NFC Playoff Picture Records/Schedules/Discussion *Updated*

w87r

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Captain Kirk Drinking GIF by Star Trek

Its just crazy. Cousins is 8th in the league with a qb rating of 102.4

Tied for 7th with 29tds passes

Tied for 2nd(Russell Wilson) most Ints with 13

Been sacked the 7th most times

Overall, I just don't see him as the problem, I know @NFLfan sees ot different but I mean overall seems to be solid. Not sure of the OL situation, but despite 8th best QB rating in the league is nice.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, w87r said:

Overall, I just don't see him as the problem, I know @NFLfan sees ot different but I mean overall seems to be solid. Not sure of the OL situation, but despite 8th best QB rating in the league is nice.

I agree, I like him, Jefferson, and Cook - that is a nice big 3. There D was a problem against Chicago.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

I don't evaluate quarterbacks by volume stats alone. See Blake Bortles 2015. Did you ever think Bortles was good? Looking at only his stats for that year (4400+ yards, 35 TDs), one would think he is a pretty good QB. Yet if you watched the games, he was not very good. He made poor decisions all the time. (He threw 18 INTs too.)

Here is an example of my way of thinking:

Getting a first down using a hard count to draw the opponent offsides is as good as getting a first down any other way. It does not show up in the stats but the QB got the job done in that moment: he moved the chains. What I am saying is that stats are not the be all end all. How a QB plays is the most important. I hate to admit it but I love how Aaron Rodgers plays. He extends drives that helps all his teammates look good and he makes good decisions. 

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't evaluate quarterbacks by volume stats alone. See Blake Bortles 2015. Did you ever think Bortles was good? Looking at only his stats for that year (4400+ yards, 35 TDs), one would think he is a pretty good QB. Yet if you watched the games, he was not very good. He made poor decisions all the time. (He threw 18 INTs too.)

Getting a first down using a hard count to draw the opponent offsides is as good as getting a first down any other way. It does not show up in the stats but the QB got the job done in that moment: he moved the chains. What I am saying is that stats are not the be all end all. How a QB plays is the most important. I hate to admit it but I love how Aaron Rodgers plays. He extends drives that helps all his teammates look good and he makes good decisions. 

I am with you on your train of thought but comparing Bortles to Cousins has me puzzled. Cousins is clearly better.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Stats are clearly not the tell all, there are definitely nuances that come into affect, but Cousins is usually rated in the top 10-15 qbs "statistically".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/kirk-cousins-comparable-qbs-thru-93-games/amp

Kirk Cousins, first 93 games:

24,107 Passing Yards | 155 Passing TDs | 71 INTs | 96.8 Passer Rating | 66.9 Completion %

stats before this season ^^^^, has improved on that as well.

Bottles had 1 good year essentially, so that comparison doesn't hold up, IMO.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm

Lets just agree on that.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am with you on your train of thought but comparing Bortles to Cousins has me puzzled. Cousins is clearly better.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Stats are clearly not the tell all, there are definitely nuances that come into affect, but Cousins is usually rated in the top 10-15 qbs "statistically".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/kirk-cousins-comparable-qbs-thru-93-games/amp

Kirk Cousins, first 93 games:

24,107 Passing Yards | 155 Passing TDs | 71 INTs | 96.8 Passer Rating | 66.9 Completion %

stats before this season ^^^^, has improved on that as well.

Bottles had 1 good year essentially, so that comparison doesn't hold up, IMO.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm

Lets just agree on that.

Look what I originally responded to. I was just giving a reason why stats should not be used to judge a QB's performance in a season. Bringing up career stats does not change my main point which is that one's season stats does not always give a true picture of how a QB is playing. I was not comparing Cousins to Bortles. I was using Bortles season stats that year to show that it did not matter what his stats looked like. When you watched him play, he was not really good regardless of those gaudy stats. 

1 minute ago, teganslaw said:

@NFLfan, don't you know you're not suppose to like Aaron Rodgers. Being a Vikings fan, even if you like the way Rodgers plays, you don't admit it. This goes against everything the NFC North stands for. :default_20smile:

Lol. I don't like him as a person. In fact, I would not want him as my QB. However, he plays football the way I like QBs to play. I like that he extends drives and scans the field for several seconds, allowing his receivers to become open. He feels pressure better than any QB. Mahomes is similar.

I don't want Rodgers as a Viking just like I did not want Favre, but I like the way he plays. I want a QB who plays that way. I like Russell Wilson too.

(Btw, while I did not want Favre because he came from the enemy, he played great football and gave us happy memories.)

Cardinals 8-6(SF, @LAR)

Bears 7-7 (@JAC, GB) 

Vikings 6-8 (@NO, @DET)

If Vikings can come back and win this game, they would need to beat Detroit next week while having Arizona lose to SF and LAR, and Bears lose to Jags or Packers, to make the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

TB clinched playoff berth.

Cardinals can clinch with win today and loss by Bears tomorrow. If Bears and Cardinals both end up 9-7, Bears will make the playoffs.

Only other open spot will be the winner of the NFC Least.

Bucs most likely playing Least

Brady if Giants get into playoffs

Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

Just now, w87r said:

Yep, but hopefully Mike Glennon can beat his old team tomorrow.

Would be sweet for them to possibly take themselves back out of Lawrence race again.

If there was a way to clinch a spot in Week 16 I would be fine losing in Week 17 to keep TL out of Jacksonville 

I'm not sure if that's possible 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

If there was a way to clinch a spot in Week 16 I would be fine losing in Week 17 to keep TL out of Jacksonville 

I'm not sure if that's possible 

We can clinch with dolphins/ or ravens loss and winning at Pittsburgh.

We would still have a shot at division though

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

who do they play 17

Green Bay

Always felt the NFC is a joke conference that belongs in the NCAA football leagues.

Other than the Saints, Packers, and Seahawks, the rest of the conference is full of soft finesse teams that would make the 2000s Colts look like the the 2000s Patriots in terms of physical play.

56 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Always felt the NFC is a joke conference that belongs in the NCAA football leagues.

Other than the Saints, Packers, and Seahawks, the rest of the conference is full of soft finesse teams that would make the 2000s Colts look like the the 2000s Patriots in terms of physical play.

*The San Francisco 49ers have entered the chat*

Eagles eliminated from playoffs

Bears currently in 7th spot.

Cardinals looking in.

GB need to win tonight to stay in front of NFC.

3 way tie with NO, SEA would give NO #1 next week.

Will update NFC after tonights game.

Washington clinches division with win next week

Cowboys clinch division with win and Football team loss

Giants clinch division with win and Washington  loss

Archived