Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gary Brackett Failed Physical, Lacey To Visit Lions

chad72

Mods, please move to NFL General, if necessary.

http://twitter.com/#!/caplannfl

It also says Robert Gallery released by Seahawks, played hurt last year, is healthy now???? Is he a good guard when healthy??

I believe Gallary was a tackle but perhaps they moved him to guard because he was a bust at tackle idk. Bracket was injured so I don't know why he would be able to pass a physical. His injury, small stature, and huge contract made him a likely candidate to get cut imo.

I believe Gallary was a tackle but perhaps they moved him to guard because he was a bust at tackle idk. Bracket was injured so I don't know why he would be able to pass a physical. His injury, small stature, and huge contract made him a likely candidate to get cut imo.

It depends on how you look at it. He definitely was a bust for the Raiders; They spent a first rounder on him.

The scouting report from Scouts, Inc. states the following.

"Gallery is a massive guard with very quick feet and can be very quick coming out on the pull. He makes nice adjustments when locking into opponents in the open field. He has struggled to stay healthy over the past two seasons. He has learned how to be more effective with his hand use and has the strength to control and steer opponents as he rides them by the pocket. He plays with a good temperament and will finish blocks off when given the opportunity. He works hard to keep his pad level down to leverage blocks."

Like any free agent he would be worth it depending on the money he wants.

Gallery really sucks and only plays for high salaries.

He doesn't really suck, he just isn't as good as the #2 pick that they spent on him. He has the number 2 pick in his mind, so he thinks he thinks he's that kind of player and deserves that money. He doesn't, but if he came for cheap, he could be a good RG.

It depends on how you look at it. He definitely was a bust for the Raiders; They spent a first rounder on him.

The scouting report from Scouts, Inc. states the following.

"Gallery is a massive guard with very quick feet and can be very quick coming out on the pull. He makes nice adjustments when locking into opponents in the open field. He has struggled to stay healthy over the past two seasons. He has learned how to be more effective with his hand use and has the strength to control and steer opponents as he rides them by the pocket. He plays with a good temperament and will finish blocks off when given the opportunity. He works hard to keep his pad level down to leverage blocks."

Like any free agent he would be worth it depending on the money he wants.

I am sure they know better than me his talent but I think this team is changing philosophy and will look at smash mouth/run blocking o-line. We have a rookie qb and a transitioning defense. We will look to play ball control and try to stay in games. Just looking at the guys we have brought in already on the line shows that we are leaning towards guys skilled at run blocking. I didn't see that really a strength in that report but yes...if he is good he could help us but likely to much money considering his previous contracts.

I'm telling you, the players that missed the whole season due to injury, weren't in shape and start getting into shape in mid May so that they're good for training camp. Brackett and Bullitt were injured all year and were kinda recovering from their injuries. No kidding they were going to fail their physicals. Man, it seems like the Lions like to take or at least look at our releasees. I'd like to see Lacey stay though. He got better last year and is getting better. He could become a good nickel cornerback. Bring him back for 4y for about 1.75M each year. So a 4y 7.50M with 4M in his first two years would be good. Keep Lacey as much as people hate him, he has potential and some talent.

He doesn't really suck, he just isn't as good as the #2 pick that they spent on him. He has the number 2 pick in his mind, so he thinks he thinks he's that kind of player and deserves that money. He doesn't, but if he came for cheap, he could be a good RG.

Second lowest rated Guard in the league last year by ProFootballFocus says he really sucks. Saying he's been playing hurt sounds like an excuse so a team will sign him.

Second lowest rated Guard in the league last year by ProFootballFocus says he really sucks. Saying he's been playing hurt sounds like an excuse so a team will sign him.

Where does it say that? I went on there and it said this:

"One of those is left guard Robert Gallery, who (when he wasn’t injured) continued his strong play since moving inside, including doing a good job of protecting the QB. When healthy he’s now one of the better guards around"

From 2010 on the 2009 season... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/04/09/2009-offensive-line-rankings-—-23-32/

I'm telling you, the players that missed the whole season due to injury, weren't in shape and start getting into shape in mid May so that they're good for training camp. Brackett and Bullitt were injured all year and were kinda recovering from their injuries. No kidding they were going to fail their physicals. Man, it seems like the Lions like to take or at least look at our releasees. I'd like to see Lacey stay though. He got better last year and is getting better. He could become a good nickel cornerback. Bring him back for 4y for about 1.75M each year. So a 4y 7.50M with 4M in his first two years would be good. Keep Lacey as much as people hate him, he has potential and some talent.

Detroit is extremely weak at CB. I would imagine they would outbid us for him and he isn't good enough for us to waste money on him. If we could get him for what you said sure because corners are hard to come by and ours either need tons of teaching to forget that whole tampa 2 because it was like we were just giving people 10 yard routes and praying they didn't go over the top. I don't mind us getting beat from time to time as long as we are aggressive...cause some turnovers and possibly shorten the field for our offense on occassion instead of trying to hold teams to field goals.

Where does it say that? I went on there and it said this:

"One of those is left guard Robert Gallery, who (when he wasn’t injured) continued his strong play since moving inside, including doing a good job of protecting the QB. When healthy he’s now one of the better guards around"

From 2010 on the 2009 season... http://www.profootba...nkings-—-23-32/

That might have been the case 3 seasons ago, but this year he had a -21.5 ranking. Only Adam Snyder rated worse. If he was hurt then why did he keep starting whilst having such a bad performance, and why did he get cut? It's not like Seattle is hurting for cap space.

Detroit is extremely weak at CB. I would imagine they would outbid us for him and he isn't good enough for us to waste money on him. If we could get him for what you said sure because corners are hard to come by and ours either need tons of teaching to forget that whole tampa 2 because it was like we were just giving people 10 yard routes and praying they didn't go over the top. I don't mind us getting beat from time to time as long as we are aggressive...cause some turnovers and possibly shorten the field for our offense on occassion instead of trying to hold teams to field goals.

They aren't as weak as us at CB. At least they have 2 good starters in Alphonso Smith and Chris Houston. Powers is our only capable starter. No one is going to be bidding crazy for Jacob Lacey, and I would dump him if they start getting crazy money wise. I think he has potential as a nickel cornerback with the Colts. He performed well there with our old Tampa 2, so you have to expect he does better in Pagano's system. Lacey will not be asking for a lot, so we should just keep him for depth and a possibility to play as a nickel cornerback.

That might have been the case 3 seasons ago, but this year he had a -21.5 ranking. Only Adam Snyder rated worse. If he was hurt then why did he keep starting whilst having such a bad performance, and why did he get cut? It's not like Seattle is hurting for cap space.

True. Interesting way to look at it. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. It all depends on his actual market value. With the Redskins and Raiders probably out of the mix maybe we could get him fairly cheap and give him another shot.

Ok, so you're basing this guy off one websites opinion, and a website that is really not that popular. Watch him play, you'll realize he's not bad. When did I say his injury effected his play, I never said that. I hate that when people say that I said something, but I didnt say it. He got cut due to his big salary and his age. Their looking for youth at that spot. Their last 2 first round picks have been to their O-line and there's a good chance they spend that pick on Dacastro this year.

They aren't as weak as us at CB. At least they have 2 good starters in Alphonso Smith and Chris Houston. Powers is our only capable starter. No one is going to be bidding crazy for Jacob Lacey, and I would dump him if they start getting crazy money wise. I think he has potential as a nickel cornerback with the Colts. He performed well there with our old Tampa 2, so you have to expect he does better in Pagano's system. Lacey will not be asking for a lot, so we should just keep him for depth and a possibility to play as a nickel cornerback.

I have a hard time thinking anyone on their roster is that good to get torched through the air like they did last year. I am unfamiliar with who they have picked up in FA. NO and GB set records against those guys lol.

Ok, so you're basing this guy off one websites opinion, and a website that is really not that popular. Watch him play, you'll realize he's not bad. When did I say his injury effected his play, I never said that. I hate that when people say that I said something, but I didnt say it. He got cut due to his big salary and his age. Their looking for youth at that spot. Their last 2 first round picks have been to their O-line and there's a good chance they spend that pick on Dacastro this year.

PFF may not be hugely popular, but they do their homework. They watch every play, and when people get beat, their grade drops. You don't get such a strongly negative grade by being a good player. He is not worth it, especially at the cost he probably thinks he's worth.

lol I can't believe we're arguing about Robert Gallery on the Colts forum.

I have a hard time thinking anyone on their roster is that good to get torched through the air like they did last year. I am unfamiliar with who they have picked up in FA. NO and GB set records against those guys lol.

NO scored 63 points against us...what's your point? Weak secondaries get torched by offenses with great QBs. The fact of the matter is, they have more quality players than us. We have Antoine Bethea and Powers as our quality players, and they have Smith, Houston, Delmas and Harris as their quality players. All they need is depth and a nickel cornerback on their team. We need help at SS, and depth + a starter at CB. Lacey is a good nickel cornerback.

PFF may not be hugely popular, but they do their homework. They watch every play, and when people get beat, their grade drops. You don't get such a strongly negative grade by being a good player. He is not worth it, especially at the cost he probably thinks he's worth.

lol I can't believe we're arguing about Robert Gallery on the Colts forum.

Ok, that's fair. I think with the right system and with the right price, he could succeed as a right guard in most systems. He's a strong guy. He just asks for too much money and he gets injured too easily, so teams look at it as a high price for a high risk player. He's a tough player, so he comes back quickly from those injuries early, but I don't think it really effects it play, but it doesn't help. He's a bust, but he's an okay player. If he comes for cheap, teams would contact him right away, but I heard his personality is weird, so that doesn't help.

NO scored 63 points against us...what's your point? Weak secondaries get torched by offenses with great QBs. The fact of the matter is, they have more quality players than us. We have Antoine Bethea and Powers as our quality players, and they have Smith, Houston, Delmas and Harris as their quality players. All they need is depth and a nickel cornerback on their team. We need help at SS, and depth + a starter at CB. Lacey is a good nickel cornerback.

Look maybe it was our system but we gave up less passing yards then they did and our defense was on the field WAAAAY more than theirs. Sure we didn't intercept nearly as many passes but their second best CB just went to TB. Perhaps they are more talented. To be honest I don't know if our guys can guard a high school wr man because we play zone so much. You may be right and probably are but I have a hard time saying Detroit's secondary is better than anyone outside of Dallas lol.

Look maybe it was our system but we gave up less passing yards then they did and our defense was on the field WAAAAY more than theirs. Sure we didn't intercept nearly as many passes but their second best CB just went to TB. Perhaps they are more talented. To be honest I don't know if our guys can guard a high school wr man because we play zone so much. You may be right and probably are but I have a hard time saying Detroit's secondary is better than anyone outside of Dallas lol.

Did you know that they took out Brees midway through the third quarter, as in the Lions game, they just kept going and going and going. Eric Wright is not their 2nd best CB. It goes Smith, Houston, then Wright. That's why his contract with TB is so stupid, because he doesn't deserve that kind of money. They have some good potential in Detroit in the secondary plus they have some good players there already like Smith and Delmas. Harris is a solid starter and Houston is a good #2 CB, not a number 1, which was a problem early in the season due to Smith's injury.

Did you know that they took out Brees midway through the third quarter, as in the Lions game, they just kept going and going and going. Eric Wright is not their 2nd best CB. It goes Smith, Houston, then Wright. That's why his contract with TB is so stupid, because he doesn't deserve that kind of money. They have some good potential in Detroit in the secondary plus they have some good players there already like Smith and Delmas. Harris is a solid starter and Houston is a good #2 CB, not a number 1, which was a problem early in the season due to Smith's injury.

Fine..I am not as familiar with Detroit as you are. I look at the numbers and we gave up fewer yards and nearly identicle points as them. Probably is our system that protected us from being torched more. All I know is Detroits secondary didn't pass the eye test for me ALL YEAR last year. Ranked in the 20's in pass defense didn't give me much reason to think they were that good. Perhaps its the cordinators fault or their d-line wasn't very good but they gave up 1 more passing touchdown than we did and more yards per game through the air even though there defense played less plays and was on the field less. All I am saying is they weren't that good. IDK guess they have potential but I am not going to start saying these guys are pro bowlers. I guess I had Wright as the #2 since he had the second most ints and almost more tackles than the other 2 combined. So he may have been the #3 IDK.

Fine..I am not as familiar with Detroit as you are. I look at the numbers and we gave up fewer yards and nearly identicle points as them. Probably is our system that protected us from being torched more. All I know is Detroits secondary didn't pass the eye test for me ALL YEAR last year. Ranked in the 20's in pass defense didn't give me much reason to think they were that good. Perhaps its the cordinators fault or their d-line wasn't very good but they gave up 1 more passing touchdown than we did and more yards per game through the air even though there defense played less plays and was on the field less. All I am saying is they weren't that good. IDK guess they have potential but I am not going to start saying these guys are pro bowlers. I guess I had Wright as the #2 since he had the second most ints and almost more tackles than the other 2 combined. So he may have been the #3 IDK.

Well, Louis Delmas is a Pro Bowler...I never said their secondary was good, but they're better than the Colts secondary. That's all.

Well, Louis Delmas is a Pro Bowler...I never said their secondary was good, but they're better than the Colts secondary. That's all.

I didn't realize he was an alternate the last two years. That surprised me...he has 2 career ints and was not in the top 20 of tackling efficiency for safties last year. Bethea ranked 14th best has twice as many ints and forced fumbles, more passes deflected and almost 80 more tackles in the past three years than Delmsa. Hmm..guess he just didn't stand out to me as I watched a lot of NFC North games because I will follow the Bears too. I guess I just didn't see him make that many plays but that could be a good thing too I suppose. Just based on our scheme alone I think our secondary is very suspect so it will be exciting to see what we do with our corners because in the recent past teams have plucked us dry of all of ours.

remember all the years Peyton would pick on lesser CB's, he would absolutely pick on them and embarrass them, Denver comes to mind many years ago, New York Giants, Pats, etc.. That Giant that one year was just torched, almost felt sorry for him,,,,ALMOST.

Keep Lacey as much as people hate him, he has potential and some talent.

I agree with this. Lacey was played on the outside way too much and is more comfortable playing as a nickel or dime corner on the inside, in zone situations. Normally, when you play inside, you have the luxury of the safety help more often than not behind you. On the outside, you either have to peek or the safety help tends to arrive later especially when good accurate QBs are threading the needle to beat the Cover 2 (the classic Cover 2 beating throw to the outside shoulder of the outside wideout). Plus, on the outside, since he is a bit on the smallish side to jam the wideouts, he has to give the cushion as well and then use his breaks in anticipation.

Since most teams operate out of nickel these days and the nickel corner normally being someone necessary to provide run support (especially in our division), Lacey's utility becomes more of a passing down nickel or dime corner. But he would still be a useful guy in the rotation since Pagano does play a lot of zone in his secondary.

Brackett a backup at best and would probably only come in if someone was injured I say he wont get picked up unless a roster spot needs filled or a devastating injury happens

Please, Gary is a great player and will definitely be going somewhere else. I would put money on that. He is ranked as one of the top MLB in the league and got injured last year on an interception.

I'm telling you that your word is totally false. Players that got injured for the whole season were in great shape. They had been working out hard anticipating that the league would end the lockout. I usually only read comments but it bothers me to see people make generalized assumptions that have no valid basis. I do agree Lacy is a young talented player.

I'm telling you that your word is totally false. Players that got injured for the whole season were in great shape. They had been working out hard anticipating that the league would end the lockout. I usually only read comments but it bothers me to see people make generalized assumptions that have no valid basis. I do agree Lacy is a young talented player.

Welcome to the forum, but buddy, you forgot one big thing.

This guys suffered season ending injuries. Just because the season ends doesn't mean their injuries go away. From what I heard, the shoulder surgeries they had were pretty serious, so it causes them to miss more than just the season. They were probably on cleared to play a couple of weeks ago. This is all an assumption, but I'm basing this on history and personal experience. A couple of weeks is not enough time to get back in shape, especially after spending the whole season plus some weeks after doing nothing. They couldn't work out during the year because of their injuries, so I don't know why you think they're in great shape. If I'm injured with a shoulder injury, I can't lift weights or run. The shoulder, especially is a very important spot on your body, and when you think about it, every injury forces you to not work out.

Bottomline, they can't work out and get in shape due to their injuries and even after the season was done, their injuries still effected them. They had little time to get in shape and they couldn't do it, therefore failing their physicals.

He was a solid player for us, but is that really saying alot? Our team got blown up this offseason, Brackets undersized and while not REAL old hes not young anymore, he will get picked up I bet, but he will be a backup. Ill go with Angerer, their are backups I would to over Bracket to be honest

It must have sucked for Brackett to sit on the sidelines and watch this kid from Iowa excel the way he did. Pat was supposed to just move over and fill in until Brackett got healthy but the kid played like a beast and took the job and proved he should be the MLB.

Did Gary sit on the sidelines and say "D@MN that kid made another tackle!" and "There goes my job!"