Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baldinger’s Breakdown vs Ravens

Bravo

These breakdowns usually show film of Nelson demolishing his opponent.

This time is shows how bad Rivers is under pressure. His accuracy and decision making severely struggle anytime he has to move in the pocket at all.

Side note: The Colts offensive line actually played pretty darn well.

That got pretty ugly at times. Seems like he rolled out of nonexistent pressure once or twice, and when Rivers rolls out, usually nothing good is gonna come of it.

WR’s probably didn’t help issues, but it almost seemed like Rivers didn’t trust his own arm at times.

Also, that miss to Pittman at 3:40 looks a lot worse than what I thought on Sunday. 

The other frustrating part is the receivers and Burton did not have good spatial awareness. They sometimes ran into the coverage than sitting in a vacant zone during a blitz and Rivers would have found you staring at him if they sat. Rivers was bad, no doubt but the receivers did not help either. Rivers, you are not a spring chicken, just move back instead of laterally if you cannot step into your throws, you are not going to outrun even the fattest DL they have, just FYI. Just hit the open man as soon as you see him open.

On that 4th & 1, really Burton, you expect to run across the field and Philip to find you when all you needed was a yard? As soon as you got that free release off the line of scrimmage, sit down in the flipping zone and you will get the 2 yards needed for the first down. The situational awareness of our entire offense from QB to receivers is downright putrid.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, if you watched the gam Rivers was under more pressure the entire second half than in the first half.  The 4th down play would have scored a TD since Burton was heading left and wide open.

Rivers did not get the time to hit him, there in lies the issue. The middle was open too, could have gotten the first down faster if Burton sat in the middle than hitting him a second later when his mental clock was speeding up. We are not talking about Luck here who would sit back there and take a hit and thus be able to see guys coming open a second later. There in lies the issue. 

Sometimes, I have no idea what play was called and what a QB is thinking. Do you hit an open guy because he is open though he was not your first 2 reads, and you have a lane to throw OR stick to the play called and not improvise even at the cost of the completion? 

No doubt, the offense lost the game.  They also put the D on the field too long in the second half.

But I have to wonder, without watching the All 22, when we're rushing 4, how do their receivers get so wide open?  Are the zones so spread out that there are that many gaps???

I think Jackson was perfect in the second half.  We stopped the run, forced them to throw.  And when they did, they were mostly successful.

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No doubt, the offense lost the game.  They also put the D on the field too long in the second half.

But I have to wonder, without watching the All 22, when we're rushing 4, how do their receivers get so wide open?  Are the zones so spread out that there are that many gaps???

I think Jackson was perfect in the second half.  We stopped the run, forced them to throw.  And when they did, they were mostly successful.

They weren't wide open. Jackson just hit them as they came open in the zone. If you remember the 2017 SB, Agholor, Ertz, Jeffrey all flooded the zones in the Patriots defense. So, when you send out multiple pass catchers that flood different zones, it is up to the QB to recognize them as they come open inside the zone and time it right. That is why we refer to elite QBs picking apart zones, because they recognize the guy is about to come open behind a defender in a zone and if he throws it fast and early enough, he will hit them. That is what happened with Snead and Brown and the TEs in those zones.

Start watching from 4:38 here:

Because you have to honor Lamar's running, the flats will either be open if the pass catchers come back or Lamar gets clear running lanes. Give credit where it is due. Lamar made some accurate throws in the second half.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There is a soft spot in Cover 2 in the intermediate middle of the field.  This is where Balt was successful in the 3Q. There are soft spots in every zone.  You need the pressure to get there for this not to be constantly exploited.  

Against Baltimore, you saw our guys mush rushing most of the time meaning they are pushing mostly, not stunting, slashing, spinning, etc.  The reason you have to do this against Baltimore is because Jackson will kill you if you don't by running thru the lane vacated by the stunter or the skinny player.  This is just something that must be accepted against Balitmore IMO.

Baltimore is going to have a drive or two.  Without a doubt, the pass rushers were exhausted being on the field for 18:30 of the first 20 minutes of the half.  Pass rushing is the hardest thing to do physically in football.  In Cover 2, you MUST get a pass rush from the front four.  

So I think the defense was great, but if you give a team 35 plays to the offenses 4 in any 20 minute segment of the game, you are going to be in trouble.  All zones have gaps.  Man has places to exploit. But none of these defenses can work if you have your pass rushers exhausted.  The offense running four plays in a Q and a third would kill any defense.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Rivers did not get the time to hit him, there in lies the issue. The middle was open too, could have gotten the first down faster if Burton sat in the middle than hitting him a second later when his mental clock was speeding up. We are not talking about Luck here who would sit back there and take a hit and thus be able to see guys coming open a second later. There in lies the issue. 

Sometimes, I have no idea what play was called and what a QB is thinking. Do you hit an open guy because he is open though he was not your first 2 reads, and you have a lane to throw OR stick to the play called and not improvise even at the cost of the completion? 

Looked like Burton was doing a shallow corner route and would have had plenty of separation to catch and turn up field.  Rivers saw it and threw but the defenders arm got their too fast.  Was an easy throw for Rivers.

At the time I thought it was dumb not to go for the FG.  But reconsidering that since that was probably the closest we would get to the endzone, going for it there was probably our only realistic chance of getting a TD as the game was winding down.  We could have later moved the ball 30 yards for a FG on the next drive, but hitting a big scoring play wasn't going to happen given our offense.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Looked like Burton was doing a shallow corner route and would have had plenty of separation to catch and turn up field.  Rivers saw it and threw but the defenders arm got their too fast.  Was an easy throw for Rivers.

Yes, it was an easy throw but with the blitz, it took too much time before Rivers could wind up and finish his throwing motion. He probably expected his OL to give him just a tad second more, oh well it was not meant to be. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

At the time I thought it was dumb not to go for the FG.  But reconsidering that since that was probably the closest we would get to the endzone, going for it there was probably our only realistic chance of getting a TD as the game was winding down.  We could have later moved the ball 30 yards for a FG on the next drive, but hitting a big scoring play wasn't going to happen given our offense.

I think a desperation TD drive with no TOs against the Balt Blitz would have been a taller order than hitting that 4th and 1, (the play would have probably been a TD with a fraction of a second of more time), getting a TD, then trying to get a desperation field goal drive with no TOs.

I probably would have kicked it, but I don't know if that's the correct call there.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think a desperation TD drive with no TOs against the Balt Blitz would have been a taller order than hitting that 4th and 1, (the play would have probably been a TD with a fraction of a second of more time), getting a TD, then trying to get a desperation field goal drive with no TOs.

I probably would have kicked it, but I don't know if that's the correct call there.

It's the same ol thing. Had the Colts made a TD or a 1st down it would have been seen as a great call. 

Being it didn't work it is now a bad call. 

There are some fans who like the go for it attitude, while some don't. 

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't haha

35 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Agreed.

I don't know exactly where we were on the field, but it would have been a short FG.  If we were stalled at the 30, you need to kick it and then hope you can defy chances and work it down to the goal line the next drive for the TD.

But since we're down so close, I think going for the 4th down and the TD is the smart thing, since you could then kick a FG if the next drive stalled outside of the red zone.  

Basically, getting both the needed FG and TD was easier by going for it then rather than hoping you would get down far enough to get the TD the second drive. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah I'm disagree with baldy some of those plays were not clean in the pocket and rivers was pressured alot to where he couldn't even get his on eye the 2nd read

Baldy praises and defends the oline a lot. 

What he doesn't reveal is all of the other plays where Rivers was getting pressured in the second half.  Rivers is a little skittish on the plays Baldy shows because he is getting also pressured on plays Baldy doesn't show.

We couldn't run or pass very well in the second half.  BALT controlling the LOS had more than a little to do with that. 

Archived