Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Offseason 2.0

I’ll preface this by saying in Ballard’s 4 classes he’s drafted atleast 8 players in every draft and made multiple trades in all of them.

We currently have 6 picks and I don't see us finishing the draft without 8-9 players selected, I wanted to have a purpose behind the trades I made and I tried to make the draft trades as realistic as possible for both teams

In-House: ($43.6m in cap)

Restructuring Ryan Kelly - Saving $6.75m 

Trade Jack Doyle to the Patriots for P155 - Saving $4.5m

Colts Free Agents: ($54.8m in cap)

Xavier Rhodes - $16m/2

Justin Houston - $20m/2

TJ Carrie - $1m/1

Al-Quadin Muhammad - $3m/1

George Odum - $1m/1

Ashton Dulin - $540k/1

Zach Pascal - $2.2m/1

Mo Alie-Cox - $2.2m/1

Rhodes - Whether he re-signs or leaves I think we need to add 2 corners in the offseason, I don’t see Ballard letting him go unless he demands crazy $

Houston - I’m not the biggest fan of the edge class and I don’t think Ballard will pay big for any of the free agents DEs. Houston’s our best bet and was more productive last year than his stats show.

Free Agency: ($26.8m in cap) 

Zach Ertz TE - $5m/1

Marvin Jones WR - $21m/2

James Hurst OT - $2.5m/1

Deatrich Wise DE $10m/2

Todd Davis LB - $1m/1

Ertz - Philly is likely to cut him, he’d be a favorite to land here and reunite with Frank and Wentz

Jones - Gives us room to address other needs in the draft, while filling a crucial need for a few years. Pittman, Jones, and Campbell can be fantastic, especially if PC breaks out and stays healthy.

Hurst - A cheap option to start at LT until our rookie takes over.

Wise - Would be filling the Autry role, giving us a rotational player that you can put anywhere on the DL.

Davis - LB competition and potential depth.

Trading 21 (800) to Baltimore for 27 + ‘22 2nd (around 820)

Lamar gets a WR1 in Rashod Bateman

Trading 27 (680) to Dallas for 44 + 75 (675)

Dallas gets much needed secondary help in Trevon Moehrig

The Cowboys are a playoff team in position to jump back into the first round, rather than the rebuilding teams that have picks in early R2

Draft: 

R2P44 - Greg Newsome II CB Northwestern

R2P54 - Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa

R3P75 - Patrick Jones DE Pittsburgh

R4123 - Brady Christensen OT BYU

R5155 (from NE) - Tamorrion Terry WR FSU

R5162 - Divine Deablo LB/S Virginia Tech

R6203 - Jermar Jefferson RB Oregon State

R7243 - Brendan Jaimes OT Nebraska

Newsome - I think CB is still a need even if Rhodes returns. Newsome can play on both boundaries, off and press man, and is excellent in zone coverage. He’s one of my favorites in the entire class.

Nixon - Another one of my favorites in the draft. Nixon's insanely athletic at 300 lbs, is already a good run defender and I think his potential as an disruptive interior pass rusher is huge. Mixing him on a line with Houston, Buckner, and Stewart would be a much needed boost.

Jones - He’s an athletic freak at DE and another player whose pass rush upside is huge, and while I’m weary about the Colts developing pass rushers, I think Jones is someone they can take a risk on.

Christensen - I think Brady is going to be a draft riser, he’s got an incredible football IQ at the position, and only allowed one sack in 409 pass block snaps in 2020.

He’ll need to improve his strength to handle the better DEs in the NFL but he’s got the potential to be a stonewall at the position for years.

Terry - He's 6'4" and has the perfect mix of speed, strength, burst, and agility. A playmaking downfield threat that I think has the ability to be a true WR2 on a team. He has issues with drops but if he can fix that, the ceiling as a WR is skyhigh.

Deablo - Versatility at LB/S, can contribute on ST

Jefferson - A quick change of pace back, would be the RB4 behind Wilkins.

Jaimes - Late round OL depth, PS candidate 

So first, thanks for taking the time out and having the courage to put this out. Can also tell you did a lot of research. It’s also refreshing to hear someone say that they tried to make a purpose behind trades because that’s something I think a lot of people forget to when predicting trades. 

First off I really like the FA. The Eagles cutting Ertz and the Colts scooping him up to re-unite with Wentz is honestly brilliant and would probably enrage Philly fans even more. I’d personally take Curtis Samuel over Jones in FA but that’s just me.

Ill admit in the draft you lost me with the Nix pick. While I love the player, I think that’s kind of high for what would be a subpackage and backup player. We have Buckner and Grover firmly entrenched as starters. 

Also round 4 seems a little too late for Ballard to draft a LT prospect when he is big on the trenches. I think he’s taking a 2nd round OT before he takes a 2nd round DT tbh.

Aside from that I have no issues. Nice job overall. Very well thought out.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ill admit in the draft you lost me with the Nix pick. While I love the player, I think that’s kind of high for what would be a subpackage and backup player. We have Buckner and Grover firmly entrenched as starters. 

Nixon's potential to be a top 5 pass rushing DT in the league ontop of being a stout run defender is why I went with him

His upside to wreck the QB is too good for me to pass up but it was between him or Carlos Basham Jr

I thought about going OT in R2 but I like Christensen at that spot a lot and think he can be better value

Well thought out mock. Some of the additions I am not the biggest fan of(Ertz), but I can see them happening so, can't really beef with it too much. 

I would also prefer we didn't spend a R2 pick on a run stuffing DT after paying 2 DTs long-term big money last year. 

Other than that - love Newsome pick up, love Christiansen at that spot in the draft. Like the Patrick Jones pick. Love Deatrich Wise at that money. Overall very solid mock. Good job. :thmup:

Really appreciate the thoughts - well thought out.  I'm always interested in hearing the mocks of others on this forum.  It always makes me identify how my assumptions are different than others here.   As far as yours goes, you seem to be willing to go with a pretty low investment to replace Costanzo.  But you're highly concerned about the CB situation.  I'm the exact opposite.  I think Ya-Sin and Marvell Tell are going to take steps forward this year, so I'm willing to add a boundary guy pretty late this year and let Rhodes go (Ballard doesn't like to buy high).  I personally like the idea of signing a low-cost swing tackle (Haeg, Roderick Johnson) as insurance, and then add a LT as our first pick in the draft.  I'd also expect trade-downs, though.  Like, trade down to the first part of the 2nd and target Dillon Radunz or Walker Little...

12 hours ago, tvturner said:

Nixon's potential to be a top 5 pass rushing DT in the league ontop of being a stout run defender is why I went with him

Buckner is already a top 5 pass rushing DT in the league though. I don’t think we need 2 when we invested a high draft pick and top of the market money in Buckner. Even in a best case scenario, Nixon would probably just walk in FA after his rookie deal because we can’t afford to pay him. Having depth on the D-line is important for sure, but not when we have that type of money invested in our current DTs.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So first, thanks for taking the time out and having the courage to put this out. Can also tell you did a lot of research. It’s also refreshing to hear someone say that they tried to make a purpose behind trades because that’s something I think a lot of people forget to when predicting trades. 

First off I really like the FA. The Eagles cutting Ertz and the Colts scooping him up to re-unite with Wentz is honestly brilliant and would probably enrage Philly fans even more. I’d personally take Curtis Samuel over Jones in FA but that’s just me.

Also round 4 seems a little too late for Ballard to draft a LT prospect when he is big on the trenches. I think he’s taking a 2nd round OT before he takes a 2nd round DT tbh.

Aside from that I have no issues. Nice job overall. Very well thought out.

Most Philly fans would care less about Ertz going to the Colts. Most actually wanted him in the trade with Wentz to go to Indy. Eagles fans know they cant keep him and honestly wanted him gone last year after he turned down a contract extension making 13 mill a season. Hes on the back end of his career and with Dallas Goedert is the future. 

However Ertz will not take 5 mill a season, even for just 1 year. I still believe he will be traded for a mid/late round pick and not hit the FA market. Someone will give up a 5th rounder for him, esp this years draft when there is no real one on one interviews, no combine, no in person visits etc. Most teams right now value 2022 picks more then 2021 at this point. 

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Most Philly fans would care less about Ertz going to the Colts. Most actually wanted him in the trade with Wentz to go to Indy. Eagles fans know they cant keep him and honestly wanted him gone last year after he turned down a contract extension making 13 mill a season. Hes on the back end of his career and with Dallas Goedert is the future. 

However Ertz will not take 5 mill a season, even for just 1 year. I still believe he will be traded for a mid/late round pick and not hit the FA market. Someone will give up a 5th rounder for him, esp this years draft when there is no real one on one interviews, no combine, no in person visits etc. Most teams right now value 2022 picks more then 2021 at this point. 

I agree on the money side but not the trade. Personally I feel like teams know he will be cut so why waste a draft pick. Teams will sit and wait or else I feel like the trade would have happened already. 

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I agree on the money side but not the trade. Personally I feel like teams no he will be cut so why waste a draft pick. Teams will sit and wait or else I feel like the trade would have happened already. 

Well if you are 1 out of say 4-8 teams interested in Ertz services would you rather give up a 5th round pick or so in one of the worse and most unknown drafts in NFL history or take a shot that you will be the one to get his services? Or a pick in 2022 even which i think the Eagles are more interested in. I think a few of those teams might think the trade might be the better option if you feel he is a big upgrade on a team that only needs a few pieces to get to the next level. Small price to pay to be sure your the one who lands him. There is no lock where he would go if he hit the FA market. hes from California and two teams are looking for his services from that area. 

As for the trade not happening yet, i think you can look at it a different way. if they were going to just release him, they would have done that already. they already tech released Alshon and DJax.  I think thats more of the Eagles putting a hold on a trade. Rumor is there was teams that spoke with the Eagles about a offer just a few weeks ago. Hawks, Rams, Chargers and Colts. I think the Eagles are looking to wait since they have plenty of time till June 1st to make a move and could drive up a price if more teams dont get a TE they want in the draft or FA. As mentioned before I think the Eagles would rather have a 2022 pick as well so it doesnt force them to trade him before this draft. So there is no rush. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well if you are 1 out of say 4-8 teams interested in Ertz services would you rather give up a 5th round pick or so in one of the worse and most unknown drafts in NFL history or take a shot that you will be the one to get his services? Or a pick in 2022 even which i think the Eagles are more interested in. I think a few of those teams might think the trade might be the better option if you feel he is a big upgrade on a team that only needs a few pieces to get to the next level. Small price to pay to be sure your the one who lands him. There is no lock where he would go if he hit the FA market. hes from California and two teams are looking for his services from that area. 

As for the trade not happening yet, i think you can look at it a different way. if they were going to just release him, they would have done that already. they already tech released Alshon and DJax.  I think thats more of the Eagles putting a hold on a trade. Rumor is there was teams that spoke with the Eagles about a offer just a few weeks ago. Hawks, Rams, Chargers and Colts. I think the Eagles are looking to wait since they have plenty of time till June 1st to make a move and could drive up a price if more teams dont get a TE they want in the draft or FA. As mentioned before I think the Eagles would rather have a 2022 pick as well so it doesnt force them to trade him before this draft. So there is no rush. 

They want to release him before the league year of March 15 or 17th whatever. Why? Because they are negative cap space. They have to be right before that date. They aren’t waiting and not keeping him until next year either. The next two weeks you will have a lot of players being released because of cap casualties. Ertz is just that. Teams who “were interested” can see now that no one is making a move. They are will big to wait. Ertz was great at one point but now he is a good vet. 

As for the draft... not sure why you claim this is the worst in history because I would say you are way off. 

17 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

They want to release him before the league year of March 15 or 17th whatever. Why? Because they are negative cap space. They have to be right before that date. They aren’t waiting and not keeping him until next year either. The next two weeks you will have a lot of players being released because of cap casualties. Ertz is just that. Teams who “were interested” can see now that no one is making a move. They are will big to wait. Ertz was great at one point but now he is a good vet. 

As for the draft... not sure why you claim this is the worst in history because I would say you are way off. 

It is the most unpredictable draft. Scouts have a very hard time to really go deep into the draft process. No scouting combine. No individual workouts or interviews. A good amount of the players did not play last year. Those who did play were playing teams that had good players who opted out or full teams opted out. So not saying its the worst player draft. Saying its the worst draft to really get a feel on with the players and what you are going to get. 

As for Ertz,  we will see. the date is creeping up quickly. 

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

It is the most unpredictable draft. Scouts have a very hard time to really go deep into the draft process. No scouting combine. No individual workouts or interviews. A good amount of the players did not play last year. Those who did play were playing teams that had good players who opted out or full teams opted out. So not saying its the worst player draft. Saying its the worst draft to really get a feel on with the players and what you are going to get. 

As for Ertz,  we will see. the date is creeping up quickly. 

I agree it’s going to be a crazy draft because some players don’t have a ton of tape. Scouts and GM’s have their work cut out for them this year. Now there is still a virtual combine and players have done virtual pro days and virtual interviews. If anything the basics are still there to be seen. 40’s 3 cone throwing or position drills to an extent, bench, etc...

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I agree it’s going to be a crazy draft because some players don’t have a ton of tape. Scouts and GM’s have their work cut out for them this year. Now there is still a virtual combine and players have done virtual pro days and virtual interviews. If anything the basics are still there to be seen. 40’s 3 cone throwing or position drills to an extent, bench, etc...

Im not a big fan of the virtual combines or pro days. They are not very official. Last week in a lot of those combines they were clocking so many players in the 4.2's and 4.3's for the 40 time which was not realistic. That is what makes the NFL combine so important. Everything is consistent across the board and more realistic. Same with interviews. It is so much different in person then on a computer. It really is a huge downside this year to the process. As someone who has NFL experience from the inside, I can say this will play a major this year in the draft. On the positive side though you should have less amount of people rising and falling so much since ther is no combine stars or people having poor in person interviews. 

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Im not a big fan of the virtual combines or pro days. They are not very official. Last week in a lot of those combines they were clocking so many players in the 4.2's and 4.3's for the 40 time which was not realistic. That is what makes the NFL combine so important. Everything is consistent across the board and more realistic. Same with interviews. It is so much different in person then on a computer. It really is a huge downside this year to the process. As someone who has NFL experience from the inside, I can say this will play a major this year in the draft. On the positive side though you should have less amount of people rising and falling so much since ther is no combine stars or people having poor in person interviews. 

The virtual combine hasn’t happened yet. They still have laser timed 40’s along with hand timed. Just like any pro day they do hand times and players leave the combine and have a better time at their pro day. Very common and scouts or GM’s aren’t going to look to much into that this year either I don’t think. But yes obviously in person everything would be better. 

Archived