Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jamaal Anderson will Probably Play DT

Andy

From what I've read about the Colts' traning camp, it seems like Jamaal Anderson is going to play Defensive Tackle, only making that position more confusing. We now have him, Tommie Harris, Fili Moala, Antonio Johnson, Demario Pressley, and maybe Eric Foster. Do you guys think it's better for him to move to DT?

since anderson is a better run stopper then pass rusher, hes probably gonna be in on running downs with AJ and harris and nevis/foster on passing downs. or we can take mathis out on running downs and put anderson to the outside with aj and harris/moala inside. theres a lot of things we can do

since anderson is a better run stopper then pass rusher, hes probably gonna be in on running downs with AJ and harris and nevis/foster on passing downs. or we can take mathis out on running downs and put anderson to the outside with aj and harris/moala inside. theres a lot of things we can do

Anderson lost 20 pounds or so he says and also he was playing DE in the scrimmage across mathis, so i doubt he will be playing on running downs at DT, its gonna be Johnson and Moala on run downs... and Harris and Nevis on passing downs... i dont think foster is gonna make it this yr but who knows.

Anderson lost 20 pounds or so he says and also he was playing DE in the scrimmage across mathis, so i doubt he will be playing on running downs at DT, its gonna be Johnson and Moala on run downs... and Harris and Nevis on passing downs... i dont think foster is gonna make it this yr but who knows.

fine, but i still see us using him on running downs and then using mathis on passing downs

Since he is a better run defender than a pass defender, I was hoping he would play DT from the start. I don't think we need any more DEs because I am hoping Chick makes the roster and I'm sure Hughes will too. The good thing is that he is versatile, he has experience at both DT and DE.

Since he is a better run defender than a pass defender, I was hoping he would play DT from the start. I don't think we need any more DEs because I am hoping Chick makes the roster and I'm sure Hughes will too. The good thing is that he is versatile, he has experience at both DT and DE.

Who would have thought the colts would have this much depth at DT and DE, then again gotta wait a few games to actually see if it looks as good on the field as it looks on paper.

Anderson is the Colts updated version of Raheem Brock. He'll likely play all over the line. I love the way this D is shaping up, but I think the Colts may be one starter short somewhere in the defensive backfield. Probably a corner. If Lacey/Tryon/Thomas don't work out, it will be interesting to see where they go with that.

If he really lost 20 pounds that tells me that he was signed as a DE, then when the Colts saw him in person made the switch because he wouldn't have any chance playing DE. I watched him during his Atlanta days, I seriously doubt he makes this team. DT is his only chance, and for that he'll have to gain back those 20 pounds and beat out someone else, both of which I doubt.

From what I've read about the Colts' traning camp, it seems like Jamaal Anderson is going to play Defensive Tackle, only making that position more confusing. We now have him, Tommie Harris, Fili Moala, Antonio Johnson, Demario Pressley, and maybe Eric Foster. Do you guys think it's better for him to move to DT?

From what I saw personally, he was the run down defensive end. He played no DT.

If he really lost 20 pounds that tells me that he was signed as a DE, then when the Colts saw him in person made the switch because he wouldn't have any chance playing DE. I watched him during his Atlanta days, I seriously doubt he makes this team. DT is his only chance, and for that he'll have to gain back those 20 pounds and beat out someone else, both of which I doubt.

First off he was playing defensive end yesterday.

Secondly, Mathis, Freeney and Hughes are givens at DE and the Colts will likely have 4 DE's on the roster. Who else is on the roster that is such a lock at DE that Anderson will have a tough time beating out?

agreed , though he didnt pass rush as drafted for, he was # 6 DE at stopping the run, he'd play DT then on 3rd down maybe and let the bookends attack

... It's obviously gonna be him at DE. He might of been a DE/DT hybrid but we actually got talent at DT ATM so ya.

He will be a run stopping DE while rotating primarily for Mathis

Ranked 6th best run stopping DE in 2010 and his penetrartion and strength and athlectism make it his greatest asset

who will stop the run best at dt? we cant let people run through our line because they can run over our small linebackers

Ok, first, Sims is a good tackler. So is Angerer, actually. The issue isn't whether the back gets through the line, it's whether the O-line (and, if there is one, the FB) gets to the second level before the RB. The idea is for the d-line to hold their ground, occupy blockers, disrupt the blocking scheme, and, ideally, to limit the RB's options and force the RB to hesitate before hitting the hole, allowing the LBs to play the gaps and hold the back to no gain or a short gain. The problem is when our LBs get blocked by a FB or a pulling guard or what have you, where their size does create problems. If the d-line does its job, then small, fast LBs fit the scheme quite well. And this is shaping up to be the best D-line we've had in years.

People forget that Coyer said in an article last season (on colts.com, I believe) that he's fine with playing 3 DEs and 1 DT. (Which is basically what we did at times with Freeney, Mathis, and Brock)

The article was about getting Hughes on the field with Freeney & Mathis, so playing Jamaal at DT on occasion shouldn't be too big of a shock.

Ok, first, Sims is a good tackler. So is Angerer, actually. The issue isn't whether the back gets through the line, it's whether the O-line (and, if there is one, the FB) gets to the second level before the RB. The idea is for the d-line to hold their ground, occupy blockers, disrupt the blocking scheme, and, ideally, to limit the RB's options and force the RB to hesitate before hitting the hole, allowing the LBs to play the gaps and hold the back to no gain or a short gain. The problem is when our LBs get blocked by a FB or a pulling guard or what have you, where their size does create problems. If the d-line does its job, then small, fast LBs fit the scheme quite well. And this is shaping up to be the best D-line we've had in years.

ok you make it sound like it will be ok but who would you put at dt to stop the run in short yardage?

People forget that Coyer said in an article last season (on colts.com, I believe) that he's fine with playing 3 DEs and 1 DT. (Which is basically what we did at times with Freeney, Mathis, and Brock)

The article was about getting Hughes on the field with Freeney & Mathis, so playing Jamaal at DT on occasion shouldn't be too big of a shock.

I could see it happening and you are right. It's just now we have TALENT. At pass rushing DT's ( we think) so we won't have to as much as before

But I could see a NASCAR formation like the giants did at times

Dare we Colt fans utter the words... "versatility" and "depth" in the same sentence regarding he DL?

I am really stoked at the options this DL "apparently" has in fold.

Very exciting time for Indy fans.