Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins get the hammer

ColtV

13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It’s certainly harder than a slap on the wrist, to be sure.  Losing a 1st and a 3rd hurts.  The suspensions and fine are window dressing.

But it easily could’ve been worse for them - especially if the investigation had found that they deliberately tanked games to improve draft position.

I guess for me, it would depend on how they tanked.   If they had a couple player ruled questionable for a game and they chose to sit them out, I am fine with that.  If the coach goes for a short FG when down by 4 late in the 4th, that is a bit different.  

2 hours ago, ColtV said:

1st and 3rd round picks in 2023 forfeited after investigation into tampering and tanking. Team owner Stephen Ross is suspended from team activities and $1.5m fine

2023 First round pick and 2024 third round pick.

Suspended thru October 17th.

Removed from all NFL committees and cannot attend any NFL owners meetings until 2023.

Dolphins VP Brian Beal was also sanctioned.

All of these penalties are for tampering with QB Tom Brady when he was under contract to the Patriots and the Buccaneers - PLUS - tampering with Head Coach Sean Payton while he was under contract to the New Orleans Saints.

I think these are substantial penalties for which NFL Commission Roger Goodell stated "

"The investigators found tampering violations of unprecedented scope and severity," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "I know of no prior instance of a team violating the prohibition on tampering with both a head coach and star player, to the potential detriment of multiple other clubs, over a period of several years. Similarly, I know of no prior instance in which ownership was so directly involved in the violations."

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I guess for me, it would depend on how they tanked.   If they had a couple player ruled questionable for a game and they chose to sit them out, I am fine with that.  If the coach goes for a short FG when down by 4 late in the 4th, that is a bit different.  

The (former) coach was who made the allegation.  He said Ross openly pushed for losing games to improve draft position.

It seems like they determined Ross had made some off-hand comments to that end.  But it never went any farther than that — ie, offering bonuses to that end.

This tanking thing has been debunked, and was never believable when Flores raised it as part of some sort of discrimination bias claim.  This aspect of the story should not even be spoken about because it was totally fabricated to begin with, being created at a time where the environment allowed such stupidity to gain some traction.

The story is about Miami's tampering with players outside of the free agency period.  That's the basis of the disciplinary action.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived