Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rousseau

TimetobringDfence!

4 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I took so much heat when I kept saying we will regret not taking Rousseau. He is tearing it up in Buffalo. Looking like DROY...

He definitely looked good.  Time will tell.   have to give it another year or two before we know which choice was best.  @BlueShoe was clamoring for ojulari predraft and he may be right at this time too.  

37 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I took so much heat when I kept saying we will regret not taking Rousseau. He is tearing it up in Buffalo. Looking like DROY...

I said something similar when I said I would of taken Rousseau and Basham over Paye and Dayo (the Bills picked both of them later in the 1st and 2nd round, and they play a 4-3 like us). Rousseau is actually a pretty cool guy. Very nice and respectable with high character like Paye. He only played one year because his mother is a nurse and she suggested he didn't play because of covid, so he had only one year of tape and was very raw. Seems he is the real deal early on though. Basham hasn't played a lot because of depth, but he is pro-ready to balance Rousseau.

Ballard needs to re-evaluate his d-line scouts honestly if Paye and Dayo don't work out and possibly making a firing.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said something similar when I said I would of taken Rousseau and Basham over Paye and Dayo (the Bills picked both of them later in the 1st and 2nd round, and they play a 4-3 like us). Rousseau is actually a pretty cool guy. Very nice and respectable with high character like Paye. He only played one year because his mother is a nurse and she suggested he didn't play because of covid, so he had only one year of tape and was very raw. Seems he is the real deal early on though. Basham hasn't played a lot because of depth, but he is pro-ready to balance Rousseau.

Ballard needs to re-evaluate his d-line scouts honestly if Paye and Dayo don't work out and possibly making a firing.

I'm not saying they won't, Paye was playing impact football when he was on the field. Hopefully Dayo is the same player post recovery...We put to a lot eggs in the rehab basket this season, Ballard needs Fisher or Dayo to really have an impact by year's in end or it doesn't look good... Campbell is screaming bust...

The Bills D-line is loaded and that interior pressure with all those D-line picks adds to the effectiveness of Rousseau and Basham. However the fact that they’re getting playing time on a loaded D-line and producing should tell us something.

Again, Polian values college production with athleticism and Ballard values RAS way too much, IMO. 

Let’s however not forget the strength of the Bills team - Josh Allen plus aggressive FA moves to get Diggs and now Sanders, and key secondary pieces too. Like Peyton had Freeney and Mathis, the Bills team is built to play ahead as the game goes on with quality depth at all levels of D.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Bills D-line is loaded and that interior pressure with all those D-line picks adds to the effectiveness of Rousseau and Basham. However the fact that they’re getting playing time on a loaded D-line and producing should tell us something.

Again, Polian values college production with athleticism and Ballard values RAS way too much, IMO. 

Let’s however not forget the strength of the Bills team - Josh Allen plus aggressive FA moves to get Diggs and now Sanders, and key secondary pieces too. Like Peyton had Freeney and Mathis, the Bills team is built to play ahead as the game goes on with quality depth at all levels of D.

Diggs wasn't a FA signing. They traded a 1st rounder + some later round picks to get Diggs.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I kind of agree with this. Just because they have the traits doesn’t mean they will all of a suffer produce in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There have been a lot of roookies that have looked good the colts passed on and took someone else. I do think Bills play a 3-4 though.

No, they play a 4-3 front under Frazier, Cover 2 concepts at a high level, he coached with Dungy.

He has excellent safety play with Poyer and Hyde like we had with Sanders and Bethea for a short time

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is a good point about the scouts. Something isn’t right these dline players not producing. Either they are not evaluating right  or it’s the coaches. Turay would be great if he wasn’t battling injuries all the time. We will see if Lewis has a good game tonight with more playing time with Paye out.

Only 1 guy, that has the patience to play against the Cover 2, dinking and dunking and picking his spots, he already has 7 SBs. The other team equipped with a balanced attack in the NFC, The Cowboys. 

Bucs vs Bills in the SB will have so many story lines but all of them would revolve around the Bills being the pinata for Brady when he was with the Pats. So would Cowboys vs Bills, a flashback to the 90s.

However, the way the refs have been calling Cowboys games (letting a lot of things go for the Cowboys, IMO), I would not be surprised with a Bucs vs Cowboys NFCCG. Ratings gold. Just like Peyton and the Colts opened at New England in 2004 after their 2003 SB winning year only to meet them up in the playoffs again. 

AFCCG - Bills vs Ravens or Chargers, IMO.

Spags, his defense's charm wears out with time and the Chiefs have far too many holes defensively to make it to the AFCCG, IMO. At least the Ravens have the history with their defensive coaching to turn things around defensively. 

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

His college tape honestly didn't seem like he would translate to the NFL well. He always had the freakish build, but struggled really badly rushing off the edge against OT's and only did well when he aligned inside against OG's.

He's made a few plays and shown up on the stat sheet, but he's still not winning off the edge on a regular basis. His 2 sacks in the Miami game came from him dropping into coverage, then crashing down when Brissett tried to scramble, and his guy for some reason stopping blocking him when Brissett was scrambling again.

His sack against the Bears was just a good, solid bull-rush and he ran his guy back into the backfield, which was good to see. The INT was a great play as well and his WR background helps in a situation like that, but it was also a terrible throw by Mahomes that he never should have thrown.

I'm not saying that Rousseau hasn't looked good, but I think he's far from DPOY talk at this moment. He's taken advantage of a few lucky plays, but it's a lot of the same thing we saw at Miami. He's filling up the stat sheet, but he also got 2 of his 3 sacks unblocked. We'll see how he does the rest of the season and if he's able to win consistently at the line of scrimmage. I just don't think the lucky breaks will lead to sustainable production throughout the the whole season.

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not saying that Rousseau hasn't looked good, but I think he's far from DPOY talk at this moment. He's taken advantage of a few lucky plays, but it's a lot of the same thing we saw at Miami. He's filling up the stat sheet, but he also got 2 of his 3 sacks unblocked. We'll see how he does the rest of the season and if he's able to win consistently at the line of scrimmage. I just don't think the lucky breaks will lead to sustainable production throughout the the whole season.

DPOY is knee-jerk, I agree. He does benefit, like I said, from the high draft picks on the DL the Bills have assembled. The quality depth reduces exposure for extended periods of time with no one playing more than 55% of the snaps on the DL, not a luxury that most teams have. He does look like a Shaun Philips (OLB) / JPP type of lengthy guy at the edge capable of key deflections or disruptions in short bursts. I'd take that over what Banogu, Turay, Lewis types are producing, just my opinion.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I mean the guy had a lot of question marks. there were questions on his maturity and if he could act like a pro, then at his pro day he performed terribly literally Ryan Fitzpatrick had a better vertical. I'm guessing he wasn't on our Board due to the maturity concerns as Ballard said that he has learned from the mistake of drafting players that were pure talent with questionable motivation.

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I mean the guy had a lot of question marks. there were questions on his maturity and if he could act like a pro, then at his pro day he performed terribly literally Ryan Fitzpatrick had a better vertical. I'm guessing he wasn't on our Board due to the maturity concerns as Ballard said that he has learned from the mistake of drafting players that were pure talent with questionable motivation.

The problem is we are missing out on players that can take us to the next level. Ballard needs to take a risk here and there if this team is going to take the next step. Right now we are a average team without enough playmakers on both sides that can have us competing with teams like the Bills. 

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The problem is we are missing out on players that can take us to the next level. Ballard needs to take a risk here and there if this team is going to take the next step. Right now we are a average team without enough playmakers on both sides that can have us competing with teams like the Bills. 

I tend to disagree, drafting players with motivation/maturity red flags are gonna bite you in the butt, more than them paying off. Not to mention Rousseau's pro day indicated he wasn't in the best shape after taking a year off.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I tend to disagree, drafting players with motivation/maturity red flags are gonna bite you in the butt, more than them paying off. Not to mention Rousseau's pro day indicated he wasn't in the best shape after taking a year off.

Once in a while taking a risk is ok. Of course you don’t want 90% of your roster like that. Bur if Ballard has built a strong locker room they can handle a guy like that and maybe he’ll thrn teach their potential. Right now it seems like we are missing a certain type of player that plays with a edge to them. 

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We won’t be deciding about Paye and Dayo for 3-5 years.    No need to get too worked up just yet. 

19 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We’re five weeks into a rookie season.   Why are you making arguments like we know everything we need to know?   Rousseau is going to be great, and Paye is going to be another DE bust. 

Even if this eventually became true, it’s way, Way, WAY too soon for anyone to know anything.    A season is a marathon, not a sprint.    A year ago Blackman was in the running for DROY after 11 weeks.  Then the last 5-6 weeks things changed.   Things happen, stuff happens.

Paye looked very good in the pre-season and suddenly posters here were predicting 9-11 sacks this season.   Then, a hamstring changed all that.   It’s a looooong season.  Give it time. 

Archived