Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael strachan is going to be a dawg!!

Rolltide_gocolts

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Oh,  I think he is gonna get plenty of action,   but he has a lot to prove before he takes snaps from Pascal, Pittman or Hilton

IDK. Lots of things can happen, especially if they start running some new looks. Also, what they do with Campbell this year could impact things in a few places. 2 TE sets with Granson will impact slot (we ran 2 TEs a little over 20% last year IIRC). I really don't know what to expect. 

X - Pittman will be primary X, and an ideal rotation at X likely give his 65ish% of X snaps. So Strachan will get the remainder IMO.

Z - TY will likely get the most snaps early, but you gotta think they will try to start and get Campbell over to Z in prep for TY's eventual retirement. Also, if they run two bigs wide, You're likely looking Pittman as the motion guy (Z) and Strachan maybe getting more snaps at X when Pittman moves over.

Slot - Pascal some, Campbell some, and Granson some when we go 2TE. In the RZ, you could see Pittman or another big here like Strachan.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Lots of things can happen, especially if they start running some new looks. Also, what they do with Campbell this year could impact things in a few places. 2 TE sets with Granson will impact slot (we ran 2 TEs a little over 20% last year IIRC). I really don't know what to expect. 

X - Pittman will be primary X, and an ideal rotation at X likely give his 65ish% of X snaps. So Strachan will get the remainder IMO.

Z - TY will likely get the most snaps early, but you gotta think they will try to start and get Campbell over to Z in prep for TY's eventual retirement. Also, if they run two bigs wide, You're likely looking Pittman as the motion guy (Z) and Strachan maybe getting more snaps at X when Pittman moves over.

Slot - Pascal some, Campbell some, and Granson some when we go 2TE. In the RZ, you could see Pittman or another big here like Strachan.

Like I said,  he has a lot to prove before he takes snaps before Pascal,  Pittman or Hilton.    He has the size and speed,  do the coaches trust him yet,

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Strachan is very different from both Cain and Fountain. I still have hopes for Fountain though, as he's looked decent in preseason (looks to be vying for a final spot). Strachan is a big fast X with great possession skill. Cain was a deep ball speed guy in college, and we tried to make him a possession guy. Fountain was hampered by injury, and probably wasn't used correctly either. 

Strachan though fits right in with what Reich is trying to do. And he's simply looked good in every opportunity he's been give. Not saying he'll be an elite stud or 1000 yard guy, but very confident he'll make the team, and I'll think he'll be in the regular rotation.

I’m hopeful on him and I agree about Cain, main point in my comparison is Cain had special athleticism, like Strachan has special size/strength/speed combo.

I think he might end up Being a Buddy Ryan Special (all he does is catch Touchdowns).  But that would be invaluable to this team, I’ve been harping on this for a while.  Go up and get it.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I also like what Patmon potentially brings in at the slot, particularly with chipping on the edge on Play Action. But, a lot of people have a lot of valid reasons why he won't be a 7th WR.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Like I said,  he has a lot to prove before he takes snaps before Pascal,  Pittman or Hilton.    He has the size and speed,  do the coaches trust him yet,

Like I said, not early, but by mid season I would not be surprised to see his snap count growing, and threatening others.

And as much as I love our starters, nobody had 800 or more yards last week. TY aging, Pittman is still a newb, Pascal is overachieving, Campbell is injury prone, etc.. So it's not like a WR has to be the 2nd coming to rise up the charts. I mean, we really don't have a no-brainer #1 WR. If you asked 10 people to list our #1, #2, and #3 guys, you'd likely get a ton of different ranks. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’m hopeful on him and I agree about Cain, main point in my comparison is Cain had special athleticism, like Strachan has special size/strength/speed combo.

I think he might end up Being a Buddy Ryan Special (all he does is catch Touchdowns).  But that would be invaluable to this team, I’ve been harping on this for a while.  Go up and get it.

I know his route tree might be limited, but he doesn't look sloppy in what he has run. Still very early for him. I just think he brings a lot more than Cain. Cain brought one thing, and our scheme just didn't value it all that much. Had we had a QB like Luck or Manning with Cain, things might have turned out different. Strachan though can be of value with any type of QB or scheme.

Still way to early to crown him, but he's ahead of the curve IMO.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know his route tree might be limited, but he doesn't look sloppy in what he has run. Still very early for him. I just think he brings a lot more than Cain. Cain brought one thing, and our scheme just didn't value it all that much. Had we had a QB like Luck or Manning with Cain, things might have turned out different. Strachan though can be of value with any type of QB or scheme.

Still way to early to crown him, but he's ahead of the curve IMO.

Cain hasn’t even been on Sunday sidelines much.  He’s probably just not good.  I just saw him make a wow cut on a catch and accelerate and read he had off the field issues and thought msybe we’d unearthed a gem.  

just appears to be a run of the mill 6th round pick.

4 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I also like what Patmon potentially brings in at the slot, particularly with chipping on the edge on Play Action. But, a lot of people have a lot of valid reasons why he won't be a 7th WR.

The bag on him coming in to the NFL is he doesn't play physical, or to his size. So if that has not changed, I'm not sure he'd be a good answer in the slot. If he has changed, they heck yes. I think I'd like to see him get some looks as a big motion Z to be honest.

One play that I recall most from game 1, he was a bit lacking (playing to his size) on one target. He more or less let DB come from behind him for a PD. The ball was a bit high, but it still should have been a catch. I think he could have used his body a lot better and perhaps chosen a different catch point as well. 

I really like him, just not sure there's room. It's been a good while since we've had legit Xs, and now all of sudden we have 3, 4 if you count Pascal as a small/tweener X.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Cain hasn’t even been on Sunday sidelines much.  He’s probably just not good.  I just saw him make a wow cut on a catch and accelerate and read he had off the field issues and thought msybe we’d unearthed a gem.  

just appears to be a run of the mill 6th round pick.

IMO, he should have been a Z. We tried to make him an X. Oh well. I think he's fighting or a spot with Baltimore now.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

The bag on him coming in to the NFL is he doesn't play physical, or to his size. So if that has not changed, I'm not sure he'd be a good answer in the slot. If he has changed, they heck yes. I think I'd like to see him get some looks as a big motion Z to be honest.

One play that I recall most from game 1, he was a bit lacking (playing to his size) on one target. He more or less let DB come from behind him for a PD. The ball was a bit high, but it still should have been a catch. I think he could have used his body a lot better and perhaps chosen a different catch point as well. 

I really like him, just not sure there's room. It's been a good while since we've had legit Xs, and now all of sudden we have 3, 4 if you count Pascal as a small/tweener X.

I agree man. I think in that second game you could see the fire lit under his butt. Might be too little too late though.

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

I agree man. I think in that second game you could see the fire lit under his butt. Might be too little too late though.

If he can flash on STs (he had one good moment so far), he might have a better chance. 

Dulin though has two way STs value (return plus gunner), so just a really hard decision. 

Archived