Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ehlinger now QB2

Colt.45

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s the exact same issue that 95 percent of the other teams in the league have. Very rarely does QB1 go down and QB2 Keeps the team on the same trajectory as QB1

Exactly. Going by this summer, you could have sworn that wasn't the case lol

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Fixed it for you

Yep. I thought this was just about time. From the very start of training camp all the signs have been that Frank really really REALLY likes Ehlinger and really doesn't trust Eason. Even when Eason was outplaying Ehlinger in pre-season he was losing ground... no idea for the reason. Maybe the difference in meetings and as leaders is really that huge. 

It probably came down to defense recognition and on the field decision making.  A QB can't accumulate the stats that Ehlinger did at TX without knowing where to throw the ball and when...and knowing when to scramble.  The only questions probably are could he ramp up his processing time for the NFL (which he can display in practice), and will his physical limitations keep his ceiling too low. (we'll see)

I maybe biased because I have followed Sam Ehrlinger since high school. This kid eats sleeps thinks dreams football... Longhorn football. He was a star at Westlake which produced Brees and Folers. In his first start as a Freshman QB for the Longhorn he had to lead the Longhorns on a 90+ yard in the USC coliseum for the winning drive in the 4th Quarter. You can see it on YouTube. Vince Young was on the sideline and he was nervous but ELATED when he saw Erlinger drive it all the way to the winning touchdown. He mixed passes, scrambles, runs.... NO PANIC.  I think Ballard saw this in Erlinger and Carson maybe history in a few years. No Guarantees but the kid is special. He will strengthen his arm, that I am sure. 

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I maybe biased because I have followed Sam Ehrlinger since high school. This kid eats sleeps thinks dreams football... Longhorn football. He was a star at Westlake which produced Brees and Folers. In his first start as a Freshman QB for the Longhorn he had to lead the Longhorns on a 90+ yard in the USC coliseum for the winning drive in the 4th Quarter. You can see it on YouTube. Vince Young was on the sideline and he was nervous but ELATED when he saw Erlinger drive it all the way to the winning touchdown. He mixed passes, scrambles, runs.... NO PANIC.  I think Ballard saw this in Erlinger and Carson maybe history in a few years. No Guarantees but the kid is special. He will strengthen his arm, that I am sure. 

I mean Ballard himself said this kid has “it”.  I don’t expect him to become a starter but as backup?  Yeah I could see that.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I mean Ballard himself said this kid has “it”.  I don’t expect him to become a starter but as backup?  Yeah I could see that.

Same here. I think the "it" stuff is a bit of fluff, but I think Sam has a lot of things you need in a backup, not necessarily what want in a starter. I'd be very happy for a functional backup at that draft position. I just don't want it to be another wasted pick that we abandoned like Eason.

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Same here. I think the "it" stuff is a bit of fluff, but I think Sam has a lot of things you need in a backup, not necessarily what want in a starter. I'd be very happy for a functional backup at that draft position. I just don't want it to be another wasted pick that we abandoned like Eason.

I get Eason's pick looks like a waste but I still like the philosophy behind the pick, I always liked the draft philosophy of continuing drafting mid to late round QBs even when you have a great starter, because you never know when you will get a hit. It's the same thing Belichick has done through the years. They drafted 11 QBs over 19 years Most between the 3rd and 7th round excluding Garrapolo who was a second but got some great backups along the way in Cassel, Brissett. Which they flipped those players for higher picks and assets. 2nd round for 2nd rounder for Jimmy G, Cassel was a 7th rounder and got a 2nd, Then we all know the Dorsett trade.

It's not a perfect system, but the rotation makes sure you don't end up with a Curtis Painter at Backup, not to hate on Polian but he only drafted 2 QBs after Manning (the other being Sorgi).

I totally get why people don't like this method though

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I get Eason's pick looks like a waste but I still like the philosophy behind the pick, I always liked the draft philosophy of continuing drafting mid to late round QBs even when you have a great starter, because you never know when you will get a hit. It's the same thing Belichick has done through the years. They drafted 11 QBs over 19 years Most between the 3rd and 7th round excluding Garrapolo who was a second but got some great backups along the way in Cassel, Brissett. Which they flipped those players for higher picks and assets. 2nd round for 2nd rounder for Jimmy G, Cassel was a 7th rounder and got a 2nd, Then we all know the Dorsett trade.

It's not a perfect system, but the rotation makes sure you don't end up with a Curtis Painter at Backup, not to hate on Polian but he only drafted 2 QBs after Manning (the other being Sorgi).

I totally get why people don't like this method though

If we had Bill, I'd be a fan of the strategy. He can pull that off. Not many can, or have.

And let's not forget, Bill also had Tom Brady, who was very healthy, though most of those years.... 

And when one had to play, he was great about adjusting things. 

And even the two successes (Jimmy G and JB), aren't setting the world on fire.

Purely fact, or purely fiction, or somewhere in between... the handling of Eason seemed strange, bizarre, and somewhat of a clown show. We love him, we love him, he wins the QB2 job, when needed we give him difficult plays targeted to a WR on a timing route vs the best DB in the league, then we totally demote him while elevating a practice squad dude... And then we still wanted to keep him after we cut him... 

I'm just waiting on the same thing to happen to Sam lol... 

Archived