Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are the Rookie NFL Head Coaches doing?

VikingsFanInChennai

Including in Colts section as Colts are very much part of this discussion.

Do you think Colts made the best decision?

New Head Coaches of 2023:

Panthers - Frank Reich

Broncos - Sean Payton

Colts - Shane Steichen

Texans - DeMeco Ryans

Cardinals - Jonathan Gannon 

For now, Broncos seemed to have made the worst decision.

Panthers made their decision very early in off-season and they chose the safest option, but many know the ceiling isn't probably high for them going in that direction.

To me, Cardinals HC has surprised me the most with their gusty performances every week, with injuries to their QB and after releasing Zach Allen.

Texans and Colts also seemed to have made right decisions as the teams are competing much earlier than many would've expected.

What's your take? 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So far, we made the right decision. It is still early though, we need to get to 4-1 for me to really start believing Shane is very good. We should beat the Rams and the Titans, that is our next 2 opponents. The other coaches have been disappointing so far. The Broncos are a complete mess so are the Panthers.

Frank Reich didn't  learn from his time here that he needs to not call plays

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If panthers had gone stroud they wouldn't be  0-3

Not with that coach calling the plays 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So far, we made the right decision. It is still early though, we need to get to 4-1 for me to really start believing Shane is very good. We should beat the Rams and the Titans, that is our next 2 opponents. The other coaches have been disappointing so far. The Broncos are a complete mess so are the Panthers.

I agree, it’s far too early to pass judgement good or bad

• Like 1

At this point of the season - we have a very limited "sample size" - and - therefore can not make an educated assessment of their abilities.

That said - I believe the Colts made the BEST decision - followed by the Cardinals - based on the PLAY of their roster coupled with their play calling abilities.

We can argue who's the best much later in the season.

14 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Panthers - Frank Reich

Broncos - Sean Payton

Colts - Shane Steichen

Texans - DeMeco Ryans

Panthers made their decision very early in off-season and they chose the safest option, but many know the ceiling isn't probably high for them going in that direction.

To me, Cardinals HC has surprised me the most with their gusty performances every week, with injuries to their QB and after releasing Zach Allen.

Texans and Colts also seemed to have made right decisions as the teams are competing much earlier than many would've expected.

What's your take? 

Ryans and Steichen are doing great so far. Cannon’s Cardinals are more competitive than most expected as well.

Interestingly enough, it’s the veteran coaches who are off to a bad start. The Panthers gave up everything to take Bryce Young, and in doing so have no weapons to help Young out. 

I don’t even know what to say about the Broncos. What a disaster. They’re now stuck with both Wilson and Payton…

Frank Reich failed to evolve, and now he will be left in the past. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Ryans and Steichen are doing great so far. Cannon’s Cardinals are more competitive than most expected as well.

Interestingly enough, it’s the veteran coaches who are off to a bad start. The Panthers gave up everything to take Bryce Young, and in doing so have no weapons to help Young out. 

I don’t even know what to say about the Broncos. What a disaster. They’re now stuck with both Wilson and Payton…

I don't think its paytons fault tbh. he walked into an awful situation, we probably ends up with 1st pick overall upcoming draft, where he can build his team 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Panthers - Frank Reich

Broncos - Sean Payton

Colts - Shane Steichen

Texans - DeMeco Ryans

What's your take? 

Payton and Reich are not rookie HCs.  Not sure about the others save Steichen.

• Like 3

Shane:  I’d say the right choice.  Developed a “raw” QB who only had 13 starts in college into a serviceable QB, so far.  Team looks prepared, energetic.

Ryans:  Right choice.  Came into a crap show.   Limited talent.  But had a good draft and got Stroud looking really good

Reich:  Wrong choice.  Same ol same ol.  Situation wasn’t the best, but his QB doesn’t look like he’s had the best support.

Payton:  TBD, came into a crap situation.  GM is really the problem IMO.  Can’t really say what this is until he gets his guys in there.  Let’s not forget, the broncos wanted to give the DC (a black coach) the HC position.  He turned it down lol

Gannon:  Right choice.  So far so good.  Doesn’t have his starting QB but the team looks better than what Kliff had it at. 

• Like 1