Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts showing interest in Eason and Hurts

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Smoke screen? Scouting a potential opponent?  Maybe a pick 44 or 75?

Funny, it seems like the only QB the Colts have not shown public interest in is Jake Fromm.

Edit:  And Burrow.

Boy, if we trade up for Fromm this place will go nuts.

43 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And with that, the Colts have now been connected to just about every QB not named Burrow

No Herbert or Burrow. No Fromm either. Fromm could be the real target. When we don’t hear anything that sometimes indicates who the real target is. No question he could run this offense. If he can clean up his mechanics and learn to throw with his lower body maybe he could improve his arm strength.

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

We could take him at 44.  Maybe trade up into the late second after pick 44.  People would still go nuts over that, LOL.

To be accurate, Fromm was in the stands at the Senior Bowl (he's a junior, did not play) and supposedly either Reich or someone from the Colts staff was seen talking to him.  Maybe they've already decided they like him....or not.

One thing, and people will read this the wrong way about it, but both Fromm and Reich are pretty admittedly Christian, IIRC.  Not that there should be a good-ol-boy favoritism, but there is a certain value to the HC and QB being on the same page about stuff.  I would think it helps to form a stronger working relationship than to have the HC and QB worlds apart on things.  Some would say that it doesn't matter, and maybe so when it comes to HC and, say, RB, but HC and QB is kind of special relationship so if the Colts put a value on that at all (quietly) I could understand it.

No contact with Fromm may simply mean that Reich has confidence that he knows where Fromm's head is and that the combine measurables and game tape gives him everything else.  They've already made their decision to either take him or not already, and already know about where they want to take him....if at all.  The other QBs they are still trying to evaluate from a personality standpoint. 

25 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Having thought about it from the angle of the Forum.

What if Ballard trades Hooker for a third then uses that pick to trade up for Fromm in the second?

LOL.

Fromm's ceiling is a Chad Pennington, so if that is something we are willing to work with, I guess I am OK, still won't be thrilled. DBs at the NFL level, if you can't stretch the field well, they will sit on the underneath stuff, and with their length, can make it harder for Fromm who reminds me of Colt McCoy and Chad Pennington. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over but he doesn't make that many plays either, wait a minute, we have JB that does the same. 

In fact, Fromm is compared to Colt McCoy here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-fromm?id=32194652-4f32-5139-dbcd-9c79c7f41e56

I am not talking myself into liking Fromm or Eason, no I won't, no matter how many Pro Days with no defenders you show me. If I am going Fromm early, I might as well get Gordon late that I believe has the same upside and use the early picks for other positions.

Jalen Hurts, however, I can talk myself into liking him because of the success that RPOs have been having at the NFL level lately. Jalen Hurts can be like an Alex Smith, IMO and is definitely worth a Day 2 pick.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Fromm's ceiling is a Chad Pennington, so if that is something we are willing to work with, I guess I am OK, still won't be thrilled.

Its higher than that, goodness.  Its not Drew Brees high.  Its more like a younger Matt Hasselbeck ceiling, IMO, with having a bit more aggressiveness.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We could take him at 44.  Maybe trade up into the late second after pick 44.  People would still go nuts over that, LOL.

To be accurate, Fromm was in the stands at the Senior Bowl (he's a junior, did not play) and supposedly either Reich or someone from the Colts staff was seen talking to him.  Maybe they've already decided they like him....or not.

One thing, and people will read this the wrong way about it, but both Fromm and Reich are pretty admittedly Christian, IIRC.  Not that there should be a good-ol-boy favoritism, but there is a certain value to the HC and QB being on the same page about stuff.  I would think it helps to form a stronger working relationship than to have the HC and QB worlds apart on things.  Some would say that it doesn't matter, and maybe so when it comes to HC and, say, RB, but HC and QB is kind of special relationship so if the Colts put a value on that at all (quietly) I could understand it.

No contact with Fromm may simply mean that Reich has confidence that he knows where Fromm's head is and that the combine measurables and game tape gives him everything else.  They've already made their decision to either take him or not already, and already know about where they want to take him....if at all.  The other QBs they are still trying to evaluate from a personality standpoint. 

I can not roll my eyes any harder at the thought of this... but it's 100% plausible.  This is something you see in every field.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Taking Fromm in the third at worst gives us a future backup. It wouldn’t stop us from upgrading in 2021.  He has already been in a pro offense and makes quick decisions . I think I would be ok with it. 

Getting a backup QB in Round 3 is a wasted pick unless you envision him as a starter. You might as well leverage Chad Kelly for a backup, if that is the idea. There will be QBs available, Rounds 4 and later for the backup position, starting with Gordon, IMO, if the true intention is to have "just" a backup.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

I can not roll my eyes any harder at the thought of this... but it's 100% plausible.  This is something you see in every field.

Take the concept of Christian out of it, because that word causes issues with some.  

The HC and his QB need a good working relationship.  I don't think that Dungy would have worked as well with Jim McMahon than with PM.

Roll your eyes all you want, but its important.  And since Reich is the boss for now, he dictates what an acceptable attitude is.  I'm not saying that one attitude is better than the other, but Dungy and Ditka had two different approaches and that it does matter as to personality.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Getting a backup QB in Round 3 is a wasted pick unless you envision him as a starter. You might as well leverage Chad Kelly for a backup, if that is the idea. There will be QBs available, Rounds 4 and later for the backup position, starting with Gordon, IMO, if the true intention is to have "just" a backup.

Agreed. Round 3 is the worst round to take a QB. The odds of them starting are low, and it's too high of a pick for a backup. If Eason or Hurts fell to the 3rd, I'd feel different though.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Agreed.  Teams can find backups in FA every year.  That's why I don't believe in drafting a QB later than round 2.  He either has the talent or not, and if he does, he doesn't last until round 3.

Maybe take a flier on James Morgan or Jake Luton in round 5, but that conversion into a starting caliber QB would be a stroke of luck, not genius.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Smoke screen? Scouting a potential opponent?  Maybe a pick 44 or 75?

Funny, it seems like the only QB the Colts have not shown public interest in is Jake Fromm.

Edit:  And Burrow.

And Anthony Gordon......

My favorite :(

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. Round 3 is the worst round to take a QB. The odds of them starting are low, and it's too high of a pick for a backup. If Eason or Hurts fell to the 3rd, I'd feel different though.

Some folks will say but, but...Belichick got JB in the 3rd. Belichick got Jimmy G, who is a better starter in Round 2, I will tell them. :) 

Hurts impressed me with his interview with Steve Mariucci, and with his OL overwhelmed, he made some impressive throws during game time in the Senior Bowl game. Hurts has toughness, and you need that at the NFL level. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Some folks will say but, but...Belichick got JB in the 3rd. Belichick got Jimmy G, who is a better starter in Round 2, I will tell them. :) 

Hurts impressed me with his interview with Steve Mariucci, and with his OL overwhelmed, he made some impressive throws during game time in the Senior Bowl game. Hurts has toughness, and you need that at the NFL level. 

Yeah, JB has been in the league 4 years and he's still a below average starter. The learning curve is steep. The guys who fall to the third and are successful like Russell Wilson don't fall because of talent, it's something like height.

Eason is said to have a work ethic question

Watch Hurts against top teams....  

Watch Fromm have all day ... ALL DAY to throw.... and complete just 60%

I don’t like any of these 3 to be the Colts starter

An Alex Smith comparison, does not make me want a kid to be a playoff team QB for the Colts

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

And with that, the Colts have now been connected to just about every QB not named Burrow

well, you're almost right. There was a report weeks ago that the Colts had inquired about trading for number 1.  Course that was a  complete farce but still

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

An Alex Smith comparison, does not make me want a kid to be a playoff team QB for the Colts

True. But that Alex Smith did get the Chiefs team to the playoffs consistently but without the ceiling of Mahomes (to be fair, not many do) and hamstrung by a D run by Bob Sutton, which allowed that comeback to Andrew Luck and the D didn't make many plays, the Chiefs' roster make up did not allow for playoff success. Mahomes may get a lot of credit but hiring Spagnuolos after watching the Patriots go up and down in the 2018 season AFCCG in Arrowhead vs Bob Sutton's D, changed a LOT of things. I doubt Ballard sticks with Eberflus if his "bend but don't break" D keeps bending and breaking when we do get to the playoffs. So the QB is just one side of the story. I do think Hurts stretches the field better than Alex Smith but I was comparing the RPO aspect and ability of the legs with accuracy underneath to Alex Smith.

Let us not forget that the same Alex Smith went toe-to-toe with the Saints as a 49er in a playoff game and had about 5 different OCs in his first 5 years, talk about instability. In both cases (Kaepernick with Jim Harbaugh, and Mahomes with Andy Reid), he was replaced by a guy that had a bigger arm and slightly better legs. Only Mahomes had the accuracy to go with his legs that Kaepernick did not, which is why he won the SB.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think BB is smart when he drafts QB so often. If more people did this they would have more success when their starter goes down.  Then when that guy moved on you draft another. 

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. But that Alex Smith did get the Chiefs team to the playoffs consistently but without the ceiling of Mahomes (to be fair, not many do) and hamstrung by a D run by Bob Sutton, which allowed that comeback to Andrew Luck and the D didn't make many plays, the Chiefs' roster make up did not allow for playoff success. Mahomes may get a lot of credit but hiring Spagnuolos after watching the Patriots go up and down in the 2018 season AFCCG in Arrowhead vs Bob Sutton's D, changed a LOT of things. I doubt Ballard sticks with Eberflus if his "bend but don't break" D keeps bending and breaking when we do get to the playoffs. So the QB is just one side of the story. I do think Hurts stretches the field better than Alex Smith but I was comparing the RPO aspect and ability of the legs with accuracy underneath to Alex Smith.

Let us not forget that the same Alex Smith went toe-to-toe with the Saints as a 49er in a playoff game and had about 5 different OCs in his first 5 years, talk about instability. In both cases (Kaepernick with Jim Harbaugh, and Mahomes with Andy Reid), he was replaced by a guy that had a bigger arm and slightly better legs. Only Mahomes had the accuracy to go with his legs that Kaepernick did not, which is why he won the SB.

IMHO

First off.....  I really don’t like running QBs

The NFL players are WAY too fast to run around and stay healthy for very long

Mahomes can get a leg injury and still be effective because he is also a great passer. The question on Hurts to me is , WHEN (not if) he gets nicked, can he also be an accurate pocket passer as well?

Its very fun and exciting to see the QBs running all over the place... but it’s not healthy for a team in the long run..... Those QBs tend to miss games.... the more you run, the more the opportunity raises for injury

If a QB can’t ALSO be a pure passer ( think pocket) I wouldn’t want them

As a pure passer, I don’t see Hurts as a top QB.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No Herbert or Burrow. No Fromm either. Fromm could be the real target. When we don’t hear anything that sometimes indicates who the real target is. No question he could run this offense. If he can clean up his mechanics and learn to throw with his lower body maybe he could improve his arm strength.

I do remember that Fromm showed up at the Senior bowl even tho he wasn't taking part and he was seen talking with the Colts guys

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO

First off.....  I really don’t like running QBs

The NFL players are WAY too fast to run around and stay healthy for very long

Mahomes can get a leg injury and still be effective because he is also a great passer. The question on Hurts to me is , WHEN (not if) he gets nicked, can he also be an accurate pocket passer as well.

Its very fun and exciting to see the QBs running all over the place... but it’s not healthy for a team in the long run..... Those QBs tend to miss games

If a QB can’t ALSO be a pure passer ( think pocket) I wouldn’t want them

That is where their evaluation comes in. Can Jalen Hurts be just as good inside the pocket as he can outside the pocket? He does run 40% of the plays, no doubt about it. That is too high a ratio to sustain at the NFL level.

Lamar Jackson ran about 45% in Year 1, and that went down to about 30% in Year 2. Lamar had a very good run blocking OL, we do as well, IMO.

But Hurts does not have the same wheels to run even 30% against NFL speed, IMO. He did complete 70% of his passes, and that will be the focal point for coaches and GMs evaluating him. If Hurts had an 80-20 pass-run ratio vs 60-40 like in college, can he succeed? You still want them utilizing their strengths to open up the playbook but at the same time, you want them to be smart about. John Harbaugh asked Lamar to be smart about it, and the 45% in Year 1 went down to 30% in Year 2. We will see, I guess.

Beyond Burrow, you can have pause on ANY of the other QBs in this draft. It's then up to what you think is a successful QB, and what you're willing to gamble on (health, maturity, mechanics, etc).

But that's just what we think, individually. The FO thinks differently, and I'm interested as heck to see what transpires tomorrow.

Edit:... Well, over the next few days.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Fromm's ceiling is a Chad Pennington, so if that is something we are willing to work with, I guess I am OK, still won't be thrilled.

That isn't a terrible standard to reach - from his wiki he has a career average passer rating of over 90, led the league in passing percentage twice and passer rating once.  Most of his limitations as a QB were caused by injury, so unless you view Fromm as being particularly fragile he may be better than you believe.

7 minutes ago, IkeAramba said:

That isn't a terrible standard to reach - from his wiki he has a career average passer rating of over 90, led the league in passing percentage twice and passer rating once.  Most of his limitations as a QB were caused by injury, so unless you view Fromm as being particularly fragile he may be better than you believe.

Chad Pennington had a nickname...... “Noodle arm”

Players that played with him and left, also called him that

Very Accurate passer, but people figured his game out

He wasn’t going deep....

Archived