Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tevi out for the season

CR91

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have had kids get released from the rehabilitation people but not their doctors 

I'm sure teams have some "pull", but you also have to think there are some pretty defined things a player has to pass (scans, range of motion). And doctors aren't likely willing to bend all that much if there is liability involved.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I wasn’t talking releasing them from the team. I was talking about taking him off pup so he can be on the 53 then turn around and IR him for 3 games.

I understand. So how many?

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That will most likely be the colts next move. I'd be shocked if they didn't claim a T after cuts.

I think there’s a very good chance you’re going to be shocked and disappointed.   And other posters here are in the same group as you.   

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, no worries. I've been looking for updates on all injuries every AM.... 

Can't find much if anything on Pinter (foot/ankle), Patmon (foot), Speed (knee), or Carrie (knee). 

Odum in concussion protocol.

Wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something 

This weekend has been dedicated to WNBA Basketball, HS Football, NCAA Football and Volleyball 

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind we only kept 8 OL last year. Our depth guys were Clark, Pinter, and Green. 

So let's see we keep 9 total this year, 4 of whom are depth. Are you gong to keep 3 depth Ts, and only on IOL?

And also possibly carry Fisher (10th) if he makes it off PUP while trying to get back to form?

And it was such a mess that we needed to drag a retired OT off his couch.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there’s a very good chance you’re going to be shocked and disappointed.   And other posters here are in the same group as you.   

You're ok with the current depth at T especially with Fisher most likely not playing til week 3 if we're lucky?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

didn't happen till AC went down

we were dumb in the first place for not having a better swing T. another low rent body really wouldn't have mattered.

the couch guy played pretty well

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What is the status of Pinter

this is one possibility for backup

G/C Pinter

G/T Carter O

T TBA

Hunt as the C depth if Pinter is still dinged up

not to mention Reed

So right now

Starters (5)

LT Davenport

LG Nelson (injured, "questionable" for the week one start, but will be on the 53)

C Kelly (injured, "questionable" for the week one start, but will be on the 53)

RG Glow

RT Smith

Let's say we keep 9 (only 8 last year)

Depth (4)

G Reed - lock, and best depth guard we have

G/C Pinter (injured, "questionable" for the week one start, but will be on the 53 as far as we know)

G/C Hunt - can't see us not keeping him with both Kelly and Pinter banged up

Holden G/T - lock for OT swingman unless we sign someone better

Plus maybe (perhaps only temporarily)

Fisher - if he gets released from PUP

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

didn't happen till AC went down

we were dumb in the first place for not having a better swing T. another low rent body really wouldn't have mattered.

the couch guy played pretty well

I'm just saying we shouldn't have had to deal with that kind of situation and everyone pointed out how terrible the T depth was.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The OT situation is Ballards fault for not addressing the future in the draft the last couple seasons knowing AC was close to retiring.

Not really an unfair point. AC missed 5 games in 2018 and was already past age 30.

Since the 2019 draft, Colts have had (8) Day 2 picks (with six 2nd round picks) and none have gone to LT. 

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just saying we shouldn't have had to deal with that kind of situation and everyone pointed out how terrible the T depth was.

Oh I agree. Just saying we can't just throw numbers at the problem. Adding another JAG doesn't help. If we can't upgrade Holden or O'Donnell, might as well stand pat. I'm as concerned with G and C with Nelson, Kelly, and Pinter hobbled. C depth could be tested. Thankfully, Reed is competent if Q can't go.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So right now

Starters (5)

LT Davenport

LG Nelson (injured, "questionable" for the week one start, but will be on the 53)

RG Glow

RT Smith

Depth (4)

G/C Pinter (injured, "questionable" for the week one start, but will be on the 53 as far as we know)

Like this with the multiple injuries along the OL I have a feeling we keep 9

I see Hunt and Holden being the first guys to go when guys come back from injuries and/or after waiver claims

Friendly reminder from TigerTown  

More than likely the top 53 guys on Tuesday will not be the top 53 guys at the end of the season or even week 1

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Not really an unfair point. AC missed 5 games in 2018 and was already past age 30.

Since the 2019 draft, Colts have had (8) Day 2 picks (with six 2nd round picks) and none have gone to LT. 

That is not a good way to draft

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're ok with the current depth at T especially with Fisher most likely not playing til week 3 if we're lucky?

Of course not.    But your comment doesn't address the problem,  and if you don't know it,  you sure should.

The issue is this.....    the odds are incredibly small that we will find a tackle who is cut by their team that we will want that is better than what we have.     Why you think there would be a guy like that is a mystery to me.

The guys we have were either claimed from another teams PS (Holden) or were bought during free agency (Davenport or Tevi)

Suddenly you think a player who plays a premium position is going to be cut by his team and he's going to be better than what we have?    I simply don't get that thinking.    But you're not alone here.

Davenport is going to be the guy until Fisher gets back.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

And so it begins......

Dear God.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course not.    But your comment doesn't address the problem,  and if you don't know it,  you sure should.

The issue is this.....    the odds are incredibly small that we will find a tackle who is cut by their team that we will want that is better than what we have.     Why you think there would be a guy like that is a mystery to me.

The guys we have were either claimed from another teams PS (Holden) or were bought during free agency (Davenport or Tevi)

Suddenly you think a player who plays a premium position is going to be cut by his team and he's going to be better than what we have?    I simply don't get that thinking.    But you're not alone here.

Much of the discussion is about the depth and/or apparent lack of until Fisher comes back not Davenport 

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Much of the discussion is about the depth and/or apparent lack of until Fisher comes back not Davenport 

Huh?

Davenport IS depth....     Not sure I follow your meaning?

I've seen the discussion.     There are people saying they think the Colts will find someone better after the 53 man cutdown.   I believe you're one of those people.    I don't understand this line of thinking. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Davenport IS depth....     Not sure I follow your meaning?

I've seen the discussion.     There are people saying they think the Colts will find someone better after the 53 man cutdown.   I believe you're one of those people.    I don't understand this line of thinking. 

At this point Davenport is the starting LT not depth 

The depth is Holden and possibly Carter O

What we( @CR91 @EastStreet ) are talking about is a possible replacement of or in addition to Holden, Carter O

JD has rarely even been brought up

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pre-season doesn't end officially until Sep-5

While that is true, the Colts have to "officially" make a decision by roster cut down day, which is Tuesday August 31st at 4pm EST, the decision will need to be made by then.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was the end solution. We were discussing the depth issue not that Tevi is out and Fisher is still on the mend with Covid.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

So let me get this straight, Tyquan Lewis, TY Hilton and Sam Tevi all out multiple weeks after a preseason game where the starters didn’t play? And then Sam E out 4+ weeks as well? 

fire the training staff 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

While that is true, the Colts have to "officially" make a decision by roster cut down day, which is Tuesday August 31st at 4pm EST, the decision will need to be made by then.

Not sure all the dots are connecting for me.

We have to cut to 53 by 4pm tomorrow, I get that.

But Fisher can be active/PUP and not count towards the roster till 4pm Sep5 (when pre-season ends), at which time he's either OK'd by the docs and goes to the 53 (bumping someone), or coverts to the reserve/PUP and out for 6 weeks min.

Am I understanding things wrong (very possible lol) ? From what I read, that's what I can piece together. Clear as mud :funny:

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Sam may have had the worst camp of any player on our squad, got beat on a daily basis (Multiple write ups on how bad it was) and in games got beat by 3rd and 4th string players. Davenport starting at LT until Fisher is back which could be opening day though most likely week 3-5, Holden playing swing Tackle until then.    

I am hopeful that after Fisher returns, the Colts try and lock up Davenport for a couple more years.  The swing tackle position is very important and his pretty athletic.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure all the dots are connecting for me.

We have to cut to 53 by 4pm tomorrow, I get that.

But Fisher can be active/PUP and not count towards the roster till 4pm Sep5 (when pre-season ends), at which time he's either OK'd by the docs and goes to the 53 (bumping someone), or coverts to the reserve/PUP and out for 6 weeks min.

Am I understanding things wrong (very possible lol) ? From what I read, that's what I can piece together. Clear as mud :funny:

Not my take on it:

Aug. 31 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.

Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl-schedule/2021-22-important-nfl-dates/

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thanks. 

So their language in places is pretty screwy.  

Preseason ACTIVE PUP really doesn't last all Preseason, and Regular Season RESERVE PUP, actually starts before the preseason ends... lol.... 

It also says as one of the options for PUP players is "continue to count the player on the Active List", but if they were on PUP, they were never counted as Active...

Clear as mud!!

21 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

I am hopeful that after Fisher returns, the Colts try and lock up Davenport for a couple more years.  The swing tackle position is very important and his pretty athletic.

I'm more a wait and see on Davenport

T Julie’n Davenport finished last season with an overall grade of 54.9, 73rd out of 80 qualifying tackles Davenport’s 16 penalties and 68 total pressures allowed were the most for any tackle

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks. 

So their language in places is pretty screwy.  

Preseason ACTIVE PUP really doesn't last all Preseason, and Regular Season RESERVE PUP, actually starts before the preseason ends... lol.... 

It also says as one of the options for PUP players is "continue to count the player on the Active List", but if they were on PUP, they were never counted as Active...

Clear as mud!!

Looks like they didn’t update some of this language when they changed the preseason rules 

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Looks they didn’t update some of this language when they changed the preseason rules 

Yup, CBA Article 23, Section 10 is pretty clear on the preseason period end date. And the other language is pretty clear about Active PUP being preseason, and Reserve Pup being regular season.

A 2 dollar lawyer could have fun with that.

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I wish Tevi well, but I cannot agree with this statement by Reich.  

What did you want him to say. He was having a horrible camp and wasn’t going to make the roster.

Reich was ticked in his presser about Fisher. Sounded like he was coming off pup and was tracking towards week one. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So right now

Starters (5)

LT Davenport

RG Glow

RT Smith

Depth (4)

Instead of Hunt, how about having some Fries with our order?

Archived