Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael strachan is going to be a dawg!!

Rolltide_gocolts

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

The eye test shows me he as good as anyone on this roster. Seems to me he just needs to master book. Man when he came in talking I was like cmon man...but he has backed it all up. I personally think Pittmans intimidated and dropping passes like damn I'm #2 now!

I like the enthusiasm 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I was all in on the Deon Cain fan club in those years, was lukewarm on Fountain. Maybe its the fan in me coming out again lol, but this kid feels different, even seeing him interview, he just gets it, great attitude. I'm ready to get hurt again haha

There it is.  I've been intentionally holding back enthusiasm because of the Duron Carter, Deon Cain, Reece Fountain heartbreaks of yesteryear.  I think you're right.  Time to move on.  I'm on the hype train!

59 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I was all in on the Deon Cain fan club in those years, was lukewarm on Fountain. Maybe its the fan in me coming out again lol, but this kid feels different, even seeing him interview, he just gets it, great attitude. I'm ready to get hurt again haha

Cain like many other players are/were late RD selections for a reason. Word of advise, don’t drink the koolaid until they’ve done something in regular season games for a sustained period time.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just curious. What exactly has Patmon done to "seem to be the better WR"?

And do you really think we'll keep 3 true X type WRs, plus a tweener X like Pascal (keeping only two Z/traditional-slot guys)

Patmon's name has been mentioned as making plays in the passing game, Dulin has not. Patmon was stashed on the active roster for an entire year versus the taxi squad to protect him. They have not given Dulin that courtesy in the past.

And yes, they can stash DeMichael Harris/Tyler Vaughns on the taxi quad if another Z/Slot guy is needed. Otherwise they keep the guys that are capable of making plays. After all, they did draft all three of those traditional X guys so I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason as to why!

Great article on Strachen and why he fell in the draft. Apparently football was canceled at his school last year for covid so he took a year off from football to just work out. I didn't know he also ran track setting records.

Colts’ mystery receiver looking tremendous in camp

After the University of Charleston (West Virginia) canceled its fall football season last year, along with every other lower-level college, Michael Strachan spent last year working on his craft at Bommarito Performance Systems in Miami.

It was there he tried to hone his craft as best he could while NFL scouts attempted to crack the code of the physically blessed project who lit up D-II defenses for 78 receptions, 1,319 yards and 19 touchdowns — all school records — in 2019.

He also ran track there, helping Charleson win conference championships in the 200 meters, 400 and the 4x400 relay. Strachan is the school’s record holder in the 400.

At 6-foot-5 and 226 pounds, with 34 1/4-inch arms and 10-inch hands, Strachan is as big as receivers get these days. The league has trended away from that type of wideout in favor of smaller, quicker, more shifty players in recent years, and that’s partly why Strachan fell to the first pick of Round 7 this spring.

Other factors were his level of competition and relative lack of football, especially with none last season. Strachan was born in the Bahamas before relocating to Virginia as a sophomore in high school. He picked up football there and became a star at Charleston and was viewed as a project by Colts general manager Chris Ballard.

But Strachan has been one of the shocking standouts in Colts camp. Thursday was another big day for the king-sized pass catcher as he hauled in throw after throw, including a fastball from Ehlinger in red-zone work. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-ehlinger-turning-heads-in-colts-camp-with-help-from-his-freak-rookie-receiver-025029835.html

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Hey I remember when Ballard could have had Dj Chark and we missed and I was like dang. Then we missed Metcalf and I was like dang. I wanted Claypool over Pittman. I've never been good at assessing talent. But everytime I would watch WRs highlights I always want a guy who hits. Strachan is giving me that vibe. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just curious. What exactly has Patmon done to "seem to be the better WR"?

And do you really think we'll keep 3 true X type WRs, plus a tweener X like Pascal (keeping only two Z/traditional-slot guys)

If you make me decide at this minute, Patmon goes to the PS if we can get him there before he’s claimed.  

I don’t see him beating out Strachan.   And I value Dublin on STs.

But in Patmon’s defense, after a very slow start to camp, his last few days he appears to had a nice bounce back.  And, the staff thought enough if him to carry him on the 53 I think for the entire season.   So they must see something?!?   

The last round of cuts will be more interesting this year than any other year since Ballard arrived. 

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Patmon's name has been mentioned as making plays in the passing game, Dulin has not. Patmon was stashed on the active roster for an entire year versus the taxi squad to protect him. They have not given Dulin that courtesy in the past.

And yes, they can stash DeMichael Harris/Tyler Vaughns on the taxi quad if another Z/Slot guy is needed. Otherwise they keep the guys that are capable of making plays. After all, they did draft all three of those traditional X guys so I'm sure there is some rhyme or reason as to why!

You forget perhaps that Dulin has very good ST's value, made the roster last year after being promoted, and actually played a 100+ O snaps last year. Just not sure I see the value in Patmon as a 3rd or even 4th X, who really doesn't have a lot of STs value. And I personally haven't heard/seen a lot of hype about Patmon this camp.

And then of course Dulin is higher on the current depth chart, but we all know that can change. I just don't think it will. If anyone comes up to push Dulin down, I would think it would be one of the smaller guys.

Vaughns doesn't really fit the Z/traditional slot mold to me. He's more of a small X / bully-slot much like Pascal. 

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you make me decide at this minute, Patmon goes to the PS if we can get him there before he’s claimed.  

I don’t see him beating out Strachan.   And I value Dublin on STs.

But in Patmon’s defense, after a very slow start to camp, his last few days he appears to had a nice bounce back.  And, the staff thought enough if him to carry him on the 53 I think for the entire season.   So they must see something?!?   

The last round of cuts will be more interesting this year than any other year since Ballard arrived. 

Yup.

On keeping him last year... I think it had at least a little to do with our WR injuries and overall X situation. I like him, just not sure he's physical enough to be a well rounded X. I also think he might fit a different scheme better, that uses more deep shots.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup.

On keeping him last year... I think it had at least a little to do with our WR injuries and overall X situation. I like him, just not sure he's physical enough to be a well rounded X. I also think he might fit a different scheme better, that uses more deep shots.

The deep shots are coming folks!

Legitimally having the speed to stretch the field to create space underneath is a must. Dulin has the speed, i wonder if Patmon does?
 We Are going to be able to create a bounty of mismatches with all of our speed and Size. it is gonna be awesome!!!

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Legitimally having the speed to stretch the field to create space underneath is a must. Dulin has the speed, i wonder if Patmon does?
 We Are going to be able to create a bounty of mismatches with all of our speed and Size. it is gonna be awesome!!!

I sure hope so. I don't want to be air raid, but I'm tired of being overly conservative. I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

I don’t know but when I look at Pittman I just don’t get a sense for him being a No.1 WR.  When he’s running routes, it’s like he just shuffles his feet and he runs so stiff and tall.  Honestly I never seen him get separation.  With Strachan, he shouldn’t be moving the way he does at his size.  I don’t know if it’s genes or something he worked on, but he is just so fluid to me.  Can’t wait to finally get some eyes on him at this week’s game

23 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

I don’t know but when I look at Pittman I just don’t get a sense for him being a No.1 WR.  When he’s running routes, it’s like he just shuffles his feet and he runs so stiff and tall.  Honestly I never seen him get separation.  With Strachan, he shouldn’t be moving the way he does at his size.  I don’t know if it’s genes or something he worked on, but he is just so fluid to me.  Can’t wait to finally get some eyes on him at this week’s game

I think a lot of that might be the route your watching.

Take a look at the highlights below. He was very smooth vs TN, GB, and LVR, when he got more targets in stride. 

What surprised me a bit, was their lack of sideline (intermediate and deep) shots to him. It look most like slants, and other slot like routes.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Take a look at the highlights below. He was very smooth vs TN, GB, and LVR, when he got more targets in stride. 

What surprised me a bit, was their lack of sideline (intermediate and deep) shots to him. It look most like slants, and other slot like routes.

Just finished watching, and yea definitely a lot slants and crosses.  He was a rookie though, so I figure we didn’t go to him more often because it had more to do with him not being comfortable with the full route yet maybe

12 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just finished watching, and yea definitely a lot slants and crosses.  He was a rookie though, so I figure we didn’t go to him more often because it had more to do with him not being comfortable with the full route yet maybe

Expand  

IDK. We didn't go long sideline much at all to anyone. Everyone got overly dinked and dunked lol. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You think that’s due to the lack of arm strength of Rivers? That’s not a shot btw. Rivers did a good job last year.

Just now, JediXMan said:

You think that’s due to the lack of arm strength of Rivers? That’s not a shot btw. Rivers did a good job last year.

Rivers was top 10ish in deep throw accuracy, and bottom half or maybe bottom 10 in deep attempts.

If I'm a coach and my QB is top 10 in DTA, I'm probably going to roll the dice more. Reich didn't.

4 hours ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Pittman has played a grand total of one year.   And his injured leg prevented him from playing in a quarter of our games.  

I don’t know why you think the Michael Pittman you see now is the Pittman who is a finished product?   Why aren’t you expecting a lot of improvement this year,  and next year too with the way things are going so far?   I think the kid has a ton of upside.   And Ballard can’t stop saying enough good things about him.   

Talented young players get better with opportunity and experience. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rivers was top 10ish in deep throw accuracy, and bottom half or maybe bottom 10 in deep attempts.

If I'm a coach and my QB is top 10 in DTA, I'm probably going to roll the dice more. Reich didn't.

I think maybe Reich didn’t want to put rivers in a situation where he was throwing int. Played more conservative. The colts were number 2 in explosive plays last season. That includes runs and passes.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think maybe Reich didn’t want to put rivers in a situation where he was throwing int. Played more conservative. The colts were number 2 in explosive plays last season. That includes runs and passes.

That stat is a little misleading. We were 3rd in the league in YACatch, so a pretty big impact on explosive pass plays.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

That stat is a little misleading. We were 3rd in the league in YACatch, so a pretty big impact on explosive pass plays.

I don’t think it matters how you get them. Rivers was responsible for that YAC also because his ball placement and anticipation was so good. He got it to the receivers on time so that could get the YAC. He was also good with passes in that 20 to 30 yard range.

What gives me hope for him vs the heartbreaks of prior years is he’s a bit of a different story. He went to a smaller school and destroyed his competition. There’s a lot of small school prospects we look at who look great but don’t have the stats. But Mike, he looked like a man amongst boys out there. Had his team played last year I could very easily see him have gotten the same hype Gandy-Golden get when he came out. Plus this guy is making plays day in and day out. Not a flash here and there. It’s been nearly every single day. I am absolutely on his train..

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think it matters how you get them. Rivers was responsible for that YAC also because his ball placement and anticipation was so good. He got it to the receivers on time so that could get the YAC. He was also good with passes in that 20 to 30 yard range.

Yes, Rivers gets credit for the YAC, but you're missing the point relative to the deep throw conversation. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pittman has played a grand total of one year.   And his injured leg prevented him from playing in a quarter of our games.  

I don’t know why you think the Michael Pittman you see now is the Pittman who is a finished product?   Why aren’t you expecting a lot of improvement this year,  and next year too with the way things are going so far?   I think the kid has a ton of upside.   And Ballard can’t stop saying enough good things about him.   

Lol I guess the missing keyword I didn’t write was “right now”.  I just don’t see it right now, and yea he could definitely improve into one down the road.  I say it from a place where I’ve been reading a lot of articles and tweets that say he looks ready to takeover the No.1 WR spot, which I slightly disagree with.  He’s one hell of a blocker though.  Him and pascal are like extra linemen out there.

1 minute ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Lol I guess the missing keyword I didn’t write was “right now”.  I just don’t see it right now, and yea he could definitely improve into one down the road.  I say it from a place where I’ve been reading a lot of articles and tweets that say he looks ready to takeover the No.1 WR spot, which I slightly disagree with.  He’s one hell of a blocker though.  Him and pascal are like extra linemen out there.

Thanks!    Appreciate the very classy response!      :thmup:

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nothing wrong with being a #2 

I think he's just saying Strachan looks like a much more talent player, more physically gifted, and a more fluid runner. Which none of that is wrong. Course there is a lot more that goes into being a WR tho. But he does bring up something I've always noticed that no1 ever seems to say, and that's that Pittman does run really stiff. Almost awkward looking really. He also has virtually no explosion off the line at all. I think he makes up for it with other parts of his game tho.

Xs are normally, IMO, more #2s, than #1s..... 

That is, unless you have a freak as an X, or you're trying really hard to be a possession type of passing team.

Pittman has the tools IMO to be a well rounded X, possession and finesse/deep. I think Strachan does too, but he is probably closer to possession than finesse. Good problems.

If Reich continues to be the dink/dunk king, then Strachan might be the best option. If we want to stress Ds, and make them defend the entire field, we have a lot of very good options all over.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You forget perhaps that Dulin has very good ST's value, made the roster last year after being promoted, and actually played a 100+ O snaps last year. Just not sure I see the value in Patmon as a 3rd or even 4th X, who really doesn't have a lot of STs value. And I personally haven't heard/seen a lot of hype about Patmon this camp.

And then of course Dulin is higher on the current depth chart, but we all know that can change. I just don't think it will. If anyone comes up to push Dulin down, I would think it would be one of the smaller guys.

Vaughns doesn't really fit the Z/traditional slot mold to me. He's more of a small X / bully-slot much like Pascal. 

As always, we can agree to disagree! I see it my way, you see it yours. We'll see how the coaching staff and Ballard see it in a few weeks!

His size is already a disadvantage. And when i see you beating Rhodes, Jaycee Horn and others multiple times that gives me reason to believe. Last season Rhodes destroyed Pittman all camp long.  I like the Caribbean background. Those people value hard work. Also i like the relationship(yes i know non blood) he has with Michael Irvin. And overall i he seems to have NFL level athleticism.  Does not appear to be out of place.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't know, i'm thinking Rivers had great leeway most everyplay to switch to a pass play with a deep look, or look for the long ball any time he wished.

We will see our QB'S getting a lot more sacks this season because our o-line, including Smith, are not that great as pass blockers. Rivers did a superb job covering that up, that was a reason for fewer deep balls.

Also Rhodes mentioning how good Strachan could be with a couple tweaks. His comment was he could be one of the best in the NFL. Thats clear recognition of his talent and how it fits on this level after only 1 practice. That helped sell me as well.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I agree Dulin speed and STs play trumps Pattmon potential. 

Archived