Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft -- April 27th to April 29

NFLfan

28 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Maybe Dee Winters in the 5th to add some depth?

Winters is a little small (5'11" 211 lbs) but he's a converted Safety and gives some slid coverage ability. I wouldn't mind him in the 5th.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Tre Tucker ahead of Tyler Scott, what the hell? 

Makes no sense to me..

39 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

@NFLfan good CB pick for you guys!

I don't know him. His weaknesses are concerning. Ringo would have been better. Anyone know why he dropped?

The last two drafts have been very underwhelming. I don't like drafting WRs, Safeties and RBs in the first round. Last year we drafted a safety, Cine, and this year Addison.

The Browns did not have a 1st or 2nd round pick and have had a better draft than the Vikings. :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Robert Smith!!!

CB pick is good, I read he's very high IQ player who has ball skills in variety of coverage, and he's got high praise for coverage skills which is what Vikings need. Durability in his frame and injury concerns that plagued two of four seasons are the concerns. If healthy, he could play. I hope Booth Jr is healthy for a season so we can see what he's got too. 

They need more guys though, so I hope they target free agency as well. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know him. His weaknesses are concerning. Ringo would have been better. Anyone know why he dropped?

The last two drafts we have been very underwhelming. I don't like drafting WRs, Safeties and RBs in the first round. Last year we drafted a safety, Cine, and this year Addison.

The Browns did not have a 1st or 2nd round pick and had a better draft than the Vikings. :facepalm:

Sorry you feel that way. I do understand the frustration. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The last two drafts we have had have been very underwhelming. I don't like drafting WRs, Safeties and RBs in the first round. Last year we drafted a safety, Cine, and this year Addison.

The Browns did not have a 1st or 2nd round pick and had a better draft than the Vikings. :facepalm:

Oh Ringo is still available? not sure what is going on... is there a possibility we could trade up and get him early tomorrow? I wouldn't mind giving up future third if it takes to get to the first pick in the noon to draft him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The last two drafts we have had have been very underwhelming. I don't like drafting WRs, Safeties and RBs in the first round. Last year we drafted a safety, Cine, and this year Addison.

PFF rated him 2nd among CBs last season. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

PFF rated him 2nd among CBs last season. 

so he was healthy last season :thmup:

Good to know he's highly rated, Vikings are in "do with what you got" mode this year .. another CB selection would make me feel better as our CBs Dantzler or Booth are injury prone, and S Lewis Cine is coming off a season ending injury.

The CB meetings happen with a doctors appointment :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

so he was healthy last season :thmup:

Good to know he's highly rated, Vikings are in "do with what you got" mode this year .. another CB selection would make me feel better as our CBs Dantzler or Booth are injury prone, and S Lewis Cine is coming off a season ending injury.

The CB meetings happen with a doctors appointment :lol:

Dantzler was cut and Patrick Peterson signed with the Steelers.

Dantzler was signed by the Commanders.

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

well, we just drafted TJ Hockenson 

I hear he'll be very good, even may come out as the best in this great TE class. 

Some may even say we got the best head start that way than all other teams haha

23 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Durability in his frame and injury concerns that plagued two of four seasons are the concerns.

Thanks for the info. Why are we drafting injury-prone guys? Almost our whole draft class last year missed the season with injury.

Addison has an injury history. And now this guy too? Smh

I have to sleep this disappointment away.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. We did not re-sign Shelley either.

I forgot we got Byron Murphy, he's very good. I didn't know we got Joejuan Williams, I liked him coming out in his draft class - not sure why he was not utilized much with Patriots, looks like he may be coming off injury and didn't play much last year. 

So, if Booth and Cine are healthy and Blackmon gets to show some of his skills, we can look better I guess. 

Maybe, they will go BPA going forward? I'd not mind moving up from #119 for Ringo, but they'd have drafted him if they wanted already. 

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

well, we just drafted TJ Hockenson 

I hear he'll be very good, even may come out as the best in this great TE class. 

Some may even say we got the best head start that way than all other teams haha

TJ is older

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for the info. Why are we drafting injury-prone guys? Almost our whole draft class last year missed the season with injury.

Addison has an injury history. And now this guy too? Smh

I have to sleep this disappointment away.

Who did you want? I was busy for last few hours, I've not checked other selections and not sure how draft went on. What made you feel disappointed other than injury guys, did you think of any specific players? 

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Who did you want? I was busy for last few hours, I've not checked other selections and not sure how draft went on. What made you feel disappointed other than injury guys, did you think of any specific players? 

I can't remember who I wanted last year but I gave the new GM the benefit of the doubt. No one worked out.

This year is the disappointment.

1) I am not pleased that we took a WR in the first, especially with so much talent on the board.

2) I wanted us to trade up for Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd. (He is injury-prone too but we would not need him to play this year.)

3) I liked CBs Banks and Branch who we had a chance to get. I liked Gonzalez better but we had no chance at him.

4) Lastly, we had a chance at Nolan Smith. That was my favorite player.

I liked Downs a lot but OutWest63 told me he would not be a first round pick. I thought we may have had a chance at him.

Anyway, let's see what happens tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

I always look at current roster and what players need to be replaced with Draft picks. Last 2 days we upgraded 3 weak starting spots. Looking at what we have will tell us what direction it should take tomorrow.

Starting RG-Will Fries-  Hopefully Zavalla with next pick,Fries is an ok backup IL. May have to sign Free Agent Dalton Risner

Swing Tackle-C.O'Donnell/J.Murray- We need 2 swing Tackles as neither of these 2 has taken an NFL snap, 1 will come tomorrow

Center-We likely let Pinter and French battle it out but could draft a Center late

TE-We are set 7 deep

WR- We look set with MPJ,Pierce,Downs,Mckenzie,Dulin,Streichen as top 6, maybe a late flyer on a wr with size

QB-Set

RB-JT,Moss,Evans,Jackson,Funk so a late pick on a 3rd down back would make sense.

DE-Paye,Dayo,Ebukan,Lewis all locks,rest Cline,Berry,Kareem can lose a spot to a DE drafted

DT-Buckner,Stewart,Bryan,Johnson all locks, Agim and Williams likely on bubble so a DT could be drafted but doubtful

LB-Leonard,Speed,Franklin,Stuart,Domann all locks but 1 spot open with McGrone,Rhyne,Olubi so a LB pick coming

CB-Moore,Rodgers,Brents,Flowers,Brown all locked 1 open spot for Tolliver,Baker,Vereen and a day 3 draft pick

S-Blackmon,Thomas,Cross all locked last spot open for draft pick to battle Denbow,Dabo and Black

P-Set

K-Set

so tomorrow- 1 G,   1T,  1 WR  ,1RB  ,1DE  ,1LB ,1CB ,1 S

Targets

Zavalla,Saldiveri-G

Jones,Freeland-T

Iosivas,Boutee-WR

Vaughn,Hull-RB

Fehoko,Wooden-DE

To'o to'o,Papoe-LB

Ringo,Rush-CB

Tice,Johnson-S

Ringo,Rush-CB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I can't remember who I wanted last year but I gave the new GM the benefit of the doubt. No one worked out.

1) I am not pleased that we took a WR in the first, especially with so much talent on the board.

2) I wanted us to trade up for Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd. (He is injury-prone too but we would not need him to play this year.)

3) I liked CBs Banks and Branch who we had a chance to get. I liked Gonzalez better but we had no chance at him.

I liked Downs a lot but OutWest63 told me he would not be a first round pick. I thought we may have had a chance at him.

agreed, the new GM at least seems to have good sense of evaluation when it comes to avoiding QBs like Cousins, Levis. 

He also seems to make bold aggressive trades for players or in taking sensible decisions in acquiring free agents. 

His drafting skill isn't impressive yet, let's see how it turns out this year. I am not really expecting much this year other than wanting to see the secondary group perform well. If they move on from Cousins really, and look to draft a QB next year, I will start having expectations for an overall good roster, which should be already in their mind in every draft selection now in other positions. 

Going by their WR and CB selections, I see they are valuing highly intelligent players who are versatile in route running, understanding coverages and having good ball skills, regardless of size constraints. We'll need to see how it translates on the field. As far as the injury history, I'm okay if there's no critical concerns medically for the future, short or long term. If a player turns out to be always injury prone, I think it's just unfortunate. 

I see this draft more favorably than last year, so far.. let's see how it goes tomorrow. I feel better about the CB group now, but injury concern is worrying and we still don't know how their play will be on the field. I like Murphy, and it's good we got younger at CB with two guys starting their second contracts and two more guys basically starting their rookie season. 

Living in ACC land. Growing up a Duke fan, son a NC State grad, naturally despising the Tarheels, we just got one the best players in this draft with Downs. He is a playmaker. When Carolina needed him, he made it happen. First down machine. He truly can do it all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I hope today gets better for the Vikings! 

The only well-known NFL player here in Denmark was Morten Andersen who was a kicker for Vikings at one point. When I started to watch NFL games here, one of the Danish tv hosts was a huge Vikings fan. Normally you are obviously not supposed to show that as a tv host, but these guys running the tv show back then was just enthusiastic NFL-nerdy guys so nobody cared. It was wonderful.

Unfortunately, most people here in Denmark are Patriot fans. I suppose they just wanted to root for the winner, but it still annoys me! haha:facepalm:

• Like 1

For people wondering about why Dawand Jones is falling. This is info from Bryan Broaddus... seems like he might be medically flagged by a lot of teams - "2 concussions, multiple stingers since 2020, left wrist fracture, left knee MCL, right ankle issues, toe sprain... the stinger thing seems to be the biggest issue"... + issues with his weight :( 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:02 PM, Solid84 said:

Think it was Brown, Ballard and Steichen wanting Richardson. My guess is Irsay wanted Levis and rumour was Dodds wanted  Stroud.

Irsay got the 12th man memo from Steichen and just watching the incredible Philadelphia O. He let it slip at Steichen's introduction.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don't know how that would be possible with Leonard recently saying he still isn't running all out yet. Our picks make great sense. 

I just thought it if they were really worried they would have taken a LB relatively early. Especially because this draft is not very deep with LBs. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I hope today gets better for the Vikings! 

The only well-known NFL player here in Denmark was Morten Andersen who was a kicker for Vikings at one point. When I started to watch NFL games here, one of the Danish tv hosts was a huge Vikings fan. Normally you are obviously not supposed to show that as a tv host, but these guys running the tv show back then was just enthusiastic NFL-nerdy guys so nobody cared. It was wonderful.

Unfortunately, most people here in Denmark are Patriot fans. I suppose they just wanted to root for the winner, but it still annoys me! haha:facepalm:

Everyone roots for the winners. You will see more Chiefs fans soon.

I know Darren Clarke (not personally of course but I used to watch golf when he was playing). :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

For people wondering about why Dawand Jones is falling. This is info from Bryan Broaddus... seems like he might be medically flagged by a lot of teams - "2 concussions, multiple stingers since 2020, left wrist fracture, left knee MCL, right ankle issues, toe sprain... the stinger thing seems to be the biggest issue"... + issues with his weight :( 

Wow, that is a lot of red flags right there. :gloomy: