Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Manning decision revisited.

Trace Pyott

I know that emotions are high on here so I will keep that in mind but knowing what lucks career ended up being, did we make the right decision by letting manning go?

Keep this in mind that I’m not talking about did we make the right choice then....but now with hindsight. I know that rationally it was the right choice to move on. We had a stud, “ once in a lifetime qb” fall into our laps but knowing what you know now, would you have let Peyton go when we could of won maybe one or two more sb with him and had him retire a colt and only colt? I’m interested in seeing what you guys think. 

1 minute ago, Trace Pyott said:

I know that emotions are high on here so I will keep that in mind but knowing what lucks career ended up being, did we make the right decision by letting manning go?

Keep this in mind that I’m not talking about did we make the right choice then....but now with hindsight. I know that rationally it was the right choice to move on. We had a stud, “ once in a lifetime qb” fall into our laps but knowing what you know now, would you have let Peyton go when we could of won maybe one or two more sb with him and had him retire a colt and only colt? I’m interested in seeing what you guys think. 

Yes. Even with the knowledge we have now, we did. It was best for Peyton and ultimately, best for the team . The team we had, wouldn’t have won another title with Peyton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trace Pyott said:

Hindsight only gives you one side of things. Whos to say we pass on luck and keep Manning that Manning doesn't go out there and gets hit once and Peyton is paralyzed and Luck wins x amount of Super Bowls. 

Gotta look at it both ways.  It is what it is. We are all have our emotions about all this but I'm still going to watch the game on Sundays and root for the COLT's. 

Manning was definitely great for us, but it was time for him to move on and time for us to move on from him. It would have been awesome to see him with us until his retirement, but the team was changing. I was glad to see he did not suffer a worse injury with Denver; it was a chance he took continuing to play and fortunately it paid off for him with another Super Bowl win... but that could have went the opposite way as well.  I think we parted ways when the time was right for both sides.

The Grigson hiring was the mistake.

We could have kept Peyton and traded the #1 draft pick for a bounty.

We could have hired a different GM in 2012 to build around Luck.

Either scenario would more likely have panned out better. Ours seems to have been the worst possible outcome.

Grigson was the mistake.

Manning, Luck... just shows how important it is to invest in your Offensive Line, a fact the Colts ignored for too many years. It cost us two franchise quaterbacks...

An by the way like Manning Luck had to carry the team on his back, maybe now we Ballard we finally get away from that and build a team and system that isn't build around one guy and I really hate the Pats but the reason they are succesfull is they have a great system in place that isn't depending on one person only.

• Like 1