Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know people make fun of me because it seems I am on SM all the time. But when your disabled and stuck at home and your disability makes it hard to do things I enjoy looking for colts news. I watch a lot of stuff on my phone so always have my phone with me. 

Keep bringing it.  Many of us appreciate it.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Belichick had that rock of a QB and offense with Tom Brady at the helm to offload Richard Seymour, Chandler Jones etc. for first rounders before he had to pay them a lot. That is not the case with us where we can rely on the offensive phase to win us games. Same with Chiefs - they can rely on Mahomes and Andy Reid to win 11-12 games every year that Hill became expendable.

Belichick had the luxury of not having to pay Brady the market value for years. Made a huge difference on his ability to work the cap. 

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I started following a lot of bears media and writers lol. Hopefully we will get some good scoops.

Yeah I been watching some of the Bears media and I’m appalled at what they think moving up 3 spots are worth. Some of them expect they can absolutely fleece the Colts. 

37 minutes ago, Nickster said:

My honest guess is 5'10.5" and 182 lbs, unless he drinks a buncha water weight lol.  

But I would imagine they test your urine pH before weigh ins or some other more elaborate test to see that you are not drinking your way to a heavier number for small guys or cutting water weight in the sauna for fat guys.  We did that in wrestling to set a baseline for weight cutting.

We should take guesses on the dude's height and weight at the combine.   That would be a pretty fun game for a lot of players. 

Oh yes, the wrestling days l do recall. I was always struggling between wrestling weight and football weight.  :strong:

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah I been watching some of the Bears media and I’m appalled at what they think moving up 3 spots are worth. Some of them expect they can absolutely fleece the Colts. 

It's more than just Bears media I have seen some mocks with Colts giving up 6 picks 

Mike Renner of PFF talked at length about how QBs like Stroud have to be completely retrained once they get to the NFL.  At Ohio State, you're regularly throwing receivers 5 yards from any defender.  You're throwing to the receiver.  At the NFL level, you're throwing to space, the space between defenders.

32 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

He can make the throws and is very accurate. I just hope he can diagnose a defense and go through progressions quickly. I think Stroud would be very good in Indy. 

The OSU guy that was on the colts podcast I listened too said he is very good at diagnosing a defense presnap. He said they challenged him in practice a lot and he always passed the test.  When your good at presnap reads usually you know exactly where to go. Do it may look like a play where he doesn’t  have to go through progressions. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The OSU guy that was on the colts podcast I listened too said he is very good at diagnosing a defense presnap. He said they challenged him in practice a lot and he always passed the test.  When your good at presnap reads usually you know exactly where to go. Do it may look like a play where he forcing have to go through progressions. 

NFL is a little different but I like that. He is a smart guy so he can only get better. 

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

Mike Renner of PFF talked at length about how QBs like Stroud have to be completely retrained once they get to the NFL.  At Ohio State, you're regularly throwing receivers 5 yards from any defender.  You're throwing to the receiver.  At the NFL level, you're throwing to space, the space between defenders.

From what I have read he is very good at throwing with anticipation.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

NFL is a little different but I like that. He is a smart guy so he can only get better. 

He apparently has a photographic memory.

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

From what I have read he is very good at throwing with anticipation.

He apparently has a photographic memory.

I will say a key concern that teams will have is that he has been throwing to top talent. Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Marvin Jr, and Njigba. He will have less talent in Indy. He will have to be a lot better at throwing them open and finding small windows. This is something that is hard for a lot of QB’s though. How he learns and reacts is the importance. Photographic memory is pretty cool. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say a key concern that teams will have is that he has been throwing to top talent. Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Marvin Jr, and Njigba. He will have less talent in Indy. He will have to be a lot better at throwing them open and finding small windows. This is something that is hard for a lot of QB’s though. How he learns and reacts is the importance. Photographic memory is pretty cool. 

Did people say that with Burrow and all the talent he had at LSU. They never did.  Interviews with these players I think is going to decide if one separates over the other. I think they have all played enough to know how they have played on the field.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did people say that with Burrow and all the talent he had at LSU. They never did.  Interviews with these players I think is going to decide if one separates over the other. I think they have all played enough to know how they have played on the field.

Actually they did say that but the key difference was Burrow had one of the best years of a college quarterback in that year and won it all. He showed a lot more during that whole year than any QB in this draft. The comparison is not the same. Now if you wanted to mention other guys like an AJ McCarron who had multiple first rounders and looked good in college but yet was not good at the pro level than maybe I could see that. You have a lot of examples of guys that have talent and fail in the pros versus the other. I am not hoping for him to fail as he and Levis are the guys I want. 

23 minutes ago, #12. said:

I think this is where Stroud will struggle when he first gets into the league.  The change will be significant for him.  He has the talent but can he make the difficult throws.  The pass rushes are stronger and the defensive backs are better.  It’s a real unknown if he can do it early or if at all.  I think Levis has the big advantage over him on this point.  His receivers were not always open.  And he played in an NFL offense too.  That’s a plus as well.  I would think our scouts are paying close attention to the talent these quarterbacks have been surrounded with.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think this is where Stroud will struggle when he first gets into the league.  The change will be significant for him.  He has the talent but can he make the difficult throws.  The pass rushes are stronger and the defensive backs are better.  It’s a real unknown if he can do it early or if at all.  I think Levis has the big advantage over him on this point.  His receivers were not always open.  And he played in an NFL offense too.  That’s a plus as well.  I would think our scouts are paying close attention to the talent these quarterbacks have been surrounded with.

I could see any rookie struggling with it. But as you said some guys just never get better at it. I hope whoever we draft does obviously but I just like Stroud and Levis more than Young purely on the size and true QB metrics. I just view Young as a slightly better Tua that might be injured within his first two years and we are looking at another Luck situation. 

One of things stroud will learn that will help him with pressure is when to use his legs. A lot of QB will bail too early from the pocket.  Since he is a good pocket passer he will then learn to use his legs as a last resort. I actually think that is a good trait. Rather then teaching a guy to stay in pocket longer then who typically bails to early. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One of things stroud will learn that will help him with pressure is when to use his legs. A lot of QB will bail too early from the pocket.  Since he is a good pocket passer he will then learn to use his legs as a last resort. I actually think that is a good trait. Rather then teaching a guy to stay in pocket longer then who typically bails to early. 

This is why Stroud is also great. He wants to beat you with his arm but can clearly use his legs. 

With Levis they are going to have to ask him why he made certain throws that lead to int. That will be important in determining if he can overcome the bad decision making or not. 

I think I would rather have a guy that makes good decisions in college. It rarely gets better in the nfl if they are doing it in college.

With Levis they are going to have to ask him why he made certain throws that lead to int. That will be important in determining if he can overcome the bad decision making or not. 

I think I would rather have a guy that makes good decisions in college. It rarely gets better in the nfl if they are doing it in college.

This is not true. Good QB’s can get better when they get into a system. Allen was not great in college with accuracy but is better now. Daniel Jones just had his best year based on coaching that helped with turnovers. If you want I could think of other examples. The biggest thing about drafting a QB is fitting the system with who you draft. If they drafted Lamar Jackson and forced him into a different system like the Air Coryell that Luck had would of preached failure. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I chalk that off to a young quarterback who is trying to make the tough throws to help his team win.  Interceptions come easier when your receivers aren’t the greatest.  Maybe he will do better with the Colts where his receivers will be better than what he had at Kentucky this year.  

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is not true. Good QB’s can get better when they get into a system. Allen was not great in college with accuracy but is better now. Daniel Jones just had his best year based on coaching that helped with turnovers. If you want I could think of other examples. The biggest thing about drafting a QB is fitting the system with who you draft. If they drafted Lamar Jackson and forced him into a different system like the Air Coryell that Luck had would of preached failure. 

I just don’t like comparing the Allen improvement to others. What happened with him rarely happens. He still makes bad decisions it’s just he makes way more good ones.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I chalk that off to a young quarterback who is trying to make the tough throws to help his team win.  Interceptions come easier when your receivers aren’t the greatest.  Maybe he will do better with the Colts where his receivers will be better than what he had at Kentucky this year.  

I agree. 2021 he had an NFL caliber guy and his year and stats were better. He had a lot of talent leave and everything struggled. 

I just don’t like comparing the Allen improvement to others. What happened with him rarely happens. He still makes bad decisions it’s just he makes way more good ones.

He still has shown drastic improvement’s with accuracy. You can’t argue that. A bad throw will happen when you have over 1,000 attempts a year. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Well he is older then the other two by almost 3 years. But yeah that’s why it’s important to find out from him about those int. They will be able to tell i think by his answers whether it was just his lack of weapons or he can’t read a defense. 

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Stroud also had a much better team around him in OSU

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t even think Levis problem is accuracy. 65% is pretty good. Colts will have to determine if his decision making is a issue.

I don’t disagree with you. They will have to look at everything about each guy. This is a big draft for Ballard so I assume he does his due diligence for sure. They will want to ask a lot of questions come the interview. 

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mike Renner isn't always right, but it seems he's right more often than most.  He prefers Levis to Stroud, or at least he has up to this point. 

You could do something with either QB.  I wouldn't complain if we landed either one, but I see a the same things.  To me, when I watch Levis, it just looks like NFL football whereas Ohio State looks like they are playing a different sport at times.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Mike Renner isn't always right, but it seems he's right more often than most.  He prefers Levis to Stroud, or at least he has up to this point. 

You could do something with either QB.  I wouldn't complain if we landed either one, but I see a the same things.  To me, when I watch Levis, it just looks like NFL football whereas Ohio State looks like they are playing a different sport at times.

Some of that is KY is running pro concepts while OSU isn’t. That does give Levis a leg up. He also has former nfl coaches at KY.

F

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some of that is KY is running pro concepts while OSU isn’t. That does give Levis a leg up. He also has former nfl coaches at KY.

You seem to be trying to make a case for stroud pretty hard . 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has also had to deal with coach changes. He was able to deal with a NFL style his last year which helped but also adapting helps. 

Archived