Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what happened to our o line???

bleed blue4life

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Good QBs make enough time. Crappy QBs need the 'time' excuse. If you're a QB who defenses notice won't get bothered by the line issues, it does something subconsciously to those defenses. Andrew Luck? Time didnt matter, he was doing what he needed to do regardless of protection. The baseline is if a QB needs a perfect line to get to the playoffs, he doesn't really belong there.

If the time didn’t matter how come Andrew Luck’s career was significantly shortened from being injured so much from all the hits he took?  Having a great QB who can make things happen does you no good if they are out due to injury and if the Colts don’t do a better job protecting Wentz he’s going to be out injured much sooner than later.  

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did you watch the game?  If you did you would have noticed Peyton Manning and his prime offense could have been behind that line today and done about the same.  They simply didn’t play well.  How about rather than trying hot takes or pushing agendas let’s acknowledge what happened and didn’t happen.

I said the line wasn't great but if you think a great line was the cure to all our ills then good for you, i don't buy it though.

Before the season started, there was an element of fans who said line issues wouldn't be as big a deal with Wentz as it was with #17 because Carson is 'mobile'. How'd the coaches help the LT? Oh wait, the RT was the problem. Or was it....

I'm not putting that loss on the oline alone, that was a team beating. There wasn't a segment of that team that came ready to play, line included.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If the time didn’t matter how come Andrew Luck’s career was significantly shortened from being injured so much from all the hits he took?  Having a great QB who can make things happen does you no good if they are out due to injury and if the Colts don’t do a better job protecting Wentz he’s going to be out injured much sooner than later.  

I'm going to go watch the Eagles game when i get a chance, i need to see how awful their line was. I'm only partly joking. The Colts were not prepared to play football yesterday. Blame the coaches first and foremost before any other segment of the team (line, defense, secondary, etc).

Another thing while you're here....this was always going to happen, under Reich, this team starts slow and gets 'good' around the quarter season mark. Nothing in the off season suggested this would be different. Injuries to the line, the QB, the #1 receiver.

I thought this would be the year the AFCS became football's toughest out. After one week, I realize that thought was lined with the stench of blind hope

48 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I would say you win in the trenches as u seen we got destroyed on both sides of the ball , 

Great trench play can help but it's simply not the only facet of a successful team. It takes more than that. That team yesterday looked exactly like a team  that's had the offseason we've had i.e. injuries all around, and the foolishness of the COVID issues. That was a team that didn't look prepared.

They'll be better in a few weeks but they need all the time together that they can get. The missing time showed yesterday, big time. And it wasn't just the trenches.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Great trench play can help but it's simply not the only facet of a successful team. It takes more than that. That team yesterday looked exactly like a team  that's had the offseason we've had i.e. injuries all around, and the foolishness of the COVID issues. That was a team that didn't look prepared.

They'll be better in a few weeks but they need all the time together that they can get. The missing time showed yesterday, big time. And it wasn't just the trenches.

There was no excuse for the defense to look like that. They were pretty healthy all camp. Offense yes was going to be rusty and understandable. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Reich wasnt all that willing to blame the line. He mentioned protection calls and checking in and out of bad plays. Wonder how many errors carson made?

Wentz did admit there was some he should of called better. That will get better as the season goes on. This might be a throw away year to give this offense time to gel. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Reich wasnt all that willing to blame the line. He mentioned protection calls and checking in and out of bad plays. Wonder how many errors carson made?

He wasn't going to put them on  the skewer but the protection calls and checking in and out of plays? Yeah, that's part of what i mean when i say i'm not sure the o-line was the sole problem. 

Anyhow, many had the colts going 0-5 or at best 2-3 to start the season. Not shocking that they got cooked by a Seahawks team that knows how to start the season off HOT. I'll stick my neck out now and say this....barring injuries, if these two squads played in week 8, i'd have no problems giving the Colts the W. Under Reich, Indy just tends to be a better Nov/Dec team. (Wait, reality doesn't work this way?)

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There was no excuse for the defense to look like that. They were pretty healthy all camp. Offense yes was going to be rusty and understandable. 

The defense? Leonard missed most of camp. He was abject yesterday yet somehow i think Okereke was even worse. Pass rush didnt land etc. Honestly I thought the defense played well in the 2nd half. Giving up 28 to Seattle isn't unexpected at all. If only the offense held their end of the bargain....

The defense? Leonard missed most of camp. He was abject yesterday yet somehow i think Okereke was even worse. Pass rush didnt land etc. Honestly I thought the defense played well in the 2nd half. Giving up 28 to Seattle isn't unexpected at all. If only the offense held their end of the bargain....

Having  one defensive player miss some camp is no excuse.   I am tired of using the excuse well they played better the second half. Reich needs to start getting these players a few quarters of preseason so tackling isn’t so bad.

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Why Creafe more problems moving smith lol.

I'm not advocating a move until I see more of JD at RT, but, IMO, Smith is the kind of RT that wins you regular season games but is not really what you want for a perennial contender.  But he would probably be an excellent G for that.  He is a RT for your rebuilding years but I think he needs to slide inside when Glow leaves for the Oline to take the next step.  And he can help out Kelly.  Let Fisher handle LT, then have the TE help out JD at RT

Not sure that the salary cap structure allows Smith to now play anything other than RT tho.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Having  one defensive player miss some camp is no excuse.  

Outside of Buckner, that one guy happens to be the most important player on the defense. 

Oh, and again I reiterate, the defense wasn't great but they held Seattle to 28. On the opening day of the season. In my books, that's fair. Not great, not woeful. Fair. When they were holding the Seattle offense to punts in the first four drives of the second half, what'd the offense do with all that?

Outside of Buckner, that one guy happens to be the most important player on the defense. 

Oh, and again I reiterate, the defense wasn't great but they held Seattle to 28. On the opening day of the season. In my books, that's fair. Not great, not woeful. Fair. When they were holding the Seattle offense to punts in the first four drives of the second half, what'd the offense do with all that?

Leonard should of had some preseason snaps. This happens every game day one. Defensive players need more snaps then offensive players in preseason. Offense had 2 oline and QB miss camp. The defense having Leonard missing a couple weeks was not a excuse. The entire defense was horrible.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not advocating a move until I see more of JD at RT, but, IMO, Smith is the kind of RT that wins you regular season games but is not really what you want for a perennial contender.  But he would probably be an excellent G for that.  He is a RT for your rebuilding years but I think he needs to slide inside when Glow leaves for the Oline to take the next step.  And he can help out Kelly.  Let Fisher handle LT, then have the TE help out JD at RT

Not sure that the salary cap structure allows Smith to now play anything other than RT tho.

There is nothing that says Davenport would be a good RT.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz did admit there was some he should of called better. That will get better as the season goes on. This might be a throw away year to give this offense time to gel. 

Wentz doesnt have time for a throw away year. Whatever hes responsible for needs to be improved by the next game. Hes been in this system too long. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Leonard should of had some preseason snaps. This happens every game day one. Defensive players need more snaps then offensive players in preseason. Offense had 2 oline and QB miss camp. The defense having Leonard missing a couple weeks was not a excuse. The entire defense was horrible.

They held Seattle to seven points in the 2nd half. Now maybe Seattle didn't put their foot on the gas, who knows....but the defense stiffened up the the 2nd half, and the offense did diddly poo. All around it was a poor showing. It's the hope that kills. The hype breeds hope and then reality hits like a full sized U-Haul truck. It'll be better, the question is whether it'll be better by week 4/5 when we'll need to make a run to end the season.

Just now, krunk said:

Wentz doesnt have time for a throw away year. Whatever hes responsible for needs to be improved by the next game. Hes been in this system too long. 

When I say throw away I mean not making the playoffs but we see this offense get better every week. The time it takes them to get on the same page may take too long to make the playoffs. What we need to see is things getting better and the offense getting better every week where we can say ok Wentz is the guy. Then next season we have a good foundation.

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He wasn't going to put them on  the skewer but the protection calls and checking in and out of plays? Yeah, that's part of what i mean when i say i'm not sure the o-line was the sole problem. 

Anyhow, many had the colts going 0-5 or at best 2-3 to start the season. Not shocking that they got cooked by a Seahawks team that knows how to start the season off HOT. I'll stick my neck out now and say this....barring injuries, if these two squads played in week 8, i'd have no problems giving the Colts the W. Under Reich, Indy just tends to be a better Nov/Dec team. (Wait, reality doesn't work this way?)

I think Seattle gave us their best shot. I dont have a problem believing we would beat them in a 2nd meeting

Just now, Colt.45 said:

They held Seattle to seven points in the 2nd half. Now maybe Seattle didn't put their foot on the gas, who knows....but the defense stiffened up the the 2nd half, and the offense did diddly poo. All around it was a poor showing. It's the hope that kills. The hype breeds hope and then reality hits like a full sized U-Haul truck. It'll be better, the question is whether it'll be better by week 4/5 when we'll need to make a run to end the season.

How about starting the game strong instead of like crap on defense. This same thing happened last season. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There is nothing that says Davenport would be a good RT.

He doesn't have to be that good.  He just needs to be better than Smith was yesterday.  The real improvement from the move would be to improve 2 of the 5 positions, RG and helping C.  If we can stay equal at RT with the help of a chipping TE, then its an advancement.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

When I say throw away I mean not making the playoffs but we see this offense get better every week. The time it takes them to get on the same page may take too long to make the playoffs. What we need to see is things getting better and the offense getting better every week where we can say ok Wentz is the guy. Then next season we have a good foundation.

Rivers came in here under similar circumstance. Rivers is the better player but im still saying it shouldnt take the entire year with an expectation we dont make the playoffs. Im expecting much better after about 5 games or so.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Rivers came in here under similar circumstance. Rivers is the better player but im still saying it shouldnt take the entire year with an expectation we dont make the playoffs. Im expecting much better after about 5 games or so.

Rivers nor half the oline missed almost all of camp.  

Jeff Saturday was on with Kevin Bowen this morning. He said it’s disrespectful to the game to think 2 oline guys and your QB can miss most of camp and not be effected. 
This defense needed to help this offense out and they didn’t. Put them in a hole right away. 

I have a feeling most of the offensive problems yesterday were communication issues and just learning new team mates. Then the other 30% was Reich.

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Rivers nor half the oline missed almost all of camp.  

Jeff Saturday was on with Kevin Bowen this morning. He said it’s disrespectful to the game to think 2 oline guys and your QB can miss most of camp and not be effected. 
This defense needed to help this offense out and they didn’t. Put them in a hole right away. 

I have a feeling most of the offensive problems yesterday were communication issues and just learning new team mates. Then the other 30% was Reich.

Should not take a whole year to get in sync for what was missed in preseason. Luck had this exact problem and it took him about 5 to 6 games to get in sync with his OL in terms of communication and everything else.

Archived