Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Division Realignment? [Merge]

FightLikeSin

???

Calling Miami east--even though it is the southernmost NFL host city is correct technically. Jacksonville and Tampa are north of Miami, so both statements are correct but neither are right. Not really important, not trying to annoy, just making a sarcastic comment and it kept going. Sorry.

You mean like the AFC West teams?

Whoops. I meant the AFC South. Was thinking about the AFC West as one of the notable exceptions along with the NFC East, NFC North, and AFC North when I was typing that and spliced my thoughts. :(

Calling Miami east--even though it is the southernmost NFL host city is correct technically. Jacksonville and Tampa are north of Miami, so both statements are correct but neither are right. Not really important, not trying to annoy, just making a sarcastic comment and it kept going. Sorry.

So what, they're in the eastern time zone. Better than the Rams in the "west".

So what, they're in the eastern time zone. Better than the Rams in the "west".

Time zones are a big consideration when selecting divisional teams, right?

The Rams are still in the west because of the "traditional rivals" thing the NFL does but as the Colts are in a division with no traditional rivals it makes less sense.

Time zones are a big consideration when selecting divisional teams, right?

The Rams are still in the west because of the "traditional rivals" thing the NFL does but as the Colts are in a division with no traditional rivals it makes less sense.

Well according to the OPs re-alignment it is.

I don't see realignment really happening unless more teams are added.

And on that note I hope we never add more teams. The current situation just works out too well. Adding only a couple of teams would really make it unbalanced. To balance it out, you'd have to add 8 teams (a 5th team to the current divisions or a new division to each conference).

But the likelyhood is more teams will be added. I read an article that said L.A. wants not only one team, but three. Also Goodell seems to want to expand internationally with London, Canada, Mexico and possibly Japan being considered.

I don't see realignment really happening unless more teams are added.

And on that note I hope we never add more teams. The current situation just works out too well. Adding only a couple of teams would really make it unbalanced. To balance it out, you'd have to add 8 teams (a 5th team to the current divisions or a new division to each conference).

But the likelyhood is more teams will be added. I read an article that said L.A. wants not only one team, but three. Also Goodell seems to want to expand internationally with London, Canada, Mexico and possibly Japan being considered.

they may be considering going international but the logistics would be prohibitive. Canada, yes. Mexico, yes. London, once a year gets a big crowd but every week would probably go flat eventually and cost way too much money.

• 2 months later...

Just like it was done like 10 years ago.

The AFC West is too easy. It seems more like a competition of who can lose the most. But with Peyton there, it seems like an easy division win unless the Chargers show up and the Raiders dont choke again.

The NFC East is too competitive. It's kind of unfair that every team is playoff bound. Redskins might not make it this year but definitely after that. In the end, only 1 can make it and the other has to hope they can make wild card.

AFC South. Saints get it way too easy. Hopefully Cam will offer the Saints the competitiveness they never have to deal with.

NFC West. By far the easiest division in the NFL. It was like 2 years ago where the Seahawks won the division with an 8-8 record...right?

If they did eventually. They wouldnt switch any teams from the AFC to the NFC or vice versa. Right? Would you like to see that happen? As a Colts fan, i probably wouldnt simply because were still in a good position to take the title back in 2-3 years. But i will like the rest of the league too just for excitement.

Don't think it will happen. However if the jags do move to L.A. as some rumors say. I think they should switch the jags and the rams. No real rivals in the nfc west. My dream division Indy,Chicago,Cincinnati,St.Louis. But that's never gonna happen.

By this logic, we would be rearranging teams based on how good they are. However, they are only that good, in large part, because of the players they have. So that means we would have to rearrange teams every few years because players change so often. And what about teams that go worst to first? The Chiefs went 7-9 last year and would be placed in a division with other not very strong teams. But they were missing key guys like Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, and Matt Cassel. Give them those three guys back healthy and they are much better than 7-9.

The divisions are good just the way they are. They have led to some exciting rivalries. I can't wait to see Indy/Houston in a few years once we build up our team and Luck gets some experience. Jets/Pats is another good rivalry, same with Eagles/Giants.

Don't think it will happen. However if the jags do move to L.A. as some rumors say. I think they should switch the jags and the rams. No real rivals in the nfc west. My dream division Indy,Chicago,Cincinnati,St.Louis. But that's never gonna happen.

Out of curiosity, why those 4 teams in your dream division?

This is the past decade win loss records for the divisions.

AFC SOUTH- 331 277 .544

NFC EAST 343 296 .537

AFC EAST 337 303 .527

AFC NORTH 320 318 .502

NFC SOUTH 316 323 .495

AFC WEST 310 330 .484

NFC NORTH 302 338 .472

NFC WEST 283 357 .442

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/01/07/nfl-standings-for-the-decade-colts-patriots-are-the-best-lion/

There is a whole article here.

I was reading an article today about the Vikings getting their bill for a new stadium rejected today and how they might be moving to L.A. I was thinking about how they could justify still being in the NFC North over in California...and how dumb some of the divisions are setup, especially for the Colts.

Am I the only one finds a dissonance with Indianapolis being in a "Southern" division?

I think it would make for better rivalries if the divisions were closer to each other. I found a before and after of what an NFL Division realignment would look like.

Current

7087353243_eee572085f_z.jpg

Geographical Realignment

6941282498_625e6cd522_z.jpg

I never noticed, until looking at ur map, but there is a large chunk of the US that has no NFL team near...

The NFC East is too competitive. It's kind of unfair that every team is playoff bound. Redskins might not make it this year but definitely after that. In the end, only 1 can make it and the other has to hope they can make wild card.

It's not possible for every team in a division to make the playoffs. There are four teams in each division and there are only two wild card spots for each conference, so at the very most it is only possible for three teams from any one division to make the playoffs.