Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Senior Bowl: News, Measurements, Practices, Game... Discussion thread

Well it's this time of the year... the NFL Draft season is upon us and one of the biggest events is starting this week - the Senior Bowl. 

Here's the website for the Senior bowl with the rosters for both teams: 

https://www.seniorbowl.com/the-game/rosters/

It seems one of Colts' WR coaches will be position coach for the American team:

The QBs who will be at the Senior Bowl are :

Jaren Hall, BYU

Jake Haener, Fresno State

Malik Cunningham, Louisville

Clayton Tune, Houston

Tyson Bagent, Shepherd

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee - he's injured and recovering from torn ACL, so he'd be there just to meet with teams ... 

Max Duggan, TCU

Who are you most excited to watch? Out of the QBs? And out of every other position? 

• stitches changed the title to 2023 Senior Bowl: News, Measurements, Practices, Game... Discussion thread
47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it just me, it have measurements NOT been done yet?!?    I thought they were typically done Monday of the week,  but they’re not up on the website yet.  

Seems strange to me…..

Seems like they are not getting publicity but here are some measurements:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft/2023-senior-bowl-weigh-in-measurement-results-for-nfl-prospects/

OK, had the time to check the measurements: 

QB;

Hendon Hooker - 6'3 5/8" good height... 208lbs a bit on the slim side but it's possible that's because he's injured and cannot work out. 

Jaren Hall is short 6' 1/8" but has good weight for his height 211lbs

Max Duggan at 6'1" 204... 

All QB's hand sizes are above 9"

WRs:

Tank Dell - getting some hype with his shiftiness and speed but... look at that weight 5'8 3/8" 163lbs

Ronnie Bell under 6'

Trey Palmer - 6'0"

Rashee Rice - he was listed as a 6'3" receiver... measured under 6'1

TEs:

Luke Musgrave - very nice size 6'5 4/8" 255lbs

Josh Whyle - again, good size 6'6" 4.8" 260lbs

OL

Matthew Bergeron - good size... ok arms 33 5/8" ... 

McClendon Curtis - big tackle prospect... long arms 35"

Blake Freeland - great size over 6'7 312lbs, 34" arms ... reportedly had some troubles in day 1 of practices but checks size/length boxes

Richard Gouraige - checks size/length boxes for LT 34" arms

Ryan Hayes - tall but arms under 33"

Dawand Jones - huge human being - 6'8" 375lbs, 36 5/8" arms 89.5" wingspan

Cody Mauch - shorter than ideal arms 32 1/8" for LT

Warren McClendon - Georgia's RT.. measured more like a mobile LT6'4" 292lbs ... hits the arm length box too - 34"

John Schmitz - measured about 15 pounds slimmer than listed in Minnesota - 306lbs ... looks like good weight for a center. 

O'Cyrus Torrence - very nice measurements, slimmer than listed - 6'5" 337lbs... might be the highest taken interior lineman 

Darnell Wright - 6'5 342 with over 34" arms... wonder how the league sees him? LT or RT? He's kind of huge... 

DL:

Adetomiwa Adebawore - stocky but long arms - 6'1 5/8" 284lbs, 34" arms

Isaiah Foskey, kind of prototypical Ballard EDGE 6'5" 262lbs almost 34" arms

Keion White - 6'5" 280, long arms 33 5/8" good measurements for him... 

LB(listing some with long-arms, Ballard special):

Andre Carter II

Nick Hampton

Eku Leota

Will McDonald IV - listed LB here... he's more of an EDGE.. real long arms at 35" 6'3 1/2" 241lbs... he's starting to gain some weight too. Was listed 235 in Iowa state

CBs(again, listing some CBs with long arms, Ballard special): 

Anthony Johnson Jr

Darrell Lutter Jr

Darius Rush - reports he had great first day too... tall, long corner

Keidron Smith

Tyrique Stevenson

Rejzohn Wright

4 hours ago, stitches said:

CBs(again, listing some CBs with long arms, Ballard special): 

Anthony Johnson Jr

Darrell Lutter Jr

Darius Rush - reports he had great first day too... tall, long corner

Keidron Smith

Tyrique Stevenson

Rejzohn Wright

Darius Rush is who I like for the Colts

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/darius-rush

Lots of reps in Cover 1 and Cover 3, it indicates. He is an outside corner, clearly, not made for the slot.

11 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Where is Rush projected

PFF has him as day 3 prospect. TDN doesn't have him in their top 100 so probably day 3 too... but keep in mind this is very early. He can easily jump to round 2-3 with good pre-draft process. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

PFF has him as day 3 prospect. TDN doesn't have him in their top 100 so probably day 3 too... but keep in mind this is very early. He can easily jump to round 2-3 with good pre-draft process. 

He has Tariq Woolen like size but not the speed. So Day 3 is appropriate.

I have no skin in the game, but root for the underdog that Duggan was this year

From an update

Duggan started slowly in individual work and had his pass jumped by Alabama's DeMarcco Hellams for an interception in 7-on-7 work.

But in full-team reps, Duggan started to shine. He completed all five of his passes in the session, twice sidestepping the rush to find Ole Miss WR Jonathan Mingo, who also had a good day.

It was a nice start to the week for Duggan, an unorthodox passer who nonetheless has helped his stock noticeably over the past six months. Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said Duggan has worked himself into the upper portion of Day 3 of the draft.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

From what I can gather on Twitter the two standouts have been Isaiah Foskey, Edge from Notre Dame and Dawand Jones, the massive OT from Ohio State.

Also very high on Dawand Jones over even over Darnell Wright of Tennessee.

Jones' from what I have researched has excellent measurables wingspan, arms, hands, weight, and height.

Could be a potential RT/RG movement pick for the Colts if we do not address during FA.

I taped it yesterday, just watched it. They don’t show much of the players/ drills. They showed the wr/db but not the qb throwing to them and a lot of time showing the announcers talking, who cares about seeing them. Show the drills and let them just talk. I probably won’t watch any more.

this was the nfl network, not espn.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Anybody watching the practice on ESPN

They mentioned CJ Stroud and that he has a high floor and with the right situation could instantly be a top 15-18 QB 

if you watch the draft, almost every player could be a top or good player. The announcers hype everything, that’s why they are anouncers.

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

D Jones may last till our pick in the second round

That might solve some of the OL problems with our RT moving inside

He could also be a LT if Rain Man doesnt work out

Thats sound like a Ballard pick

Hey, Mike….

Im confused…,  you write about moving our right tackle inside like the team has already announced that it is happening.   I’m confident when I say it’s not.  I don’t think Smith is going anywhere.  It’s easier to get a new OL coach to help raise the level of play.  

If you believe at all in the PFF grades Smith had a good solid year grading around 75 in both passing and running.    

And Jones is said to weigh 375 pounds.   That doesn’t sound like a Ballard pick to me.   

As for Rain-man, Ballard has already announced he thinks the kid is the LT of the future.  

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, Mike….

Im confused…,  you write about moving our right tackle inside like the team has already announced that it is happening.   I’m confident when I say it’s not.  I don’t think Smith is going anywhere.  It’s easier to get a new OL coach to help raise the level of play.  

If you believe at all in the PFF grades Smith had a good solid year grading around 75 in both passing and running.    

And Jones is said to weigh 375 pounds.   That doesn’t sound like a Ballard pick to me.   

As for Rain-man, Ballard has already announced he thinks the kid is the LT of the future.  

Yep, for the life of me I cannot figure out why people want Smith moved inside. He's been consistently one of the best RTs in the league for the last 5 years. When you draft a RT this is what you are hoping he will be. Here are his PFF grades for his career(lsat 5 years): 2018 - 73.3, 2019 - 79.8, 2020 - 80.1, 2021 - 80.6, 2022 - 75.5. Moving a great RT inside accomplishes nothing. It might even make things worse because you are introducing 2 new unknowns. 

This kind of reminds me of when people wanted to replace AC because our OL was not doing well, but AC was the only good piece in that OL and the problem was not him but everyone else. This last year Braden was the last problem of that OL. Both RG and Kelly were bad... and Nelson played well below his usual level too and LT was instable for the first half of the season until Raimman got reintroduced in the lineup. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, Mike….

Im looking at the from two ways......  and of COURSE.....  I am just an old dude clacking away at the KB....  I watch from afar

(My opinions match that)

Smith played well the past 5-6 games , I thought he played poorly before that 

The Colts tried him inside at Guard, but it didnt work because Pryor stunk it up, not because Smith played poorly at RG

The Colts were at least thinking of Smith at RG 

Our big hole is RG, not Right Tackle, but the switch solves the problem

(And the kid is from Ohio State, so of course he is good  :) )

I thought Raiman played well and got better each game

But.....

Ballard also said that Pryor was the starting LT before the season and gave him praises

PFF rated Pryor the highest of the Colts player the year before

17 hours ago, stitches said:

This reminds me of Kadarius Toney's juke abilities east west. However, on the field, typically zone coverage forces the WR to make some hard choices, go east west or take the certain yards north south. Toney with the Chiefs, plays like he is in a phone booth, still unrefined and leaves yards on the field, trying to find if there is more to be gained by going east west. That is where WR coaching comes in.

Some winners from the week of practice from Dane Brugler:

https://theathletic.com/4152684/2023/02/03/senior-bowl-winners-nfl-draft-jake-haener-jayden-reed/

Offense

Quarterback: Jake Haener, Fresno State (6-foot-0, 208 pounds)

Running Back: Tyjae Spears, Tulane (5-10, 204)

Wide Receiver: Jayden Reed, Michigan State (5-11, 191)

WR Michael Wilson, Stanford (6-2, 216)

WR Nathaniel Dell, Houston (5-8, 163) 

Tight End: Payne Durham, Purdue (6-5, 258)

TE Luke Musgrave 6'5 255

Offensive Tackle: Darnell Wright, Tennessee (6-5, 342)

OT Dawand Jones, Ohio State (6'8 375)

Offensive Guard: O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida (6-5, 337)

OG Steve Avila, TCU

OG McClendon Curtis, Chattanooga

Center: John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota (6-3, 306)

Defense

Edge Rusher: Will McDonald IV, Iowa State (6-4, 241)

Defensive Tackle: Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin (6-4, 312)

DT Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern 

DT Karl Brooks, Bowling Green

DT Cameron Young, Mississippi State

Linebacker: Daiyan Henley, Washington State (6-1, 230)

LB Ivan Pace Jr., Cincinnati

LB DeMarvion Overshown, Texas

Cornerback: Darius Rush, South Carolina

CB Riley Moss, Iowa 

CB Kyu Blu Kelly, Stanford

CB Tyrique Stevenson, Miami 

CB Julius Brents, Kansas State  

CB Darrell Luter Jr., South Alabama

Safety: Sydney Brown, Illinois (5-10, 213)

S Jammie Robinson, Florida State 

S Christopher Smith, Georgia

Also some clocked speeds at the SB:

Here's Rick Spielman's list of top 10 winners:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft/money-makers-2023-senior-bowls-biggest-practice-winners/

Keeanu Benton, DL, Wisconsin

Sydney Brown, S, Illinois

Payne Durham, TE, Purdue

Kyu Blu Kelly, CB, Stanford

Darius Rush, CB, South Carolina

John Michael Schmitz, OL, Minnesota

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

Tyler Steen, OL, Alabama

O’Cyrus Torrence, OL, Florida

Darnell Wright, OL, Tennessee

Honorable mentions:

WR Nathaniel “Tank” Dell