Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

And the glaring hole at the 1? Atleast we have someone that can rush the passer. What we need is more mass to hold the line so our LBers don't get blocked.

 

You're the only person who seems to think that. There is no hole as Grover is undoubtedly the starter there and he's only getting better. Ballard isn't going to go out and pay for a position (1T) that is a low priority within this defense. This isn't the 90's or 2000's anymore.. the whole "mass" theory is obsolete. Besides, the Colts issues were still not being able to get to the QB when needed. They were giving up close to a league worst 70% completion percentage, getting and paying for another 1T isn't fixing that.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Misleading. Teams didn't run on us because our secondary had a lot of injuries, but when teams did run, we got pushed back and our LBers got blocked. We're too small in the middle

Don’t get me wrong, I would be for getting a 1 Tech as well, but the bigger hole is at the 3-tech. If we could somehow get DJ Reader and Chris Jones in FA, or Reader from FA and Javon Kinlaw from the draft, I would absolutely love it. I just think the 3-tech is more important and more needed

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I would be for getting a 1 Tech as well, but the bigger hole is at the 3-tech. If we could somehow get DJ Reader and Chris Jones in FA, or Reader from FA and Javon Kinlaw from the draft, I would absolutely love it. I just think the 3-tech is more important and more needed

 

Not saying we don't need an upgrade, I just think Autry is a good enough 3 tech that we can focus on the 1. Overall imo we need to get bigger. Stewart is the only one over 300 pounds. We can't play that small or else we'll get pushed around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

You're the only person who seems to think that. There is no hole as Grover is undoubtedly the starter there and he's only getting better. Ballard isn't going to go out and pay for a position (1T) that is a low priority within this defense. This isn't the 90's or 2000's anymore.. the whole "mass" theory is obsolete. Besides, the Colts issues were still not being able to get to the QB when needed. They were giving up close to a league worst 70% completion percentage, getting and paying for another 1T isn't fixing that.

 

You do understand to control the line is still the name of the game right? You can't control the line 270 pound DTs. You need 300 plus to get you to 3rd down then you can rush the passer. Grover is fine, but we need more then just one DT over 300 pounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Not saying we don't need an upgrade, I just think Autry is a good enough 3 tech that we can focus on the 1. Overall imo we need to get bigger. Stewart is the only one over 300 pounds. We can't play that small or else we'll get pushed around.

 

Have you looked at the 49ers DL? None of their starters, nor their back ups, are over 300lbs.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

Have you looked at the 49ers DL? None of their starters, nor their back ups, are over 300lbs.. 

 

Do we have 5 first round picks on our DLine?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

You do understand to control the line is still the name of the game right? You can't control the line 270 pound DTs. You need 300 plus to get you to 3rd down then you can rush the passer. Grover is fine, but we need more then just one DT over 300 pounds.

 

If you've have read my responses, I've said NUMEROUS times Autry only needs to be on the field on passing downs. You do understand not all 300lbers are the same? Players like Brown and Kinlaw can play both the run and pass, so they never have to leave the field. That's where you maneuver Stewart and Autry around those guys depending on the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Do we have 5 first round picks on our DLine?

This is true; the investment by the Niners in their D line has been significant. Though I doubt Armstead or Thomas would be taken in the first round if they had a do over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

If you've have read my responses, I've said NUMEROUS times Autry only needs to be on the field on passing downs. You do understand not all 300lbers are the same? Players like Brown and Kinlaw can play both the run and pass, so they never have to leave the field. That's where you maneuver Stewart and Autry around those guys depending on the situation.

 

And if you read any of my responses, you would know I said Stewart can move to the 3 on run downs next to someone like Brockers to control the line then move back to the one on passing situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

Haha you're own argument used against you and you make an irrelevant observation.. well done

 

You're saying talent doesn't trump mass? You're saying I can just plug any 270 pound DT and we're not gonna get run on?

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

This is true; the investment by the Niners in their D line has been significant. Though I doubt Armstead or Thomas would be taken in the first round if they had a do over. 

 

Perhaps, but they have been an important part of their rotation to keep their line fresh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

And if you read any of my responses, you would know I said Stewart can move to the 3 on run downs next to someone like Brockers to control the line then move back to the one on passing situations.

 

Has the coaching staff done that though? You know the answer, and there is a reason they haven't. So the fantasizing on what the coaches should do with Grover isn't going to get you far. Point blank, Ballard isn't spending money, nor high draft picks, on a position within the scheme that is low priority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You're saying talent doesn't trump mass? You're saying I can just plug any 270 pound DT and we're not gonna get run on?

 

No, and as the other poster stated, Thomas nor Armstead haven't lived up to their draft position. Also, SF isn't starting 270lb DT's either.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

Has the coaching staff done that though? You know the answer, and there is a reason they haven't. So the fantasizing on what the coaches should do with Grover isn't going to get you far. Point blank, Ballard isn't spending money, nor high draft picks, on a position within the scheme that is low priority.

 

They haven't done it because he's the only 1 tech we got and if Stewart gets hurt then what? We have no one to play the one

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

No, and as the other poster stated, Thomas nor Armstead haven't lived up to their draft position. Also, SF isn't starting 270lb DT's either.. 

 

280 pounds excuse me. Like that made a difference. Rather they lived up to the hype or not, their still first round picks that have been important to their rotation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

Sure it can, if you get Autry's 270lb rear end off the field on the early downs. A guy like Kinlaw or Brown immediately fixes that. 3T and rush end are 1A and 1B in terms of importance to the Colts defensive scheme.

There's someone that understands this D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

 

You're the only person who seems to think that. There is no hole as Grover is undoubtedly the starter there and he's only getting better. Ballard isn't going to go out and pay for a position (1T) that is a low priority within this defense. This isn't the 90's or 2000's anymore.. the whole "mass" theory is obsolete. Besides, the Colts issues were still not being able to get to the QB when needed. They were giving up close to a league worst 70% completion percentage, getting and paying for another 1T isn't fixing that.

Once again   Great post

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

There's someone that understands this D.

 

You do realize there is no point of a rush if we can't get teams to third down. First step is controlling the line so you can rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 11:06 AM, chad72 said:

If Kinlaw and/or Brown are available at No.13 and are close to BPA for your team, you take them, a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, period. You don't overthink it. But if both are gone by No.13, Blacklock, Gallimore are all good candidates, if available at pick 34. 

This.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

You do realize there is no point of a rush if we can't get teams to third down. First step is controlling the line so you can rush.

 

Ask Warren Sapp or Booger McFarland or Aaron Donald if the 3 tech can help stop the run. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

 

Ask Warren Sapp or Booger McFarland or Aaron Donald if the 3 tech can help stop the run. 

 

 

 

Rams run defense was in almost in the bottom 10 this year so was the Bucs last year, but as soon as they got a one tech aka vita Vea, they changed to one of the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Rams run defense was in almost in the bottom 10 this year so was the Bucs last year, but as soon as they got a one tech aka vita Vea, they changed to one of the best.

1 tech for depth sure. 1tech can be found in later rounds  Grover is getting better all the time .  But the key to this D is 3 tech and rush DE.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

1 tech for depth sure. 1tech can be found in later rounds  Grover is getting better all the time .  But the key to this D is 3 tech and rush DE.  

 

 

 

The key to a cover 2 is being able to get home yes, but the flaws in this defense is the run defense. Go check out some the early 00s colts and you will see the issues of what happens when you only focus on the rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...