Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Solak] Carson Wentz’s Injury Leaves the Colts With a QB Conundrum They Won’t Easily Solve

stitches

Just think for a moment. If the Colts had activated Eason last year instead of sticking with Brissett, they could of let him run those 4th and 1 plays and get him some game time under his belt. I think he will do fine.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  Both of these surgeries will be tissue heals not bone issues.  Plenty of time to heal up and deal with the soreness if any.

Ya, it really just depends, I mean, idk tissue well at all, but maybe someone else here does or have seen, but what would be the major issue with the tissue if it doesnt regenerate quickly to say

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

This whole thing has gotten completely out of control. We are not trading for a QB. Or probably even signing a free agent. 

These guys don’t know how to separate being journalists and analysts from being fiction writers these days. In this case, they’re just making % up to stir the pot. 

In fairness to the media I think the general consensus is the Colts were going to challenge and make a run in the post season this year with Wentz. If we also consider the Colts squeaked into the playoffs by the tiniest margin last year and assume a similar situation is possible this year can they afford to lose 4 of the first 5 games and still reasonably expect a playoff run? Now with Wentz out and Eason presumably in, the question becomes can you put your entire season on the line with a QB that's never taken a snap or does a giving up a 4th round pick for a vet QB give you a better chance those first 4-5 games?

In the end, it doesn't matter if you're a Colts fan, the GM, the head coach or the national media that question doesn't change. 

Not really a bad article...no wonder people don't like it. 

I disagree about Irsay's patience though. Ballard is here to stay for a long time. Not to mention he is a bit insulated with Reich being the HC making the calls at QB.

Also really disagree with the use of the word "misfortune so absurd."

Luck retiring was the only truly misfortunate thing that has happened, mostly because of when it happened. But nearly all teams have to address QB long-term. So a GM NOT getting to inherit and build a roster around an elite (in-his-prime) QB is not unlucky...it's normal. Hell, getting Luck for even one year was pretty fortunate. And having him miss 2017 was very fortunate for the roster because it led to the 2018 draft.

McDaniels wasn't misfortune and Wentz won't be either (no matter what happens). Both had major red flags and so far one of them appears to have been a dodged bullet.

26 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

In fairness to the media I think the general consensus is the Colts were going to challenge and make a run in the post season this year with Wentz. If we also consider the Colts squeaked into the playoffs by the tiniest margin last year and assume a similar situation is possible this year can they afford to lose 4 of the first 5 games and still reasonably expect a playoff run? Now with Wentz out and Eason presumably in, the question becomes can you put your entire season on the line with a QB that's never taken a snap or does a giving up a 4th round pick for a vet QB give you a better chance those first 4-5 games?

In the end, it doesn't matter if you're a Colts fan, the GM, the head coach or the national media that question doesn't change. 

It makes sense. All offseason, just about everybody in the media had the Colts pretty high in the power rankings and saw them as a playoff team. Hell, even with Eason, they still had a 65%+ chance to make the playoffs, according to Vegas (last I saw).

So the expectations have been really high for this team. And with that starting schedule, it is a fair question to ponder if a vet QB could keep the team afloat. And it's not like Wentz couldn't get hurt again either.

That said, I don't see them making a move.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Has any team ever started a 6th round rookie week 1?  Ehlinger had me wondering 

I doubt it. I know Minshew replaced Foles in Week 1 in 2019. But that was because Foles broke his collar bone.

I don't think there is any they are starting Ehlinger though.

Honestly,  I mostly thought the piece was one Big YAWN!!

Seriously.    Lots of flowery, pretty writing,  but he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about our QB situation.   We're in a tough spot.     NOT a newsflash.    We will likely figure it out the last few days of August after the last Pre-Season game.

But I thought the most interesting part was the part where he referred to what he called "Ballard's recent draft misses..."   then listed Rock, Banogu,  Turay and Campbell.    Draft misses.    Funny,  all four of those guys are getting some of the best reviews in camp and he called them....    misses.       

They haven't clinched their spots just yet,  but they're ALL playing well and I'm looking forward to seeing them in pre-season.     Maybe our misses will turn into hits!   :thmup: