Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael strachan is going to be a dawg!!

Rolltide_gocolts

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stephen said:

He probably won't get enough snaps for that.

Pittman and TY better realize how deep the competition just got. It wasn't like Pittman was Chase Claypool out there last year. If Pittman has a fragile ego Strachan might hurt his feelings. I don't see big Mike dropping TDs like Pittman has. He'll be #1 half way in. 

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Pittman and TY better realize how deep the competition just got. It wasn't like Pittman was Chase Claypool out there last year. If Pittman has a fragile ego Strachan might hurt his feelings. I don't see big Mike dropping TDs like Pittman has. He'll be #1 half way in. Even if he doesn't get 1000yds he is a Redzone nightmare. 10 TDs+

13 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Pittman and TY better realize how deep the competition just got. It wasn't like Pittman was Chase Claypool out there last year. If Pittman has a fragile ego Strachan might hurt his feelings. I don't see big Mike dropping TDs like Pittman has. He'll be #1 half way in. 

Lol I like how the narrative of Wentz fragile confidence is now leaking into everyone else. 

46 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Lol I like how the narrative of Wentz fragile confidence is now leaking into everyone else. 

Pittman has dropped a lot balls this camp. And let's not pretend he lit it up. 1 td last year. He and Campbell get that Ballard shield that they can't be avg. Actually outside of injury Campbell might have better stats on the field than MPJ. 71%cat rate for PC to MPJ 65%

14 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Strachan may not even make the team.   I suspect he will but will be behind Hilton, Pittman, Campbell and Pascal.  He may not see the field much.  

43 minutes ago, Myles said:

Strachan may not even make the team.   I suspect he will but will be behind Hilton, Pittman, Campbell and Pascal.  He may not see the field much.  

I think he makes the team if he can play STs. But I don't think he's going to be stealing snaps and targets anytime soon. 

He's going to have to force their hands. To do that, he first needs to dominate preseason. Right now, he's one of 3-4 WRs who looked good in that game. And ALL of them are fighting for a roster spot.

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Pittman has dropped a lot balls this camp. And let's not pretend he lit it up. 1 td last year. He and Campbell get that Ballard shield that they can't be avg. Actually outside of injury Campbell might have better stats on the field than MPJ. 71%cat rate for PC to MPJ 65%

I think he will make the team, but Pittman will be given another few years to prove himself. 2 years minimum. Besides no one is saying he will be number one. So youre right about that. If (strachen???) Shows he's number one hes number one. Its only a good thing. Im happy to have him. 

4 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Money Mike is our best WR he's gonna beat in your head every day...

"beat in your head?

I wouldn't call him our best WR by a long shot.   Certainly has the potential with his size and speed, but he has not proved anything in the regular season yet.   I am rooting for him though.  

Hope he works out. If he turns out to be a Pierre Garcon level low drafted player (or better) then thats a huge pick and makes TY potentially leaving/retiring next year easier to handle.

He seems to be consistently making plays everyday in camp along with his first game. He also seems like an overall favorite target for our QBs. If he puts up numbers/a jump ball TDs tomorrow, his hype train will be going crazy.

I'd also mention that Strachan seems to fall in the same physical mold/playstyle as Alston Jeffrey, who had a few very good years with Carson. 

2 hours ago, colts89 said:

Hope he works out. If he turns out to be a Pierre Garcon level low drafted player (or better) then thats a huge pick and makes TY potentially leaving/retiring next year easier to handle.

He seems to be consistently making plays everyday in camp along with his first game. He also seems like an overall favorite target for our QBs. If he puts up numbers/a jump ball TDs tomorrow, his hype train will be going crazy.

I'd also mention that Strachan seems to fall in the same physical mold/playstyle as Alston Jeffrey, who had a few very good years with Carson. 

Very true

22 hours ago, colts89 said:

Do you mean "Alshon" Jeffery?

On 8/15/2021 at 10:12 AM, Scott Pennock said:

As always, we can agree to disagree! I see it my way, you see it yours. We'll see how the coaching staff and Ballard see it in a few weeks!

Yup. You just never know. I did like seeing Strachan and Patmon on the field at the same time though last week. If they start running a "big" out of Z, anything could happen.

My opinion right now is still the same, but I'm open to changing it over the next few preseason games. I loved the overall performance of the pass catchers. Gonna be some really tough choices.

I watched the game live, then did a rewatch... but forgot to figure out out which positions they were running out of (when MS and DP were on the field at the same time). I might flip it on again while I'm cooking and cleaning prior to tonight's game.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I don't know, i'm thinking Rivers had great leeway most everyplay to switch to a pass play with a deep look, or look for the long ball any time he wished.

We will see our QB'S getting a lot more sacks this season because our o-line, including Smith, are not that great as pass blockers. Rivers did a superb job covering that up, that was a reason for fewer deep balls.

IDK.. I don't think Rivers had Manning-like or even Luck-like control when it came to play calling. Not remotely. And I also can't even begin to contemplate blaming the OL for lack of deep tosses. Our OL last year was light years ahead of what Rivers had the previous years in LAC in terms of pass blocking. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK.. I don't think Rivers had Manning-like or even Luck-like control when it came to play calling. Not remotely. And I also can't even begin to contemplate blaming the OL for lack of deep tosses. Our OL last year was light years ahead of what Rivers had the previous years in LAC in terms of pass blocking. 

You are usually so spot on, and dead wrong regarding Rivers having options.
I'm a little shocked.
 San Diego's line has nothing to do with last season.
 Rivers was throwing super quick constantly last season and regularly because pressure was coming. Nelson was the only excellent pass blocker we had. One or more of the other 4 were giving up ground on most plays.
 Q made AC & Kelly look better than what they were, Glow is a mediocre pass blocker, and Smith has had, and will always have some trouble with speed rushers. Smith, as we know is near excellent as a run blocker, and does above average as a pass blocker considering his G/T like agility.
 We will see what having a lesser mind at QB looks like regarding our pass blocking with the # of pressures/sacks we have. 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are usually so spot on, and dead wrong regarding Rivers having options.
I'm a little shocked.
 San Diego's line has nothing to do with last season.
 Rivers was throwing super quick constantly last season and regularly because pressure was coming. Nelson was the only excellent pass blocker we had. One or more of the other 4 were giving up ground on most plays.
 Q made AC & Kelly look better than what they were, Glow is a mediocre pass blocker, and Smith has had, and will always have some trouble with speed rushers. Smith, as we know is near excellent as a run blocker, and does above average as a pass blocker considering his G/T like agility.
 We will see what having a lesser mind at QB looks like regarding our pass blocking with the # of pressures/sacks we have. 

Sorry man... You can tell just by watching early reads what Reich's game plan was. We were dinking most of the year with the exception of MN game, and we never got back to it. But it was pretty clear what Reich was doing. Most if not all of the off script stuff came when we were down late, and was a good portion of the deeper stuff. MN was really the only game I recall that had early reads deeper than normal. And they all worked for the most part.

LAC's line is relevant because Rivers hadn't had a decent line since in 5+ years. He got here, had a much better OL, and his play style changed (shot selection). That's Reich, not our OL. 

On 8/19/2021 at 7:06 AM, Myles said:

If we kept Patmon on the 53 roster all last year then I think the odds of Strachan making the 53 this year are 1,000 percent.   And that’s not a typo.    

If Strachan doesn’t make the 53 he would highly likely be claimed by another team before he could be put on the PS.  And even if he somehow got to the PS,  some team would very likely claim him at some point in the season.  

If Strachan didn’t make the 53 it might be the biggest bombshell of Ballard’s five years as GM.   

Unless Strachan totally bombs the next 2 games, or does something stupid off the field, he's going to make the roster.

Strachan's performance and the words coming from the staff make it really hard to not envision Strachan not being a lock for that 5th spot. He's actually making a case for the 3rd or 4th (if we're talking purely about snaps) if he can also do the little things like blocking well. Seeing them run two bigs at the same time last week was really nice, surprised me a bit, and helps his case even more.

Dulin, Patmon, Harris, Vaughns, Black, and even Davis looked good last week. Lot of competition but Strachan is just a rare combo that I don't see us passing up on.

Overall, incredibly happy with the depth at WR. 

On 8/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, EastStreet said:

Yup. You just never know. I did like seeing Strachan and Patmon on the field at the same time though last week. If they start running a "big" out of Z, anything could happen.

My opinion right now is still the same, but I'm open to changing it over the next few preseason games. I loved the overall performance of the pass catchers. Gonna be some really tough choices.

I watched the game live, then did a rewatch... but forgot to figure out out which positions they were running out of (when MS and DP were on the field at the same time). I might flip it on again while I'm cooking and cleaning prior to tonight's game.

I’d like to see big WR sets.  Kid is impressive.  I don’t know though.  WRs are hard to call.  

I thought the kid from Clemson was going to be a stud, but he’s barely hanging around the league.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I’d like to see big WR sets.  Kid is impressive.  I don’t know though.  WRs are hard to call.  

I thought the kid from Clemson was going to be a stud, but he’s barely hanging around the league.

Suddenly, it's crickets in here. 

He's got traits, that's for sure. And he could definitely hit and be a stud WR, but the overwhelming odds are that he is going to be a depth WR in the NFL, if/when he gets his shot. That's the path that 98% of these late round WRs take. And Strachan is already 24, which probably means his overall developmental upside is capped. 

Patmon, for example, is only 23 this year and this is 2nd NFL season.

I would say that if Strachan can have a similar career to Pascal, that is an outstanding result. But I actually see that potentially being the path that Patmon could take if he can secure that possession WR role if Pascal leaves.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Suddenly, it's crickets in here. 

He's got traits, that's for sure. And he could definitely hit and be a stud WR, but the overwhelming odds are that he is going to be a depth WR in the NFL, if/when he gets his shot. That's the path that 98% of these late round WRs take. And Strachan is already 24, which probably means his overall developmental upside is capped. 

Patmon, for example, is only 23 this year and this is 2nd NFL season.

I would say that if Strachan can have a similar career to Pascal, that is an outstanding result. But I actually see that potentially being the path that Patmon could take if he can secure that possession WR role if Pascal leaves.

I don't see him as depth at all. Starter all day. Wentz threw a TD to him today. Dude will be starting no later than week 5 or6. Campbell gifted the vikes that pic 6 when the ball hit him square in the hands. Pascal is the gold standard of silient consistency with all the tools at a C+ B- level. Pittman is built for the role but only shined in flashes. To me TY the only one that proved he's a tier above the rest. Strachan and Pittman will be in a race to Be the next #1.

21 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I don't see him as depth at all. Starter all day. Wentz threw a TD to him today. Dude will be starting no later than week 5 or6. Campbell gifted the vikes that pic 6 when the ball hit him square in the hands. Pascal is the gold standard of silient consistency with all the tools at a C+ B- level. Pittman is built for the role but only shined in flashes. To me TY the only one that proved he's a tier above the rest. Strachan and Pittman will be in a race to Be the next #1.

Starting in Week 5, as in targets? Snaps? I would take that bet all day. 

Strachan definitely has upside, but as of right now, he is very much a depth WR on this team. 

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think Strachan is very different from both Cain and Fountain. I still have hopes for Fountain though, as he's looked decent in preseason (looks to be vying for a final spot). Strachan is a big fast X with great possession skill. Cain was a deep ball speed guy in college, and we tried to make him a possession guy. Fountain was hampered by injury, and probably wasn't used correctly either. 

Strachan though fits right in with what Reich is trying to do. And he's simply looked good in every opportunity he's been give. Not saying he'll be an elite stud or 1000 yard guy, but very confident he'll make the team, and I'll think he'll be in the regular rotation.

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Starting over who?  Reports are he doesn't know all of the wr routes yet.   He will get in games, but he isn't getting in before Hilton, pascal or Pittman by week five

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Starting over who?  Reports are he doesn't know all of the wr routes yet.   He will get in games, but he isn't getting in before Hilton, pascal or Pittman by week five

He's not starting early, but he's going to get a decent amount of rotational snaps. And word is, his blocking has been on point. 

If he balls out, it's not crazy to see him getting top 3 WR snaps by mid season, especially if we start running 2 bigs out wide at a time.

I think he's threatening Pascal's snaps the most. It also depends on if Pittman can run out of the slot. 

To me Strachan is a #1 receiver. May need a little bit of time to get it all down, but i dont expect its going to take long before hes contributing regularly in lesser roles. I dont think he will need a full redshirt like Patmon got.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He's not starting early, but he's going to get a decent amount of rotational snaps. And word is, his blocking has been on point. 

If he balls out, it's not crazy to see him getting top 3 WR snaps by mid season, especially if we start running 2 bigs out wide at a time.

I think he's threatening Pascal's snaps the most. It also depends on if Pittman can run out of the slot. 

Oh,  I think he is gonna get plenty of action,   but he has a lot to prove before he takes snaps from Pascal, Pittman or Hilton

Archived