high level.  It isn't the players, or their desire to win.  It is Ballard looking at the roster and saying whether there are enough pieces to go for higher priced players at places of need.  The fact that Ballard didn't sign quality veteran help at corner tells me he knew that the team wasn't ready to go for a playoff spot.  Even without Rodgers and the injury to Flowers, you don't go into a season thinking Rodgers, Flowers, and a 2nd round pick is enough to unseat the Jags.   I think we have enough pieces to try to be a playoff team next year.  The biggest question is will Ballard invest in a serious push next year, or will he dial it back again because of AR's injury this year?