Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No more Statues

Mr.Debonair

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could, would you trade Taylor if it meant we get into the top 2? Lets say we are at 7th at the time.

Absolutely, RB's are a non premium position in todays NFL and if trading him means getting our QB, or at least taking a chance, the most important position by far. Then we need to do it. We won't be winning anything in the next couple of years with a rookie QB and probably a new GM anyways, Taylor's career will be wasting away with us.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not. He throws ducks and his passes are easy to breakup because of no zip. I never mentioned blind throws so don’t know where that is coming from.

You’re talking about unpredictability. These WRs constantly drop balls in the red zone and often when the pass isn’t being intercepted. Ryan has plenty of those, but he also has a high pass rate, and many of those passes couldn’t be made by Ehlinger or even a good backup QB like Heinicke. Despite being old, which we all know Ryan is, he can still throw well.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Absolutely, RB's are a non premium position in todays NFL and if trading him means getting our QB, or at least taking a chance, the most important position by far. Then we need to do it. We won't be winning anything in the next couple of years with a rookie QB and probably a new GM anyways, Taylor's career will be wasting away with us.

Eberflus might be the right guy to give our (say) No.9 pick and JT to move up to No.2 with the Bears, he has seen JT up close and personal. However, it might take a future No.2 or current No.2, I am afraid.

Just now, dw49 said:

How about the play where Ryan was far outside the pocket and just took a sack instead of throwing the ball away ? What in God's name is the explanation for that ?

He always runs backwards trying to avoid the sack lol. 

1 minute ago, lilolemoi said:

You’re talking about unpredictability. These WRs constantly drop balls in the red zone and often when the pass isn’t being intercepted. Ryan has plenty of those, but he also has a high pass rate, and many of those passes couldn’t be made by Ehlinger or even a good backup QB like Heinicke. Despite being old, which we all know Ryan is, he can still throw well enough for the NFL.

Huh 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin Bowen making fun of Ryan. “Will that ball ever get there” Ryan’s arm is shot. If he realizes this we might get lucky he may just retire. Kevin Bowen Ryan only throwing jump balls lol.

Yeah but we have no better QB on the roster. I can make fun of Kenny Moore who has played like crap all season. What good does that do. IMO, Taylor has been average at best and he was supposed the new Barry Sanders. For clicks and trying to be shock jock - I could call Taylor 'the fumbler' for a nick name. I could make fun of the whole team if I wanted to act like a young kid.

Good news here is colts will be high enough where it won’t be as hard to move up as it would be if they were picking early 20’s.

Let’s hope eagles and bears are high enough to give us a chance to move up. I still am not sure Detroit takes a QB. Goff has played well. They need more picks to build that defense. 

On what planet does anyone walk away from $18 million?

When your time your done. He has been beat up. He has already made millions.

Just now, IinD said:

It truly is sad/bad how washed he is. I think everyone was at least expecting a diminished older Ryan, but not the guy we've seen this year.

Not all his fault our season is dead, but just talking strictly about Ryan.

It’s not even Ryan’s fault. This is one thing I don’t blame Ballard on because Irsay forced him into taking leftovers that were no good.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Eberflus might be the right guy to give our (say) No.9 pick and JT to move up to No.2 with the Bears, he has seen JT up close and personal. However, it might take a future No.2 or current No.2, I am afraid.

Sadly however, I highly doubt Ballard trades his precious picks to move up. Or any of the better players he has hit on in the past. Like Taylor. He was very high on Fields, but didn't want to trade capital and didn't want to take a chance on a young QB. He has admitted himself. I dont think he changes. I could see Irsay forcing his hand, but then we have a GM who is puppet just doing what the owner tells him which is not much better. We need a new GM period.

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Sadly however, I highly doubt Ballard trades his precious picks to move up. Or any of the better players he has hit on in the past. Like Taylor. He was very high on Fields, but didn't want to trade capital and didn't want to take a chance on a young QB. He has admitted himself. I dont think he changes. I could see Irsay forcing his hand, but then we have a GM who is puppet just doing what the owner tells him which is not much better. We need a new GM period.

I don't think Ballard's philosophy will work to take us to the next level. It was good to fill the cupboard with quality and depth at non-premium positions, but he hasn't adapted to life without Luck by ripping the band aid off quick enough or aggressively pursued FA pass rushers/catchers etc.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When your time your done. He has been beat up. He has already made millions.

He clearly wants more, or else why even come to Indianapolis? He was furious at being benched, too and doesn’t feel his time is up. Just helping you not waste your time wishing for things that will never happen since this is such a strange obsession.

2 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

He clearly wants more, or else why even come to Indianapolis? He was furious at being benched, too and doesn’t feel his time is up. Just helping you not waste your time wishing for things that will never happen since this is such a strange obsession.

At some point as a athlete you have to realize your washed. Matt isn’t winning anywhere anymore.

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ballard is gone. His philosophy and lack of talent is now getting exposed. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

At some point as a athlete you have to realize your washed. Matt isn’t winning anywhere anymore.

He’s a big reason this team has won some of the few games they have this season. The way the Colts go through QBs, you have to wonder if maybe the players aren’t the problem.

Just now, lilolemoi said:

You’re the one who refuses to accept reality. Ryan’s money next year is guaranteed. He’s not retiring, and he’s your starter next year.

He could realize he doesn't want to get beat up anymore. If it is more about your legacy and body, what good is the money if you don't have your health? He didn't sign up for the beating he is taking and may not want to do so another year, IMO.

Cowboys, Vikings and Chargers next three games. That’s 3 losses most likely  with other teams winning during the bye week. It’s looking better and better that they will end up close to top 5. 

You’re the one who refuses to accept reality. Ryan’s money next year is guaranteed. He’s not retiring, and he’s your starter next year. There’s nobody better on the roster.

No one can watch him play and think he has anything left. If Ryan is the starter next season something went wrong in the draft.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

He could realize he doesn't want to get beat up anymore. If it is more about your legacy and body, what good is the money if you don't have your health? He didn't sign up for the beating he is taking and may not want to do so another year, IMO.

He has 4 year old twins. I am sure he wants to make sure he can still play with his kids.

Mt bet is Ryan retires and Foles or Sam are the backup.

Gilmore might have some trade value too.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I don’t see Ballard trading up to take a rookie quarterback.  Too expensive.  But I could see him trading for Jordan Love.  The Packers are caught in a dilemma with Love.  They are stuck with Rogers for one more year.  Loves contract is nearing an end.  He’s eligible for the expensive 5th year option.  Or do they trade him and draft a quarterback this year.  They will be drafting early.  He has barely played in his four years behind Rodgers and looked good last week when Rodgers went out.  Rodgers is back this week.  Love is an option that I think Ballard would be interested in.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He’s also shown he can run if he needs to or take a knee. God knows he’s been sacked an unbelievable amount of times this year and still played the next game and practiced, too. It’s more likely he figures Ballard gets fired and you shore up key positions, so stick around because it can only get better.

29 minutes ago, dw49 said:

How about the play where Ryan was far outside the pocket and just took a sack instead of throwing the ball away ? What in God's name is the explanation for that ?

Troy Aikman was being respectful and passive, but you could tell that he was questioning Ryan's individual play a lot last night.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Troy Aikman was being respectful and passive, but you could tell that he was questioning Ryan's individual play a lot last night.

Aikman couldn’t understand why we weren’t running Taylor more as well.  He said if he was quarterback he would be running him more like he did with Smith.

10 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

He’s also shown he can run if he needs to or take a knee. God knows he’s been sacked an unbelievable amount of times this year and still played the next game and practiced, too. It’s more likely he figures Ballard gets fired and you shore up key positions, so stick around because it can only get better.

Anyways, the Colts can make him a post June 1 cut and save some money against the cap. Then Ryan can go latch on to someone else if he can.

Based on this, I see them bailing on him before March 17, 2023. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/matt-ryan-3983/#:~:text=Contract Notes%3A&text=2019 Option Bonus%3A %2410M,%2F2023%2C injury guaranteed now)

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Aikman couldn’t understand why we weren’t running Taylor more as well.  He said if he was quarterback he would be running him more like he did with Smith.

As did Jack Buck.  And the reporter asked Saturday going into halftime about getting it to JT more, and JS quickly said something like we have to mix it up though.   Balance, I guess.  

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Anyways, the Colts can make him a post June 1 cut and save some money against the cap. Then Ryan can go latch on to someone else if he can.

What, a measly $6 million savings? They still have to get another QB in FA, and there aren’t many of them same as last year. Even if you draft a QB they won’t be ready their rookie year and would benefit from a vet like Ryan who has always taken a supportive role. Especially since you don’t even know who your HC will be and won’t till well after the season ends.

Just now, lilolemoi said:

What, a measly $6 million savings? They still have to get another QB in FA, and there aren’t many of them same as last year. Even if you draft a QB they won’t be ready their rookie year and would benefit from a vet like Ryan who has always taken a supportive role. Especially since you don’t even know who your HC will be.

Nope, we save about $17 mil. against the cap. Go look up this thread and ask @w87r, our cap expert all about it.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Question is what made colts think Ryan was any good. Falcons have been bad for a couple years. Colts would have been better off having Winston as their first choice. He can at least stretch the field. Locker room loves him. Him with Campbell and pierce might of been fun. 

• ATLs oline last year was actually better than ours.  And Ryan was comfortable in the O....just played slower and calmer.
  • Kyle Pitts is someone any D has to account for, opening up opportunities for others.
  • Ryan did not look bad last year.  

I don't think they were interested in stretching the field more.  They were interested in leadership, because Wentz was thought to not have it for some reason.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

• ATLs oline last year was actually better than ours.  And Ryan was comfortable in the O....just played slower and calmer.
  • Kyle Pitts is someone any D has to account for, opening up opportunities for others.
  • Ryan did not look bad last year.  

I don't think they were interested in stretching the field more.  They were interested in leadership, because Wentz was thought to not have it for some reason.

Leadership doesn’t matter when the play is that bad. If you just look at Ryan’s passing stats they actually aren’t bad. I bet if we watched every atlanta game from last season we would see the same thing we are seeing now. Maybe not as bad but I bet the issues with him were there.

Irsay better hope Ryan doesn’t get injured so bad he can’t pass a physical in the spring or they are going to owe him a ton of money. With the teams coming up it is very likely injury is going to occur.

8 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

What, a measly $6 million savings? They still have to get another QB in FA, and there aren’t many of them same as last year. Even if you draft a QB they won’t be ready their rookie year and would benefit from a vet like Ryan who has always taken a supportive role. Especially since you don’t even know who your HC will be and won’t till well after the season ends.

No it’s like 17 million.

Archived