Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday

Korey

Do you think that since Jeff Saturday is a big part of the lockout for the players that it will drain him emotionally before the season even begins? If you look at the big picture other players are working out on their own and doing what they want. Jeff is there almost every time there is a meeting. Do you think this could hurt him for the season?

I think his age is hurting him more than attending these meetings - Jeff was never a physical brute in the first place but now in the twilight years of his career, he is definitely starting to show signs of becoming a potential liability as the season wears on and his physical tools aren't what they used to be (he was really abused by Devito against the Jets) ...I hope we have someone already on the roster ready to step in for him, because god knows we sure drafted enough centers in the last few years

(he was really abused by Devito against the Jets)

I'll agree with that. But how many other games last season was he at his best? The rest of them? The breakdown in Oline protection was not his problem. He was as awesome as ever. He will shine in his last year, for a chance at one last SB at home no less. He is also Canton-bound for sure.

I'll agree with that. But how many other games last season was he at his best? The rest of them? The breakdown in Oline protection was not his problem. He was as awesome as ever. He will shine in his last year, for a chance at one last SB at home no less. He is also Canton-bound for sure.

You're right - for the most part, he was great last year and the facts support that http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/14/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-guards-and-centers/ where he is ranked #1 in pass blocking efficiency ...hope he can maintain that level for just one more year, and more importantly, hope we have a plan in place for his successor.

Going to be a sad day when #63 hangs them up ...you kinda take for granted sometimes just how long he's been here for and how big a part he's been in this team's success from the beginning

I don't see Jeff going anywhere as long as Peyton is our qb. They have a trust and surety with each other that comes from years of playing together. That would not be easily replaced.

I think Jeff will be ok. He is a veteran player. The ones I think will be hurt the most are the rookie players trying to learn a new system.

this is his last season.

I disagree and it seems like I saw the same discussion last off-season. I look for him to be playing at least three more years.

He is one of the key players on our team and although not highly recognized by most he is very important in the reliability and trust that Peyton puts in his playing ability.

Skill is important yes, but also practice and "knowing" how a fellow team member will respond to the plays being executed.

Just my humble opinion. ;)

I disagree and it seems like I saw the same discussion last off-season. I look for him to be playing at least three more years.

re-signing for ANOTHER 3 years? you know his contract is up after this season, right?

so, going through another re-signing decision with his family, etc.

just wanted to be sure that's what you thought. I'll bump this thread and eat my crow if he re-signs, deal?

I personally think there is very little chance he signs again even for a year. but hey, to each his own.

IMO, he will retire after this season and we will lose an outstanding player....the "Quarterback" of the Offensive Line". I believe the knowledge he will pass on to his successor will be invaluable, now who that successor is IS the real question? Possibilities are:

McClendon: They drafted him due to his smarts as well as his ability and he did practice there last year with some mixed reviews.

Pollak: He was high on BP's praise list when drafted and was drafted as a center. He showed some promise at guard but possibly he is a late bloomer that is out of position?

Richards: He didn't embarress himself when filling in for Saturday a couple seasons back but seemed to regress last year but like Pollak he could be out of position?

Just food for thought....

He is one of the key players on our team and although not highly recognized by most he is very important in the reliability and trust that Peyton puts in his playing ability.

I would love to see him stay with the team as a coach, but I can't see him playing another 3 years. I think this is probably his last and if we win the Super Bowl, he will definitely retire. While I would like for him to remain with the Colts, he seems to have a real passion for broadcasting.

• 8 months later...