Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joint Practices

Bearzzz

Hey all, been a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to the joint practices between Bears & Colts. We didn't really get to see much from Bears starting units in first preseason game. Going vs Colts in practice & game 2 will be a good test.

• Like 8

Our 1st team OL should be able to control the line of scrimmage considering the Titans OL just did in their game against CHI, and they’re considerably worse on paper there. If ours doesn’t win in the trenches we have a problem. Hoping Richardson continues to progress and make smart throws. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Our 1st team OL should be able to control the line of scrimmage considering the Titans OL just did in their game against CHI, and they’re considerably worse on paper there. If ours doesn’t win in the trenches we have a problem. Hoping Richardson continues to progress and make smart throws. 

Agree, I think our defensive line is the weakest position group on the team.  I want to see how our offensive line holds up vs Colts.  I think it is good for Richardson to see a player similar to himself on the other side.  Maybe pickup up some lessons along the way.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

Agree, I think our defensive line is the weakest position group on the team.  I want to see how our offensive line holds up vs Colts.  I think it is good for Richardson to see a player similar to himself on the other side.  Maybe pickup up some lessons along the way.

If Buck isn’t playing, your O line will be just fine.  We can’t pressure the QB, but we make up for that by having next to no experienced DBs.  

Every team that goes against us should try to get into 3rd and longs.  They have about a 90% chance to convert.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearzzz said:

Yes, please anything but that!

How do you think Fields' development is coming? It seems like they've been really conservative with him as a passer, do you think that's helped him? Is he ready to lead a more aggressive passing attack? Has it been more about the receiving options around him?

I'm curious because we're starting a similar project, and our guys have a lot in common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

How do you think Fields' development is coming? It seems like they've been really conservative with him as a passer, do you think that's helped him? Is he ready to lead a more aggressive passing attack? Has it been more about the receiving options around him?

I'm curious because we're starting a similar project, and our guys have a lot in common.

To tell you the truth I am still not sure.  I wish the starting offense would have taken a few more snaps in the first preseason game.  Reports out of camp have been positive and they have been primarily working on the short passing game, which has been his weakness. That's why I am anxious to see how he performs vs Colts. I think the Colts will throw looks he hasn't seen in practice at him and it will be a good measuring stick of his progress.

• Like 2

Well, the Bears and Eagles both have athletic QBs, so I can only imagine that their Ds are used to defending them in practice.  Good choice of teams for joint practices.  It’ll give AR a little taste of how he’ll be defended this year…

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Similar in that they both can run.  I'm a Buckeye and watched every game Fields played.  He was much more polished in college.  Expectedly so.  

AR5 is like a bigger version, body wise.  But he's yet to show he's as accurate.

I think the main thing for both of them is pure QB awareness at the pro level.  Which is an entire different thing than in college.  And I may be looking at it through Colts colored glasses, but I think AR may turn out better in that aspect than Fields.  Just MHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Well, the Bears and Eagles both have athletic QBs, so I can only imagine that their Ds are used to defending them in practice.  Good choice of teams for joint practices.  It’ll give AR a little taste of how he’ll be defended this year…

If used right, puts defenses in a tough position.  I think these practices will be beneficial to both teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Similar in that they both can run.  I'm a Buckeye and watched every game Fields played.  He was much more polished in college.  Expectedly so.  

AR5 is like a bigger version, body wise.  But he's yet to show he's as accurate.

I think the main thing for both of them is pure QB awareness at the pro level.  Which is an entire different thing than in college.  And I may be looking at it through Colts colored glasses, but I think AR may turn out better in that aspect than Fields.  Just MHO.

I agree. I think they've really handcuffed Fields so far, he's probably capable of doing more than he's been allowed to do. 

And yeah, there are differences between Fields and Richardson, but I think the process and scheme will be similar. Just hopefully the Colts aren't as rigid with Richardson.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kind of sad with joint practices and Richardson named the starter we probably won’t see much from the starters in the game Saturday.

He will play.   He needs reps more than any starting qb ever.   Probably the same he had last week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He will play.   He needs reps more than any starting qb ever.   Probably the same he had last week

I am guessing starters will probably play the entire 1st half on Saturday. The last game will be for players at the bottom of the roster.

3 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

I am guessing starters will probably play the entire 1st half on Saturday. The last game will be for players at the bottom of the roster.

Not with joint practices. They treat this as more important then the game. Maybe a few snaps but won’t be much. Just a hunch. I doubt they would stick him out there with the second team. Could be wrong though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I agree. I think they've really handcuffed Fields so far, he's probably capable of doing more than he's been allowed to do. 

And yeah, there are differences between Fields and Richardson, but I think the process and scheme will be similar. Just hopefully the Colts aren't as rigid with Richardson.

I think they had to do what they had to do with Fields last year because they had no talent. The handcuffs should be off this year.

12 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Hey all, been a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to the joint practices between Bears & Colts. We didn't really get to see much from Bears starting units in first preseason game. Going vs Colts in practice & game 2 will be a good test.

Depending on  how the joint practices  go the starters from both teams may not play much Saturday 

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

If Buck isn’t playing, your O line will be just fine.  We can’t pressure the QB, but we make up for that by having next to no experienced DBs.  

Every team that goes against us should try to get into 3rd and longs.  They have about a 90% chance to convert.  

how did we get 44 sacks last year if true? we had a few vs Buffalo as well.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not with joint practices. They treat this as more important then the game. Maybe a few snaps but won’t be much. Just a hunch. I doubt they would stick him out there with the second team. Could be wrong though.

how did we handle the Detroit preseason after joint practices last year?

15 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Thr only thing similar about Fields and Richardson is that they are Uber athletic.  Fields will never be an NFL qb. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Do u feel that Steichen was conservative in his play calling with Richardson? I don't think so. They are conservative with Fields because he cannot process. The trait of every great over rated qb from Ohio who wins because of the talent around them and not within themselves.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

C this is where I disagree with.  I think the only similarities with Richardson is that they are athletic. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Coach said he might not play Saturday with the joint practices going on. 

You'd think they would want to get as many live reps possible with the regular season just around the corner.  As much as they try to simulate it, the QBs know they aren't getting hit.

6 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

You'd think they would want to get as many live reps possible with the regular season just around the corner.  As much as they try to simulate it, the QBs know they aren't getting hit.

I think at this point the coaches want to see the players who are on the bubble. 

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I still feel like they will play the starters into the second quarter or the half.  Maybe things have changed but the second to last preseason game has usually been where you see starters get most PT.  It has been a couple of years since Bears have been in joint practices though, so not 100% certain.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thr only thing similar about Fields and Richardson is that they are Uber athletic.  Fields will never be an NFL qb. 

You may be right, we shall see. But our GM has set it up where we have 2 first round picks (thanks Carolina!) in a nice QB class, in case things don't pan out with QB1. Just like I've been saying.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

You may be right, we shall see. But our GM has set it up where we have 2 first round picks (thanks Carolina!) in a nice QB class, in case things don't pan out with QB1. Just like I've been saying.

Yeah you guys are in a really good spot here, either way you potentially win big.

Outcome A) - Fields shows that he is good and you can add some really good weapons for him with your 2 first round picks.

Outcome B) - Fields shows the NFL is too big for him, you guys have a bad season and he can't cut it, you come away with a high pick already and you can use the other pick to make sure you can move into position for one of the big 2 QBs and move on.

Either way, you will have options.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u feel that Steichen was conservative in his play calling with Richardson? I don't think so. They are conservative with Fields because he cannot process. The trait of every great over rated qb from Ohio who wins because of the talent around them and not within themselves.

Funny thing is, you can make the same statement about Florida QBs. Tebow, Wuerffel, Matthews, Spurrier, Grossman.... IMO, Past performance from a particular school means nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Funny thing is, you can make the same statement about Florida QBs. Tebow, Wuerffel, Matthews, Spurrier, Grossman.... IMO, Past performance from a particular school means nothing.

It does when they are surrounded by tons of talent and the fact that thr system that they run does not translate to NFL success. The difference with Ohio qbs is that they are severely over drafted unlike Florida qbs. Therefore the there is an urgency for immediate success.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

To be fair, there have only been two Buckeye QBs drafted in the first round in the last 10 or so years that have played real games in the NFL.   I think Haskins would have been good with the right coaching, but we’ll never know.  

The jury isn’t out on Fields.  It would help if he had a line and some talent around him.  We don’t know about Stroud yet.

Yes, they have had stellar players around them.  But they started because of their abilities to take advantage of that talent.  

So, maybe I’m taking your comment a little personally as a Buckeye, but can you name any school that has only had successful QBs drafted in the first round?

4 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

I said this before the draft. Thr Bears had a chance on Bryce Young. I would have picked him and traded Fields. Now here is thr problem with the Bears accumulated picks. They took themselves out of the number one pick. Let's say they win 5 or more games. They will have taken themselves our of the Wiliams and Maye sweepstakes. Teams with the 1st and 2nd pick won't trade out as they will most likely need a franchise qb. Now the Bears may have to trade up to get a qb if Fields is a bust. Therefore, what have u really accomplished?

C this is where I disagree with.  I think the only similarities with Richardson is that they are athletic. 

Maybe Fields can't process, but it's hard to tell when they have him handcuffed. I don't know how someone can miss all the similarities, though -- size, athleticism, running ability, arm strength, limited but explosive production in college, etc. You're talking about Fields as if he's less capable than Richardson, but Richardson is more raw, untapped, and inexperienced than Fields was coming out.

As for the play calling on Saturday, I'm not taking too much from 12-15 plays. But if that resembles a real gameplan, yeah it was conservative. Quick passes, RPOs, very specific downfield attacks on half field reads, etc. And I'm fine with that, especially in preseason, and it was not as conservative as the Bears seem with Fields... But I won't judge a gameplan based on one quarter's worth of calls. What I want to know is how we'd handle a tight game in the second half, what we'll do on 3rd and long in the 4th quarter, etc. 

• Like 1

Steichen is going to have everyone  go deep every play and tire out the defenses lol

Just now, Stephen said:

Steichen is going to have everyone  go deep every play and tire out the defenses lol

Actually, I don't think u are to far off. I think Pierce is built for this system. Gransom is going to excell, and I think Pittman is replaceable especially,when he wants north of 20 million.