Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 2 impressions: Brissett

GoColts8818

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

That is pretty darn good.

That is pretty darn good.

His yards per attempt is the only thing any one can criticize him for at this point.    But if you remember,   Luck had a poor yards per attempt starting last season.    Let's give the guy a chance to settle in.   Anyone thinking Kelly would be better is nonsense

• Like 2

Just now, IndySouthsider said:

When you can dominate with the run like we have, why throw?

Our o line has owned the 4th quarter two weeks in a row.    I agree,   lean on your strength.     Jacoby and the long ball will happen.   Until then pound the rock

I think it will come together. Reich needs to get more imaginative.

I think Jacoby needs to have more confidence.   I think that will happen as well

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His yards per attempt is the only thing any one can criticize him for at this point.    But if you remember,   Luck had a poor yards per attempt starting last season.    Let's give the guy a chance to settle in.   Anyone thinking Kelly would be better is nonsense

Kelly isn’t the answer.  However, Jacoby has to do more.  Teams are going to see what the Titans did today and start doing it more to him until he shows them they have to respect the deep ball.  The Colts aren’t going to win many games if Jacoby has halves like he did in the second half today where he had close to 40 yards passing.  With that said, Jacoby is going to get the full season to show if he can continue his growth.  Hopefully he does.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Kelly isn’t the answer.  However, Jacoby has to do more.  Teams are going to see what the Titans did today and start doing it more to him until he shows them they have to respect the deep ball.  The Colts aren’t going to win many games if Jacoby has halves like he did in the second half today where he had close to 40 yards passing.  With that said, Jacoby is going to get the full season to show if he can continue his growth.  Hopefully he does.

I have zero inside info.   But it looks to me Jacoby is afraid to turn the ball over.    He is lacking confidence.   I'm positive that will change

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jacoby is not a finished product right now.  I agree has to grow and I fully expect him to do it.

People are looking at JB7 and seeing a 4th year starting QB but the dude basically has 1 year of experience and due to terrible coaching has some things to unlearn. 

Also remember that we've played 2 bloody good defenses in the first 2 games, like maybe even 2 of the top 5 defenses in the NFL.  The matchups aren't always going to be as hard as they have been in the last 2 weeks. I don't think that what we've seen so far is actually  indicative of the numbers he'll finish with. 

The fact that he was still able to deliver in the red zone against 2 very strong defenses is a very strong indicator of future success.  Just need to put in the time and gain consistency and confidence.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I have zero inside info.   But it looks to me Jacoby is afraid to turn the ball over.    He is lacking confidence.   I'm positive that will change

Yeah after he threw that INT I noticed he got really indecisive.  I think he got fooled on that play (great play by the Titan) and he was scared to do it again.  That’s where Frank and the QB coach have to get with him watching film and say trust what you see.  The guy made a great play you have to put it out of your mind.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah after he threw that INT I noticed he got really indecisive.  I think he got fooled on that play (great play by the Titan) and he was scared to do it again.  That’s where Frank and the QB coach have to get with him watching film and say trust what you see.  The guy made a great play you have to put it out of your mind.

Agreed.   This is his first real taste at being "the" guy.    Trust your read and your ability.   That was a bad throw though.    That and the 3rd down where he led TY out of bounds were the only bad throws I saw today

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The titans have a elite secondary. Not every team can do that.

• Like 1

The titans have a elite secondary. Not every team can do that.

No but every team can stack the box and play tight man on your WRs and challenge them at the line.  That’s what the Colts are going to see until they start going down the field.  They are going to pretty much beg the Colts to throw deep on them.  The Colts will need to take advantage of that.

Both of the teams we've played so far have had elite defenses.

Brissett still had 5 TDs

He's better tan we think

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

No but every team can stack the box and play tight man on your WRs and challenge them at the line.  That’s what the Colts are going to see until they start going down the field.  They are going to pretty much beg the Colts to throw deep on them.  The Colts will need to take advantage of that.

And against most of the rest of the league, they'll be able to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

He might be the first 2000 passing  yard 40 plus td guy lol

Getting 40 isn't easy. It's been done only 13 times, by 9 guys.

Manning    55, 49   (39)  (37)
Marino       48, 44
Rodgers      45, 40   (39)  (38)
Brees          46, 43   (39)  (37)
Brady         50       (39)
Mahomes  50
Stafford     41
Warner      41
Luck           40       (39)

----------------------------------------------------------

Favre           (39)   (38)
Culpepper  (39)

Matt Ryan  (38)

Jacoby underthrew the one long ball.  That isn’t overly concerning.  

The problem to to me is that he appears to be a one read or no read guy.  He locks on to a receiver and that won’t play in this league for long.

He has good TD numbers right now.  Last week though one was a 3 yd dump off play last week in which TY keystone kopped the two defenders and dove to the pylon.  That was not a significant play by JB.  The throw to Enron last week was superb.  But it was a quick hitter by the goal line.  

Today he threw a shovel pass which is basically the same as a handoff.  This play was set up by a hurtle job by Enron after a dumpoff on 3rd and long.

the last TD was a very low percentage throw that seemed to go through the defender set up by a long run.  The 2nd TD was a good but easy throw to Campbell schemed wide open and was a no read play. 

Can he read and make plays that aren’t quick hitters?  That is the question I am very skeptical about.  He had a couple of incredible scrambles but really isn’t a big play threat with not much speed.  He’s big and strong.  If he could shed defenders with eyes downfield and make plays like Big Ben that would be terrific.  So far there isn’t evidence he can do that.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Jacoby underthrew the one long ball.  That isn’t overly concerning.  

The problem to to me is that he appears to be a one read or no read guy.  He locks on to a receiver and that won’t play in this league for long.

He has good TD numbers right now.  Last week though one was a 3 yd dump off play last week in which TY keystone kopped the two defenders and dove to the pylon.  That was not a significant play by JB.  The throw to Enron last week was superb.  But it was a quick hitter by the goal line.  

Today he threw a shovel pass which is basically the same as a handoff.  This play was set up by a hurtle job by Enron after a dumpoff on 3rd and long.

the last TD was a very low percentage throw that seemed to go through the defender set up by a long run.  The 2nd TD was a good but east throw to Campbell schemes wide open and was a no read play. 

Can he read and make plays that aren’t quick hitters?  That is the question I am very skeptical about.  He had a couple of incredible scrambles but really isn’t a big play threat with not much speed.  He’s big and strong.  If he could shed defenders with eyes downfield and make plays like Big Ben that would be terrific.  So far there isn’t evidence he can do that.

How did Ben look today?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Luck threw 16 TD passes in the games we were 1-5.  He had a low yds/attempt.  We averaged around 75 yds rushing in those games.  After a couple of oline changes we started running the ball very effectively and yds per pass attempt skyrocketed.  

Thats is what seems a bad mix.  Extremely high rushing and low yds per attempt passing. 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

it wasn’t all on the receivers either, the announcers showed a play where if he gave TY another second or two he was coming open on the crossing pattern but Jacoby dumped it off before then.

I listened on the radio, so did not hear the comment.  But I question their judgement here.

I do know the primary target's distance downfield and the # of steps the QB takes is in lockstep.  Say it is medium depth dig.  QB takes 5 step drop, hitch, and releases the pass to a practiced spot. If they guy looks blanketed as the play develops, the QB must move on in the progression.  Hit the first open man. Brissett had (at least one or more) coverage sack(s), while waiting for a receiver to 'come open'.  QB's often don't get an extra 1-2 seconds after their drop back.

I'd rather see him dump off rather than get a sack or, especially, a strip sack while 'holding the ball too long (what many complained about tonight already!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I listened on the radio, so did not hear the comment.  But I question their judgement here.

I do know the primary target's distance downfield and the # of steps the QB takes is in lockstep.  Say it is medium depth dig.  QB takes 5 step drop, hitch, and releases the pass to a practiced spot. If they guy looks blanketed as the play develops, the QB must move on in the progression.  Hit the first open man. Brissett had (at least one or more) coverage sack(s), while waiting for a receiver to 'come open'.  QB's often don't get an extra 1-2 seconds after their drop back.

I'd rather see him dump off rather than get a sack or, especially, a strip sack while 'holding the ball too long (what many complained about tonight already!)

That’s exactly my major concern.  He seems to lock on to the primary receiver.

Oline has to get better. We only gave up 18 sacks last year. We are on pace for 40. Some of that will come I think as JB gets more comfortable and gets us in the correct protections. A lot of it was also the receivers  getting jammed and him trying to get it down field. Looked just like the KC game. Funchess would of helped a ton tonight. I think we actually took to many shots downfield. Using Parris or Hines more would of opened things up. Reich has got to use his imagination and start calling a more imaginative game plan.