Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Goals for the First Two Days of the Draft

In no particular order:

- A top-end WR.  All of our returning possibilities had terrible injury years: TY, Campbell, Fountain (best camp of any Colt, then dislocated ankle).  There’s lots of talent there, with Pascal likely to be re-signed IMO, Marcus Johnson coming on, Dulin surprising, etc.  But we HAVE to make triply sure that Brissett has a top option to throw to next year.  No more messing around at WR.

- NT/DT.  Ballard wants to have 8 starters on the DL he can rotate.  It was clear early in the year that he didn’t believe he had that 2nd team big guy to rotate with Grover (who had a great year).

- OL Depth.  Looking over the roster after final cuts, nothing stood out more to me than how poor our OL depth is.  I like Haeg and we should re-sign him, but both Andrews and LeRaven looked terrible against 2nd and 3rd teamers in Preseason.  Both have been serviceable in the past, but thank God we haven’t had OL injuries this year for the first time in recent memory.

If course, the QB position is the big, ole matzo ball hanging out there, but I think Brissett gets another year and Kelly gets a long look as backup.  Failing Jeudy, Lamb, or Derrick Brown falling to us in Round 1, I could definitely see us bringing in Tristan Wirfs, Alex Leatherwood, or Jedrick Wills and pushing Glowinski out of the starting lineup...wouldn’t that be an unpopular move around here?!

• Like 3

I would love to draft Derrick Brown, but I honestly think Ballard will go after Jordan Love.  

I think 2021 is where we will Need to go after the elite WR.  I think Ja'Marr Chase and Justyn Ross will both enter that draft year. 

I wouldn't mind drafting Hakeem Adeniji to replace Glowinski. Hakeem is athletic enough to do well in a zone blocking scheme.

With Vinatieri missing XPs  & FGs I think it's also a good idea to find his replacement. I think McLaughlin has done well, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Sam Sloman from Miami (OH) Redhawks to see which one is better.

Good post. I too think getting a notified #1 or #2 WR is paramount in this draft class, with how good the class is. I'm actually more in favor of getting 2 quality WRs, just to be sure we are loaded and ready at that position once Hilton starts declining. 

DT is definitely a huge position of need. Once we get a great DT to man the middle of the defense, it will make everyone else look better. I am praying that DT Chris Jones from KC gets free and tests free agency and Ballard goes and gets him. He could make this pass rush great if Turay, Banogu, and Houston stay healthy for the most part.

OL depth is a definite need as well. I for one want Costanzo extended since he still has good years left in him. Then in the draft I wouldn't be opposed to getting a swing OT that can play if either Anthony or Braden were to get injured. Then I'd be in favor of drafting a talented OG that can challenge Glow for that RG position.

Finally at QB, unless a guy is there that Ballard is confident will be a star for us, I'm hoping we don't reach for a QB just to have one challenging Brissett. I do like Love, I just don't know if he is worth a mid 1st round pick, especially if a guy like CeeDee Lamb is available. I think late 1st, early 2nd is where he should go. So I'm holding out hope Indy can get Love with their early 2nd rounder. Or I'd be even okay moving up a bit from the early 2nd to the late 1st to snatch him in front of a New England for example. 

I'm with whoever said to draft 2 quality WR's. This class has the depth, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go WR twice in the first 5 or so picks, with one being either the 1st or Skins pick. 

I'm really really liking Devonta Smith from Bama, he was a really highly ranked recruit coming in, higher than Jeudy if I'm not mistaken, but has up til this year been overshadowed by high-end talent everywhere, guys like Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, etc. I wouldn't be upset to see them grab him with the Skins pick, or even better with the latter 2nd, tho I'm not sure he will last that long, I feel like there will be several large runs on WR in this draft being that it's so stacked. 

I think if you have the chance to draft a high end guy like Derrick Brown (DL), Andrew Thomas (OT), Javon Kinlaw (DL, or AJ Epenesa (DE) with our 1st you almost have to do that, those are Pro Bowl guys that make the team better, not random chance at the QB position. If a WR like Jeudy or Lamb fell then I'd be okay with that too, I feel like those guys are legit superstars at the next level. 

I have a feeling the order of our picks will be something like this: (1) QB (2.1) WR (2.2) DT/OL 3) WR/DT/OL. I'd be really surprised if we didn't come away with a QB, at least 1 WR, a DLineman, and a OL with our picks on Days 1/2, unless a guy falls that is can't-miss value

• Like 1

I really hope we can land a DT in FA so we can concentrate on offense. There is also some tackles if we were thinking of moving smith back to guard. Some that might be first rounders. There are also some very good CB. Maybe Ballard will surprise and not go the direction we think. If we could land a corner and a DT in FA we could concentrate on offense in the draft.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be interesting to see JB's reaction or how he takes it if we take a QB in round 1.

Not good and that’s why it makes sense to cut him with Hoyer on the books for 2 more seasons. Hoyer knows what he is, a backup. Jacoby just doesn’t know that yet! 

I doubt Jacoby could mentor anymore than Hoyer,  if indeed Ballard goes QB in Rd 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Not good and that’s why it makes sense to cut him with Hoyer on the books for 2 more seasons. Hoyer knows what he is, a backup. Jacoby just doesn’t know that yet! 

I doubt Jacoby could mentor anymore than Hoyer,  if indeed Ballard goes QB in Rd 1.

Yeah I do not think he takes it well which is why I have been wondering about it.

53 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I would love to have JB stay as backup, but I think you are right. If we draft a QB, the rook doesn't need "ghosts" in the locker room either. JB probably wants to go somewhere where he can compete, just not sure where that would be. He'd be best going somewhere with a different system IMO.  

I really don't want to keep Hoyer though. Unless he's some savant at teaching and preparing for Ds, just not sure of his upside. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Eli for backup. Or hire him to replace Marcus Brady. Not to impressed with him given we've not seen a lot of improvements with JB.

54 minutes ago, MPStack said:

That audition quote from the reporter, really got to JB, so yeah, I’d think he’d be bitter. 

The questions are only going to get harder. I think the question was a little harsh, but not unfounded. The contract they gave him screamed audition. Basically it was a one year extension with a raise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I would love to have JB stay as backup, but I think you are right. If we draft a QB, the rook doesn't need "ghosts" in the locker room either. JB probably wants to go somewhere where he can compete, just not sure where that would be. He'd be best going somewhere with a different system IMO.  

I really don't want to keep Hoyer though. Unless he's some savant at teaching and preparing for Ds, just not sure of his upside. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Eli for backup. Or hire him to replace Marcus Brady. Not to impressed with him given we've not seen a lot of improvements with JB.

Jacoby best interest are to start next season and improve and earn himself a possible starting job somewhere else if we draft a QB and he sits a year.  I think we need to slow down on us drafting the future. We have no idea what ballard is thinking or if any of these QB will do well on interviews or on the whiteboard when they are asked to break down plays. Heck Burrow could end up being really bad when it comes to interviews. Ballard might decide to give Jacoby another year since so many weird things happened this year.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby best interest are to start next season and improve and earn himself a possible starting job somewhere else if we draft a QB and he sits a year.  I think we need to slow down on us drafting the future. We have no idea what ballard is thinking or if any of these QB will do well on interviews or on the whiteboard when they are asked to break down plays. Heck Burrow could end up being really bad when it comes to interviews. Ballard might decide to give Jacoby another year since so many weird things happened this year.

LOL.... NYG drafted a QB that was supposed to sit a year. And they had far worse of a team (OL, etc) surrounding him. That didn't go as planned....

All this "Love needs to sit a year", and "JB needs to start another year" is what you'd like to happen, nothing else. And you're right, we don't know what Ballard or Irsay are thinking, but I'm guessing you don't have an inside track on their plans anymore than any of us. There are lots of reasons you wouldn't want a new QB sitting behind a QB like JB, so lets not act like it's a no brainer.

And why do we need to slow down on discussion of drafting out future QB... It's a discussion board. If you don't think that's what we should do, fine it's you're prerogative,  but not sure you need to tell others to "slow down".... The overwhelming majority of folks are ready for the next chapter to begin.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL.... NYG drafted a QB that was supposed to sit a year. And they had far worse of a team (OL, etc) surrounding him. That didn't go as planned....

All this "Love needs to sit a year", and "JB needs to start another year" is what you'd like to happen, nothing else. And you're right, we don't know what Ballard or Irsay are thinking, but I'm guessing you don't have an inside track on their plans anymore than any of us. There are lots of reasons you wouldn't want a new QB sitting behind a QB like JB, so lets not act like it's a no brainer.

And why do we need to slow down on discussion of drafting out future QB... It's a discussion board. If you don't think that's what we should do, fine it's you're prerogative,  but not sure you need to tell others to "slow down".... The overwhelming majority of folks are ready for the next chapter to begin.

What ever QB we draft, Reich will know who the best of the two are between JB and who we draft. If Reich feels like the rook is better than the rook will start IMO. Regarding Jones, Giants aren't that good but he does have arguably the best RB in the league when healthy. I like Mack a lot but imagine if JB had Barkley.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What ever QB we draft, Reich will know who the best of the two are between JB and who we draft. If Reich feels like the rook is better than the rook will start IMO. Regarding Jones, Giants aren't that good but he does have arguably the best RB in the league when healthy. I like Mack a lot but imagine if JB had Barkley.

Mack is #7, while Barkley is #15 in YPG.... and the Colts are 6th in YPG while NYG are 26th... Not saying Mack is more talented than Barkley, but JB has it great in terms of both an OL to protect him, and a running game to fall back on. 

Jones would trade our OL for Barkley any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Rook QBs typically get ruined when they are forced to play behind a bad OL, and don't have a running game for balance.... not really just because they have to play early. A rook really couldn't ask for a better landing spot than the Colts. The only thing a rook might struggle with in Indy is learning scheme and adjusting to the speed of the game, and those are two things you only learn with playing time.

Not saying we should start a rook day one, or Reich would want to do that, but all this "JB needs to play next year" is sort of silly. Every situation is different. JB may not even want to stay next year if we draft a QB. Or he could end up disgruntled. It's rare that a QB handles losing his job like Eli, but you never know. He could also handle it with grace and be happy to stay and be a backup. I do know one thing though, I don't see JB as an ideal mentor. He just doesn't have a lot of experience to draw from, nor is he great in any skill set areas. 

We aren’t even in the same situation as the giants lol. My point stands if the coaches feel a rookie will do best sitting for a year Jacoby will start. If the rookie comes in and blows the roof off in training camp then they will have to make a decision.  They better be sure that rookie is ready. My point was they aren’t going to cut Jacoby. What happens is that rookie stinks it up the first 2 games and is not ready. Who do you have left to salvage a season.  We need to slow down a little. I will laugh my * off of they pass on a couple QB everyone wants them to take. This forum will implode. 

I am ok with what ever they decide. If they draft the future it will be a QB they are in love with. If they decide to give Jacoby another year with some upgraded weapons and see what he can do if everyone stays healthy I am ok with that too. Why would he not want to stay. The chances are he is starting and he would want to improve his value to other teams.

A new QB can learn a lot on how to be a pro and leadership from Jacoby.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We aren’t even in the same situation as the giants lol. My point stands if the coaches feel a rookie will do best sitting for a year Jacoby will start. If the rookie comes in and blows the roof off in training camp then they will have to make a decision.  They better be sure that rookie is ready. My point was they aren’t going to cut Jacoby. What happens is that rookie stinks it up the first 2 games and is not ready. Who do you have left to salvage a season.  We need to slow down a little. I will laugh my * off of they pass on a couple QB everyone wants them to take. This forum will implode. 

If we don't draft a QB this forum will implode, I can just tell. I am fine either way as with the right team around him and healthy, JB can go 10-6. On the other side of it I would like to see how a Love or Herbert would do behind our Line. The draft is such a crapshoot though unless you have an Elway, Peyton, or a Luck coming out. Everyone knew those guys were going to be great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't draft a QB this forum will implode, I can just tell. I am fine either way as with the right team around him and healthy, JB can go 10-6. On the other side of it I would like to see how a Love or Herbert would do behind our Line. The draft is such a crapshoot though unless you have an Elway, Peyton, or a Luck coming out. Everyone knew those guys were going to great.

I will laugh even harder at the implosion when the season starts if Jacoby has a probowl season next year. The bottom line no one has a crystal ball to know what will happen next year if Jacoby starts. Everyone needs to just relax. It will all play out like it is supposed to. Nothing we say or do will change what ballard does in the draft.  It sure would be nice to go into the season next year with no drama.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mack is #7, while Barkley is #15 in YPG.... and the Colts are 6th in YPG while NYG are 26th... Not saying Mack is more talented than Barkley, but JB has it great in terms of both an OL to protect him, and a running game to fall back on. 

Jones would trade our OL for Barkley any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Rook QBs typically get ruined when they are forced to play behind a bad OL, and don't have a running game for balance.... not really just because they have to play early. A rook really couldn't ask for a better landing spot than the Colts. The only thing a rook might struggle with in Indy is learning scheme and adjusting to the speed of the game, and those are two things you only learn with playing time.

Not saying we should start a rook day one, or Reich would want to do that, but all this "JB needs to play next year" is sort of silly. Every situation is different. JB may not even want to stay next year if we draft a QB. Or he could end up disgruntled. It's rare that a QB handles losing his job like Eli, but you never know. He could also handle it with grace and be happy to stay and be a backup. I do know one thing though, I don't see JB as an ideal mentor. He just doesn't have a lot of experience to draw from, nor is he great in any skill set areas. 

With our Line if Barkley played all 16 games I think he could go for 2000 Yards with JB at QB. Mack at best would be 1400, JMO.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will laugh even harder at the implosion when the season starts if Jacoby has a probowl season next year. The bottom line no one has a crystal ball to know what will happen next year if Jacoby starts. Everyone needs to just relax. It will all play out like it is supposed to. Nothing we say or do will change what ballard does in the draft. 

Peyton went 3-13 his rookie season and threw 28 INT's. Some people back then probably said he sucked lmao and said we need to draft someone else. In year 2 he shut his critics up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With our Line if Barkley played all 16 games I think he could go for 2000 Yards with JB at QB. Mack at best would be 1400, JMO.

So you're saying JB needs even more than the 6th best RB to offset for his lack of passing game abilities? lol...

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton went 3-13 his rookie season and threw 28 INT's. Some people back then probably said he sucked lmao and said we need to draft someone else. In year 2 he shut his critics up. 

Nah. He still put up 3700+ yards, and that was without Harrison for 4 or 5 games. 

After like game 4 or 5 of that year, the games started to be very competitive for the most part. 

Even at 3-13, it was a ton funner than the previous year, and I think PM improved on Hairball's total by like 75% or something like that. And that was with a pretty bad team around him. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not saying that but I am saying Jones has that was my point. RB isn't our problem, WR is much more of a problem.

So what was the problem early in the season when JB was laying eggs with sub 50 QBRs with a healthy TY and a very productive Mack? Honest question. To me he's still making the same exact mistakes with or without TY.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So what was the problem early in the season when JB was laying eggs with sub 50 QBRs with a healthy TY and a very productive Mack? Honest question. To me he's still making the same exact mistakes with or without TY.

How healthy has TY really been all year? Ever since he got injured and missed the Oakland game he hasn't looked right IMO. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How healthy has TY really been all year? Ever since he got injured and missed the Oakland game he hasn't looked right IMO. 

TY hasn't looked good all year even when healthy, but that describes just about every WR and TE we've had (it's been an input problem)..... But OK I'll play.... , what about the the 30ish QBR  and 150ish yards from JB in game 2 before OAK.... He was only +1 in TO/TD diff...(INT and Fumble)....   you keep narrowing the field... but still, turds can be found... 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

TY hasn't looked good all year even when healthy, but that describes just about every WR and TE we've had (it's been an input problem)..... But OK I'll play.... , what about the the 30ish QBR  and 150ish yards from JB in game 2 before OAK.... He was only +1 in TO/TD diff...(INT and Fumble)....   you keep narrowing the field... but still, turds can be found... 

The game before the Oakland game was against the Falcons and JB threw for 300 Yards and we won. The KC game, gameplan was to run the ball a lot and it kept working so JB didn't have to do much in that one. Running the ball a lot was very smart because it kept Mahomes off the field. TY comes back vs Houston and looks fairly healthy and once again JB throws for over 300 yards and we win again. I am really not narrowing anything, I am just going by what I see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The game before the Oakland game was against the Falcons and JB threw for 300 Yards and we won. The KC game, gameplan was to run the ball a lot and it kept working so JB didn't have to do much in that one. Running the ball a lot was very smart because it kept Mahomes off the field. TY comes back vs Houston and looks fairly healthy and once again JB throws for over 300 yards and we win again. I am really not narrowing anything, I am just going by what I see. 

I'm talking about game 2, which was TN. TY was very healthy that game, and TN's pass D is not good.

In Hou1, JB tried to force it to TY all first half when TY was doubled and tripled. Everyone else was running wide open. Once he finally starting going to Pascal, things started to work. TY was only 6 of 11 that game. Keep in mind Houston's pass D is garbage too.