Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Skorinski LT with 1st and Move Raimann and Smith?

Nickster

I don’t pretend to begin to have a handle on how college guys will play in the league, but I’ve seen articles that are very high on the NW kid.

If we don’t like a QB prospect at our eventual slot (likely 3 to 8), I am intrigued by the possibility of turning this oline mess around in a hurry with Skorinski at LT, Raimann out at Rt, and Smith down at RG to go along with a healthy JT.  You could then spend the 2nd on a Hooker type and get a bridge guy.

if the FO loves one of the QBs when we draft, you’d have to go that route, but they might be able to trade down and get that kid and a mid round 1st to a team in love with one of the QBs.

So my question is not necessarily should we draft Skorinski over a QB but if a desired QB wasn’t available at our slot what do you think of that Line shuffle?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF they're not going to go QB with the first pick, then LT or DE would probably be my preference, or maybe an elite WR.  However, Skorinski seems to be the only OT I've heard about.  Is there really not a guy we could get at the top of Round 2, or even with a trade back into the end of round 1 to go with the QB we take with the first pick?

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t pretend to begin to have a handle on how college guys will play in the league, but I’ve seen articles that are very high on the NW kid.

If we don’t like a QB prospect at our eventual slot (likely 3 to 8), I am intrigued by the possibility of turning this oline mess around in a hurry with Skorinski at LT, Raimann out at Rt, and Smith down at RG to go along with a healthy JT.  You could then spend the 2nd on a Hooker type and get a bridge guy.

if the FO loves one of the QBs when we draft, you’d have to go that route, but they might be able to trade down and get that kid and a mid round 1st to a team in love with one of the QBs.

So my question is not necessarily should we draft Skorinski over a QB but if a desired QB wasn’t available at our slot what do you think of that Line shuffle?

What do you do about Braden contract seeing that he's currently getting paid OT money?   I do agree he'd be an elite guard though.   Now I think Raimann is probably going to be fine at LT in year 2, but I don't think he'd have a problem transtioning to RT if need be. 

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’m of the opinion we need to draft a QB. Preferably in the 1st round, but at least in the 2nd.

If we somehow miss our #1 choice I wouldn’t mind Skoronski, a top DE or WR with our 1st rounder. If that’s the case though I pretty much expect them to draft Hookeror someone equivalent. 

Being at the top of the 2nd round, there is a good chance someone that is rated late first round like a Broderick Jones of Georgia, Anton Harrison of Oklahoma is there for our pickings, IMO, and we can definitely get a talented prospect there, IMO.

Darnell Wright, TN raised eyebrows with his performance against a Top 5 pick in Will Anderson of Alabama, he played lights out and led to a lights out game for Hendon Hooker vs Alabama. He is another one to keep an eye on.

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If the QBs are not that great, this is a great idea.  Getting another long term OT and shuffling the players could fix the oline immediately AND improve it over the long term, which is what you want to do if you're going to use a top 10 pick on an oline man.  Shuffling the players can improve multiple positions. 

However, at 6'4" and 32 inch arms, Skoronski does not have a true NFL body type for a LT and is also projected as a G in the NFL.  

I prefer Paris Johnson, LT Ohio State.  6'6" and better length (likely) and has not given up a sack all season, IIRC.  He's projected as a top 15 or top 10 pick,,,just a notch below Skoronski.  Because of body type, he might even get drafted higher than Skor.  Combine numbers and RAS scores will be important.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the QBs are not that great, this is a great idea.  Getting another long term OT and shuffling the players could fix the oline immediately AND improve it over the long term, which is what you want to do if you're going to use a top 10 pick on an oline man.  Shuffling the players can improve multiple positions. 

However, at 6'4" and 32 inch arms, Skoronski does not have a true NFL body type for a LT and is also projected as a G in the NFL.  

I prefer Paris Johnson, LT Ohio State.  6'6" and better length (likely) and has not given up a sack all season, IIRC.  He's projected as a top 15 or top 10 pick,,,just a notch below Skoronski.  Because of body type, he might even get drafted higher than Skor.  Combine numbers and RAS scores will be important.

Do you think since this guy is projected as a guard will drop to the early second. Could that be our new RG?

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you think since this guy is projected as a guard will drop to the early second. Could that be our new RG?

Skoronski will not drop that far.  And I've had my fill of mid to high first round picks used for Gs.

Only plugging the hole at RG with Skor leaves the other two spots of LT and RT still manned with guys who are not elite,,,, Raimann and Smith.  Smith could be an elite RG and Raimann could be as good of a player at RT as what ever he will be at LT.

Just now, DougDew said:

Skoronski will not drop that far.  And I've had my fill of mid to high first round picks used for Gs.

Only plugging the hole at RG with Skor leaves the other two spots of LT and RT still manned with guys who are not elite,,,, Raimann and Smith.  Smith could be an elite RG and Raimann be as good of a player at RT at LT.

Smith was pretty steady after a rough start. Rainmann has been improving. I think we are probably only going to see a new RG.  

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Smith was pretty steady after a rough start. Rainmann has been improving. I think we are probably only going to see a new RG.  

If we are going to use a pick to plug the hole at RG, then ideally, that is what our high third  round pick could be used for.  Not our high 1st round pick.

If not QB, I'd prefer EDGE.  But if neither are top 7 worthy, then pick the LT and do the oline shuffle,  JMO.

52 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ve always been in the bill polian camp of you can get good lineman in the latter rounds of the draft. My friggin head is going to explode if they pass up on one of the top QBs coming out.

I agree with you in principle, but Polian made sure the corners of the line were sound, and filled the middle in later rounds @ U.D.F.A. 's Of course he had Howard Mudd teaching them technique and a stallwart OC directing traffic....we got a bag of sand and handful of magic beans leading this squad at all offensive levels.....not even sure Polians method would work in this dysfunction junction. Ps. for me its the run up the gut for 2 on most every first down that sets me off LOL........... 

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for the info Doug, I agree with this. :thmup:

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If we are going to use a pick to plug the hole at RG, then ideally, that is what our high third  round pick could be used for.  Not our high 1st round pick.

If not QB, I'd prefer EDGE.  But if neither are top 7 worthy, then pick the LT and do the oline shuffle,  JMO.

I would never use that for a guard. That’s why I asked if he is projected as a guard maybe he falls to second.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

What do you do about Braden contract seeing that he's currently getting paid OT money?   I do agree he'd be an elite guard though.   Now I think Raimann is probably going to be fine at LT in year 2, but I don't think he'd have a problem transtioning to RT if need be. 

Well you’d have your tackles on rookie contracts.  

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I’m of the opinion we need to draft a QB. Preferably in the 1st round, but at least in the 2nd.

If we somehow miss our #1 choice I wouldn’t mind Skoronski, a top DE or WR with our 1st rounder. If that’s the case though I pretty much expect them to draft Hookeror someone equivalent. 

This is what I’m saying.  We might not be in a position to draft a top QB.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Well we don’t need any more 1st round guards lol.  I’d seen some high praise for Skorinski and he’s projected 5-8 in most mocks.

again you’d have to be pretty sure about him at LT if you went that route.

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Only plugging the hole at RG with Skor leaves the other two spots of LT and RT still manned with guys who are not elite,,,, Raimann and Smith.  Smith could be an elite RG and Raimann could be as good of a player at RT as what ever he will be at LT.

But if you fix the offensive line and the team improves with some other short-term veteran QB and a new coach, doesn't that just make it harder to get into position to draft one of the top college quarterbacks? If they don't draft a quarterback in the first round this year, how do you see the situation possibly playing out in future drafts? Do you expect the new coach to tank his first year? 

40 minutes ago, Crunked said:

I agree with you in principle, but Polian made sure the corners of the line were sound, and filled the middle in later rounds @ U.D.F.A. 's Of course he had Howard Mudd teaching them technique and a stallwart OC directing traffic....we got a bag of sand and handful of magic beans leading this squad at all offensive levels.....not even sure Polians method would work in this dysfunction junction. Ps. for me its the run up the gut for 2 on most every first down that sets me off LOL........... 

Glenn was a 1st rounder.  19th pick.  That was as the league was transitioning to a passing league too.  

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Glenn was a 1st rounder.  19th pick.  That was as the league was transitioning to a passing league too.  

So was Castanzo, a 22nd pick. However, there have been plenty of teams that have top of Round 2 or Round 2 left tackles on their roster that have done well. 

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

For the record I am not for a high pick at any oline position other than LT.

EDGE would be great too.  The defense though far from elite ImO is decent anyway.  

if you feel strongly about QB that would be the way to go if your guy is there.  

but you might be able to turn this team around fast with a revamped oline .  You might even be able to trade down, get a LT and an Edge in R1 and then draft one of the injured/project guys in R2.  

Do you like any of the QBs as a high pick?  I don’t make NCAA prognostications any more lol. Wasn’t good at it but I pretty much only watched big 10 when I was watching a lot of CFB.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So was Castanzo, a 22nd pick. However, there have been plenty of teams that have top of Round 2 or Round 2 left tackles on their roster that have done well. 

Oh I get that.  What I’m discussing though is killing 2 or 3 sorely needed birds with one stone.  Our line is baaad.

24 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well we don’t need any more 1st round guards lol.  I’d seen some high praise for Skorinski and he’s projected 5-8 in most mocks.

again you’d have to be pretty sure about him at LT if you went that route.

I agree on all counts.

I think that we'd have to be pretty sure about the QB or the EDGE we took to NOT go that route.  Both Skor and Johnson (my preference) seem like sure things in the NFL....scouts seem to get the Olinemen right-er than most other positions when it comes to them not busting.

The beauty of your strategy is that not only do you get the franchise LT for 10 years with the top 10 pick, but you also increase the talent across the oline by shuffling the players.  That's an exponential return from one pick.    Only Nelson and Smith have big contracts, and the other three are on rookie deals for several years, which frees up capital to then ignore the oline for a few years, assuming Pinter holds his own at C.   That's really leveraging that top 10 pick in terms of elevating the talent while not increasing the salary cap allotment,  That will pay dividends in the future, sort of provide a tailwind for future decisions.  Your suggestion is really good.

Its got to be a great QB or an EDGE to give that up, IMO.

11 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

But if you fix the offensive line and the team improves with some other short-term veteran QB and a new coach, doesn't that just make it harder to get into position to draft one of the top college quarterbacks? If they don't draft a quarterback in the first round this year, how do you see the situation possibly playing out in future drafts? Do you expect the new coach to tank his first year? 

Well there are guys like Hooker Richardson Dugan though that a lot of people like that likely aren’t day 1 talent.

if Hooker would have rated high on your board the ACL might allow you do get wit the 30 something pick in R1.

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Do you like any of the QBs as a high pick?  I don’t make NCAA prognostications any more lol. Wasn’t good at it but I pretty much only watched big 10 when I was watching a lot of CFB.

I haven't looked at it closely.  My guess now is that I probably won't like them enough when it comes to it.

Levis has the talent, but he reminds me of Wentz, Pat Corrall, and Bo Nix.  All three seem to want to make big plays...get excited about it...and that excitement interferes with their decision making.   

Drafting the QB is ideal but there are a couple concerns there.

First is that we're probably going to have a couple veteran QBs on the FA/trade market that appeal to an old owner who is running out of time.  And if they do that then there's a real good chance a top wideout is on the board when they pick.

Second is that they might not be drafting high enough to get one of the two QBs they're going to want.  Levis plays in a pro style WCO so should play quickly, plus he is very talented, which means he's off the board very fast and my guess is 1 overall.  Stroud is also very close, superb pocket passer who will probably go 2 overall.  Young I think is a bit of a wildcard.  How tall will he measure in at the combine.  For me I don't know that I'd spend a premium pick on him when I can get Haener later, who also has a height issue.

No QB on the board consolation prizes:

Jaxon Smith I think is a first year impact wideout.  He would be one of my priorities if the QBs are off the board.  Others have more upside but this guy is plug and play impact.

Tyree Wilson will rise dramatically as the draft draws near.  He's got the kind of size and raw skill you cannot teach so he's another nice consolation as a top edge threat.

Michael Mayer is one of those TEs that plunder secondaries and terrorize safeties and LBs alike.  One of those guys you ask "how is he that open" over and over during games.  It's a skill and he has it.  Add him to this offense and you'd have something.

Note that everyone is talking up Peter Skoronski but he looks small to me.  I wouldn't take a small OT where we're going to be drafting.  Not buying him personally.  He will be overdrafted.

14 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Drafting the QB is ideal but there are a couple concerns there.

First is that we're probably going to have a couple veteran QBs on the FA/trade market that appeal to an old owner who is running out of time.  And if they do that then there's a real good chance a top wideout is on the board when they pick.

Second is that they might not be drafting high enough to get one of the two QBs they're going to want.  Levis plays in a pro style WCO so should play quickly, plus he is very talented, which means he's off the board very fast and my guess is 1 overall.  Stroud is also very close, superb pocket passer who will probably go 2 overall.  Young I think is a bit of a wildcard.  How tall will he measure in at the combine.  For me I don't know that I'd spend a premium pick on him when I can get Haener later, who also has a height issue.

No QB on the board consolation prizes:

Jaxon Smith I think is a first year impact wideout.  He would be one of my priorities if the QBs are off the board.  Others have more upside but this guy is plug and play impact.

Tyree Wilson will rise dramatically as the draft draws near.  He's got the kind of size and raw skill you cannot teach so he's another nice consolation as a top edge threat.

Michael Mayer is one of those TEs that plunder secondaries and terrorize safeties and LBs alike.  One of those guys you ask "how is he that open" over and over during games.  It's a skill and he has it.  Add him to this offense and you'd have something.

Note that everyone is talking up Peter Skoronski but he looks small to me.  I wouldn't take a small OT where we're going to be drafting.  Not buying him personally.  He will be overdrafted.

What you said here about Irsay scares me. I am so done with retreads. You are also right several teams have Levis as their first QB. So it wouldn’t be shocking if Levis is taken by Houston. Maybe Chicago still gets that first pick but that is slim. But if colts lose to Texans suddenly Chicago does have that first pick because of the tie. That might be a good thing for colts because a trade up a couple spots and pick which ever one they want. So then does Ballard like young. I heard a lot of scouts will just take him off their boards because of size. Stroud is bad under pressure and is more of a pocket passer.   I think players are going to buy in more with a rookie QB then another retread. Because they know they are not going to be benched after a year or be gone.

This all just depends on who colts like at QB. Do they only like one or all 3. 

14 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im not sold on Raimann being any better at RT than Smith is now. 

I’m not sure he’d be better but I feel strongly he’s be a better RT than LT.  LT is way more important.  I really think BR looks like a RT with his run blocking and I’d think Smith would be a great RG.    What I’m discussing is instantly fixing the entire line.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I’m not sure he’d be better but I feel strongly he’s be a better RT than LT.  LT is way more important.  I really think BR looks like a RT with his run blocking and I’d think Smith would be a great RG.    What I’m discussing is instantly fixing the entire line.  

just basing it off of the blind side fact?

becasue he might actually regress at first with the move technically speaking, 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What you said here about Irsay scares me. I am so done with retreads. You are also right several teams have Levis as their first QB. So it wouldn’t be shocking if Levis is taken by Houston. Maybe Chicago still gets that first pick but that is slim. But if colts lose to Texans suddenly Chicago does have that first pick because of the tie. That might be a good thing for colts because a trade up a couple spots and pick which ever one they want. So then does Ballard like young. I heard a lot of scouts will just take him off their boards because of size. Stroud is bad under pressure and is more of a pocket passer.   I think players are going to buy in more with a rookie QB then another retread. Because they know they are not going to be benched after a year or be gone.

But we screw around and win a game or heaven forbid 2, those 3 will be gone.  Even if we pick 5th like we sit now CHI and AZ could possibly trade down and the top 3 guys would be gone then too.

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

just basing it off of the blind side fact?

becasue he might actually regress at first with the move technically speaking, 

RTs are more of the Run blocking tackles.  It’s a different position .  He might regress a little at first but he won’t be facing the best EDGe players regular either so that would make up for that in large part.  He’s looked really good.  I think he could be a good LT someday but I don’t see him being great.  But I think he would possibly be great at RT.

if a guy is good enough in pass pro at LT, he shouldn’t use usually be good at pass pro at RT.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

RTs are more of the Run blocking tackles.  It’s a different position .  He might regress a little at first but he won’t be facing the best EDGe players regular either so that would make up for that in large part.  He’s looked really good.  I think he could be a good LT someday but I don’t see him being great.  But I think he would possibly be great at RT.

if a guy is good enough in pass pro at LT, he shouldn’t use usually be good at pass pro at RT.

totally disagree. both tackles equally need to pass block.  also not sure why you're saying he won't face as much talent at RT.... a lot of the premier rushers play on that side.... rushers are also very versatile and tend to go back and forth on both sides, to target weak links.  

Raimann is not our answer at RT. 

31 minutes ago, Nickster said:

But we screw around and win a game or heaven forbid 2, those 3 will be gone.  Even if we pick 5th like we sit now CHI and AZ could possibly trade down and the top 3 guys would be gone then too.

If top three are gone id trade back to pick up extra pick and draft oline or wr in first.then pick up hooker or duggan in the second

56 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im not sold on Raimann being any better at RT than Smith is now. 

What happens at RT is not why you do this move.  Its what you gain at LT and RG that improves the oline.   

We get an elite LT because of a Top 7 pick compared to Raimann's pick 77 slot...yes we can expect there to be a big difference in talent with a 70 slot pick up.   And then Smith could be an elite RG.  I would expect our top 7 LT to be Tarik Glenn AC type of problem fix for 10 years.

We would be elite at LT. LG, and RG and very good at RT.  Pinter could take C, or even sign a vet or draft one.

Now you take a QB with a high 2nd rounder, or move up to the low first round for one....we are only 6 slots away from round 1.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What happens at RT is not why you do this move.  Its what you gain at LT and RG that improves the oline.   

We get an elite LT because of a Top 7 pick compared to Raimann's pick 77 slot...yes we can expect there to be a big difference in talent with a 70 slot pick up.   And then Smith could be an elite RG.  I would expect our top 7 LT to be Tarik Glenn AC type of problem fix for 10 years.

We would be elite at LT. LG, and RG and very good at RT.  Pinter could take C, or even sign a vet or draft one.

Now you take a QB with a high 2nd rounder, or move up to the low first round for one....we are only 6 slots away from round 1.

right, then you might as well consider Raimann a back up swing tackle

draft the LT

move smith to RG

--> then you still need another RT

(not sure why you guys think Raimann can play RT)

36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t think we have to worry about winning. At least not this weekend. Chicago is only going to trade down a couple spots so they can still get one of those defensive guys. Do it is very important to get to 4 or stay at 5.  AZ has to be watched if they end up at 4. That is a clear trade down team.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/indianapolis-colts-blindside-bernhard-raimann

Seems to be heading the right way. Also Fries should be even better at guard next year as well so theres that. But i certainly would prefer Smith at guard if we could.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/indianapolis-colts-blindside-bernhard-raimann

Seems to be heading the right way. Also Fries should be even better at guard next year as well so theres that. But i certainly would prefer Smith at guard if we could.

Well the Smith to G is part of the reason I’m interested in it.

16 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

right, then you might as well consider Raimann a back up swing tackle

draft the LT

move smith to RG

--> then you still need another RT

(not sure why you guys think Raimann can play RT)

Why?  Smith plays RT, and he's not considered a swing OT...and he played a lot of G in college and was drafted to be a G initially.

In the NFL, there is plenty of history to show that linemen can go thought positions changes from side to side.   And he's young without a lot of OT experience from college.  Its not like he's gotten routine and muscle memory burned into him for 5 years.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I haven't looked at it closely.  My guess now is that I probably won't like them enough when it comes to it.

Levis has the talent, but he reminds me of Wentz, Pat Corrall, and Bo Nix.  All three seem to want to make big plays...get excited about it...and that excitement interferes with their decision making.   

ballard will do something no one expects imo

Archived