Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII enjoying the spotlight

Good for him for enjoying the spotlight. Having a spotlight on you isn't for everyone. Some enjoy it, some are uncomfortable by it and some don't care.

I think this is exactly why some fans were leery about RG3. Give me the quiet guy that don't search out the spotlight.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the spotlight. I'm pretty sure Manning enjoyed the spotlight when he did his commercials and SNL. You don't always get a chance to enjoy something like it.

Good for him for enjoying the spotlight. Having a spotlight on you isn't for everyone. Some enjoy it, some are uncomfortable by it and some don't care.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the spotlight. I'm pretty sure Manning enjoyed the spotlight when he did his commercials and SNL. You don't always get a chance to enjoy something like it.

I was wondering just how long it would take for somebody to tell me those exact same words you used(nothing wrong with enjoying the spotlight), in fact, I even typed them in my original post but decided to delete it. I have said it before, but RG3 exhibits the personality traits of being a prima donna. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but either way I have much more belief in Luck than RG3.

This is all just my opinion(although I think many agree) and im not asking anybody else to believe it's true. We'll all find out soon enough after RG3 starts getting those huge paychecks and a little bit of success.

BTW, I don't think Manning ever searched out the spotlight. The spotlight found him after he proved himself on the field. No, he didn't always run away from it, but I have a feeling he could have done much more if he would have chosen to do so.

I was wondering just how long it would take for somebody to tell me those exact same words you used(nothing wrong with enjoying the spotlight), in fact, I even typed them in my original post but decided to delete it. I have said it before, but RG3 exhibits the personality traits of being a prima donna. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but either way I have much more belief in Luck than RG3.

This is all just my opinion(although I think many agree) and im not asking anybody else to believe it's true. We'll all find out soon enough after RG3 starts getting those huge paychecks and a little bit of success.

BTW, I don't think Manning ever searched out the spotlight. The spotlight found him after he proved himself on the field. No, he didn't always run away from it, but I have a feeling he could have done much more if he would have chosen to do so.

I never said he was searching out for the spotlight. That's something you brought up on your own there. Having the spotlight on you is part of being a professional athlete that's very popular. You can try and run away from it, but you can't. It's always there, just ask Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls. It's what happens when you're famous. If you think Griffin is a primma donna check the definition of the word one more time and then try to attach that word to him compared to other players in the league or coming into the league.

I never said he was searching out for the spotlight. That's something you brought up on your own there. Having the spotlight on you is part of being a professional athlete that's very popular. You can try and run away from it, but you can't. It's always there, just ask Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls. It's what happens when you're famous. If you think Griffin is a primma donna check the definition of the word one more time and then try to attach that word to him compared to other players in the league or coming into the league.

I know what prima donna means and I didn't say RG3 was. I meant that he has the traits to become one. Don't mean he will, just that it will not surprise me at all if he does become one. I hope the kid becomes a success and is more focused on his career than all the other things that many pro athletes get into trouble over, but time will tell. Im not trying to say he's a bad kid, but if he goes in the wrong direction it won't be surprising to me. Again, as I stated earlier, this is my opinion of him. Im not asking you or anybody else to believe it. Just something about the guy that rubs me the wrong way. I hope im wrong.

Rubs me the same way,and I hope I'm wrong.Since this has been brought up IMO I think RG3 character could kill his career hes starting out with a chip on his shoulder.Heisman winner but not taken 1st.Gruden camp video i believe he says he wants to be 1st.Hope hes big enough to get over it and become the best player he can be and not try to be someone else.

Really?Too much arrogance and too much baggage can lead to frustration and disappointment.Character issues are not just negative law problems but emotional.Some people crack under pressure IMO RG3 will run 1 time too many this season and end up on injured reserve.I'm saying this out of his character his competitiveness can also cause problems.Hes never ran his own OFF hes never called his own plays.Not saying hes not smart enough or talented enough just saying hes going to be in a foreign world.Hes going to be hit harder more often and going to end season on injured reserve IMO.His chip already is hes the Heisman winner but not 1st pick he may try tooo hard to beat out Luck and have crazy number of interceptions.Listen too him at Grudens camp watch his face it does bother him not too be 1st.

Interesting article from the Washington Post. It's kind of funny to see some Redskin forum fans sweating this a little. The more I read and hear...I'm thrilled we're getting Luck.

http://www.washingto...dsDcT_blog.html

I brought this topic up in another thread... the "money changes things" aspect of a very young man getting a TON of it.

It simply cannot be ignored. The mental is what decides most players fate. It is a huge factor in the inevitable success of any Pro Athlete. One digs, claws, fights to get where they want to be and then... they are there. And they "relax".... How many times do we see it every year. Every sport.

Early reports kind of scare me a bit about RG3. He is talking the talk, but talk is cheap... actions speak louder than words 24/7.

I think it's funny how far people will try to go to discredit RG3. My understanding is both the colts and redskins will both get an amazing football player and person.

Nobody is trying to discredit him just critiquing. It's what message boards are for, right?

RG3 is all hugs and kiss's now... and he seems to love attention. No biggie, until he is winless and has more Int's than TD's.

Reality is very close to setting in for BOTH lads.

I simply get the impression that Luck is all about "football" and RG3 is all about "Publicity"... Could very well be wrong but a guy who was a "projected" WR last season in the NFL and is all of a sudden the next Montana..... eeeeeeee I smell the ESPN hype machine at work.

JMO

I can't say it enough and I don't care if it makes me look like a fan girl. I have yet to see Luck do a single thing in the NFL but I LOVE his personality. He seems so chill.

I like the guy also. He is so similar to Manning in so many ways it is creepy. I just don't see how he can miss as long as the team does the right thing. I don't want to have to see another QB "CARRY" a team so much but.....

Out of need comes necessity.

I am ready to get the show on the road and play some football. This Pre season will be fun to watch this year.

I like the guy also. He is so similar to Manning in so many ways it is creepy. I just don't see how he can miss as long as the team does the right thing. I don't want to have to see another QB "CARRY" a team so much but.....

Out of need comes necessity.

I am ready to get the show on the road and play some football. This Pre season will be fun to watch this year.

Agree

I would like to disagree i would lean towards the swagger or moxie. I mean were talking about a kid who had to take a year off to rehab from an ACL and had the work ethic to double his completion percentage over one season! So he is doing commercials and tweeting heck i would do the same thing! He is just enjoying his moment but when it comes to football he will play football! all this prima donna talk is nonsense....

This debate is really interesting to me. Can you be a firey competitor without being a raging *? And this is more a question for Andrew than RG3.

RG3 seems like a fun loving kid who is enjoying the spotlight. Nothing wrong that. He seems to have everything going for him, and probably would do really well for the Skins. I watched E:60 last night and in it, RG3 said "they are getting a franchise quarterback" before realizing it was too arrogant and rephrased it quickly. It made me laugh. He is confident, borderline arrogant already. Does it work for him as a player? Probably. I don't fault him for that though. He's been talked up a lot by the media. Most people will react to it this way. And so far, I haven't seen anything that I don't like from RG3 just yet.

Andrew on the other hand, shies away from the media. He doesn't watch much TV, he tries to avoid listening to what we are all saying about him. He downplays all of his accomplishments but praises his teammantes lavishingly. I am amazed how a 22-year old kid can have this much balance and wisdom. But is it a hindrance as an athlete? So far he seems to do just fine. And you guys are saying Peyton did it, so maybe it's not as hard as I think. It's just so easy to root for a guy like that. And maybe teammates responds better to him because he is this way.

A Bay Area (?) NBA reporter RIc Bucher said that Derrick Rose is unique among superstar athlete because he is balanced. He said guys like Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are psychotic on and off the court.

I would like to disagree i would lean towards the swagger or moxie. I mean were talking about a kid who had to take a year off to rehab from an ACL and had the work ethic to double his completion percentage over one season! So he is doing commercials and tweeting heck i would do the same thing! He is just enjoying his moment but when it comes to football he will play football! all this prima donna talk is nonsense....

First of all, nobody has said he IS a prima donna, I said it won't surprise me if he becomes one once he gets his money and a little success. It's not a huge stretch with the way he is acting. He's not even going to be the no.1 pick but he's acting like he's the best QB prospect to ever grace the football world. Like I said, I hope im wrong about him and he comes into the league and just does what he's going to be paid to do and let his on field performance do the talking for him.

It is all about upbringing, IMO. RG3's parents were both U.S Army Sergeants. So, if there is one thing he will be able to turn the switch on when it comes to work is being disciplined. He will be disciplined when it comes to his football and that, in the end, will see him through all his distractions and will allow him to focus.

Nobody is trying to discredit him just critiquing. It's what message boards are for, right?

RG3 is all hugs and kiss's now... and he seems to love attention. No biggie, until he is winless and has more Int's than TD's.

Reality is very close to setting in for BOTH lads.

I simply get the impression that Luck is all about "football" and RG3 is all about "Publicity"... Could very well be wrong but a guy who was a "projected" WR last season in the NFL and is all of a sudden the next Montana..... eeeeeeee I smell the ESPN hype machine at work.

JMO

This whole thread was started to just take another shot at RG3 and a horrible one at that. This quote "The more I read and hear...I'm thrilled we're getting Luck". The only thing this article stated was that he went to a girls baylor basketball game to support his school and made in ad for adidas because they signed him. If this is the case then Peyton Manning is the biggest Diva in NFL history.

Since the linked article is about Andrew Luck, I wonder why the OP titled the thread, "RGIII enjoying the spotlight." I'm guessing it is as Noah Larson stated.

I like Luck as much as anyone else. I, however, feel he is good enough to stand on his own merits. I don't try to knock down the competition to make Luck seem better or feel better about myself.

Ill never understand where you peple get this RG3 character thing.

It's like many things on this forum... they make it up and then jump on every little thing to try and prove it.

Fan1: Did you see that? RGIII is strutting his stuff at a basketball game he's just trying to showboat and get his face on the TV.

Fan2: Umm, it's a Baylor girls basketball game, he's gone to as many as he could the entire time he wen to Baylor.

Fan1: He's just a show-off.

Fan1: Did you see that, RGIII is doing a commericals, what a prima donna.

Fan2: Would you turn down that kind of money?

Fan1: Of course I would, I'd be focused on the draft and improving my game. I don't want the spotlight on me.

Fan2: Hey look, you're on the big stadium screen

Fan1: Woohoo, look at me {points to his name on the back of his store bought jersey}, woo, I'm number 1, I'm number one.