Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 QB Side By Side Analysis

I know, there's another thread talking about the 2023 QB's.  But this is a side-by-side analysis of all the top QB's, their stats, and opinions about them from various sources.  I'm planning on attending the Combine, and watching these QB's in person.  But this is what I've been able to compile so far.

Bryce Young, Alabama -- Junior, Age 21, 6'0" 194#, 33 games played, record 29-4, 2021 Heisman winner

Passing 609/928 65.6% 8,035 yards, 8.7 Y/A, 75 TD's 12 INT's 162.4 Rating, Rushing 136 att for 172 yards 7 TD's

College system - Spread / RPO; Pretty good but not great arm, great accuracy, great pocket presence, great calmness, polished technique; the game seems to move in slow motion for him.  Pretty good at processing.  Inconsistent vs blitz pressure.  Big concern about size.  He is so small and light that he's going to take a beating.

Ceiling -- Tua Tagovailoa  Floor -- Seneca Wallace

CJ Stroud, Ohio State -- Junior, Age 21, 6'3" 215#, 24 games played, record 21-3, 2x Heisman finalist

Passing 552/796 69.3% 7,775 yards, 9.8 Y/A, 81 TD's 12 INT's 182.0 Rating, Rushing 68 att for 102 yards 1 TD

College system - Spread; Very good arm talent, pretty good accuracy, good touch.  Surrounded by elite talent.  Not great at getting to the 2nd and 3rd read in progressions because he hasn't had to.  Prefers to throw to the wide open man.  Doesn't like to test tight man coverage.  Hasn't had to.

Ceiling -- Deshawn Watson  Floor -- Dwayne Haskins

Will Levis, Kentucky -- Senior, Age 23, 6'3" 222#, 38 games played, record 26-12, Transfer from Penn State

Passing 479/738 64.9% 5,876 yards, 8.0 Y/A, 46 TD's 25 INT's 145.6 Rating, Rushing 312 att for 742 yards 17 TD's

College system - Pro style / Zone Read / West Coast; Exceptional arm, flick of the wrist delivery, high competitiveness, high athleticism, less than ideal accuracy, especially downfield, less that good processing.  Surrounded by poor talent, pushing him into rushed judgement, and amplifying his errors.  Production isn't quite there.  Concern with the 25 INT's.  It doesn't get better at the next level.  But he has the tools teams want.

Ceiling -- Joe Flacco  Floor -- Jacob Eason

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee -- Senior, Age 25, 6'4" 218#, 42 games played, record 26-16, Transfer from Virginia Tech

Passing 632/944 66.9% 8,974 yards 9.5 Y/A, 80 TD's 12 INT's 172.2 Rating, Rushing 517 att for 2,079 yards 25 TD's

College system - Vertical Spread; Pretty good arm talent, athleticism, and decision making, ok accuracy, pro-ready processing.  A productivity phenomenon, both running and passing.  80 passing TD's and 25 Rushing TD's.  All traits are good, but none exceptional.  Will be 25 years at the draft.  This is as good as he gets.  Torn ACL injury will be an issue.

Ceiling -- Donovan McNabb  Floor -- Jameis Winston

Anthony Richardson, Florida -- RS Sophomore, Age 21, 6'4" 236#, 19 games played, record 10-9

Passing 215/393 54.7% 3,105 yards 7.9 Y/A, 24 TD's 15 INT's 133.6 Rating, Rushing 161 att for 1,116 yards 12 TD's

College system - RPO / QB Power; Off the charts arm talent and athleticism, ultimate Madden build-a-QB, poor processing and awareness, poor accuracy.  Only one year as starter, poor win/loss rating.  Sushi raw.  But the tools to work with!  Ultimate project.  Maximum boom/bust.

Ceiling -- Michael Vick  Floor -- Akili Smith

Max Duggan, TCU -- Senior, Age 21, 6'2" 201#, 45 games played, 27-18 record 27-18, Heisman trophy finalist

Passing 711/1,174 60.6% 9,241 yards, 7.9 Y/A 71 TD's 24 INT's 142.6 Rating, Rushing 463 att for 1,837 yards 25 TD's

College system - Pro style; decent arm strength, good athleticism, very good processing.  In Big 12, huge success vs lesser opposition.  Large individual production with over 9,000 yards, 71 TD's 1,800 yards rushing 25 TD's.  Processing is better than his physical measurables.  24 INT's in concerning.

Ceiling -- Jimmy Garappolo  Floor -- Jake Fromm

Tanner McKee, Stanford -- Junior, Age 23, 6'6" 228#, 22 games played, record 16-6, high character cancer survivor

Passing 473/748 63.2% 5,336 yards 7.1 Y/A, 28 TD's 15 INT's 131.5 Rating, Rushing 135 att for -86 yards 6 TD's

College system - Pro style / West Coast; Pretty good arm talent, processing, decision making, low athleticism.  Old school immobile pocket passer.  One year starter after 2-year Mormon mission trip.  Very intelligent.  Efficient, low risk, high sacks taken.

Ceiling -- Matt Ryan  Floor -- Blain Gabbert

There are other QB's to look at, like Tyler Van D*yke, Jaren Hall, and Spencer Rattler.  But these are the top seven that will probably go in Day 1 and Day 2 of the draft.

My own preference (given that we'll probably not be in a position to draft Young or Stroud) is still for Levis.  But I totally understand the hesitation to take him.  There are some things to fix.

I still think we must take a QB this draft.  And with Hooker's injury, Richardson's rawness, and Duggan's similarity to Colt McCoy, I still lean toward Levis.

Some of those floor and ceilings are way off base. 

Bryce Young’s ceiling is much more Drew Brees/Prime Russell Wilson than Tua as he’s a way better athlete 

Levis’ ceiling being Joe Flacco is way off base. His floor is Mitchell Trubisky and his ceiling is Josh Allen.

Anthony Richardson’s ceiling should be an easy one. He’s definitely got Cam Newton potential.

I don’t have a comp for Hendon Hooker but I’m not sure I agree with the McNabb ceiling.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Bryce Young’s ceiling is much more Drew Brees/Prime Russell Wilson than Tua as he’s a way better athlete 

Levis’ ceiling being Joe Flacco is way off base. His floor is Mitchell Trubisky and his ceiling is Josh Allen.

Anthony Richardson’s ceiling should be an easy one. He’s definitely got Cam Newton potential.

I don’t have a comp for Hendon Hooker but I’m not sure I agree with the McNabb ceiling.

I would wait till next year to draft a qb 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

And that's what's making the evaluation of these QB's so difficult.  Nobody can agree on them.  At all.  For some, Levis is the prime #1 QB, and for others, he's a day 3 prospect.  It was hard for me to figure out ceiling/floor comparisons, and I had to research QB's far and wide to try to match up relative abilities and and relative outcomes.  For Levis, I figured that his best outcome would be someone who has a rocket for an arm, but who also doesn't have to be relied on to carry the offense.  Who is complimentary to a team with bigger strengths that he is.  And that, for me, said Joe Flacco.  A QB from Delaware with a howitzer, but on a team with a hall of fame defense and a strong running game.  That didn't need to rely on him.  And his floor was something that we had already experienced.  Jacob Eason transferred to Washington, played with an incredible arm, but played with lesser talent, and didn't win any huge games.  Eventually, it became apparent that he wasn't ready to play at the NFL level yet.  At least, that's the way I see it.  But it's all opinion and conjecture and personal experience.  For you, Cam Newton is the amazing QB that can do anything.  For me, that person was Michael Vick, who could throw 70 yards, was the fastest guy on the field, and was a joystick dynamo.  I'd like to say that the closer we get to the draft, the closer the variety of opinions will be to each other.  But we both know that's not going to happen.  Gonna be wild.

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would wait till next year to draft a qb 

What happens if the Colts finish 7-9? People have been saying that for years. They always try to have foresight and predict that next year’s class will be better. Then the year comes and all of a sudden the consensus guys from last year don’t play as good and people start noticing their flaws and get spooked. Then it’s wait till next year. Rinse and repeat.

Or my favorite one is, “Add some future picks for next years draft and then trade everything to move up and select *insert projected top ranked QB(s) here*”

this has been going on since 2020 on this board, and I can’t tell you how ridiculous it is. I should bring up all the posts from before this year’s draft where everyone said wait till 2023 and try and get Young or Stroud, and that the 2023 class would be a better QB class as a whole.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, Archer said:

Me too!  The QB class is iffy, and it’s a year too early IMO to go drafting a QB of the future.  Wait until next year and see if you like any of the 1st round QBs…

On 3/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully,

I REALLY HOPE that IF the Colts trade up, they don't touch next years first a part of a trade

The QBs appear to be much stronger next year vs this year

If we tank, we may be taking a toss with an average QB and miss the franchise guy next year

Willis has been playing at Liberty, which isnt preparing anyone for immediate NFL play

They dont see the mutitude of defensive schemes that he will have to learn in the pros

He also was ALWAYS the best athlete on the field.......  Not in the pros

If you want to take a swing at QB this year, get Strong in round 2 or take a flyer later on Zappe at 4

On 3/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, buccolts said:

I agree on including next years first. I'm more inclined to use a 2022 pick to obtain more 2023 ammo to move up in the first next year.

These are just a few of the posts I dug up with everyone saying wait till next year. I actually remember having a debate with someone (might have been NCF) where the person was saying that 2023 would be better because of Stroud and Young, and I pointed out how they weren’t sure things either and that we might not be in a position to take them. Now here we are a few months later and even if Young is out of range since we won’t have the number 1 overall pick, there are people here who are scared by his size. There’s also been talk about how teams are not sold on Stroud because he’s really bad against pressure. The lesson is that no draft class is a sure thing when it comes to QB. Doesn’t mean you don’t take a swing.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I want Ballard to fix the problems this year. Ballard will pull a move and it will be done before we even know it.  He is not as predictable as some seem to think.  

If he is here I hope that he does fix the problem

MY CONCERN

He continues to think that he can win without strong talent at the QB spot

He is even smug with the "build the lines first" mantra

We need a QB to develop, History has shown that its not his top priority

Max Duggan, TCU -- Senior, Age 21, 6'2" 201#, 45 games played, 27-18 record 27-18, Heisman trophy finalist

Passing 711/1,174 60.6% 9,241 yards, 7.9 Y/A 71 TD's 24 INT's 142.6 Rating, Rushing 463 att for 1,837 yards 25 TD's

College system - Pro style; decent arm strength, good athleticism, very good processing.  In Big 12, huge success vs lesser opposition.  Large individual production with over 9,000 yards, 71 TD's 1,800 yards rushing 25 TD's.  Processing is better than his physical measurables.  24 INT's in concerning.

What this misses is his growth

This year

30 TDs vs just 4 ints

65% completion

I dont see Jimmy Garappolo s ceiling

I see Dak Prescott as his Ceiling (round 4 pickup)

If we dont trade up

I am pleased as punch to take

Hooker, Duggan, or Richardson in round 2 (If Richardson is still there)

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

MY CONCERN

Smug? Give that a break. You don't know the man personally so that comment is B-S. 

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Passing 711/1,174 60.6% 9,241 yards, 7.9 Y/A 71 TD's 24 INT's 142.6 Rating, Rushing 463 att for 1,837 yards 25 TD's

College system - Pro style; decent arm strength, good athleticism, very good processing.  In Big 12, huge success vs lesser opposition.  Large individual production with over 9,000 yards, 71 TD's 1,800 yards rushing 25 TD's.  Processing is better than his physical measurables.  24 INT's in concerning.

30 TDs vs just 4 ints

65% completion

Jimmy Garappolo??? as Ceiling??

2 Differnt kind of players

If we dont trade up

Thanks for the response.  I had a difficult time trying to figure out a ceiling for Duggan.  Looking for a guy who isn't a Peyton Manning superhero type.  Someone who is punching above his weight, and is successful at it.  My best shot was Garappolo.  Got a better comparative?

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Smug? Give that a break. You don't know the man personally so that comment is B-S. 

Obviously we disagree

I see arrogance, overt confidence, and yes smugness from his press conferences, as if he had created a SB team

He hasnt

And....... he needs to be better 

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Thanks for the response.  I had a difficult time trying to figure out a ceiling for Duggan.  Looking for a guy who isn't a Peyton Manning superhero type.  Someone who is punching above his weight, and is successful at it.  My best shot was Garappolo.  Got a better comparative?

I updated afterwards

I didnt mean to be nasty to you, I thought that you were reposting from another link..... I am appreciative of you putting this together

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

MY CONCERN

You say.
 We should have drafted Sam Darnold rather than trade back YOU SAY!

I don't believe for a minute Ballard believes in your theory.
  He and his group of talent evaluators haven't believed in a QB or had the draft fall their way.
 And of course having a good line in INDY following the Luck debacle is a priority. Duh!
I hope we draft top 5. Looks like there is one sure fire (haha) QB this draft. lol

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I updated afterwards

I didnt mean to be nasty to you, I thought that you were reposting from another link..... I am appreciative of you putting this together

Don't worry.  I didn't take anything as nasty.  Looks like you have done more looking into Duggan than I have, and I would definitely want to hear your opinion.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You say.
 We should have drafted Sam Darnold rather than trade back YOU SAY!

I don't believe for a minute Ballard believes in your theory.
  He and his group of talent evaluators haven't believed in a QB or had the draft fall their way.
 And of course having a good line in INDY following the Luck debacle is a priority. Duh!
I hope we draft top 5. Looks like there is one sure fire (haha) QB this draft. lol

We disagree 

Thats OK

My simple response is this

Luck has been gone a long time

We have no young QBs to develop on the roster today

We have not taken any shots at any QBs during this time

I

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Obviously we disagree

I see arrogance, overt confidence, and yes smugness from his press conferences, as if he had created a SB team

He hasnt

And....... he needs to be better 

You honestly think you know someone and can judge them by watching a conference? 

Yeah, OK.

16 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Don't worry.  I didn't take anything as nasty.  Looks like you have done more looking into Duggan than I have, and I would definitely want to hear your opinion.

There are a few QBs that I have watched a few of their games, I also watch their interviews to see if they have mash potatoes for brains

So.....

I really like QB1 and QB2 (I hope we can figure a way to get either)

I could be talked into Levis, but the kid has some processing issues that make me nervous

Richardson will need an OC that will be patient, If he is our guy, we will need to trade back to get him late in round 1

We would need a player like Jimmy G to play for two years, while he gets ready

Its said he has 4.4 speed, and it looks like it as he runs away from DBs which is amazing to me

I can get behind that game plan

Or 

Take Hooker or Duggan with our pick in round 2

Both are intelligent, articulate players that should continue to grow in the NFL

Both are mobile and natural leaders

Duggan puts the team on his shoulders like few that  I have ever seen

Also

I would be bold this time and maybe take Hooker in round two and then take someone like Jaren Hall in round 5

(in the long run, we do need a backup QB)

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You honestly think you know someone and can judge them by watching a conference? 

Yeah, OK.

I am sorry If I somehow offended you 

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are a few QBs that I have watched a few of their games, I also watch their interviews to see if they have mash potatoes for brains

So.....

I could be talked into Levis, but the kid has some processing issues that make me nervous

Richardson will need an OC that will be patient, If he is our guy, we will need to trade back to get him late in round 1

Its said he has 4.4 speed, and it looks like it as he runs away from DBs which is amazing to me

Or 

Both are intelligent, articulate players that should continue to grow in the NFL

Also

I would be bold this time and maybe take Hooker in round two and then take someone like Jaren Hall in round 5

You didn't offend me at all.  I just pointed out you judge Ballard by watching a press conference.  You know that's not right. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

This year

30 TDs vs just 4 ints

65% completion

I dont see Jimmy Garappolo s ceiling

I see Dak Prescott as his Ceiling (round 4 pickup)

If we dont trade up

Yes I do like the Dak Prescott comparison with his legs. 

He could be a high floor moderate ceiling guy for the NFL. I can also see Jimmy G.

Ironically both those QBs and Duggan, like Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson are all 6’2”, pretty good list for measurables, IMO.

Ultimately it’s up to the coaching hired and if you’re going to have a coach that features heavy RPO and uses QB legs, or can work with a less mobile QB with west coast quick hitting principles.

I said this before. With QBs being protected more, if a Bryce Young operated like a Kyler Murray and we have tall pass catchers like DHop and A J Green for Murray was provided (which we do have), we could make it work with the right coach.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

What happens if the Colts finish 7-9? People have been saying that for years. They always try to have foresight and predict that next year’s class will be better. Then the year comes and all of a sudden the consensus guys from last year don’t play as good and people start noticing their flaws and get spooked. Then it’s wait till next year. Rinse and repeat.

Or my favorite one is, “Add some future picks for next years draft and then trade everything to move up and select *insert projected top ranked QB(s) here*”

this has been going on since 2020 on this board, and I can’t tell you how ridiculous it is. I should bring up all the posts from before this year’s draft where everyone said wait till 2023 and try and get Young or Stroud, and that the 2023 class would be a better QB class as a whole.

Well I think it is a different siturai5on. Fans and thr FO thought we were a qb away. I think this season has shown us that this maybe a total rebuild.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes I do like the Dak Prescott comparison with his legs. 

He could be a high floor moderate ceiling guy for the NFL. I can also see Jimmy G.

Ironically both those QBs and Duggan, like Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson are all 6’2”, pretty good list for measurables, IMO.

Ultimately it’s up to the coaching hired and if you’re going to have a coach that features heavy RPO and uses QB legs, or can work with a less mobile QB with west coast quick hitting principles.

I said this before. With QBs being protected more, if a Bryce Young operated like a Kyler Murray and we have tall pass catchers like DHop and A J Green for Murray was provided (which we do have), we could make it work with the right coach.

I don’t see what having tall receivers has anything to do with helping a short quarterback.  All quarterbacks would love tall receivers.  Being short means having issues seeing over tall pass rushers not to mention seeing more tipped passes.  Being short is also a problem when it comes overall field vision.  

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

So.....

Or 

Also

I agree with you on most of your points, and basic drafting plan.

If we are able to claim any of the first three QB's in the first round, then good.  Job done.  If all three are gone by the time we pick, then we take the best LT we can get, and see if Duggan is available in the second round.

I'm hesitant to take Hooker, only because I don't want to take another player with an ACL injury (see: Dayo Odeyingbo).  And I'm very hesitant to take Richardson because of how raw he is.

I don't know if you live in the Indy area, but if you are going to the combine the same as I am, would be glad to meet up and watch together and compare notes.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree with you on most of your points, and basic drafting plan.

If we are able to claim any of the first three QB's in the first round, then good.  Job done.  If all three are gone by the time we pick, then we take the best LT we can get, and see if Duggan is available in the second round.

I'm hesitant to take Hooker, only because I don't want to take another player with an ACL injury (see: Dayo Odeyingbo).  And I'm very hesitant to take Richardson because of how raw he is.

I don't know if you live in the Indy area, but if you are going to the combine the same as I am, would be glad to meet up and watch together and compare notes.

I like Hooker just because with he and others they are going to have to watch and learn anyway

On 12/10/2022 at 4:37 AM, Defjamz26 said:

These are just a few of the posts I dug up with everyone saying wait till next year. I actually remember having a debate with someone (might have been NCF) where the person was saying that 2023 would be better because of Stroud and Young, and I pointed out how they weren’t sure things either and that we might not be in a position to take them. Now here we are a few months later and even if Young is out of range since we won’t have the number 1 overall pick, there are people here who are scared by his size. There’s also been talk about how teams are not sold on Stroud because he’s really bad against pressure. The lesson is that no draft class is a sure thing when it comes to QB. Doesn’t mean you don’t take a swing.

I stand by that statement from April.  Available to us this year could be Tanner McKee, Anthony Richardson, and possibly Will Levis.  The only QB available to us that I liked last year was Bailey Zappe…

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t see what having tall receivers has anything to do with helping a short quarterback.  All quarterbacks would love tall receivers.  Being short means having issues seeing over tall pass rushers not to mention seeing more tipped passes.  Being short is also a problem when it comes overall field vision.  

While kept inside the pocket, Brees was able to spot the helmets of Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston to deliver passes. If you’re outside the pocket, it’s not as important but teams will try to keep the shorter QB in the pocket. So either you increase the depth of your drop or spot the helmets through the passing lanes.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

While kept inside the pocket, Brees was able to spot the helmets of Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston to deliver passes. If you’re outside the pocket, it’s not as important but teams will try to keep the shorter QB in the pocket. So either you increase the depth of your drop or spot the helmets through the passing lanes.

Brees is the exception.  One exception doesn't convince me.  I would want a tall quarterback over a short one 10 out of 10 times. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Brees is the exception.  One exception doesn't convince me.  I would want a tall quarterback over a short one 10 out of 10 times. 

It was just an example, not exclusively to Brees. RW made it work with Metcalf, Murray still throwing to DHop etc. If you have the arm, an additional drop depth of a few extra yards can be compensated with extra yards for completion.

I know what your preference is but all I’m saying is it can be done with the personnel we have. 

I dunno why but Hooker's game reminds me so much of Jacoby Brissett for some reason... I think Levis honestly could be the next Josh Allen type (Allen had a LOT of question marks coming out of college but did put in the work and is a star today)...Young would be awesome if he were bigger...and for some reason Stroud does not impress me at all, from the few games i've watched him play. Richardson is too much of a risk...and the others i've honestly not watched much.

I do wonder if McKee could be something at the pro level, and grow into a solid starter...especially knowing we could take him a bit later (and the top guys are such a crap shoot/risk this year and every year).

3 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I do wonder if McKee could be something at the pro level, and grow into a solid starter...especially knowing we could take him a bit later (and the top guys are such a crap shoot/risk this year and every year).

McKee is about as big of a risk as Richardson. He’s got traits and measurables but did nothing in college. And at some point we can’t keep saying that Levis, Richardson, and McKee all were on terrible teams and that’s why they didn’t perform. Can’t keep giving passes to every guy that doesn’t play at Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State.

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

McKee is about as big of a risk as Richardson. He’s got traits and measurables but did nothing in college. And at some point we can’t keep saying that Levis, Richardson, and McKee all were on terrible teams and that’s why they didn’t perform. Can’t keep giving passes to every guy that doesn’t play at Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State.

McKee wouldn't have to be taken nearly as early as Richardson, thus taking some of the "risk" away...I honestly do not think this QB class is all that good, as far as stars at the NFL level...of the big names, I expect Levis to be the best...but more times than not, it's all about going to the right team.

Next year's class will be much better, I believe...but we will see.

2 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

McKee wouldn't have to be taken nearly as early as Richardson, thus taking some of the "risk" away...I honestly do not think this QB class is all that good, as far as stars at the NFL level...of the big names, I expect Levis to be the best...but more times than not, it's all about going to the right team.

Next year's class will be much better, I believe...but we will see.

I’m not too big on next year’s class. there’s Williams and then there’s everyone else. We don’t know if Drake Maye will be coming out. Outside of that the class is weak. You could argue Williams and Maye>Young and Stroud, but even so would we even have a shot at either of them in 2024? Also whose to say everyone will still like them by then.

Unfortunately I think that Ballard will have no choice and will be forced to draft a QB in round 1 (or 2 at the latest), with the idea that this person can be coached up and start ASAP. First of all, I agree with the idea that the pocket passer in the NFL is a dying breed and recent statistics prove that. See https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/definition-high-floor-qb-change-jalen-hurts . So that means NO to Mckee for starters. As I see it, the only one who can start on day one and potentially be successful is Young, BUT 1) He won't be there for our pick, 2) may be too short and fragile for the long haul. I also say NO to Hooker who 1) is injured and 2) will be a 25 year old rookie. I'm also not high on Stroud, because for him it's first read, then run. He's shown that he can have success on a good team, but can he carry a bad one? Levis is a big question mark in my mind. Did pretty good on a bad team. My only fear is that if he starts immediately, I think that he might be prone to panic and have trouble processing if he is just thrown to the NFL wolves. With Richardson, he would have to prove in the interviews that he CAN process. If he does, it might be worth it to take a gamble on him and let him sit for a half or whole year to learn (but who would be the starting QB in 2023?) Certainly, he seems to have all the best physical tools out of this group to do well, but what is his football IQ at this point? So that leaves Duggan. He seems to LOVE football and can put a team on his back with not great receivers like what Stroud had. Ideally it would be great to get Duggan with our second pick, but will he still be there in round 2? Of course he had a heart condition that was fixed and the docs would have to prove that he is physically OK to play for the long haul. So that's how I feel about all of these QBs right now.

I can't wait for what Ballard decides (assuming that Ballard will still be here) and I think that it will be essential that our next head coach has experience developing young quarterbacks. (Harbaugh anyone?)

5 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

So that leaves Duggan. He seems to LOVE football and can put a team on his back with not great receivers like what Stroud had. Ideally it would be great to get Duggan with our second pick, but will he still be there in round 2? Of course he had a heart condition that was fixed and the docs would have to prove that he is physically OK to play for the long haul. So that's how I feel about all of these QBs right now.

I can't wait for what Ballard decides (assuming that Ballard will still be here) and I think that it will be essential that our next head coach has experience developing young quarterbacks. (Harbaugh anyone?)

As you can see from My posts, I like Hooker slightly more..... But I also like Duggan

I DO see a Dak Prescott in this kid

He outruns DBs.......  amazing to me

The kid just keeps coming.... whatever it takes

He has a pro arm, is a clear team leader, and a nice release

I think he will be a good pro

and.... he is an option that I hope w consider IF QB1 and QB2 are out of reach

I say take Peter Sornoski with 1st pick, then see what QBs are still in the board. IF Derek Carr is available via FA/Trade, get him and def take Skornoski. 

Matbe Levis is still available in R2? Or Grayson McCall? Or McKee? 

Young is prob the only sure thing, and I would not trade the farm to get him! Def would not trade the farm to get Stroud! 

Archived