Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dominique Dafney WR- added

holeymoley99

51 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Interesting -- the Colts.com front page lists him as a TE.  At 6'3 235 lbs, he seems a bit heavy to be a WR.

Played at Iowa before Indiana State and had experience as a punt returner, on STs and at FB as well.

Odd I'm an Iowa fan and I don't even remember the guy.  I'm guessing he didn't play much at Iowa.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Odd I'm an Iowa fan and I don't even remember the guy.  I'm guessing he didn't play much at Iowa.  

From the front page: "Dafney, 6-3, 235 pounds, played collegiately at Indiana State (2019), Iowa (2017-18) and Iowa Western Community College (2016). In 2019, he was a Second Team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference choice at fullback and garnered MVFC All-Newcomer recognition after registering 635 all-purpose yards (439 rushing, 196 receiving) and a team-high seven total touchdowns for the Sycamores. In two seasons with the Hawkeyes, Dafney appeared in 23 games and compiled one reception for 19 yards, one punt return for 26 yards, eight tackles (four solo) and one blocked kick. Prior to Iowa, he spent time at Iowa Western Community College."

Sounds like he had more time on STs than anywhere else, though with 8 tackles I don't know how much time he even saw there.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

From the front page: "Dafney, 6-3, 235 pounds, played collegiately at Indiana State (2019), Iowa (2017-18) and Iowa Western Community College (2016). In 2019, he was a Second Team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference choice at fullback and garnered MVFC All-Newcomer recognition after registering 635 all-purpose yards (439 rushing, 196 receiving) and a team-high seven total touchdowns for the Sycamores. In two seasons with the Hawkeyes, Dafney appeared in 23 games and compiled one reception for 19 yards, one punt return for 26 yards, eight tackles (four solo) and one blocked kick. Prior to Iowa, he spent time at Iowa Western Community College."

Sounds like he had more time on STs than anywhere else, though with 8 tackles I don't know how much time he even saw there.

I think he played FB some at Indiana State.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Interesting -- the Colts.com front page lists him as a TE.  At 6'3 235 lbs, he seems a bit heavy to be a WR.

Played at Iowa before Indiana State and had experience as a punt returner, on STs and at FB as well.

I want to see a 235 pound punt returner.......

56eb16a5150c0982f2ad9752b6185244.gif

Dafney is an athlete - 6'3" and 235 lbs and he ran a 4.61, did 18 reps, 35' vertical, 127' long jump, 4.19 short shuttle, and 6.91 3-Cone drill.

At this point, what TE out there is better than any of Doyle/Ali-Cox/Burton?

At this point in the process he is clay that maybe can be molded or maybe not. Throw him on the PS and see what you get? Sounds like a clone of Burton to me as far as measurables are concerned and positional flexibility.

6 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I think he played FB some at Indiana State.

He did.  Obviously Nix has been a strong STer over his career, but bringing  him in to me also suggests we'll use a FB in offensive schemes.  I'm thinking Dafney is a better athlete (and way younger) than Nix.  I have a hard time seeing him making this team, but maybe he's a solid PS guy who replaces Nix (assuming we are going FB) in a year or so.

6 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Hard to believe they can’t find a better prospect than this. Did nothing at Iowa and very little at division two ISU and people think he’s going to make it in the NFL.

He could just be a camp body.  He's got good size, strength, speed and overall athleticism.  He has been used all over the field.  My guess is they're bringing him in to see if they can turn his athleticism into a football player and I doubt he's going to make this year's squad, but could be a PS guy who develops into a STer and FB role (similar to what Nix was brought in for) in a year or two.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He may be that one UDFA that makes the team?

Tend to doubt it as he's coming in so late in camp.  I think he's a camp body who they're evaluating on based on his pure athleticism and size to see if he's worth stowing away on the PS and trying to develop into a TE/FB and ST stud in the future.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:34 PM, CurBeatElite said:

Those stats would explain why I don't remember him.  One decent reception, one modest punt return, some special teams tackles and a blocked kick. 

Archived