Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

Most everyone on this Forum can agree that one of the teams biggest needs is finding a disruptive 3-Tech DT. A lot of the talk has been surrounding Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw. However, I believe that there is a third DT prospect in that tier, and that he can be had in the second round.

Ross Blacklock is an extremely powerful interior defender with a good repertoire of pass rush moves. He has a very strong punch at the point of attack, and has some great hands and leverage techniques. The only thing holding him back is his lack of top-end athleticism, which is shown through his slowness when chasing down QBs outside of the pocket. However, his overall strength and technique is reminiscent somewhat of Gerald McCoy.

He did miss one season (2018) with an Achilles injury, but other than that he has looked dominant. He has a good motor and knows the game like the back of his hand.

What does everyone think of skipping Kinlaw and Brown in the first to grab help elsewhere and taking Blacklock at pick 34???

• Like 1

If Kinlaw and/or Brown are available at No.13 and are close to BPA for your team, you take them, a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, period. You don't overthink it. But if both are gone by No.13, Blacklock, Gallimore are all good candidates, if available at pick 34. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Kinlaw and/or Brown are available at No.13 and are close to BPA for your team, you take them, a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush, period. You don't overthink it. But if both are gone by No.13, Blacklock, Gallimore are all good candidates, if available at pick 34. 

Gallimore is a 1-tech though. You have to draft him with Blacklock. They’d be a crazy haul though. QB in the first and then a Blacklock and Gallimore in the 2nd.

I think if Kinlaw/Brown are not BPA or are not there at 13, Blacklock wouldn't be a bad option. I'm a big fan of Gallimore, so I'd prefer him in the 2nd (if he makes it that far) over Blacklock.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Gallimore is a 1-tech though. You have to draft him with Blacklock. They’d be a crazy haul though. QB in the first and then a Blacklock and Gallimore in the 2nd.

I see him as a 1T that has the skill-set to generate pass rush from the 1T and could also play 3T to give us a stout IDL, while still being able to get interior pressure.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Kinlaw in the first and Gallimore at 34.

SF 49ers?

Gordon at 44 or 75?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

I think there is an article / video where Ballard has said that the value of DT is in the third and fourth rounds... I believe he has also mentioned that the more DE/Edge the better... 

I totally agree. I can name 8 or so DTs that I would be happy to have on this team! Lots of good depth this draft!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

I think there is an article / video where Ballard has said that the value of DT is in the third and fourth rounds... I believe he has also mentioned that the more DE/Edge the better... 

I'd like to see that. Thanks

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My only concern with Blacklock is the same concern that came with Banogu, and that's TCU's scheme. I do think Blacklock is a more polished prospect than Banogu though, and likely requires less time to production.

Unlike Banogu, Blacklock had an actual position and actually knows technique. Daniel Jeremiah has him 18th on his top 50 board so that should tell you something.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unlike Banogu, Blacklock had an actual position and actually knows technique. Daniel Jeremiah has him 18th on his top 50 board so that should tell you something.

I agree, that's why I commented that he was more polished than Banogu. I don't see him as 18th though. I see him going in the 2nd. Wouldn't shock me though if someone reached on him.

Not a huge fan of DJ to be honest. He's better reporting on LAC than mocks.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

SF 49ers?

Gordon at 44 or 75?

A strong rotation in the middle would be a beautiful thing

However, OT decisions LOOM LARGE, even if AC comes back.....

Picks for OL in round 6 or later, Just dont cut the mustard.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

It was in one of these videos on the Colts Facebook channel... This one touches on DT around 5:45-6:15 minute mark but not the one I remember...

He was at the combine last year talking about the 2019 draft saying the middle of the draft was good for D-linemen too. He wasn’t generalizing anything as  across drafts that was the case.

He did say if you have a difference maker at any position, no matter what it is, you take him. Of course, IMO, there are exceptions to it like a QB when you already have invested in a franchise one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

A strong rotation in the middle would be a beautiful thing

However, OT decisions LOOM LARGE, even if AC comes back.....

Picks for OL in round 6 or later, Just dont cut the mustard.......

I also feel that, Ballard, given his penchant for more picks, could trade the No.34 for 2nd and 3rd giving us two picks in both the 2nd and 3rd round.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

I still think a 1 tech is a better option to help our run defense. Autry is still really good at rushing

This is where I'm at as well. He was an animal with a good 1T next to him in Al Woods. Getting a really good 1T would shore up the run defense and bolster our existing 3T's ability to generate a consistent pass rush.

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I did a mock draft today trying to make every pick within the first 3 BPA and came out with this

13 Justin Herbert, QB

34 Neville Gallimore, IDL

44 Ross Blacklock, IDL

75 Cole Kmet, TE

112 Gabriel Davis, WR

142 Tyler Johnson, WR

173 Yasir Durant, IOL

190 Levonta Taylor, CB

204 Binjimen Victor, WR

alot of needed help right now, what do you think

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I did a mock draft today trying to make every pick within the first 3 BPA and came out with this

13 Justin Herbert, QB

44 Ross Blacklock, IDL

75 Cole Kmet, TE

112 Gabriel Davis, WR

142 Tyler Johnson, WR

173 Yasir Durant, IOL

190 Levonta Taylor, CB

204 Binjimen Victor, WR

Yeah that’d honestly be a steal of a draft. Only thing I’d say is take and Edge rusher. We’re likely losing Sheard so our depth atm would be Turray (injury concerns), Houston, Banogu (Raw), and Muhammad. Aside from that I’d love that draft.

This off season, I feel we need 1 or 2 DL additions that will open up our options during the draft. I don't think we will go after Amari Cooper or Robby Anderson, the only 2 young WRs on the right side of 30 still in their prime, IMO. This draft lines up well with the WR need as well.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:08 PM, FalseStart said:

It was either on his weekly video last year and/or on the Stamped Blue site... 100% positive he said 3rd/4th round is where he values DTs... I’ll search for it.

https://www.stampedeblue.com

I do recall CB saying that about value of the DT, however, he has said this offseason that we absolutely have to get better at the DT spot to make this defense work better. I think he sees that he may have placed that spot a little undervalued for this defense and will take a swing at getting it better in order to really open up the defense. It may have also meant, he placed last years draft tackles at valued starting in the 3rd round based on the talent that was there. Idk. I do think he will take a look at the FA market for a DT (Jones??)  and work inside the draft from there. He is gonna buy a player somewhere this year, bank on it. 

20 hours ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

13 Justin Herbert, QB

44 Ross Blacklock, IDL

75 Cole Kmet, TE

112 Gabriel Davis, WR

142 Tyler Johnson, WR

173 Yasir Durant, IOL

190 Levonta Taylor, CB

204 Binjimen Victor, WR

I would love the first picks but do you really see Herbert lasting to 13?

10 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I do recall CB saying that about value of the DT, however, he has said this offseason that we absolutely have to get better at the DT spot to make this defense work better. I think he sees that he may have placed that spot a little undervalued for this defense and will take a swing at getting it better in order to really open up the defense. It may have also meant, he placed last years draft tackles at valued starting in the 3rd round based on the talent that was there. Idk. I do think he will take a look at the FA market for a DT (Jones??)  and work inside the draft from there. He is gonna buy a player somewhere this year, bank on it. 

Completely agree. I think too many folks are looking at the QB side of things not to recognize the value of a solid DT or 3 that would take the burden/double teams etc off what I feel is the best LB group in the NFL (Leonard, Walker, Okereke). From a BPA standpoint... I do not see any QB aside from Burrow...that is going to list higher on our board than best DT, DE, OT (Castonzo decision) and WR... at 13 or 34... IMO. Cheers. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 7:09 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I would love the first picks but do you really see Herbert lasting to 13?

Even since the senior bowl i have done probably 20 mocks on sites and about 80 percent of the time he is there, i dont think he will be there but for this one he was and i couldn't pass

Not judging but what position has great talent in the first round that we need? I feel like reaching for a QB is a bad idea knowing Burrow Tua and Herbert will be gone by our pick. I feel like linemen are the closest thing to not being a bust with earlh picks with when it comes to drafting. Brown is a beast and Kinclaw is skilled on the field and even better off, I wouldnt pass him if he is there at 13. I rather trade back for more picks if they are both gone. I say stack the trenches anf grab Love or Gordon. Then draft best players available after that. I believe we do need to consider a bigger bodied WR earlier than later. I would also like to see us grab a proven CB in free agency. WITH Rock developing Moore coming back healthy, throwing in a proven veteran to compete with Desir for number 1 would be great. Maybe sign Clowney or another DE to line up oppisite of Houston and we could be dangerous on D. Let Kelly and Gordon/Love compete for the atarting QB posistion. And let JB ride the bench or trade his * for more picks lol.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, Jeremy Waldon said:

13 Justin Herbert, QB

44 Ross Blacklock, IDL

75 Cole Kmet, TE

112 Gabriel Davis, WR

142 Tyler Johnson, WR

173 Yasir Durant, IOL

190 Levonta Taylor, CB

204 Binjimen Victor, WR

Herbert isn't lasting until 13. That's just silly. Kmet is a 2nd round talent. I'd replace Herbert with Love if I'm just throwing stuff up at the wall to see what sticks. I'd do this:

13: Love

34: Gallimore

44: Kmet

75: Johnson

Day 1 and 2 would be pretty darn good from my perspective if this happened, and its not unrealistic. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, DougDew said:

SF 49ers?

Gordon at 44 or 75?

was a great post until you said Gordon with the 3rd .   I liked then took it away otherwise Dline and Dline with 1st two picks.  Im in

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A 3 tech will not improve our run defense

Sure it can, if you get Autry's 270lb rear end off the field on the early downs. A guy like Kinlaw or Brown immediately fixes that. 3T and rush end are 1A and 1B in terms of importance to the Colts defensive scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Sure it can, if you get Autry's 270lb rear end off the field on the early downs. A guy like Kinlaw or Brown immediately fixes that. 3T and rush end are 1A and 1B in terms of importance to the Colts defensive scheme.

And the glaring hole at the 1? Atleast we have someone that can rush the passer. What we need is more mass to hold the line so our LBers don't get blocked.

53 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And the glaring hole at the 1? Atleast we have someone that can rush the passer. What we need is more mass to hold the line so our LBers don't get blocked.

Grover has actually been pretty good. Now a guy like Gallimore gives you more penetration and pass rush, but Grover has been solid against the run.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Grover has actually been pretty good. Now a guy like Gallimore gives you more penetration and pass rush, but Grover has been solid against the run.

Which is why I'd like him to be the 3 on run downs, but we need someone like Brockers to control the line

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

A 3 tech will not improve our run defense

Our run defense doesn't need improved much. Last season we were top 5 in yards allowed per game, our big issue was defending the short pass. If we can get a dominant rushing 3-tech, as well as another Edge in FA (Clowney?), and look at FA corners potentially, then I think the defense can finish its climb from bottom of the league a few years back to a legit top 5 defense.

28 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Our run defense doesn't need improved much. Last season we were top 5 in yards allowed per game, our big issue was defending the short pass. If we can get a dominant rushing 3-tech, as well as another Edge in FA (Clowney?), and look at FA corners potentially, then I think the defense can finish its climb from bottom of the league a few years back to a legit top 5 defense.

Misleading. Teams didn't run on us because our secondary had a lot of injuries, but when teams did run, we got pushed back and our LBers got blocked. We're too small in the middle