Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: Colts get a pass rusher

Here's Mel Kiper's new mock draft:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades

The Colts' pick:

21. Indianapolis Colts - Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

The Colts would probably love to get a tackle to replace the retired Anthony Costanzo, but I don't see a great fit based on my rankings. (They could solve the issue by kicking All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson outside.) Instead they can address their pass rush and get younger with Justin Houston likely leaving in free agency. Rousseau, who opted out of the 2020 season, had 15.5 sacks in 2019, though he's still raw. I'm interested in seeing his testing numbers at his pro day next month. Indianapolis should have a few options to take its preferred edge rusher here because the class lacks elite prospects.

Some interesting moves/picks:

- Atlanta moves to 2 to pick Zach Wilson

- Jets pick Kyle Pitts at 4

- 49ers trade up to 7 for Justin Fields

- Carolina pick Mac Jones at no. 8

- Pats trade up to no. 9 for Trey Lance

- Caleb Farley falls to 15 to the Broncos

- Kadarius Toney goes no. 20 to the Bears

- Colts pick Gregory Rousseau with Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips still on the board

- Landon Dickerson still goes R1 (to the Steelers(24) despite his injury

- Walker Little sneaks into R1 to the Chiefs

• stitches changed the title to Mel Kiper 2021 Mock Draft: Colts get a pass rusher
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30957145/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-new-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-including-mac-jones-trey-lance-three-trades

The Colts' pick:

- Colts pick Gregory Rousseau with Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips still on the board

"Rousseau, who opted out of the 2020 season, had 15.5 sacks in 2019, though he's still raw."

I'm not a draft guy and I don't pretend to be one, but when I see "HE DIDNT PLAY LAST YEAR", that's a bit of a red flag for the first round pick.  (and he's raw, way to really sell the pick.. lol)

The more I have watched Rousseau...the more I am not sure. He's very raw...and doesn't seem to really show any pass rushing moves. And lots of those sacks seem to be coverage sacks.

He's athletic no doubt...but I don't really see the bend you would want in an EDGE.

A lot of his sacks come from the interior where he just runs past some slow college-level OG. The versatility is a good thing...but it's going to be more difficult to win like that against NFL OL talent.

He seems very strong though. And he uses that to disengage from a block and his length to make a play on the ball carrier.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

The Colts' pick:

I don't think I see them taking an EDGE in the 1st round...but if they did...I don't see Ballard passing on Paye for Rousseau. 

Paye just seems like a much more refined prospect. He has pass rushing moves and really good hand usage. Plus, a very strong motor.

He is also supposed to be an athletic freak...but I want to see how he tests...because I don't think he moves as well as his former teammate, Rashan Gary.

I think Paye would be a great fit for the 4-3. Sort of like a better version of what they had hoped Lewis would be.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't think I see them taking an EDGE in the 1st round...but if they did...I don't see Ballard passing on Paye for Rousseau. 

Paye just seems like a much more refined prospect. He has pass rushing moves and really good hand usage. Plus, a very strong motor.

He is also supposed to be an athletic freak...but I want to see how he tests...because I don't think he moves as well as his former teammate, Rashan Gary.

I think Paye would be a great fit for the 4-3. Sort of like a better version of what they had hoped Lewis would be.

The reports about Paye are that he ran 6.38 3cone at 6'4" 270lbs(which would be second best 3cone time of all time by any position player at the combine). Rumors are there is a video of it and he might be sending it to select teams. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The reports about Paye are that he ran 6.38 3cone at 6'4" 270lbs(which would be second best 3cone time of all time by any position player at the combine). Rumors are there is a video of it and he might be sending it to select teams. 

If that’s true and gets validated then he will be a top pick for sure. That’s freak athleticism for his size. 

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

If that’s true and gets validated then he will be a top pick for sure. That’s freak athleticism for his size. 

Seems like the video is out there already... 

Go to 1:16:06

No idea how they will verify it frame by frame but oh well... either way... he looks incredibly impressive moving and bending. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

No more "raw" DEs please, no matter what the ceiling might be.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see ATL and NYJ swap picks.

That's easier said than done. If an edge prospect is extremely athletic, but lacks technical prowess, we call him "raw. If he's got technical prowess, but lacks athleticism, he's usually a "high floor, low ceiling" guy. If he's athletic and has technical prowess, he's a top 5-10 draft pick.

If we're drafting an edge rusher, there's going to be some give either way. Most teams tend to lean towards drafting the guy with the physical tools with the mindset that you can teach technique, but you can't teach the athletic traits. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an edge rusher that's considered "raw" that you think can be coached on technique.

Our recent track record isn't the best, but Turay's biggest issue has been recovery from his injury. Lewis was drafted as a DE/3T tweener, which wasn't the best idea, but he looked better last season. Banogu was drafted as a DE/off-ball LB, which IMO was just a bad draft pick. As long as we're not spending a 1st round pick on a raw edge rusher, I'm ok with it.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Want to see it to believe it.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Want to see it to believe it.

Posted the video above. I don't know how to verify the time is real. 

People on twitter posting their timing of the said video... times vary between 6.31 and 6.71 ... even if you take the upper limit it's still incredibly impressive. BUT... no idea if the video is frame by frame vetted. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Seems like the video is out there already... 

Go to 1:16:06

No idea how they will verify it frame by frame but oh well... either way... he looks incredibly impressive moving and bending. 

And he did it at nearly 280!! Wow. He wants to get down to 260 so he should have a little quicker step. That’s just impressive. Thank you for the video. 

Interesting indeed. I would have definitely taken Paye in this case. I just find it fascinating each year with the holes that the Colts have on their roster and how each year Ballard seems to fill a good amount of them via re-signs and "smaller" free agent acquisitions. Because us armchair GM's find it easy by picking certain positions via Free Agency and then support our missing pieces via the draft. Too easy for us haha.

With that being said, if Ballard doesn't get an LT via free agent, I see no way he passes up an LT early in the draft (1st or 2nd round). Which leaves us wondering like kids at Christmas what that other position is going to be picked.

If Paye is still on the board at 21, it would be difficult to pass on 

We REALLY need a LT....  We REALLY need a DE

We need these more than other spots of need (TE, CB) IMHO 

If Paye is there, Id take him, then work (via trade) to get the 54th pick into the 40's to get a starting caliber LT

Paye seems ready to play today.

15 hours ago, Shive said:

That's easier said than done. If an edge prospect is extremely athletic, but lacks technical prowess, we call him "raw. If he's got technical prowess, but lacks athleticism, he's usually a "high floor, low ceiling" guy. If he's athletic and has technical prowess, he's a top 5-10 draft pick.

If we're drafting an edge rusher, there's going to be some give either way. Most teams tend to lean towards drafting the guy with the physical tools with the mindset that you can teach technique, but you can't teach the athletic traits. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an edge rusher that's considered "raw" that you think can be coached on technique.

Our recent track record isn't the best, but Turay's biggest issue has been recovery from his injury. Lewis was drafted as a DE/3T tweener, which wasn't the best idea, but he looked better last season. Banogu was drafted as a DE/off-ball LB, which IMO was just a bad draft pick. As long as we're not spending a 1st round pick on a raw edge rusher, I'm ok with it.

Turay has had 2 good games against bad OTs in his career.  All other games he's been avaerage.  No more "raw" DEs with upside please.  At least not before the 4th or 5th round.  Take players who can actually play in rounds 1 through 3.

All of the DEs and DTs Ballard has drafted should not have been taken before round 4, with Grover being the best, and who was taken in round 4 (Or 5). 

And he did not draft Buckner, he traded for a known quantity.

Archived