Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Take On Freeney Situation

BProland85

Just going back a ways, I was one of the first who supported trading Freeney for draft picks to better the team elsewhere. That being said, I still am in support of that IF and only IF we can get a 3rd or higher. I would think we should be able to get that kind of value considering he would be willing to extend his deal with his future team before the deal would be made.

I love Freeney for what he has done for us, but I dont see him fitting very well, and even if he does, we still have plenty of pass rushing talent outside of Freeney. Mathis should be able to fill the "Terrell Suggs role" fine, and I for one still want to see what Jerry Hughes can do in the 3-4 when given the chance to play more. Plus Philip Wheeler should be retained since he wont be too costly. Keeping Freeney would just delay that even more.

If we can get a good enough draft pick or picks, or even another good starting player from another team, why not go for it and help your team where there is bigger needs like TE, CB, NT, or WR?

I think the team is creating a market for a trade by claiming he is in Indy to stay. Teams would otherwises wait for him to be cut. I suspect the goal is to work a draft day trade, possibly packaging Freeney with a 3th and a 6th to move back into mid-to-late first (or something like that).

I think the team is creating a market for a trade by claiming he is in Indy to stay. Teams would otherwises wait for him to be cut. I suspect the goal is to work a draft day trade, possibly packaging Freeney with a 3th and a 6th to move back into mid-to-late first (or something like that).

Id be fine with that. Player Id love to see targeted in the mid 1st include WR Michael Floyd, NT Dontari Poe, DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, and OG David DeCastro. Hopefully we can get TE Coby Fleener with the 34th pick.

My guess is he will be released or traded for a late round draft pick around draft time right before or right after also I also enjoyed watching Freeny but 19 million for one year is unreasonable, Im sure their is a plan, as for trading him I certainly dont see us getting a 3rd rounder or better, hes thirty two and his production has dropped two years in a row, some because of Mathis yes but, last year he looked old and playing hurt like he hurt a leg or ankle, their was a noticeable limp in a couple games

My guess is he will be released or traded for a late round draft pick around draft time right before or right after also I also enjoyed watching Freeny but 19 million for one year is unreasonable, Im sure their is a plan, as for trading him I certainly dont see us getting a 3rd rounder or better, hes thirty two and his production has dropped two years in a row, some because of Mathis yes but, last year he looked old and playing hurt like he hurt a leg or ankle, their was a noticeable limp in a couple games

If Tim Tebow can fetch a 4th, or Asante Samuel can fetch a 3rd(reported), why cant Freeney bring a 3rd or better? Freeney is every bit as good as Samuel, if not more valuable. Plus they are about the same age, actually Freeney may be younger.

It appears as if the Colts can afford his $19 mill salary or they would have already cut him. What impact players could we bring in at this point to fill the $14 mill empty cap space? I guess my point is, if the FO/staff felt the team would be better without DFree they would have already cut ties, and there is no reason to cut him if there are not quality players on the market to fill the empty cap space. Cutting DFree and filling the roster with warm camp bodies isn't a smart move. It would also be a mistake to rework his deal now since it isn't clear how he will do in the new scheme. I'm assuming we are able to sign draft picks and possibly a FA NT and Wheeler or another lower level LB or CB with the remaining cap room (I haven't been following where we are at so this could be a wrong assumption).

That being said, I have been a proponent of trading him if we can get solid compensation. Otherwise, let him play out this year and either sign him back or let him leave in hopes of getting a high comp pick next year.

It appears as if the Colts can afford his $19 mill salary or they would have already cut him. What impact players could we bring in at this point to fill the $14 mill empty cap space? I guess my point is, if the FO/staff felt the team would be better without DFree they would have already cut ties, and there is no reason to cut him if there are not quality players on the market to fill the empty cap space. Cutting DFree and filling the roster with warm camp bodies isn't a smart move. It would also be a mistake to rework his deal now since it isn't clear how he will do in the new scheme. I'm assuming we are able to sign draft picks and possibly a FA NT with the remaining cap room (I haven't been following where we are at so this could be a wrong assumption).

That being said, I have been a proponent of trading him if we can get solid compensation. Otherwise, let him play out this year and either sign him back or let him leave in hopes of getting a high comp pick next year.

NTs Antonio Garay and Brandon McKinney are still out there, as is OLB Philip Wheeler. The rest we can just save and carry over to next year. Id rather have Antonio Garay and Wheeler over Freeney anyhow, plus we would have added draft picks in the trade.

If Tim Tebow can fetch a 4th, or Asante Samuel can fetch a 3rd(reported), why cant Freeney bring a 3rd or better? Freeney is every bit as good as Samuel, if not more valuable. Plus they are about the same age, actually Freeney may be younger.

all true, but when their are pass rushers that can also run stop in the draft that are younger and cheaper that seems like a more likely option then trading a 3rd rounder for Freeny, thats what I mean, thats why I say we probably wont draw a third round pick or better

all true, but when their are pass rushers that can also run stop in the draft that are younger and cheaper that seems like a more likely option then trading a 3rd rounder for Freeny, thats what I mean, thats why I say we probably wont draw a third round pick or better

4-3 pass rushers take time to develop. A team that wants to win now like the Pats, Eagles, Bears would make sense to trade for a guy who is a premier pass rusher now, rather than wait another 2-3 years to develop one.

For another team to be able to accept a trade for him, won't his new "agent" need to work out a deal with that team that both sides agree with? Another team will not take him if he is not going to restructure his contract once they trade for him. Once this is done, then a draft day trade can happen. By telling Freeney that he has to learn and play in a 3-4 which will make is market value drop dramatically, he will be more willing to except another teams multi-year pre-trade offer. I have no question that we are just setting the stage for a trade. I just hope we get one. Love the excitement of starting over. :cool:

Just going back a ways, I was one of the first who supported trading Freeney for draft picks to better the team elsewhere. That being said, I still am in support of that IF and only IF we can get a 3rd or higher. I would think we should be able to get that kind of value considering he would be willing to extend his deal with his future team before the deal would be made.

I love Freeney for what he has done for us, but I dont see him fitting very well, and even if he does, we still have plenty of pass rushing talent outside of Freeney. Mathis should be able to fill the "Terrell Suggs role" fine, and I for one still want to see what Jerry Hughes can do in the 3-4 when given the chance to play more. Plus Philip Wheeler should be retained since he wont be too costly. Keeping Freeney would just delay that even more.

If we can get a good enough draft pick or picks, or even another good starting player from another team, why not go for it and help your team where there is bigger needs like TE, CB, NT, or WR?

Here is what I think Jerry Hughes will do in the 3-4:

I keep saying it, but I don't see anyway possible(outside of an extension and restructure) that the Colts can even fill out the rest of the roster as long as Freeney's outrageous and irresponsible cap hit is on the books. Maybe they have more money than has been reported or maybe they are dividing the dead cap space over 2 yrs., but I still think something has to be done.

NTs Antonio Garay and Brandon McKinney are still out there, as is OLB Philip Wheeler. The rest we can just save and carry over to next year. Id rather have Antonio Garay and Wheeler over Freeney anyhow, plus we would have added draft picks in the trade.

I agree been saying dump Freeney big fan of his but 19 mill just too much this year.38 million dead money dump him grab Garay resign Wheeler next year we have millions to spend finish up needs then win afc south

I keep saying it, but I don't see anyway possible(outside of an extension and restructure) that the Colts can even fill out the rest of the roster as long as Freeney's outrageous and irresponsible cap hit is on the books. Maybe they have more money than has been reported or maybe they are dividing the dead cap space over 2 yrs., but I still think something has to be done.

No i read all 38 million is on this year i read the article where they tried to split it up but cant find does anyone have the link?

Talent-wise getting more for him than these guys is a no brainier. The problem is no one wants to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for a guy with only 1 year left on his contract, especially one they would have to pay $14m. The risk of paying him that much, then losing him is too great. I don't see him agreeing to a new contract with another team to be traded. If he stays, he gets $14m for 1 year. He's not getting that from anyone else. If he's cut, he can negotiate with 31 other teams rather than just 1 trading partner.

I think they will keep him through training camp to see how he adjusts to the 3-4. If it doesn't look good in pre-season he will be on the final cut list. If he is on the roster for week 1, his entire $14m is guaranteed, therefore the end of pre-season before week 1 is the decision date to keep or release him.

Talent-wise getting more for him than these guys is a no brainier. The problem is no one wants to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for a guy with only 1 year left on his contract, especially one they would have to pay $14m. The risk of paying him that much, then losing him is too great. I don't see him agreeing to a new contract with another team to be traded. If he stays, he gets $14m for 1 year. He's not getting that from anyone else. If he's cut, he can negotiate with 31 other teams rather than just 1 trading partner.

I think they will keep him through training camp to see how he adjusts to the 3-4. If it doesn't look good in pre-season he will be on the final cut list. If he is on the roster for week 1, his entire $14m is guaranteed, therefore the end of pre-season before week 1 is the decision date to keep or release him.

How many times I gotta say this? The future team trading for him can easily negotiate an extention BEFORE making the deal to trade for him. Agents can work those things out before trades happen to get us the best compensation for Freeney.

How many times I gotta say this? The future team trading for him can easily negotiate an extention BEFORE making the deal to trade for him. Agents can work those things out before trades happen to get us the best compensation for Freeney.

Besides, I really doubt he's going to see $19m from the Colts either. It'll be renegotiate with Colts or be traded and renegotiate with new team.

I know that, but what I said is, he won't agree to a new contract with another team to be traded. It doesn't make sense for him to do that. Another team would not agree to a contract that would pay him $14m, which is what he would get from the Colts. Whatever deal he could make with another team will be there if he gets cut, or he may even get a better deal with a completely different team that doesn't want to trade what the Colts may be asking for.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I am saying there is no reason for Freeney to agree to an extension with another team unless they are going to guarantee him over $14m, and I don't see any team doing that.

He still had 8.5 sacks 2011 season, pretty good even with the limp and the crappy season overall for the Colts. I hope they keep him, understanding 19mil is just too much for 1 year, but I expect they will renegotiate and keep him.. I am hoping, I think Freeney is still a great assest for the D!

He still had 8.5 sacks 2011 season, pretty good even with the limp and the crappy season overall for the Colts. I hope they keep him, understanding 19mil is just too much for 1 year, but I expect they will renegotiate and keep him.. I am hoping, I think Freeney is still a great assest for the D!

His cap hit is $19m, but $5m of that is the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus that received long ago. Payment amount for this year is $14m. We are stuck with the $5m regardless of whether we keep, cut, or trade him.

His cap hit is $19m, but $5m of that is the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus that received long ago. Payment amount for this year is $14m. We are stuck with the $5m regardless of whether we keep, cut, or trade him.

so if were on the hook for 5M, keep 'em. Freeney still has some game wreckin' to do!

I think the Colts already tried to trade him, and then realized they weren't going to get anywhere near what they have invested in him. I still don't see him standing up. The guys has had his hand in the dirt forever. At least Mathis played OLB before, and expressed interest.