Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael strachan is going to be a dawg!!

Rolltide_gocolts

Everyone is rooting for this kid. We want to think that CB is the smartest GM in the NFL and he saw this kid when no one else did. What we should really hope is that once camp starts, the best 53 players they have end up on the roster. This doesn't always happen. GM's and coaches get attached to certain players, usually because of where they were drafted, and don't evaluate their performance correctly. It's like in poker. Once the money is on the table, it's not yours anymore. Once the players are in camp, everyone should be blind to the "investment" in them. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Everyone is rooting for this kid. We want to think that CB is the smartest GM in the NFL and he saw this kid when no one else did. What we should really hope is that once camp starts, the best 53 players they have end up on the roster. This doesn't always happen. GM's and coaches get attached to certain players, usually because of where they were drafted, and don't evaluate their performance correctly. It's like in poker. Once the money is on the table, it's not yours anymore. Once the players are in camp, everyone should be blind to the "investment" in them. 

I’m not saying your wrong, that does happen.  But from what we’re seeing, it happens less under BallardV/Reich.  Basham and Banner are good examples.  

I do think they spent more time predraft evaluating the player than UDFAs so they may take more time to see if they live up to what they expect.   

In this case, we’re talking about a guy who was drafted for his potential.  Even if he makes the 53 he’s probably not going to see many snaps.  They may feel an extra S or ST player is more important, even if MS is a better prospect.  

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm a bit out of the loop.    What is the definition of a "Dawg"?

I think people are just hoping for a Houshmandzadeh.    

In other terms it basically means “stud” or “beast”.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, bravo4460 said:

This happens every time we draft a late receiver...

Then reality happens and they aren’t very good.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think the past few years they’ve been plagued by injuries.  First Cain, then the other guy broke his leg.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

I know… he’s a 7th rd pick from a D3 school.. but he’s definitely got something different from most the other big wrs that fizzle out in camp.. The dude is a beast.. you heard it here first 

Uh... we’ve heard it before from multiple sources.  You are in a lil late.  But i do like the passion.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Rolltide_gocolts said:

I know… he’s a 7th rd pick from a D3 school.. but he’s definitely got something different from most the other big wrs that fizzle out in camp.. The dude is a beast.. you heard it here first 

I have to say that I feel an excitement about Strachan that I never felt about players like Cain or Duron Carter.  Fountain…well, I was big on him pre-draft, so I stayed convinced of his future stardom until the day he was gone. However, I think there was something about how confidently Strahan talked about his abilities before TC, followed by him backing it up on a daily basis.  Kinda like Babe Ruth calling his shot…

Thanks to someone here providing a nice video, i got to watch him get off the line.
 I saw a guy that had quick feet no matter his size.
Now with that size he IS going to be a beast in press man coverage on the quick short stuff. Another solid link in the chain coming soon. He is promising anyway..

Good short article. Been high on him for a while now (since first watching his tape).

I know we often fall in lust with the late round WRs, but I think Strachan is a much better fit (skill and need) to Reich's O than the guys in the past (who were more deep ball guys). 

The article pretty much said the same thing I've commented on. He's big and fast for his size, and plays with a "it's my GD ball" attitude, which Patmon does not.

They said he's a lot more advanced than they expected, and just needs to pick up the new plays. He's doing great at what he's already learned, just needs to continue to learn and get comfortable. 

I know Patmon right now is probably most at risk (roster) due to Strachan's rise, but this will likely push Pascal long term. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Good short article. Been high on him for a while now (since first watching his tape).

I know we often fall in lust with the late round WRs, but I think Strachan is a much better fit (skill and need) to Reich's O than the guys in the past (who were more deep ball guys). 

The article pretty much said the same thing I've commented on. He's big and fast for his size, and plays with a "it's my GD ball" attitude, which Patmon does not.

They said he's a lot more advanced than they expected, and just needs to pick up the new plays. He's doing great at what he's already learned, just needs to continue to learn and get comfortable. 

I know Patmon right now is probably most at risk (roster) due to Strachan's rise, but this will likely push Pascal long term. 

That back shoulder move he put on Rhodes sold me on his potential. It was smooth and he did it with Moss like confidence and athleticism.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

That back shoulder move he put on Rhodes sold me on his potential. It was smooth and he did it with Moss like confidence and athleticism.

Yup. Pittman had a nice back shoulder on RYS too. Good coverage by RYS too, just impossible to defend. That's one play we haven't really had for several years due to personnel. The fact we might have two guys that can nail it, is frankly awesome. It's one of those timing plays that can create "can't defend" 1st downs. I guess I'm actually more surprised that Eason is the one throwing it. TY has been a back shoulder target in the past, but it's just not the same when you toss it to a 6-4 or 6-5 guy with an aggressive attitude.

I know everyone is bummed out about the QB situation, but I'm very excited about WR this year. IF Campbell can stay healthy, this unit has a very high ceiling. The combinations we can send are fantastic. Having a 2nd capable X with size could allow for Pittman to play more bully slot too. Having Strachan at X, Pittman at Slot, TY or PC at Z, and a big TE like MAC will give any D some fits in the RZ, or simply on 3rd downs. Having 3 guys out there at 6-4+ might look like a bunch of big dudes swatting little DBs like flies.

The only thing I have heard, which I keep praying for, is Hines lining up in the slot at times. I want to see some two back sets, lining 2 up in the backfield and/or lining one up in the BF and one at slot.

Could be fun!

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Pittman had a nice back shoulder on RYS too. Good coverage by RYS too, just impossible to defend. That's one play we haven't really had for several years due to personnel. The fact we might have two guys that can nail it, is frankly awesome. It's one of those timing plays that can create "can't defend" 1st downs. I guess I'm actually more surprised that Eason is the one throwing it. TY has been a back shoulder target in the past, but it's just not the same when you toss it to a 6-4 or 6-5 guy with an aggressive attitude.

I know everyone is bummed out about the QB situation, but I'm very excited about WR this year. IF Campbell can stay healthy, this unit has a very high ceiling. The combinations we can send are fantastic. Having a 2nd capable X with size could allow for Pittman to play more bully slot too. Having Strachan at X, Pittman at Slot, TY or PC at Z, and a big TE like MAC will give any D some fits in the RZ, or simply on 3rd downs. Having 3 guys out there at 6-4+ might look like a bunch of big dudes swatting little DBs like flies.

The only thing I have heard, which I keep praying for, is Hines lining up in the slot at times. I want to see some two back sets, lining 2 up in the backfield and/or lining one up in the BF and one at slot.

Could be fun!

Not to mention Granson. If we can get the two big boi receivers on the field along with TY and Campbell plus the other stuff we got id say we finally have a unit that can match the Chiefs and Bills.  I feel really good about this year. I think Wentz wont miss too much time. We should be right in it.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Not to mention Granson. If we can get the two big boi receivers on the field along with TY and Campbell plus the other stuff we got id say we finally have a unit that can match the Chiefs and Bills.  I feel really good about this year. I think Wentz wont miss too much time. We should be right in it.

I see Granson as more of a bully slot or HB, than TE. He's actually a bit shorter than Pascal (who is 6-2), but is 25lbs heavier. 

Not saying I don't see value in him, but IMO he'll be used similar to Burton, who more or less stole slot snaps. If both he and Strachan emerge as competent, Pascals snaps are likely most at risk.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I see Granson as more of a bully slot or HB, than TE. He's actually a bit shorter than Pascal (who is 6-2), but is 25lbs heavier. 

Not saying I don't see value in him, but IMO he'll be used similar to Burton, who more or less stole slot snaps. If both he and Strachan emerge as competent, Pascals snaps are likely most at risk.

Granson has some serious RAC ability that i like. He can catch a slant or TE screen and get gone on you. To me hes a more mobile version of Dallas Clark. I like some of those little short passes he caught in the college film and just burned out for either a TD or more yards than he shouldve gotten.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He can be utilized just like a big WR. Ive seen a few plays in the college film where hes lined wide to the outside. Coverage wise i couldnt quite tell if he drew a corner or a safety. I just think he adds even more to the different combos we can play.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Granson has some serious RAC ability that i like. He can catch a slant or TE screen and get gone on you. To me hes a more mobile version of Dallas Clark.

Honestly, I still don't know how I feel about him. Watching his highlights, there are a lot of "nice" things to see, but IMO, most are routes he likely won't be running in our O. And keep in mind the context in that the level of competition he was playing, was poor. A decent portion of the highlights seemed to be busted plays.

But I agree we'll use him on slants, etc. If you watch the highlights though, very few slants it seemed. 

Here's the highlights I watched. I didn't rewatch, only drawing from my first take.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

He can be utilized just like a big WR. Ive seen a few plays in the college film where hes lined wide to the outside. Coverage wise i couldnt quite tell if he drew a corner or a safety. I just think he adds even more to the different combos we can play.

I think he was used that way at SMU (like an outside X-WR). Just not sure we'll use him like that here. At least not on the outside in an X-like fashion. At least I hope not, with bigger (and faster) dudes like Pittman and Strachan. Like I said, I think he'll steal bully slot snaps from Pascal, or slot snaps in general. 

I do love the thought of Strachan, Granson, MAC, and Pittman in the RZ.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think he was used that way at SMU (like an outside X-WR). Just not sure we'll use him like that here. At least not on the outside in an X-like fashion. At least I hope not, with bigger (and faster) dudes like Pittman and Strachan. Like I said, I think he'll steal bully slot snaps from Pascal, or slot snaps in general. 

I look more at what we could do with the tools hes got more than what they actually did with him. I think he can play multiple roles. I think he can play HB, Slot, and both outside WR positions situationally. A guy that versatile is really helpful in terms of the personnel groupings we can use to attack certain defensive looks.

32 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s pretty high praise!

Irsay said before the draft they were looking for a Dallas Clark type. Granson has tools like Clark only i think hes a bit faster. They are similar in stature and both able to be used from multiple spots on the field.

Granson is a Clark type, just not as strong at the point of attack....but Granson is a much better athlete.

Strachan, IMO, will make the team.  If he goes Practice Squad he'll be gone in an instant.  He is impressive, even against Kenny Moore and Rhodes.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:50 AM, EastStreet said:

I kind of like that anywhere. Want to use "cover corners"? Try to take the ball from the big boys or tackle them after they get it. Want to go with big corners or safeties? Good luck catching the Ghost or Parris Campbell. Then try to deal with "reliable" Jack Doyle and Zach Pascal smacking you in the mouth blocking. 

On 8/8/2021 at 1:21 AM, EastStreet said:

TY will be on the pines a lot. 

Usually players who are drafted late lack some major aspect of the game, or several, at the present time.

It seems like he has the size and body control to make contested catches, but I don't know if TC is a proper venue for evaluating what is really important in the NFL, running an array of precise patterns, consistent hands, and flat out speed. 

Maybe his combine stats (what ever they may be in 2020) speaks to his raw talent, but the other stuff has to be fully vetted before we make him the next star.

But yes, I doubt that he lasts long on the PS given his shear size and athleticism he's displayed.  He's a much better developmental risk than many WRs on NFL teams' roster, IMO, and some one will pick him up simply for that reason.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, Pat Curtis said:

Granson is a Clark type, just not as strong at the point of attack....but Granson is a much better athlete.

Strachan, IMO, will make the team.  If he goes Practice Squad he'll be gone in an instant.  He is impressive, even against Kenny Moore and Rhodes.

I hate to jinx things, but injuries will play a role here too. 

4 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

I kind of like that anywhere. Want to use "cover corners"? Try to take the ball from the big boys or tackle them after they get it. Want to go with big corners or safeties? Good luck catching the Ghost or Parris Campbell. Then try to deal with "reliable" Jack Doyle and Zach Pascal smacking you in the mouth blocking. 

I just think we have better options on the outside. I don't see a better "big" option than Pittman or Strachan, as they both play to their size, and are very fast for their size. Granson is a couple inches shorter, and not near as fast. And let's not forget, one of the bags on Granson is his hands. He still has to prove himself to me in that area. 

I'll be perfectly happy if Granson is effective on crossers, etc. in the middle, and some H-back type plays.

Archived