Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well you cannot blame them. Factor in last year and this year how Irsay said he is not trading and then only 2 weeks later, Taylor is on the block. Irsay needs to go away and say nothing. I was hoping that Irsay learned his lesson from last year and would stay hidden. I am a little concerned about Irsay's influence in making decisions behind the scenes. I said it a week ago that this remind me of Wentz and Irsay would not tolerate the moping on field nd would want him gone

Maybe circumstances changed in two weeks that caused them to change their minds.  That happens all the time in life.  Not a big deal.  Whatever is best for the team.

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe circumstances changed in two weeks that caused them to change their minds.  That happens all the time in life.  Not a big deal.  Whatever is best for the team.

But that's why you keep quiet, cause I predicted a while ago this would go south. Thats why i hate it when Ballard is so eager to profess  his love for a player on the eve of a new contract. He needs to be more restrained in his enthusiasm. He did it with Nelson and now with Taylor. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay is not going away and he is not shutting up no matter your opinion.  

Nor should he imo.

He is the owner and he can do what he want. I am not in love with Ballard, but it just under cuts Ballard's influence on making tough decisions. It looks to the NFL and media that Irsay is in charge and not Ballard. Irsay needs to let Ballard sink or swim this season. I doubt Ballard is loving this situation

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't agree.  The media's job is to report, not to manufacture. 

I mean i just kind of a way to get some Don Henley on the forum.

On a deeper sense their job vs what they do is genuinely wildly different regardless of what kind of news.

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not in love with Ballard, but it just under cuts Ballard's influence on making tough decisions. It looks to the NFL and media that Irsay is in charge and not Ballard.

True Dat, 

In fact, virtually nobody on this board is addressing the Taylor situation by talking about Ballard's position.  Its Irsay.  Irsay has once again put himself in the position as representing the Colts when it comes to personnel decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

True Dat, 

In fact, virtually nobody on this board is addressing the Taylor situation by talking about Ballard's position.  Its Irsay.  Irsay has once again put himself in the position as representing the Colts when it comes to personnel decisions.

CB pretty much seems like a manakin at this point at least in this deal.

Who knows what's going on in Good Time Jimmy's org right now though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Perhaps Irsay felt he had to step in to announce the Colts position of holding JT to the contract because of some concern that Ballard might have just extended him like Nelson and Leonard.   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ballard isn’t stupid. Your coming off surgery and didn’t have a great year. We have a new HC go out and prove your healthy then we will talk.  I am sure Ballard and Irsay are on the same page.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Perhaps Irsay felt he had to step in to announce the Colts position of holding JT to the contract because of some concern that Ballard might have just extended him like Nelson and Leonard.   

Well we tried to warn them lol. 

But if Good Time is the voice of reason here. . . 

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard isn’t stupid. Your coming off surgery and didn’t have a great year. We have a new HC go out and prove your healthy then we will talk.  I am sure Ballard and Irsay are on the same page.

Neither Nelson nor Leonard had great years and were coming off surgeries.  Was he stupid then?  And learned the error of his ways?

Hence the holdout. Henry did 2 things here hurt the Colts and now can win the rushing title. Why not do it in college. Heck didn't JT run for 2k twice? 

If you listen to Henrys advice then every player is in the same boat.

Wished I had a 4 million dollar problem.  Don't know to many jobs paying 4 mill a year

You signed a contract live up to it 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Neither Nelson nor Leonard had great years and were coming off surgeries.  Was he stupid then?  And learned the error of his ways?

I think this is a sign Ballard is changing his approach. He is right we only won 4 games last year and everything needs evaluated.  It doesn’t help Taylor is a RB too. Ballard hinted at all of this in his presser before training camp started. Taylor should not of taken everything so personal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this is a sign Ballard is changing his approach. He is right we only won 4 games last year and everything needs evaluated.  It doesn’t help Taylor is a RB too. Ballard hinted at all of this in his presser before training camp started. Taylor should not of taken everything so personal.

I’m not sure if Taylor is taking things personal.  He may and I would understand if he did.  

But I think he is just trying to force more money and/or a trade.  This team has very little going for it right now and RBs earning windows tend to be very short.

I think the premises of his logic are flawed, but we shouldn’t ignore that he hired Shaqs agent who got Shaq a grossly overpriced deal.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this is a sign Ballard is changing his approach.

What some of us are observing is that the amount of focus being placed on this by Irsay, its suggesting that he may be forcing Ballard to change his approach where Ballard might not otherwise do so on his own.

Just pointing out that during the draft, Ballard took the lead on the AR pick and Irsay stepped back, indicating it was more Ballard's decision.

The amount of visibility Irsay has provided to the JT situation makes it hard to think Ballard is pulling the strings for the Colts as much.  Ballard could very well be, but Irsay's comments do tend to muddy the waters as to who is directly in charge of the contract.

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Did Nelson and Leonard have All Pro seasons right before and after signing their contracts?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

hmmm I think i said something similar to that not to far ago lol

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Do you know who votes for all pro Jvan?  Hint.  It’s not football guys.

It's media guys.   Media guys also vote for the hall of fame.   

Players voted Nelson in the top 30 in both 2020 and 2021

Leonard was ranked 37 in 2020 and 18 in 2021.

Those are voted on by football guys

Just now, jvan1973 said:

So now you move goal posts again.   I guess NFL players aren't football guys. 

PFF also says Derrick Henry is 7th in pass protection.   You know,  the guy you said wasn't good at pass pro.  

You asked about all pro.  Media guys vote for all pro BB.  Guys who studies Shakespeare and ed Murrow lol.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

So now you move goal posts again.   I guess NFL players aren't football guys. 

PFF also says Derrick Henry is 7th in pass protection.   You know,  the guy you said wasn't good at pass pro.  

How did pff grade JT?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I never said JT was good at pass pro.  You said Henry wasn't. 

That was an excellent example of the classic logical fallacy called a non sequitur.

I might use that as an example of what not to do someday.  Thank you.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Did you not say Henry was bad at pass pro?

he’s not been great at it.  Did he have a better year last year .  I don’t pay for pff so look up sample size.  He’s rarely on the field in obvious passing downs.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/08/29/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-lens-rb-derrick-henry-pass-protection-struggles/

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

he’s not been great at it.  Did he have a better year last year .  I don’t pay for pff so look up sample size.  He’s rarely on the field in obvious passing downs.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2018/08/29/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-lens-rb-derrick-henry-pass-protection-struggles/

What is Matt Waldons background?   Media and fantasy football

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is the owner and he can do what he want. I am not in love with Ballard, but it just under cuts Ballard's influence on making tough decisions. It looks to the NFL and media that Irsay is in charge and not Ballard. Irsay needs to let Ballard sink or swim this season. I doubt Ballard is loving this situation

ballard likes the money, with his win loss record he cant expect elite players to want to work for him. rbs have a short career and taylor  knows there is no chance for a superbowl with the colts as long as ballard is here,

• Like 1

Interesting point here in this paragraph. 

Holder: There's been little indication that fences can be mended, but Taylor has considerable incentive to have a productive season. He could become an unrestricted free agent in the spring, and he'll want to enter free agency following a strong performance. He will need to be activated from the physically unable to perform list by Aug. 29 or face the possibility of missing the first four weeks of the regular season. He's also scheduled to earn $4.304 million this season, provided he complies with his contract.

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You have ragged on Irsay and Ballard for as long as i remember reading your comments about them. I'm not sure you are a fan of the Colts or not?

I really think you love to find things to whine about no matter what goes on.  I 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have ragged on Irsay and Ballard for as long as i remember reading your comments about them. I'm not sure you are a fan of the Colts or not?

I really think you love to find things to whine about no matter what goes on.  I 

Moose is high on AR.  

CC, I know I’m a Colts fan but man we’ve done some dumb stuff and haven’t had much success going on close to a decade now.

I actually joined this board about a week before Luck retired and was totally excited and positive.  Since then, we’ve had a rough time if it and these last couple of seasons have been disastrous and our org just looks terrible.

I really don’t understand what people are looking at if they don’t see that.

I wish people would just talk ball and lose the personal attacks.

I don’t initiate attacks but I also don’t back down from them.

in short there is a lot to whine about lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

He’s rarely on the field in obvious passing downs.

An example as to why stats and rankings could be flawed, and the eye test could be superior.

If true, that Henry is not on the field a lot during pass plays, then I would take it that the coaches think he is not good at pass pro, (superior to both the media and other players opinions).  I would take their word over a data compilation service like PFF who might only have a small sample size for which Henry excelled...you know, did well as pass pro when the defense didn't expect a pass play with Henry on the field.  

Or, he could be off the field during pass plays because the coaches don't think he can catch, and not because of pass pro.

The dynamic with Henry is sort of the same as with JT regarding pass pro.  I would throw them into the same bucket as being untrustworthy pass protectors based upon how the coaches are choosing to use them.

And, if they have catching issues...not saying they do...it would appear that the coaches do not value JTs and Henry's contribution to the passing game as maybe some other RBs.

Has JT been traded for two 5th rounders yet?  LOL.