Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts showing interest in Eason and Hurts

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Who's JMV talking to?

I learned a new term from watching JT O'Sullivan -- "Rubik's cube." When the QB takes the snap from shotgun, and flips the ball in his hands to find the laces, and some QBs will flip it more than once. It's like flipping a Rubik's cube back and forth while you're trying to solve it.

Fromm does this a lot. That might be what they're talking about. I don't see any issues with Fromm's actual grip, but he would do well to secure his hands on the ball without doing the ball flip. It's one less motion, can help him keep his eyes, hands and feet in sync, and help him get the ball out a little bit faster.

This is probably what they are talking about.  See how only his pinky and ring finger are on the laces and his index finger is on the point of the ball?  Guys with bigger hands usually get three fingers on the laces.  More fingers on the laces means you can throw the ball harder because you are able to control it more during the throwing motion.

The way Fromm is holding the ball is the way I taught the kids to grip it when I was coaching because it allows for more control and more accuracy, and they tend to have hands too small for the size ball we were using, IMO.

JakeFrommGrip.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Fromm's ceiling is a Chad Pennington, so if that is something we are willing to work with, I guess I am OK, still won't be thrilled. DBs at the NFL level, if you can't stretch the field well, they will sit on the underneath stuff, and with their length, can make it harder for Fromm who reminds me of Colt McCoy and Chad Pennington. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over but he doesn't make that many plays either, wait a minute, we have JB that does the same. 

In fact, Fromm is compared to Colt McCoy here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-fromm?id=32194652-4f32-5139-dbcd-9c79c7f41e56

I am not talking myself into liking Fromm or Eason, no I won't, no matter how many Pro Days with no defenders you show me. If I am going Fromm early, I might as well get Gordon late that I believe has the same upside and use the early picks for other positions.

Jalen Hurts, however, I can talk myself into liking him because of the success that RPOs have been having at the NFL level lately. Jalen Hurts can be like an Alex Smith, IMO and is definitely worth a Day 2 pick.

Chad Pennington?  And you think that’s bad?

Do you not remember that one year, Pennington was the MVP of the entire league?   Most Valuable Player of the entire League.    

What hurt Pennington wasn’t  his natural skill set which was high.  It was repeated injuries including some on his throwing arm.

Chad Pennington was MUCH better than Chad McCoy, who has had a nice career as a quality backup.  

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you not remember that one year, Pennington was the MVP of the entire league?   Most Valuable Player of the entire League.    

What hurt Pennington wasn’t  his natural skill set which was high.  It was repeated injuries including some on his throwing arm.

Chad Pennington was MUCH better than Colt McCoy, who has had a nice career as a quality backup.  

No, it is not bad. I was asking folks to temper their "ceiling" expectations with a QB for the future, if the pickings are slim, which they will be, if we pick a QB in Round 2 or later. That is just how it is. I just don't think Fromm's ceiling is like that of a Brees, like some analysts have talked about on radio.

Of the two, yeah, Pennington better than McCoy that he is being compared to.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No, it is not bad. I was asking folks to temper their "ceiling" expectations with a QB for the future, if the pickings are slim, which they will be, if we pick a QB in Round 2 or later. That is just how it is. I just don't think Fromm's ceiling is like that of a Brees, like some analysts have talked about on radio.

Thank you.   Appreciate the response.  

Not much of a Fromm guy.   See him as a quality backup.   Nothing wrong with that.   But see a high floor but low ceiling kind of guy.   A team could do worse...   

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

Smoke screen? Scouting a potential opponent?  Maybe a pick 44 or 75?

Funny, it seems like the only QB the Colts have not shown public interest in is Jake Fromm.

Edit:  And Burrow.

Yeah I don't buy it.  I will stick to my guns on Fromm being their pick of they do draft a qb

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah I don't buy it.  I will stick to my guns on Fromm being their pick of they do draft a qb

I'm pretty sure that Fromm is Reich's kind of QB, high on his list.

I think Ballard has shown that he likes traitsy players, so I don't know how much he would like Fromm.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are in a position to get either of these guys. I would go Hurts over Eason. Eason is to slow.. 

Eason has a lot of flaws....   really, a lot.

But you're the first person I've seen point to Eason being too slow as reason for not picking him.

There's a long list of other reasons why a team might not pick them that would come before his slowness....      honestly....

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Fromm has one thing goinf for him. He is a winner. Here is a pro day take he made and sent to teams.

I love it that he is making throws while off his back foot. Also love it that he goes through his throws with a lot of speed. He is my guy and always has been. Very quick session .

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm pretty sure that Fromm is Reich's kind of QB, high on his list.

I think Ballard has shown that he likes traitsy players, so I don't know how much he would like Fromm.

I think Ballard would defer to Reich when it comes to picking the qb. Well  I sure to the hell hope he would!!!

After reading though all the different opinions on all the different qb prospects....the only thing that anyone seems to agree on is that nobody the Colts draft will be a perfect fit. 

There will be plenty of discussion about the actual pick and who they should have picked over the next several months (if not years) and this should be a very interesting draft to watch.  

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chad Pennington was MUCH better than Chad McCoy, who has had a nice career as a quality backup.  

Which league? 

He came in second to Peyton Manning in 2008 (he received four votes; Manning got 32). He never actually won MVP. He was the MAC MVP in 1999.

He also won Comeback Player of the Year, twice.

I agree with your point, though. Pennington was a good QB, and his career was undermined by multiple injuries. He never had a particularly strong arm, and then he had serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and several operations. Colt McCoy was nowhere near Chad Pennington as a QB, ever.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Which league? 

He came in second to Peyton Manning in 2008 (he received four votes; Manning got 32). He never actually won MVP. He was the MAC MVP in 1999.

He also won Comeback Player of the Year, twice.

I agree with your point, though. Pennington was a good QB, and his career was undermined by multiple injuries. He never had a particularly strong arm, and then he had serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, and several operations. Colt McCoy was nowhere near Chad Pennington as a QB, ever.

Sorry...    I think I mixed up MVP with Comeback Player of the Year.   Thanks for catching that.   My bad. 

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

I would agree, I don't necessarily think his ceiling is the QB to throw for the most yards in NFL history but I do think he has a higher ceiling than Chad Pennington.  Pennington was a good QB before the injuries and I think Fromm has the tools to be better than good.  A lot just depends on getting with the right system and how hard he is willing to work to improve upon his weaknesses.

Archived