Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson and Leonard 2nd contracts

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K. I will ask u a question. What is the most annually u would pay for Nelson and Leonard??

Well, since the cap is reportedly going up from $200 to $240 mil, I'd happily hand out contracts to both Nelson and Leonard for $20 mil/year since there will be exactly $40 mil/year of extra cap-room.  Funny how that works out.  :hat:

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K. I will ask u a question. What is the most annually u would pay for Nelson and Leonard??

How it works in 5he NFL is like this. Every year the cap goes up, and when a player is up for negotiation, many times their asking price isn't based on their performance (ask Rivers or Dak Prescott) but rather the market in respect to salary cap.

That being said, whatever the market will be at that time, both players will asking for top dollar at their position, just as Laremy Tunsil is doing with the Houston Texans (will be highest paid at position).

I believe the Colts will want to resign these two guys (I hate this phrase but, Hopefully a "team friendly deal").

On 4/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, Valpo2004 said:

His market value doesn't command that.  The 20 Million+ guys are all edge rushers who are the most important players on defense.  

Leonard is a 4-3 Outside LB  If you narrow the contracts down to 4-3 OLB's the market tops out at 13.5.

He can certainly set the market here but let's be honest he's not in a high value position on defense.  When all is said and done there is a good chance that Turay gets paid more than Leonard even though Turay isn't a pro-bowler.  

I don't think positional value/expectation will apply to Leonard. Leonard is the linchpin of the defense...and Ballard just paid Buckner $21M/year...so I think that will be a starting point.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well, since the cap is reportedly going up from $200 to $240 mil, I'd happily hand out contracts to both Nelson and Leonard for $20 mil/year since there will be exactly $40 mil/year of extra cap-room.  Funny how that works out.  :hat:

As the cap goes up so do other players expectations in terms of increased salaries

20 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think positional value/expectation will apply to Leonard. Leonard is the linchpin of the defense...and Ballard just paid Buckner $21M/year...so I think that will be a starting point.

Positional value always applies.  The problem is that positional value on defense is a little bit more up in the air because 2 players of the same positions might do wildly different jobs.  

So in terms of job value, someone who puts pressure on the QB outside of a blitz situation is always the highest value.  That high value increases somewhat if that person can also hold his ground to stop running plays.  That is Bucker and why he got so much money.

Leonard does a lot of everything else but I just can't see him getting a $20M contract.  He only applies pressure when sent on a blitz.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Positional value always applies.  The problem is that positional value on defense is a little bit more up in the air because 2 players of the same positions might do wildly different jobs.  

So in terms of job value, someone who puts pressure on the QB outside of a blitz situation is always the highest value.  That high value increases somewhat if that person can also hold his ground to stop running plays.  That is Bucker and why he got so much money.

Leonard does a lot of everything else but I just can't see him getting a $20M contract.  He only applies pressure when sent on a blitz.  

I agree...I just think Leonard (and his agent) won't see it this way. And that's not a knock on him.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So $20 mil/year won't be that unreasonable then, will it?  :thmup:

Yup it is.  Players that play WLB in this scheme can b found past the 1st round.  U may not get a player of his  stature, but u still mayb able to get a starter. Now if u going to replace a line backer like Patrick Willis, you better be picking in the top 5.  I hope u c my point?  Lbs like Leonard that play in this D r basically big bodies safeties.  Bobby was drafted in the 3rd round out of Stanford. I believe he will b a better over all LB than Leonard when it is all said and done.

Archived