Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change of defensive philosophy needed?

Moosejawcolt

20 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure he can jump high and far but he is a 4.5 corner so I think the RAS is really misleading.  I would not rate him that high athletically if he can only run 4.5. For a guy to be a freak, he would have to be a Ramsey clone.

People put faaaar too much value on being able to run really really fast, in a straight line, with no one in your way or any defenders to think about, in basically your underpants.

Do you know what Richard Sherman's 40 yard dash time was? 4.56s.... He didn't have too bad of a career now did he? It's about so much more than just being able to run fast, and also yeah, his other measureables really do help him cover that "only" 4.5 speed.

8 hours ago, Chucklez said:

People put faaaar too much value on being able to run really really fast, in a straight line, with no one in your way or any defenders to think about, in basically your underpants.

Do you know what Richard Sherman's 40 yard dash time was? 4.56s.... He didn't have too bad of a career now did he? It's about so much more than just being able to run fast, and also yeah, his other measureables really do help him cover that "only" 4.5 speed.

I agree about running in a straight line. However,  a low 40 speaks to one's recovery speed. Rarely does a corner who runs a 4.5 have good recovery speed. In other words, corners with 4.5 are usually zone corners and lack the true speed to play man. I actually cannot think of a true shut down/man corner in the NFL who runs a 4.5 and/or does not have elite speed. Sherman was a great corner in the Seattle system, but he never would have been able to sit on an island to shut a guy down. Putting a guy over by himself and saying "hey you take care of that guy" allows your defense to be way more flexible. Corners that are drafted high in the draft are drafted because they are usually going to play man. Witherspoon and Gonzalez have that speed. Thats why the Witherspoon pick was shocking to me and  I think it  means a change in philosophy for Seattle. It tells me that they are going to be playing man because they never draft corners that high.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree about running in a straight line. However,  a low 40 speaks to one's recovery speed. Rarely does a corner who runs a 4.5 have good recovery speed. In other words, corners with 4.5 are usually zone corners and lack the true speed to play man. I actually cannot think of a true shut down/man corner in the NFL who runs a 4.5 and/or does not have elite speed. Sherman was a great corner in the Seattle system, but he never would have been able to sit on an island to shut a guy down. Putting a guy over by himself and saying "hey you take care of that guy" allows your defense to be way more flexible. Corners that are drafted high in the draft are drafted because they are usually going to play man. Witherspoon and Gonzalez have that speed. Thats why the Witherspoon pick was shocking to me and  I think it  means a change in philosophy for Seattle. It tells me that they are going to be playing man because they never draft corners that high.

This may sound naive, but isn't the free safety supposed to help with corners over the top, helping with those corners with slower 40 times?

personally, I really like the physical corners we drafted to pair with Moore and Rogers. 

I'm certainly not a football scheme guy, nor do i pretend to be.  But just looking at an example like the Eagles.

Put the physical corners like Brents/Rush on the physical receivers like AJ Brown (I think Ya-Sin actually did well against these types, underrated Ballard player imo)

put moore/rogers sr on guys like DaVontae Smith. 

28 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

This may sound naive, but isn't the free safety supposed to help with corners over the top, helping with those corners with slower 40 times?

Yes, but mostly in man coverage.   

In Zone Cover-3, the field is cut into thirds.   The FS has the middle third and the outside corners have the outside thirds.   How much the FS can cover to the outside I think is a judgement call by the FS.   

There are some here who might know the more technical nuance of this.   I’m sure if they read my post they will chime in one way or the other.  

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

That's why with corners with man ability, you don't have to play a safety over the top. That's why they make the  big money. 

Archived