Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis vs Holder

WoolMagnet

37 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

First, I never said any of that in the first two paragraphs. I said it’s not hard to believe that Holder sent that tweet with the intention of implying that Adam just all but said he was going to retire on Monday. That was everyone’s assumption as soon as they saw it. Yes everyone was thinking it was coming anyways, but that tweet helped to confirm assumptions.

I don’t know if he has or not. I could see why he would, but he did say that he hasn’t. Maybe he is a liar?

Let me ask you this, does Robert Mathis leach out at all reporters? Does he have a history of taking to twitter to call people out? This is the first time I’ve heard of him doing it? 

Use some common sense. Or believe everything Holder puts on Twitter. 

It’s theoretically possible that both of these are true:

A) Holder (etal) quoted AV correctly 

B) Vinatieri hasn’t contemplated retirement and meant something else when he said what he said

But I will say that I find it incredibly hard to believe B.  It would defy human nature for a professional of Adam’s caliber and pedigree to have gone through these last two games — especially the LAC game where his missed kicks lost us the game — and not have even had a thought that it was time to hang it up...particularly considering all the chatter about it.

I have a natural (and healthy, IMO) distrust of media people.  But I do believe Holder here.  It would be incredibly irresponsible for a well-heeled journalist to just fabricate a quote.  Especially on his primary beat, where he needs to maintain contacts and relationships.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 4:38 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Good for Mathis! 

I really don't know how Holder got his job. 

Holder simply repeated what he was told. Not sure what you have against him but in this case, he did ZERO wrong. How people chose to interpret his tweet was entirely on them.

Is a journalist not supposed to do his job i.e. report without bias? Same way people dogged on Adam Schefter for reporting that Luck news during the game. It's their job.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Vinny admitted to saying it. He said after sitting on it he decided he needed another day to clear his head before talking to the media. Holder never mentioned retirement in his tweet. 

Someone else in the national media actually corroborated Holder's story and added the layer that Vinny was definitely retiring but the Colts where trying to talk him into staying. That story sounds true. It's very plausible that Vinny was going to call it a day and Reich/Ballard convinced him to give it one more shot.

We can kill the media for a lot of things but when they call it as it was said, geez lets use some sense here.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, Btown_Colt said:

How do you know he quoted him verbatim?

I’m going to venture to say that Mathis and Vinatieri speak to one another. Is completely unimaginable that Vinatieri told Mathis, man that’s not what I said at all.

Mike Wells of ESPN was with Holder, he repeated the exact same thing.

Vinny had also said something almost identical to Zach Keefer and someone else. 

Heck even Pat McAfee went along with the whole retirement angle. Who do you think is closer to AV? Mac or Mathis?

You don't like Holder, that's no problem but when you let your personal bias cloud your judgement of his work, how are you any different from him or the stuff you're accusing him of i.e. biases?   

Mathis is passionate and a ride-or-die guy but he needs to take the back seat on this one, he jumped the gun just like everyone else in their own way.

• Like 1

Yet another classic thread here on Colts.com.....     another,  "it's the media's fault!"

Of course AV considered retirement.   He absolutely did.    The conversation he had with Holder and with other media standing right there backs it up.

Adam says:   I'm not talking today, I"ll see you tomorrow.

Holder says:   No you won't, tomorrow is your day off.

Adam says:     Yes,  you will see me tomorrow.

That may not mean Adam would announce his retirement but it absolutely means he was thinking about it.     Why else does he makes that statement.    Adam needs to take some responsibility for the words that come directly out of his mouth.    And he knows it too.  

I don't care that Adam changed his mind.   But hanging a reporter out to dry is not a good move by AV.    And he's been a pro long enough to know it.    He should apologize to Holder,  even if it's private.

But the person,  who is the bad guy in all this isn't AV.    It's Mathis.   Trying to be a tough guy with the media and saying he's supporting his friend and former teammate.    Mathis was wrong, and he was a *.    Trying to intimidate a reporter is not a classy look.   If he wants to be known as a jerk -- fine -- but he can't have it both ways.

But Adam saying he never thought about retiring, plus Reich's comment that Adam is their kicker 100%, complete faith,  and then the team tries out a half-dozen kickers on Tuesday simply doesn't add up.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Holder simply repeated what he was told. Not sure what you have against him but in this case, he did ZERO wrong. How people chose to interpret his tweet was entirely on them.

Is a journalist not supposed to do his job i.e. report without bias? Same way people dogged on Adam Schefter for reporting that Luck news during the game. It's their job.

I simply feel Holder doesn't ever have insider info, and 99% of his stuff is conjecture. 

Pat on the back to him for actually getting a player quote for once. 

Plus, if Mathis didn't like it, then I don't like it. 

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I simply feel Holder doesn't ever have insider info, and 99% of his stuff is conjecture. 

Pat on the back to him for actually getting a player quote for once. 

Plus, if Mathis didn't like it, then I don't like it. 

Well you can say that for most of the local media though. Occasionally you'll hear them complain about how some national guy has more connections with the Colts admin than them. They know the Colts FAR better than any of the national media though. He has player quotes a lot but not any more than the rest of the local media, essentially 'liking' a local journalist seems to depend on whether you like his/her voice and the way they carry themselves.

If Mathis jumps in front of the Colts bus and gets run over, you'd better be first in line to repeat that trick.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Well you can say that for most of the local media though. Occasionally you'll hear them complain about how some national guy has more connections with the Colts admin than them. They know the Colts FAR better than any of the national media though. He has player quotes a lot but not any more than the rest of the local media, essentially 'liking' a local journalist seems to depend on whether you like his/her voice and the way they carry themselves.

If Mathis jumps in front of the Colts bus and gets run over, you'd better be first in line to repeat that trick.

giphy.gif

I just love the fact that Robert Mathis truly bleeds blue. 

He absolutely overreacted in this case, but I am still glad to see it. With all the disloyalty in pro sports today, on both sides...........He is a Colt and always will be. I love the guy.

And Holder isn't bad, he is just a guy trying to do his job. I took the same thing from Vinnys comments. And I dont believe him, I think if he has one more poor performance, he is gone for sure. That's what the tryouts were all about.

Every team needs a Mathis.

• Like 3