Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vote For Colts On Greatest Team Of All Time

bap1331

If you vote by actual talent and ability, I dont think any team from back then can beat any team now... guys are bigger stronger faster and smarter. Way more goes into games now then they did before. Any good team now would beat 72 dolphins.

only way old teams win is if you compare to how good they were in their generation vs how good newer teams are in this generation, but thats not who is actually better when it comes down to if they could actually play against each other.

If you vote by actual talent and ability, I dont think any team from back then can beat any team now... guys are bigger stronger faster and smarter. Way more goes into games now then they did before. Any good team now would beat 72 dolphins.

only way old teams win is if you compare to how good they were in their generation vs how good newer teams are in this generation, but thats not who is actually better when it comes down to if they could actually play against each other.

Well, that argument works both ways. If you gave today's players the nutrition and training of the older players then they would not be as big, strong, or fast either.

I want to say 72 Phins because they did go undefeated...but I find so many of those guys so annoying

Agreed. Just love seeing Mercury Morris in interviews anytime a team goes undefeated deep in a season and all he can do is completely bad mouth that team. Seriously?!?

Agreed. Just love seeing Mercury Morris in interviews anytime a team goes undefeated deep in a season and all he can do is completely bad mouth that team. Seriously?!?

It's so annoying to watch. I immediately change the channel anytime a member of that 72 Phins team is on TV

They aren't smarter. Ever studied anatomy? The brain doesn't change in form or function from one generation to the next. As far as bigger and faster, that's all by design. These guys aren't naturally bigger (avg male height was 6'0" then, it's 5'10 1/2" now, etc), they are just training at an earlier age, and with lots of "supplemental assistance."

If you gave those guys the same training regimen, and wealth of strategic and coaching plans, they would be every bit as good as the guys now. Maybe better, because they were players, whereas now they are bred as athletes who just so happen to play.

They aren't smarter. Ever studied anatomy? The brain doesn't change in form or function from one generation to the next. As far as bigger and faster, that's all by design. These guys aren't naturally bigger (avg male height was 6'0" then, it's 5'10 1/2" now, etc), they are just training at an earlier age, and with lots of "supplemental assistance."

If you gave those guys the same training regimen, and wealth of strategic and coaching plans, they would be every bit as good as the guys now. Maybe better, because they were players, whereas now they are bred as athletes who just so happen to play.

I know a lot about anatomy, i work in the field. By smarter I meant the difference in preparation and game planning, not brain function. just because ppl have same working brains doesnt mean one cant be smarter.

If the guys back then had all the same technology and everything else it wouldnt be a 1960 or 70 team, it would be a team from now. I do not disagree that if the guys had the things they do now they would have been better. But in 1960 and 70 they didnt,

If its a old team verses a new team it is exaxtly that. The old day players vs todays players and in that todays players are better.

And the average height of the average american is not the same of the average football player in the NFL but the yes the change in height has only went up a couple of inches in most positions and went down a little in RB.

According to a 2006 ESPN article, "The average weight in the NFL has grown by 10 percent since 1985 to a current average of 248 pounds. The heaviest position, offensive tackle, went from 281 pounds two decades ago to 318 pounds."

In 1970, only one N.F.L. player weighed as much as 300 pounds, according to a survey conducted by The Associated Press. That number has expanded like players’ waistlines from three 300-pounders in 1980 to 94 in 1990, 301 in 2000, 394 in 2009 and 532 as training camps began in 2010.

But I did say -only way old teams win is if you compare to how good they were in their generation vs how good newer teams are in this generation in my other post because that accounts for the technology difference.

Below are links to support everything I said

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/sports/football/29weight.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=493