Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Versatility on Defense

Some great conversations I have heard on some podcast is how this team is so versatile. We will be able to play certain players against certain teams.  That depending on the team will depend on who gets the most snaps. That is the sign of a great defense.

Aldo hearing them talk about Quincy Wilson’s versatility. Have heard a lot  about how he can play three different roles. That he even played a lot of the same role as Geathers. That could change things when it comes to how many safeties and cornerbacks we keep. We could keep more cornerbacks and less safeties knowing Wilson can play safety also.

• Like 1

I've had the same conversation with several buds that are huge fans. We all agree that we like versatility, but we're all afraid of that we might be getting away from bread and butter things. In short we like to be able to run ten different Ds, but we all question for instance if we would have been better served by going after an early iDL to shore up bread and butter. Some times you just need to keep it simple. I don't know the answer, but we'll start knowing in a few months :-)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This also goes back to the point ballard made on how he doesn’t want a team that matches up against any one team. He wants one where the opposing team has to try and match up with the colts.

all coaches/GMs say that kind of stuff. proof is in the pudding.... the draft pudding, the FA pudding, the coaching/play-calling pudding. we'll see.

11 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I've had the same conversation with several buds that are huge fans. We all agree that we like versatility, but we're all afraid of that we might be getting away from bread and butter things. In short we like to be able to run ten different Ds, but we all question for instance if we would have been better served by going after an early iDL to shore up bread and butter. Some times you just need to keep it simple. I don't know the answer, but we'll start knowing in a few months :-)

Last year not a single back rushed for 100 yards against our D, & that included Saquon Barkley & Ezekiel Elliot. I actually think we're on the right track as far as the DL goes, sure, adding some depth there would've been nice, but I don't necessarily view it as a weakness.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Last year not a single back rushed for 100 yards against our D, & that included Saquon Barkley & Ezekiel Elliot. I actually think we're on the right track as far as the DL goes, sure, adding some depth there would've been nice, but I don't necessarily view it as a weakness.

Last year is over and though they can confidently go into this year with that knowledge, we also play a different breed of QB this year that WILL challenge our entire defense. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Some great conversations I have heard on some podcast is how this team is so versatile. We will be able to play certain players against certain teams.  That depending on the team will depend on who gets the most snaps. That is the sign of a great defense.

Aldo hearing them talk about Quincy Wilson’s versatility. Have heard a lot  about how he can play three different roles. That he even played a lot of the same role as Geathers. That could change things when it comes to how many safeties and cornerbacks we keep. We could keep more cornerbacks and less safeties knowing Wilson can play safety also.

I heard Ballard talking up this Wilson versatility and how good Geathers looks.
For those that didn't catch it, against KC there were plays Kenny Moore was at safety. If, when we play 6 DB's, we will have some very talented players that could be anywhere. Eb has to be excited to coach these guys up to disguise our coverages. Oh ya!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Last year is over and though they can confidently go into this year with that knowledge, we also play a different breed of QB this year that WILL challenge our entire defense. 

Totally, but I understand why they didn't view IDL as a significant need the way that others do, & even with an elite group up front, great QBs will almost always have the upper hand.

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not worried about our run D. It's more about the pass rush, and the fact we're playing 7 of the 11 best passing Os this season.

If you count Justin Houston (10), we have 6 players that had double digit tackles for loss last year (more than any other team);

Hunt (13)

Autry (15)

Walker (11)

Sheard (15)

Leonard (13)

Houston (10)

No RB with 100 yards.

I will admit, I was hoping for that “big fatty” DT but Donald had 28 to lead the league and he weighs 280. When you think about it, you lose some lateral movement with most of those big guys. I’m interested to see how / when they utilize Stewart.

We should be above average against the run and be able to make teams one dimensional. 

• Like 1

Depending on how heavy the injuries are I think we should fair pretty good against the improved QB schedule. Mostly because I think we are really deep in the secondary. And we've got good matchup players to counter the offense.

Versatility is great to have on defense when used properly. Far too often coaches get too cute with it though and gameplan around that versatility.

Much easier to play matchups in baseball than football, in my opinion of course. But I digress.

Having a Quincy Wilson and Marvell Tell at corner that can coverdown at safety - while still having Desir, Moore, Rock, Hairston and/or Collins to play corner is an awesome luxury to have. 

Having a Banogu, Green, Turay and Nicholas with experience standing up and playing in space is a luxury.

Having Lewis, Hunt and Autry capable of sliding in and out on the defensive line is a luxury.

In our defense I honestly don't see many opportunities to gameplan too many wrinkles other than switching in and out of zone and man. If we line up with a rusher at SAM then the offense will be on alert to that switch....

Instead we use that versatility to create mismatches on passing downs by sliding Sheard and Houston inside with Turay and Banogu coming off the edge....

Or we slide Hunt and Autry outside with Grover Stewart and perhaps Reid inside on 3rd and short....

Versatility is also good for in game adjustments or injuries.

• Like 1