Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee cashing in

EastStreet

On 12/9/2021 at 8:35 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup. He spread the dollars around too. Even dropped some in Peyton's kids hospital. 

Great guy, and great personality. 

I'm so happy he didn't get swallowed up by ESPN in earlier days, and loved him torching ESPN earlier this year. I do hate that a few cooler ESPN folks aren't allowed to go on his show. 

I heard he’s gonna renovate the canal and install lane markers for competitive swimming.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, it is kind of weird that you got attacked for it.  Which then if they are speaking for Pat, apparently Pat does care about people who don't watch while he says he doesn't........IOW, kinda phony.

IMO he can make his millions.  I don't care who makes what,  I'm happy where I'm at in life.   As far as me wanting to watch his show, the guy who invented the fog-horn probably made millions.  It has its place, but in the myriad of offerings I have to choose from, I'm not going to listen to the show that annoys me as much as a fog-horn in my ear.

I've never had reasons to use that millionaires fog horn.  I don't have a reason to listen to a millionaires podcast.

And the independent thinker, noncorporate, non conformists, stick-it-to-The-Man schtick has been around since at least 1968, my entire lifetime.  It takes different forms over the decades (and no doubt centuries).  Its not new, but the younger generation always thinks its a new and unique point of view because they haven't lived that long.  They were generally conformists under their parents household.  So guys like Pat seem like a breath of fresh air who helps the nongeriatric ages sow their independence oats.  When they get old enough, they probably begin to see how many visible personalities tap into, and make money off of, that rebel/underdog part of human nature thinking, which tends to be stronger in youth.

Because these days if you criticize something people like, they feel criticized themselves. 

The thing is, I DO support his show because I actually like Pat as a human being. Like I said, I watch his segments with Chuck and A-Rod every week, because they are both great segments with a ton of insight. Which is what I feel he is really good at. Disarming people and bringing out their most playful side. Those are great. And he apparently DOES care what I think, he said so in his announcement about the sponsorship. Because I AM a supporter.

I just think hes tapped into this new found hatred of "mainstream media" and desire to simply find something different. 

Thing is, mainstream media is what it is because the "mainstream" (ie majority of viewers) wants to watch that kind of content. They didnt change overnight, the audience forced them to change or die. And this recipe is what works. Its not a conspiracy. People watch it more when its like that. So blame the audience. Stop acting like you dont have a part in whats shown on TV. If nobody watches, they change or go out of business. 

The people criticizing it are the same people who are actually watching it. Otherwise how would you know what is even on there? I dont watch any of this stuff at all. And I have no hatred towards them because I dont care what they are saying because I dont know what they are saying. I get my news online because I dont want to watch a persons opinion on whats going on I want the story in print where its easier for me to digest and form my own opinion. And Ive never been accused of recited talking points because I clearly dont. 

The news channels ratings have never been better than they have been since they became slanted and overly opinionated. Because you either want to watch it to support your confirmation bias or you want to watch it so you can get mad at it. If that wasnt the case they would waste their money broadcasting content nobody wanted to see. Its the same recipe that Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern used. The people who hate you listen twice as long as the people who love you.

People love to say "The news should just stick to the facts.....blah blah blah".......BUT NOBODY WOULD ACTUALLY WATCH IT! They are trying to attract viewers. And its working. 

But then they defend McAfee for doing what his audience wants him to do and suggest he should cater to his viewers and tell his critics to kick rocks because he is successful at it? 

It makes no sense at all!

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He set a Canal record haha . He would probably laugh at me saying that, that is how good of a guy he is. Best punter we have ever had. 

I remember watching the initial Pat McAfee Show out of his apartment bedroom in 2010 or whatever.  He was wearing an "I Swam the Canal" t-shirt.

30 million?  I never thought he would make 30 cents doing it.  lol

45 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Because these days if you criticize something people like, they feel criticized themselves. 

The thing is, I DO support his show because I actually like Pat as a human being. Like I said, I watch his segments with Chuck and A-Rod every week, because they are both great segments with a ton of insight. Which is what I feel he is really good at. Disarming people and bringing out their most playful side. Those are great. And he apparently DOES care what I think, he said so in his announcement about the sponsorship. Because I AM a supporter.

I just think hes tapped into this new found hatred of "mainstream media" and desire to simply find something different. 

Thing is, mainstream media is what it is because the "mainstream" (ie majority of viewers) wants to watch that kind of content. They didnt change overnight, the audience forced them to change or die. And this recipe is what works. Its not a conspiracy. People watch it more when its like that. So blame the audience. Stop acting like you dont have a part in whats shown on TV. If nobody watches, they change or go out of business. 

The people criticizing it are the same people who are actually watching it. Otherwise how would you know what is even on there? I dont watch any of this stuff at all. And I have no hatred towards them because I dont care what they are saying because I dont know what they are saying. I get my news online because I dont want to watch a persons opinion on whats going on I want the story in print where its easier for me to digest and form my own opinion. And Ive never been accused of recited talking points because I clearly dont. 

The news channels ratings have never been better than they have been since they became slanted and overly opinionated. Because you either want to watch it to support your confirmation bias or you want to watch it so you can get mad at it. If that wasnt the case they would waste their money broadcasting content nobody wanted to see. Its the same recipe that Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern used. The people who hate you listen twice as long as the people who love you.

People love to say "The news should just stick to the facts.....blah blah blah".......BUT NOBODY WOULD ACTUALLY WATCH IT! They are trying to attract viewers. And its working. 

But then they defend McAfee for doing what his audience wants him to do and suggest he should cater to his viewers and tell his critics to kick rocks because he is successful at it? 

It makes no sense at all!

I'm not going to get into a deep discussion about the Meaning of The Pat McAfee Show.  His high energy, we're hipper than you style just doesn't attract me as a listener.

Being a rebel or counter to the norm has been in media for ever.  I think in the 1950's, Indiana's own James Dean became a star in the movie Rebel Without A Cause.  1950.  Not that Pat is phony, that its a fake persona, its just that the idea of being against the status quo or counter-culture is really really old.  Its a 1950s thing.

But 99% of the world doesn't listen to his show.  Probably 95% of Americans don't.  So if he's truly really proud about not caring about those who don't watch it, proud of not caring about 95% of Americans, then that attitude is inherently divisive, IMO.

A non divisive person would want to change a little to come more over to the side of attracting some of the 95% without alienating those folks who already watch it.  

I wonder how many Pat listeners also like Dan Dakich.  I'd think they are two different groups that wouldn't get along, but that's just my take.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not going to get into a deep discussion about the Meaning of The Pat McAfee Show.  His high energy, we're hipper than you style just doesn't attract me as a listener.

Being a rebel or counter to the norm has been in media for ever.  I think in the 1950's, Indiana's own James Dean became a star in the movie Rebel Without A Cause.  1950.  Not that Pat is phony, that its a fake persona, its just that the idea of being against the status quo or counter-culture is really really old.  Its a 1950s thing.

But 99% of the world doesn't listen to his show.  Probably 95% of Americans don't.  So if he's truly really proud about not caring about those who don't watch it, proud of not caring about 95% of Americans, then that attitude is inherently divisive, IMO.

A non divisive person would want to change a little to come more over to the side of attracting some of the 95% without alienating those folks who already watch it.  

I wonder how many Pat listeners also like Dan Dakich.  I'd think they are two different groups that wouldn't get along, but that's just my take.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you like.   I have no dog in this hunt.   Don’t care. 

But I couldn’t help but notice that your first sentence was about NOT doing a deep dive into the meaning of Pat’s show.  And then you wrote four paragraphs on the meaning of Pats’s show.    Okie-Dokie. 

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not sure, I dont like Dakich at all.

Like I said previously, I dont watch much TV at all. Maybe 10 hours a week tops during my work week. I usually have 1 show I am binging, a show I am watching weekly and the rest is basically youtube videos and a DOC or two. On the weekends its typically a sporting event or a movie and I try to limit that to 4 hours or less a day, unless I just need some rest and dont feel like doing anything, which happens more and more every year. 

I just dont watch things because its not something else, and I find that refreshing. I dont have time for that. I probably did that more when I was younger, but not in my early 40s. I watch things I am truly interested in these days. I think as you get older yoy cut out as much nonsense as you can because you simply value your time much more and know better what truly fulfills you.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're entitled to whatever opinion you like.   I have no dog in this hunt.   Don’t care. 

But I couldn’t help but notice that your first sentence was about NOT doing a deep dive into the meaning of Pat’s show.  And then you wrote four paragraphs on the meaning of Pats’s show.    Okie-Dokie. 

And you just did the same thing with his opinion NCF. I didnt consider his post a "deep dive". I dont think a few paragraphs is that deep. And I thought he made some good points.

Most of this nonsense is people falling for the new guys' sales pitch. What better pitch is there than "Dont fall for the old tricks, come check out the latest new and improved thing!" 

That entire idea is what mass marketing was built upon. And Dougs probably right, it started around the 1950s.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, it wasn't as long as the comment I was responding to..LOL.

There is no meaning really.  I was pointing out how Hipness has been a sellable commodity since at least 1950, probably way before.

Look at Progressive Insurance commercials.  They've got a new shtick about not being like your parents.  Got one segment of a commercial that basically makes fun of people who still use paper airline tickets.  I guess they want to sell people a Hip Identity as much as they want to sell you insurance.  Maybe they feel their insurance is no better than State Farm. so they gotta think of some reason to get us to go with them.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, it wasn't as long as the comment I was responding to..LOL.

There is no meaning really.  I was pointing out how Hipness has been a sellable commodity since at least 1950, probably way before.

Look at Progressive Insurance commercials.  They've got a new shtick about not being like your parents.  Got one segment of a commercial that basically makes fun of people who still use paper airline tickets.  I guess they want to sell people a Hip Identity as much as they want to sell you insurance.  Maybe they feel their insurance is no better than State Farm. so they gotta think of some reason to get us to go with them.

Or it's a funny commercial. 

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Or it's a funny commercial. 

Nope.  Ad campaigns cost millions of dollars and they all have a goal.  They are not selling insurance with that ad campaign.  At least funny Flo talks about "Bundling".  They are selling you an identity in hopes it creates brand loyalty.  You are this kind of person if you buy our product.  Hip, not a dinosaur who uses paper tickets or talks about parking strategy.  Probably going after younger customers who inherently poke fun at their parents. 

But this conversation is wandering too much.

Ok we get it you guys don't like his shtick. It's popular, some people like it. Sorry for the geriatric comment but it still seems to me that the uber serious older crowd are the ones who find his behavior annoying or fake. Either way he was a great Colt and a current representative of the city I grew up in. He runs his business from Indy.

9 minutes ago, life long said:

but it still seems to me that the uber serious older crowd are the ones who find his behavior annoying or fake.

You seem to be generalizing. I turn 62 next month. I like what Pat does. I've supported him in all threads about him. 

Honestly, I find this whole thread amazing. If someone starts a thread about how much they like Dakitch, I'll make one comment about how I think he is a complete tool, but I won't stay in the thread trying to hammer home my point. 

I agree that a lot of older folks get a pretty "get off my lawn". I also find that a lot of younger folks have ridiculous sensitivity when it comes to criticism. In the end, give your comment and move on. If you stay and battle, your intentions are fairly transparent. 

Feliz Navidad!

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

You seem to be generalizing. I turn 62 next month. I like what Pat does. I've supported him in all threads about him. 

Honestly, I find this whole thread amazing. If someone starts a thread about how much they like Dakitch, I'll make one comment about how I think he is a complete tool, but I won't stay in the thread trying to hammer home my point. 

I agree that a lot of older folks get a pretty "get off my lawn". I also find that a lot of younger folks have ridiculous sensitivity when it comes to criticism. In the end, give your comment and move on. If you stay and battle, your intentions are fairly transparent. 

Feliz Navidad!

My intentions in this thread are completely transparent.  I was mainly trying to poke fun at the angry old man stereotype; based upon the reaction Pat gets in here. I understand people don't like him for their reasons but to say he seems phony would imply they know how he would behave without the camera.  He seems less phony to me than the keyboard warriors here calling his genuineness into question. I came here to show appreciation and felt compelled to give my two cents. I only generalized old people to counter the young people bias many here had already stated.

7 minutes ago, life long said:

My intentions in this thread are completely transparent.  I was mainly trying to poke fun at the angry old man stereotype; based upon the reaction Pat gets in here. I understand people don't like him for their reasons but to say he seems phony would imply they know how he would behave without the camera.  He seems less phony to me than the keyboard warriors here calling his genuineness into question. I came here to show appreciation and felt compelled to give my two cents. I only generalized old people to counter the young people bias many here had already stated.

I agree. I have always felt he is the least phony guy around. About as real as it gets. 

Reading some of the comments in this thread area a bit funny.

I'm 50ish... I don't watch Pat a lot, but love the shows I've seen. I'd likely watch him more if he were on cable.

What I do know, is he seems imperfect, real, honest, and energetic. And he doesn't bow to the Death Star (ESPN), who are about the phoniest, most corporate, and contrived network out there. He's well respected by his peers, and athletes seem to love him. And all of that is on top of the fact he's a great Colt and gives a boat load to charity.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Here is the definition of shtick, a term YOU USED to describe McAfee

Shtick- gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc. associated with a particular person

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AUTHENTIC ABOUT A GIMMICK 

You should take more time to get a solid grasp of the words you choose to use.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Reading some of the comments in this thread area a bit funny.

I'm 50ish... I don't watch Pat a lot, but love the shows I've seen. I'd likely watch him more if he were on cable.

What I do know, is he seems imperfect, real, honest, and energetic. And he doesn't bow to the Death Star (ESPN), who are about the phoniest, most corporate, and contrived network out there. He's well respected by his peers, and athletes seem to love him. And all of that is on top of the fact he's a great Colt and gives a boat load to charity.

"death star"

Were they wearing the Vader suit when they asked him to bow before them?

Cmon East, that was a little over the top.

Was it evil when they came on the scene and helped professional sports grow to levels where dudes who kick a ball can become millionaires? 

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Shtick- gimmick, comic routine, style of performance, etc. associated with a particular person

"death star"

Was it evil when they came on the scene and helped professional sports grow to levels where dudes who kick a ball can become millionaires? 

I used "shtick" to describe how his haters view his content.  Maybe pull out your dictionary and look up comprehension.  BTW that word also as YOU WROTE can mean comic routine. Which clearly Pat wants his show to be funny. Maybe you should comprehend the definition before you misunderstand it.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

"death star"

I loved ESPN back in the day. Absolutely loved them. I woke up to their shows for a ton of years. And continued to do so until they dropped Mike and Mike. The last ten or so years have been bad. There's a reason why their ratings have dropped off consistently during that time. Their decline started before the whole streaming trend, so that's not it either. 

And no, I don't think it's over the top. They did a lot for sports in the 80s, but I'd say sports has done far better for them lol. And sorry, not going to credit them with NFL players becoming millionaires. ESPN has literally one NFL game a week. It's like saying MTV is responsible for millionaire rock starts. MTV certainly sped things up for some, but Led Zeppelin never needed MTV. But I really don't care about their impact to others making millions. I loved the NFL, CFB, and CBB before ESPN came on line. OTA worked just fine. 

And their programming these days is high on hot takes and outrage, and low on substance. They do everything they can to snuff out competition. I don't blame them or anything, it's business. But I also loved the smell of their desperation when they literally barred any ESPN employees (national or local media) from appearing on his show. Then their was a substantial blow back from the move...... .And then ESPN lied, and tried to deflect... It was hilarious. 

Anyway, if you like ESPN, great. I'm glad you still enjoy. Aside from games, I don't waste a lot of time on them. I'll watch NFL Today from time to time, but that's about it. I expect though that they'll continue to decline as leagues like the NFL go stream direct on other platforms. I care little about the NBA these days, so CFB and CBB will be the only things that really drive me to turn them on. 

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

"death star"

They did what they did to make money.    They weren't doing anyone any favors other than themselves.   There is nothing wrong with that.    Espn is nothing like they were when they started.   Most news shows aren't.   That's why a lot of people have moved on to watching podcasts.   It's ok if you or anyone else doesn't care for specific brand.   We have tons of options to get the news we are looking for. 

5 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

"death star"

@GoatBeard

Sorry,  but you're being way, Way, WAY too literal.

Schtick itself doesn't have to be authentic.    It's the person who delivers the schtick who does.

Dave Letterman doing schtick is authentic.    

Robin Williams doing schtick is authentic.

Pat McAfee doing schtick is authentic.       If you tried to put Pat in a suit and tie and have him do high-lites,  THAT would be inauthentic.    The opposite of schtick.     If someone says to you "kill the light!"  just turn it off.    You don't have to get a gun and shoot it.    Schtick works for Pat McAfee because that's who he is.    It's who he's always been.    If Pat was doing a show of any kind and WASN'T doing schtick,  THAT would be inauthentic, because that's not who he is.     Pat is a fun guy and his schtick comes with him.  

As for ESPN.    I'm not as down on them as some here,  but I understand why so many here are down on them.   Dan Patrick anchored for them for nearly 20 years.     He refers to them as....  "The Mother Ship".    I think it's said with a mix of annoyance and respect.    So I don't think someone calling them the "Death Star" is too far off the mark,  if at all.    It comes with the territory when you're the biggest boy on the block.    People will take shots.    And if "Death Star" is the worst they get,  they should be happy.    It's really not that bad.    Honestly.    And that comes as someone with 30 years in the media, most of them in Sports.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:01 AM, NewColtsFan said:

@GoatBeard

Sorry,  but you're being way, Way, WAY too literal.

Schtick itself doesn't have to be authentic.    It's the person who delivers the schtick who does.

Dave Letterman doing schtick is authentic.    

Robin Williams doing schtick is authentic.

Pat McAfee doing schtick is authentic.       If you tried to put Pat in a suit and tie and have him do high-lites,  THAT would be inauthentic.    The opposite of schtick.     If someone says to you "kill the light!"  just turn it off.    You don't have to get a gun and shoot it.    Schtick works for Pat McAfee because that's who he is.    It's who he's always been.    If Pat was doing a show of any kind and WASN'T doing schtick,  THAT would be inauthentic, because that's not who he is.     Pat is a fun guy and his schtick comes with him.  

As for ESPN.    I'm not as down on them as some here,  but I understand why so many here are down on them.   Dan Patrick anchored for them for nearly 20 years.     He refers to them as....  "The Mother Ship".    I think it's said with a mix of annoyance and respect.    So I don't think someone calling them the "Death Star" is too far off the mark,  if at all.    It comes with the territory when you're the biggest boy on the block.    People will take shots.    And if "Death Star" is the worst they get,  they should be happy.    It's really not that bad.    Honestly.    And that comes as someone with 30 years in the media, most of them in Sports.

McAfees shtick is not authentic at all. Him saying bro every 3 minutes isnt authentic at all. His jokes arent authentic. Him fake laughing at everything isnt authentic. Him over selling every guest and kissing their * is not authentic at all. Him using twitter as the source of his content everyday isnt authentic whatsoever. There is nothing authentic about him ON THIS SHOW. He even admitted to copying his show idea from many others who had podcasts previously. He is essentially a sports clown. Thats it. And he tries way too hard to get laughs. There is nothing revolutionary here. In fact hes easily the worst dude on the show. 

And you all pretend he hasnt been in the public eye for a long time. He acts different than he has previously. Much different. Seems much much dumber than he used to be. I think its an act to try to be funnier, because its hard to be funny and smart. 

Pat is a guy who has always wanted to be an entertainer. And this is the act thats worked for him. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:14 PM, EastStreet said:

I loved ESPN back in the day. Absolutely loved them. I woke up to their shows for a ton of years. And continued to do so until they dropped Mike and Mike. The last ten or so years have been bad. There's a reason why their ratings have dropped off consistently during that time. Their decline started before the whole streaming trend, so that's not it either. 

And no, I don't think it's over the top. They did a lot for sports in the 80s, but I'd say sports has done far better for them lol. And sorry, not going to credit them with NFL players becoming millionaires. ESPN has literally one NFL game a week. It's like saying MTV is responsible for millionaire rock starts. MTV certainly sped things up for some, but Led Zeppelin never needed MTV. But I really don't care about their impact to others making millions. I loved the NFL, CFB, and CBB before ESPN came on line. OTA worked just fine. 

And their programming these days is high on hot takes and outrage, and low on substance. They do everything they can to snuff out competition. I don't blame them or anything, it's business. But I also loved the smell of their desperation when they literally barred any ESPN employees (national or local media) from appearing on his show. Then their was a substantial blow back from the move...... .And then ESPN lied, and tried to deflect... It was hilarious. 

Anyway, if you like ESPN, great. I'm glad you still enjoy. Aside from games, I don't waste a lot of time on them. I'll watch NFL Today from time to time, but that's about it. I expect though that they'll continue to decline as leagues like the NFL go stream direct on other platforms. I care little about the NBA these days, so CFB and CBB will be the only things that really drive me to turn them on. 

I actually dont watch ESPN at all, I just dont oversell my opinions and be all dramatic about everything.

Before they came around sports leagues had been drudging along for 50+ years and the most popular of them were on the "game of the week" plan and most of them got no coverage at all. Now theres like a trillion dollar industry surrounding all of it. Its not a coincidence. 

And again BLAME THE AUDIENCE, THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. ESPN has done what theyve done because First Take was the most popular thing they ever did outside of Sportscenter and Sunday Night Countdown How is that their fault? They are in the TV business. They did exactly what MTV did. MTV sucks because Real World got more eyeballs than music videos and they made more money. Too bad for music videos. 

But ESPN viewership is not down because they are evil and podcasts are better. Most podcasts are horrible and completely boring. Podcasts  and streaming have gained popularity because of cord cutting and people choosing internet access and much cheaper streaming services over much more expensive cable and satellite tv that requires you to sign binding contracts for service. No way is the quality of programming the same. Its just cheaper. Is that responsible for all the decline in viewership? No, but its responsible for most of it. 

Btw East calling them desperate is hilarious. They still get way more eyes than Pat. Pat cant afford the contract to broadcast a single NFL game. I dont think they are desperate. 

On 12/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, life long said:

I used "shtick" to describe how his haters view his content.  Maybe pull out your dictionary and look up comprehension.  BTW that word also as YOU WROTE can mean comic routine. Which clearly Pat wants his show to be funny. Maybe you should comprehend the definition before you misunderstand it.

Right. I cant read or understand words. But I had to point out what stick meant to you because you obviously didnt know. 

I bet I read more books every month than you have in your entire life. And Im not a voracious reader. But I am very veracious when it comes to my opinions.

Go ahead and look those two words up.

Btw, hes not doing a comedy routine lifelong. Hes doing a show. I watched him do comedy and that wasnt very good either.

His color commentary was as bad as anything Ive ever heard.

You know what hes actually best at? Wrestling. And he could probably make more money doing that because he would likely be a big star. Everybody connected with the WWE raves about his wrestling talent. Jim Cornette said he was probably the most talented guy hed ever seen just walk off the street and get into a ring. 

Why?

Its an industry built around being fake. And the faker the better. Pats really good at pretending. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:10 AM, jvan1973 said:

They did what they did to make money.    They weren't doing anyone any favors other than themselves.   There is nothing wrong with that.    Espn is nothing like they were when they started.   Most news shows aren't.   That's why a lot of people have moved on to watching podcasts.   It's ok if you or anyone else doesn't care for specific brand.   We have tons of options to get the news we are looking for. 

Thats just not true. Without ESPN players are making much much less money and dont have the opportunity to do podcasts in the first place. Its not just about the money they made for themselves. They went from a single broadcasted game every week to every game being on every single week, somewhere, in less time than had existed before they came around. Thats not a coincidence. Not only did they give the entire industry exactly what it needed to foster growth, they created and built a national following for a ton of other businesses to sell products too. Every company connected to professional sports has benefitted from their presence. 

The players owe them at a bare minimum, respect for what theyve done for sports as a whole. 

And this is my biggest problem with people now. They have ZERO appreciation for anything that didnt directly benefit them in the last 5 minutes and cant seem to be objective about things they like or dislike anymore. Everything they like is so important and revolutionary and everything they dont like is worthless and evil. Its just tired and lacking necessary levity.

Pat McAfee is nothing like ESPN and its disrespectful to compare the two. He has a popular podcast. 

He hasnt even donated as much as they have to charity. So why is noone goving credit to ESPNs charitable work? 

But hes sports jesus and ESPN is the dark lord?

This is gonna be my last response to this because I dont want to debate 5 people at a time and its taken over the thread again.

9 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

I actually dont watch ESPN at all, I just dont oversell my opinions and be all dramatic about everything.

Before they came around sports leagues had been drudging along for 50+ years and the most popular of them were on the "game of the week" plan and most of them got no coverage at all. Now theres like a trillion dollar industry surrounding all of it. Its not a coincidence. 

And again BLAME THE AUDIENCE, THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. ESPN has done what theyve done because First Take was the most popular thing they ever did outside of Sportscenter and Sunday Night Countdown How is that their fault? They are in the TV business. They did exactly what MTV did. MTV sucks because Real World got more eyeballs than music videos and they made more money. Too bad for music videos. 

But ESPN viewership is not down because they are evil and podcasts are better. Most podcasts are horrible and completely boring. Podcasts  and streaming have gained popularity because of cord cutting and people choosing internet access and much cheaper streaming services over much more expensive cable and satellite tv that requires you to sign binding contracts for service. No way is the quality of programming the same. Its just cheaper. Is that responsible for all the decline in viewership? No, but its responsible for most of it. 

Btw East calling them desperate is hilarious. They still get way more eyes than Pat. Pat cant afford the contract to broadcast a single NFL game. I dont think they are desperate. 

ESPN ratings started tanking before the cord cutting trend. You can see their trend easily since 2010. There was not all the choices in streaming in those years. That's only a trend for the last 3-4 years. 

overtime2.png?ssl=1

I'd say banning all their employees from his show smelled absolutely desperate. He had regular ESPN guests (local and national) all the time. If he's such a nit, why ban them. 

Anyway, for someone that doesn't watch ESPN at all, you seem pretty passionate about defending them lol... And why wouldn't ESPN get more views lol.. They're included in every major cable package, and also in their parent company's (Disney) Disney+ service. Meanwhile, McAfee is an independent, bringing in 54M views a month, and IIRC, the most on youtube... 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN ratings started tanking before the cord cutting trend. You can see their trend easily since 2010. There was not all the choices in streaming in those years. That's only a trend for the last 3-4 years. 

overtime2.png?ssl=1

I'd say banning all their employees from his show smelled absolutely desperate. He had regular ESPN guests (local and national) all the time. If he's such a nit, why ban them. 

Anyway, for someone that doesn't watch ESPN at all, you seem pretty passionate about defending them lol... And why wouldn't ESPN get more views lol.. They're included in every major cable package, and also in their parent company's (Disney) Disney+ service. Meanwhile, McAfee is an independent, bringing in 54M views a month, and IIRC, the most on youtube... 

Since Disney took over their network back in 2013 it has went crumbling, if you do not believe in their politics you are done = See Mike Golic Sr, Colin Cowherd, even Skip lol. They took away chat on the boards back in 2013 because people had different views and the Mods were like we will just do away with chat. Before Disney took over from 2009-2012 the chats were entertaining and so funny lmao . I was there so I know. I made friends on the Colts game day threads in those years. ESPN was great when I was growing up, Mike and Mike was the best show by a mile but they stuck to sports during the 80's and 90's too. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Since Disney took over their network back in 2013 it has went crumbling, if you do not believe in their politics you are done = See Mike Golic Sr, Colin Cowherd, even Skip lol. They took away chat on the boards back in 2013 because people had different views and the Mods were like we will just do away with chat. Before Disney took over from 2009-2012 the chats were entertaining and so funny lmao . I was there so I know. I made friends on the Colts game day threads in those years. ESPN was great when I was growing up, Mike and Mike was the best show by a mile but they stuck to sports during the 80's and 90's too. 

They've actually made attempts to bring CC back IIRC. I think they are certainly aware of some of the attitudes that have caused dwindling viewership. They've gotten rid of a few more political voices, but at the same time, it's hard to get everyone back in the barn once the doors were blasted open. I still like some of the folks, mostly the x-players, and folks like Suzy and Dianna Russini. Dianna was on PM's show before the ban from time to time, as well as some of the x-players. All the shock and opinion personalities, I can do without. Overall, they just lack substance these days. They spend far too much time on sensational and political stuff, and ignore the Xs and Os for the most part. 

They've actually made attempts to bring CC back IIRC. I think they are certainly aware of some of the attitudes that have caused dwindling viewership. They've gotten rid of a few more political voices, but at the same time, it's hard to get everyone back in the barn once the doors were blasted open. I still like some of the folks, mostly the x-players, and folks like Suzy and Dianna Russini. Dianna was on PM's show before the ban from time to time, as well as some of the x-players. All the shock and opinion personalities, I can do without. Overall, they just lack substance these days. They spend far too much time on sensational and political stuff, and ignore the Xs and Os for the most part. 

I still watch a little but not near as much as I used too. 1st take is entertaining but a lot of times I am a sleep when it comes on. I have nothing against Stephen A, he is outspoken and does know sports but ESPN was great when they had Mike and Mike in the morning.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still watch a little but not near as much as I used too. 1st take is entertaining but a lot of times I am a sleep when it comes on. I have nothing against Stephen A, he is outspoken and does know sports but ESPN was great when they Mike and Mike in the morning.

I never watch FT. Every once in a while if something big happens in sports, I'll turn it on, but overall, just no interest. Nothing against Stephen A, but I don't find it entertaining, enlightening, or educational. Just a bunch of guys purposefully picking opposite extremes and arguing about it. More acting than sports IMO. 

The only shows I watch these days are NFL Live, which I watch a lot less of these days, and College Game Day. CGD has kept sensible and the same format, so I'll continue to watch. I watch Fox's Game Day too though. Outside of those two shows, it's just games. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I never watch FT. Every once in a while if something big happens in sports, I'll turn it on, but overall, just no interest. Nothing against Stephen A, but I don't find it entertaining, enlightening, or educational. Just a bunch of guys purposefully picking opposite extremes and arguing about it. More acting than sports IMO. 

The only shows I watch these days are NFL Live, which I watch a lot less of these days, and College Game Day. CGD has kept sensible and the same format, so I'll continue to watch. I watch Fox's Game Day too though. Outside of those two shows, it's just games. 

Yeah Mike and Mike ruled and NFL Live is great.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

overtime2.png?ssl=1

Alright East, you provoked me! So everybody dont blame ME........you all should know by now I love to argue! So blame Eaststreet.

But for real, this is the last one.......

By your own chart, their viewership didnt really start to decline on cable until around 2014 - 2015. What youre trying to pass off as a HUGE decline is initially just a very small fluctuation. Then it falls off a cliff starting around 2014. And this chart basically applies to every channel on cable.

The popularity of Netflix and Amazon Prime basically started cord cutting and both had been around for quite awhile by that point. I cut my cord and havent had cable since I got prime and netflix in 2012.

House of Cards came out in like 2013-2014 and Netflix really started to blow. Most people credit that show with putting them on the map.

Sling started in 2015.

Stranger Things and The Crown came to Netflix in 2016 

Thats when cord cutting kicked into overdrive.

But it actually all started about 2010. I had friends that cut their cord as soon as Youtube became popular. And they were the people that talked me into it by 2012. 

Regardless of that chart.....

Pat currently has 1.58m youtube subscribers, INCLUDING ME! 

ESPN has over 17m ESPN+ subscribers, along with 8m on youtube, PLUS whatever they get on the network itself thru cable. Thats PAID subs, not FREE views. 

So suggesting nobody is watching ESPN and people are fleeing to run into the arms of Pat is just misleading at best. ESPN is still MASSIVE.

Im really not passionate about defending ESPN. I just get tired of people demonizing media companies and trying to convince me these podcasts are so good. 99% of them are just people trying to avoid having to actually work for a living.

I listen to a couple religiously...... Joe Budden, Marc Maron, Bill Burr....few others that are more based off specific interests. Usually at work. 

But most of them Ive heard are just not that good.

You all are sitting here criticizing my opinion, but deep down you all know its true. Everybody keeps saying "I get it, its not for everyone" but then you argue with somebody when they say why they dont like it, like you really dont "get it" at all.

You just find him more funny than I do. And thats really what it boils down to. And thats ok. 

13 minutes ago, tvturner said:

What a shock that a majority of this forum doesn't like his show...

I personally think he's funny and enjoy his personality. I will always take personality and charisma and honesty over "professionalism" in journalism. No one is professional anymore anyway and always has an agenda to throw out there. I watch people on youtube over people on tv now anyway. They are as much if not more qualified to talk about their teams and they tell the honest truth. The only stuff I'll watch on tv regarding football is colin cowherd and good morning football on nfl network. People like Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless and the such are complete dinosaurs and few people respect their opinions anymore.

All the shows also talk about the same topics. The LA Lakers, Aaron Rodgers, Odell, Tom Brady, Bill B., & a few of the top tier NBA players 

47 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Alright East, you provoked me! So everybody dont blame ME........you all should know by now I love to argue! So blame Eaststreet.

But for real, this is the last one.......

By your own chart, their viewership didnt really start to decline on cable until around 2014 - 2015. What youre trying to pass off as a HUGE decline is initially just a very small fluctuation. Then it falls off a cliff starting around 2014. And this chart basically applies to every channel on cable.

The popularity of Netflix and Amazon Prime basically started cord cutting and both had been around for quite awhile by that point. I cut my cord and havent had cable since I got prime and netflix in 2012.

House of Cards came out in like 2013-2014 and Netflix really started to blow. Most people credit that show with putting them on the map.

Sling started in 2015.

Stranger Things and The Crown came to Netflix in 2016 

Thats when cord cutting kicked into overdrive.

But it actually all started about 2010. I had friends that cut their cord as soon as Youtube became popular. And they were the people that talked me into it by 2012. 

Regardless of that chart.....

Pat currently has 1.58m youtube subscribers, INCLUDING ME! 

ESPN has over 17m ESPN+ subscribers, along with 8m on youtube, PLUS whatever they get on the network itself thru cable. Thats PAID subs, not FREE views. 

So suggesting nobody is watching ESPN and people are fleeing to run into the arms of Pat is just misleading at best. ESPN is still MASSIVE.

Im really not passionate about defending ESPN. I just get tired of people demonizing media companies and trying to convince me these podcasts are so good. 99% of them are just people trying to avoid having to actually work for a living.

I listen to a couple religiously...... Joe Budden, Marc Maron, Bill Burr....few others that are more based off specific interests. Usually at work. 

But most of them Ive heard are just not that good.

You all are sitting here criticizing my opinion, but deep down you all know its true. Everybody keeps saying "I get it, its not for everyone" but then you argue with somebody when they say why they dont like it, like you really dont "get it" at all.

You just find him more funny than I do. And thats really what it boils down to. And thats ok. 

I've never suggested nobody is watching ESPN. What I've said is that they have consistently declined since 2011, which is where they peaked. I've added another chart below that shows the longer look. It shows growth up to 2011, then decline since. So the fact growth ended is a huge factor in 2011, and the fact decline started, and has continued, is even more telling.

Live TV options for cord cutters really didn't even start till 2015 (slingTV) and was slow going. Netflix was nice (I had it very early before the the VOD), but really wasn't a cable alternative for any sports fans. 

And I'm not really comparing the whole of ESPN to Pat's show. Pat is a one man band, with a podcast. Not a network with 50 different shows. First Take, the stations flagship program, was getting about 400k IRRC per episode. Pat is getting 150k just via youtube. That's incredibly impressive for a one man band, who is not on cable, when comparing ESPN's most popular show. And his following is growing, while ESPN's in general, is declining. And if cable companies continues to peel off channels in their basic packages, ESPN will continue to take hits. There's a reason why Disney is trying to boost ESPN households by attaching it to Disney streaming services. 

59bc24ad38d20d41188b689a?width=1136&form

31 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

All the shows also talk about the same topics. The LA Lakers, Aaron Rodgers, Odell, Tom Brady, Bill B., & a few of the top tier NBA players 

Yup. There's a long history of bias criticism going back years. I don't see that changing. They're trying to appeal to the twitter trending folks lol....  For NFL though, I tune into the NFL Network more than anything else these days. Much better football talk and broader discussion. 

And don't forget the Cowboys lol.... I thought all that talk would decline with Skip left. Nope.

Archived