Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooray Matt Pryor

EastStreet

Not trying to over-react or hot-take,,,,, but Pryor was our highest graded player last week. 

Coming in at 87.7 for the game, and 75.9 for the year. He's been bounced around from T to G, and RT to LT... and has graded well at every stop. 

Zero sacks given up in his snaps. If he can continue to manage his weight, I like it. 

Anyway, thought he deserved a separate call out while I'm doing the PFF for this week. 

First Pinter now Pryor ........... we have options. 

hooray-beer-red-stripe.gif

Not saying this is a Pryor issue (more likely a Fisher issue), but doesn't our pass blocking look really bad this year?  Or am I only remembering the plays where Carson has to scramble or he gets sacked?

It seems like he rarely has time to go to his second read without someone being on him.

And it always looks like the opposing QB can take his playbook out and review the routes while he's in the pocket.

(Probably just me remembering the bad and forgetting the good)

13 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

He wasn’t that good lol. Better then Davenport though.

Pryor hasn't been that good? Huh? He's killed it at every chance he's gotten after getting his feet wet. He's played both T positions and guard. Only took him 3 games to bring his average up to the 70s. Not sure on what planet "he wasn't that good" lol.... He was dominant in run blocking Sunday (which is the only place where Fisher has out-graded him at times), and handled Yannick Ngakoue with ease in pass pro. Ngakoue by the way has 10 sacks on the year... more than any Colt DL.... 

Here's his grades and usage... 

NA/27%/28%/42%/100%/100%/100%/NA/27%/NA/12%/4%/15%/6%/100%/100%

NA/62.3/66.5/64.0/71.2/76.3/69.5/NA/74.3/NA/74.7/74.7/74.1/75.2/70.2/75.9

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not saying this is a Pryor issue (more likely a Fisher issue), but doesn't our pass blocking look really bad this year?  Or am I only remembering the plays where Carson has to scramble or he gets sacked?

It seems like he rarely has time to go to his second read without someone being on him.

And it always looks like the opposing QB can take his playbook out and review the routes while he's in the pocket.

(Probably just me remembering the bad and forgetting the good)

Fisher has been the weak link in pass pro all year. Kelly has struggled there too. 

And yes, our DL is just not that good when it comes to pressures. Ranked #31 in pressure %.....  And yes, Wentz is the 2 most hit QB lol... 

13 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, the rest of the line must've played worse than I thought if Pryor was the top graded Lineman! 

JK, good job Pryor! 

Nelson and Pryor killed it this week.

6 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I would love to see him developed as a swing tackle, it is a much needed position.  Reed is a swing guard, to put it in perspective.

I think it will be hard to keep him around as a swing T next year. His tape and grades are likely enough that he'll get an offer for a starter position. 

Me, I'm almost to the point I'd roll the dice, and resign him to a 3 year deal, giving him a shot at LT. At worst, he'd be a good swing T / depth. I'd just make sure there are some clauses in the contract about weight management. He's done so well getting it under control and developing his technique, but can't have him backslide after a contract extension. 

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it will be hard to keep him around as a swing T next year. His tape and grades are likely enough that he'll get an offer for a starter position. 

Me, I'm almost to the point I'd roll the dice, and resign him to a 3 year deal, giving him a shot at LT. At worst, he'd be a good swing T / depth. I'd just make sure there are some clauses in the contract about weight management. He's done so well getting it under control and developing his technique, but can't have him backslide after a contract extension. 

We agree, imagine that?

I fear someone is going to offer Pryor 3/18 or maybe even 3/20 to come be their new RT. 

I’ve been hoping we’d be able to sign him to be our swing tackle at roughly 2/10.   But his performance has been so good, he may have played his way off our roster.   

Good for him.   Bad for us…..  

4 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

We agree, imagine that?

Yup. I think he'd be fine with Q on his flank, and will continue to get better. As long as he keeps up with S&C, I really am confident in his long term outlook. I also think he'll be really open to a modest deal. I have to believe he's got some loyalty to Indy. We traded for him, and gave him opportunity. I'd love to see him be one of those great news stories about an up and down or overweight 6th round pick that blossomed into a top performer. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I think he'd be fine with Q on his flank, and will continue to get better. As long as he keeps up with S&C, I really am confident in his long term outlook. I also think he'll be really open to a modest deal. I have to believe he's got some loyalty to Indy. We traded for him, and gave him opportunity. I'd love to see him be one of those great news stories about an up and down or overweight 6th round pick that blossomed into a top performer. 

Hopefully he slips under the radar after only playing a few games at 100% of the snaps on both sides.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully he slips under the radar after only playing a few games at 100% of the snaps on both sides.  

He's played 5 games at a 100% clip. And another 4 games in the 25-50% range. 

Given his grades, I just can't see him slipping under the radar. 

But I'm with ya in terms of hope. 

If Ballard were to extend him now, that would take a lot of pressure off the draft and off season, in multiple ways. 

I would need to see more from Pryor before I could come to the conclusion he can be a starter at LT. But he clearly can play every position for a short time. He should be extended for at least a backup.  I just wouldn’t put all my eggs in the basket for him as a starter at LT yet. Not saying he can’t be eventually. Fisher probably gets brought back for another year at least.

The guy from sporttrac tweeted the other day colts can rip up Wentz contract after the season and sign him to a new one to give them more cap flexibility because there is no dead cap from the bonus or something like that. I could see them doing that to give them more cap room.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's played 5 games at a 100% clip. And another 4 games in the 25-50% range. 

Given his grades, I just can't see him slipping under the radar. 

But I'm with ya in terms of hope. 

If Ballard were to extend him now, that would take a lot of pressure off the draft and off season, in multiple ways. 

I agree.  I believe we traded for him and he has had a strong season so I would think Ballard is very happy and will try to get him extended asap.

Archived